• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft sales down (since WD was last yr), posts losses in first half of fiscal year.

Adry9

Ubisoft has reported weakened sales and a net loss for the first half of its current fiscal year. The company anticipates a significant turnaround heading into the second half of the year, with a heavy release schedule through March 31.

Ubisoft sales for the first half slid 57 percent to €207.3 million ($), but came in above targets. Ubisoft says that the presence of Watch Dogs in the first half of last year helped push sales significantly higher. The company posted operating losses of €107.8 million ($) and €65.7 million in net losses.

Ubisoft did note that digital revenue is up significantly compared to the first half of last fiscal year. Full game and add-ons sold via digital distribution mechanisms now represent 48.3 percent of total sales, up from 27.8 percent in the same period.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Liberate thread if old.

EDIT: These do NOT include AC: Syndicate.

Full Report
Slides

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

Nephtes

That's what you get when you remove the best part of AC:Unity (4 player co-op) from AC:Syndicate ... (not that it was part of last fiscal year, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to keep harping on it)

And you know, also making the same damn game out of all your franchises...

Seriously, how many more towers are you going to make me climb to unlock bits of the map?

This was cute in 2007... But it's 2015 now...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, I mean, they haven't really released anything so far this fiscal year while last year they released Watch Dogs, so their sales were destined to be down.

Beyond that, their digital revenue is very poor, so they're not going to have consistent revenue from DLC and microtransactions to offset costs if they don't release games.

Nikodemos

And the shark (Vivendi) has started circling them too. Guess they smelled blood in the water when Gameloft posted losses last month and expected Ubi to do the same.

Kill3r7

Not surprising, they did not have a major AAA release the first half of this year. Plus they only have AC and Rainbow Six, not out yet, for all of 2015.

Kathian

Banned
Their decision to have parts of the company develop smaller games suggest a lack of productivity across the firm. Won't be helped by nothing making up for AC; lack of more Watch Dogs and by Rainbow Six likely bombing.

Their format is really struggling and too many games with similar ideas and a real lack of polish.

Compared to Activision and EA their in a really shit position.

Jeels

That's what you get when you remove the best part of AC:Unity (4 player co-op) from AC:Syndicate ... (not that it was part of last fiscal year, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to keep harping on it)

Seriously, how many more towers are you going to make me climb to unlock bits of the map?

This is first half of 2014 compared to first half of 2015. Has nothing to do with AC.

Prepare for no one to read the OP or linked article. Post above is case in point. EDIT: Ha! Nice edit, dude. I love when people edit their shit to play off not reading the OP.

This shouldn't be surprising with no major releases. The digital increase, however, is quite interesting.

Setsuna

What did Ubisoft even release during the first half of this year?

Edit:rogue was all they released and that was just for PC

The conf call is now starting. It will be very interesting given the current war against the Guillemot family and Vivendi for the ownership of Ubisoft.

Adry9

Prepare for no one to read the OP or linked article. Post above is case in point.

This shouldn't be surprising with no major releases. The digital increase, however, is quite interesting.

It says that now represent more percentage of the sales but that may well because of no major releases and profits coming from their back-catalog (prices online decrease quicker). Reading the press release now for more info.

Nephtes

This is first half of 2014 compared to first half of 2015. Has nothing to do with AC.

Far Cry makes me climb towers to unlock bits of map... Also Watch_Dogs... Sooo... Yeah once you get past the part in my quote where I say it had nothing to do with AC Syndicate... ... ...it has to do with the other stuff.

All their games are AC at this point. :p
(except the ones that aren't... Rayman, Child of Light, etc. Not that anyone bought those in any kind of quantity).

EDIT: Ha! Nice edit, dude. I love when people edit their shit to play off not reading the OP.

Is it ironic that you quoted my edited post and didn't read what you were quoting and then had to edit your own post to reflect that you didn't read what I wrote? ^_^

SURGEdude

Wish I could say it was gamers getting smarter but looking at the releases its not really surprising they didn't do great.

Adry9

You guys should read the slides at least. Pretty interesting from a business stand point, not looking so good for us gamers though lol

yurinka

These numbers aren't bad, guys. Sales are down and have loses but the numbers are better than their projection for a period with non-high profile releases, and improved on back catalog sales and digital.

Numbers posted here still don't include there their main titles like AC Syndicate or Just Dance, which are going to be very likely great sellers as always. And well, for the other half of the year in addition to them they are also going to have stuff like Rainbow Six, Far Cry or The Division. They are going to have a great FY.

maltrain

They deserve it.

Now learn:

One GREAT Assassin's Creed every two years.

One GREAT Far Cry every two years.

Never again show trailers far better than the final game.

More little and great games like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts.

And, above all... don't fuck up with The Division and For Honor!!!

maltrain

Sales are down and have loses but the numbers are better than their projection, and the numbers still don't include AC Syndicate or Just Dance which are going to be very likely great sellers as always. These numbers aren't bad, guys.

I can guarantee you that AC Syndicate wasn't a "great seller".

Far Cry makes me climb towers to unlock bits of map... Also Watch_Dogs... Sooo... Yeah once you get past the part in my quote where I say it had nothing to do with AC Syndicate... ... ...it has to do with the other stuff.

You don't climb tower in Watch Dogs.

Their decision to have parts of the company develop smaller games suggest a lack of productivity across the firm. Won't be helped by nothing making up for AC; lack of more Watch Dogs and by Rainbow Six likely bombing.

Their format is really struggling and too many games with similar ideas and a real lack of polish.

Compared to Activision and EA their in a really shit position.

Wat.

They are very much working on a bunch of stuff. AC just came out, Rainbow 6, The Division and Far Cry are all slated for early next year and production is surely ramping up on WatchDogs 2: WatchDoggier and that medieval moba thing. Lack of productivity? As if they've never put smaller games out before?

I suppose the question now is "can Ubisoft remain productive enough to stay consistently profitable amidst rising costs as the market contracts and priorities shift to more expensive products?"

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
More like "this is what happens when you don't release a big game in the first half of the year when you did the year before"
Shhhh...

I can guarantee you that AC Syndicate wasn't a "great seller".
Oh please inform us how.

You guys should read the slides at least. Pretty interesting from a business stand point, not looking so good for us gamers though lol
You'd expect them to be more outraged about what their plans are for more multiplayer titles but that would require reading the slides. >_>

Nephtes

You don't climb tower in Watch Dogs.

You scale multiple buildings virtually by hacking various systems and cameras climb, digitally mind you, to a server, or some such, to unlock your hacking abilities and missions for that quadrant of the map.

It's basically the same thing.

Adry9

Extra content at 42 M€, 20% of total revenues

DLC 20% of total revenues.

The problem is not low sales, but too high budgets I feel.

There is no problem, Ubisoft future is looking pretty good, they even beat the predicted sales for this period.

Elios83

Ubisoft has struggled to create successful new IPs this gen.
Watch Dogs ended up being a disappointment and won't be a new AC for them, although they could fix it and make a great sequel in a similar way to the AC1->AC2 transition.
For Honor seems to have great graphics and an interesting fighting system, but it will be focused on multiplayer so they're losing single player gamers here.
The Division....they have already downgraded it and it has disappeared from the scene...
Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia and other series seems to be dead :/
There is the unannounced game with Micheal Ancel but who knows when it's coming out.
I hope they have more surprises in store.

ViciousDS

Banned

The tacked on Co-Op was the worst fucking part of unity for me.....gladly bought syndicate due a good solo experience.

Watch Dogs ended up being a disappointment and won't be a new AC for them, although they could fix it and make a great sequel in a similar way to the AC1->AC2 transition.
For Honor seems to have great graphics and an interesting fighting system, but it will be focused on multiplayer so they're losing single player gamers here.
The Division....they have already downgraded it and it has disappeared from the scene...
There is the unannounced game with Micheal Ancel but who knows when it's coming out.
I hope they have more suprises in store.

prepare for information blowout here real soon.....we already know from folks under NDA that near the end of this month or the start of next we will be getting a lot of Division info.

The beta is only a month away.

GeeTeeCee

I'm struggling to remember if Ubisoft had a history of big first half of the year releases, or if Watch Dogs is the only notable one they've had in recent times.

Wasn't WD only coming out early in the year because it suffered a delay?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm looking forward to Assassins_Creed, when the two universes finally come together.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I hope they have more suprises in store.
So much wrong in this post.
Wtf the fuck are you talking about
-WD was their most successful IP ever sales wise.
-The Crew was also successful.
-For Honor has a single player campaign
-The Division's marketing starts this month
-Their sales are over expectations
Let's not do that thing where we confuse personal feelings with facts.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Either Ubisoft doesn't know Splatoon exists or they missed an opportunity to take a jab at it.

It's probably because...

First half of 2014:
Child of Light
Might and Magic X: Legacy
South Park: Stick of Truth
Trials Fusion
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Watch Dogs

First half of 2015:
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
Grow Home (PC only)

entremet

Ubi made a killing during the Wii/DS days on both platforms. With Nintendo struggling this generation, that's a cash cow that disappeared.

They're also publishing fewer games overall.

They deserve it.

Now learn:

One GREAT Assassin's Creed every two years.

One GREAT Far Cry every two years.

Actually, they seem to think the opposite.

GRWUiEJ.png

For the purposes of this report, their big issue is no major 1H releases this year. Next year has the Division and Primal.

Honestly, we need the next quarter or the full year to see if they have a problem with their tentpole releases.

You scale multiple buildings virtually by hacking various systems and cameras climb, digitally mind you, to a server, or some such, to unlock your hacking abilities and missions for that quadrant of the map.

It's basically the same thing.

But it's not, gameplay wise it's not the same.

Top Bottom