• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Director of Subscriptions: Gamers need to feel "comfortable with not owning your game"

xVodevil

Am I missing the point here? What's the news here? Do I own any of my steam library? Or for that matter probably my last retail game MGS V that came with a cd key in a box and only steam installer on disc?
I don't like it but given not much of a choice.. it is what it is.
Recently had to go without internet for 3 or so days due to a cable being cut in, well now that was kinda hilarious how I couldn't launch even GTA V due to authentication...
Anyway still much more comfortable with a good old fashioned digital SP game then the always online bullshit creeping into more and more games that should have no business with it whatsoever..

ZoukGalaxy

Confortable with corporates practices and giving them unlimited money to play my games instead of paying once ?

Nah, FUCK YOU

homer simpson middle finger GIF

Last edited:

CLW

Ubisoft Director needs to get comfortable with being unemployed homeless and dying in some street alley in a pool of your own vomit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
People that buy digital should already be comfortable with this, especially on console. I mean, if they weren't ok with the idea of buying a "license", they'd buy physical.
That’s not really true though. If buying physical meant I would 100% always be able to put that disc in and play the game, I’d agree (and I’d be buying mostly physical games then) but it doesn’t. Many times games don’t even come with the full game on the disc now, they require a download/day 1 patch. Some companies even went so far to basically put nothing on the disc and require a download. Holding a disc no longer means you can play the game anytime you want or are safe for the future if servers gone down.

I wish all companies would at least release a “complete edition” physical copy a year or so after release that is feature complete and patched completely, all on the disc. Even if only for a limited run.

Bond007

If this is his attitude, I can say with confidence that I am very much on board with not owning any Ubisoft games. Or indeed handing over any money to them whatsoever.

I can assure you this is not only UbiSoft's mentality.
We can likely safely assume Sony nor Nintendo likely have this mentality due to their stakes in physical media.

Yep, this guy is just saying out loud what most companies are thinking and planning for. People owning anything on any level is bad news for companies whose stock/growth/street performance requires you be hooked to their subscription service teet.

AGRacing

Well I AM comfortable not owning the new “Crew” game or Just Dance. Extremely comfortable. Maybe we can meet halfway.

Arachnid

I'm alright with not owning movies because it's like 7 dollars a month to access something I want and I pirate everything else. Make a gamepass-like service that cheap, and everyone will be fine with it.

A high asking price for not owning my games will never sell though. I'll pirate every time. Music is also basically free at this point.

Last edited:
With adult priorities, time is tight. I was still able to beat Lost Crown in 3 weeks on a Ubisoft subscription. I was comfortable giving this genius $17, the game is wrung out, and now Ubisoft now has -$33 thanks to his grift.

Also, I found out that Avatar is probably worth $20 on sale, like I thought. However, the game made me motion sick, so there goes another $20 for Ubi.

Good luck out there, it’s brutal.

cireza

🤷

Last Ubisoft game I bought was Zombi U.

Though I am interested in the Farcry that gives you a dachshund as a sidekick. 🌭
Same here. And before it was the first Ass Creed on 360. I don't think I ever bought anything else from them, unless we go back to the 16 bits consoles (Street Racer).

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
edit: I was wrong haha sorry mckmas8808 mckmas8808

But that entire quote is just him talking about subscriptions.

He also said;

"The point is not to force users to go down one route or another," he explains. "We offer purchase, we offer subscription, and it's the gamer's preference that is important here. We are seeing some people who buy choosing to subscribe now, but it all works."

There’s no reason for anyone to force these subs on you.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Maybe it's just the circles I'm in, but I don't know anyone who has been hyped for a Ubisoft game. I imagine it's people who buy their games since their still in business, but man their fans sure are quite about it lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom