• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Director of Subscriptions: Gamers need to feel "comfortable with not owning your game"

Killer8

I don't know why he's framing it as physical vs digital, ie. you either have your physical collection of discs or you fully embrace an owner-less subscription service. It's a false choice because digital ownership has been a thing now for two decades.

Also "engagement" has to be one of the most miserable words this industry has ever discovered, next to "content".

nikos

You don't own pretty much anything you've purchased digitally. I honestly couldn't care less. It hasn't gone anywhere, and if it ever does there are ways of reacquiring it easily. At that point I probably won't care about it anyway.

The only media I continue to buy physically is vinyl and some films.

Last edited:

mystech

Once again we are reminded that publicly traded companies are great for investors and bad for customers.

Notice I used the word “CUSTOMER”… that customer concept seems to be slipping away as these new companies see people as “CONSUMERS”. There’s a much different treatment between customers and consumers. You take care of your customers so they come back to you. The power is in the customers hands to vote with their dollar. With the consumer model, the power is with the company and they will give us whatever they throw together that’s good for their investors.

It’s not in app purchases or GAAS that’s ruining this industry right now. It’s the nature of publicly traded companies. Just look what it did to the medical industry…

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Boombox Shut Up GIF

Well we had s huge quality drop off in shows the last few years. There a few exceptions like stranger things but most shows aint very good. Iam confident that the same will happen in gaming if less and less people buy games. So no thank you.

It's already been happening but yes I fear it'll get much worse. I HATE the idea of a subscription based gaming industry. I like to own games

simpatico

Genius. Ubisoft has been making their games disposable for the last decade just for this reason. They’ve succeeded. It has been a long time since I wanted to own a Ubi game.

Jesb

It won't be long, ladies and gents, until we stop having the option to buy these games outright, and the only way to "enjoy" them will be with a shitty sub. When that happens, I'm out.
And I hope that’s when we witness the next videogame crash. Perhaps the final dagger in video gamers hearts and never get them back.

Last edited:

MacReady13

How about guys like him and Phil Spencer fuck right off with this shit?!? Many of us would love to continue owning what we pay for. So really mate, just fuck off with this bullshit. You can push sub services all you want but many of us won’t budge. Change it and many of us are out for good.

I wish they'd done this years ago. When I left the UK I threw away/gave away every disc I owned as it was too difficult to transport them. If I'd owned a digital license they would have gone with me, clutter free.

xrnzaaas

It's funny how he's mentioning owning collections of DVD's while movies & tv shows are being removed from the digital libraries of people who paid for them. Or how digital versions can always be censored to get rid of the "outdated" themes. You can't do that with a disc version unless you break into my house.

Majormaxxx

I wish they'd done this years ago. When I left the UK I threw away/gave away every disc I owned as it was too difficult to transport them. If I'd owned a digital license they would have gone with me, clutter free.
He's not talking about digital licenses. He's talking about new gaas products. If we had gaas products back in the day when you moved, by now the servers could be already off and everything would be gone to make place for the modern gaas sequels with improved monetization.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I just don't get this mentality. IF you buy something you own it. If you rent something you can use it for as long as you continue to rent.

I personal don't have any real commitment to older games as I view them was movies and play and move on. However if you're selling me something and I buy it you transfer the rights and ownership to me. I should be able to sell it at my will when I deem it un wanted, and I should be able to play it on original medium 30 years from now without issue.

What they are doing is making the case and encouraging people to pirate more. Offer subscription models but when someone buys your product they should get different rights to the media.

Paltheos

That's some 'talking out of both sides of your mouth' bullshit. Gamers are concerned about progress disappearing because services have and do continue to disappear, and if he's insightful enough to identify that concern, he would know the most direct address would be to claim that Ubisoft's services would never go offline. Since he knows however that that's obviously impossible and that saying that would put him more directly into the line of fire, he crafted a statement that succeeds at saying nothing while still asking us to acquiesce regardless. I get ya, Philippe - You do what you gotta do. That's cowardly, but I get ya.

ByWatterson

I mean he makes a good point about people streaming music and movies nowadays. No one cares.

Gamers will come around eventually. But his revenues wont. Movies have the box office to recoup their money. Taylor Swift goes on tour and makes a hundred million per tour. If not more. the streaming is just extra revenue for them.

It works in music because it's a democratization. Streaming created the democratization of music.

But digital and Steam in particular already did that for games. It's just a different product.

Last edited:
Gamers are funny in their ignorance and superiority complex.
Ubi games might be too casual for the self proclaimed pros but they are great with cloud saves, I think lately even cross platform. And also the quality of the games is actually high. Much filler maybe in their open world endeavors, but no true turd in the past years

The point is totally correct, people who like to own their games won't like subs but those who don't care about owning something that they usually play once and then be done with it can love subs, even when "losing" all the rented content at one point in the future. I can understand collecting stuff but in gaming I shifted almost entirely to a cinema like one time experience model. I guess it would be weird if Sony shuts down tomorrow, but I played what I wanted to play for less than if I had to pay physical. Also minus the plastic clutter and boxes.

londontko

Every time this subject comes up everyone gets in here and starts REEEEEEEEEEEE'ing and just sperging out, it's as bad as ResetEra. No one really provides any meaningful argument or counter-point just 'FUCK THIS GREEDY PIG', 'HOW BOUT NO ASSHOLE'.

He's 100% right, and the point that keeps getting missed is that just like the vast majority of media today that's available through streaming, YOU HAVE THE OPTION.

I love game pass, I don't care if games come and go, but if I did I could just buy them. Unless the argument is that eventually they will stop making physical copies, but that hasn't happened yet and isn't even being proposed?

You guys can cling to your physical media all you want but it's becoming an increasingly esoteric viewpoint that isn't rooted in reality with the mainstream consumer wants. Enjoy yelling into your echo chamber but that isn't going to stop the future.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Once again we are reminded that publicly traded companies are great for investors and bad for customers.

Notice I used the word “CUSTOMER”… that customer concept seems to be slipping away as these new companies see people as “CONSUMERS”. There’s a much different treatment between customers and consumers. You take care of your customers so they come back to you. The power is in the customers hands to vote with their dollar. With the consumer model, the power is with the company and they will give us whatever they throw together that’s good for their investors.

It’s not in app purchases or GAAS that’s ruining this industry right now. It’s the nature of publicly traded companies. Just look what it did to the medical industry…
To be fair, big business and investors and stock prices go hand in hand with how well the company performs. And if the company is raking in the sales and profits it means they are doing something right with customers, consumers etc... In which stock goes up. If customers/consumers hate sub plans then sales would be trash and the company would spiral down the toilet.

If people cared that much about physical ownership, nobody would sub to gaming or movie plans. And DVD/BR sales would be like the 2006 hey days and not a fraction of what they are now.... disc sales have probably dropped like 90%. And nobody back in the day would rent games for $5 over a weekend either. They'd just save up money and buy each game for $50. I did my share of renting games for $2/day or $5 over 3 days.

Monthly cable TV subs are similar. The only difference is that it has live TV like news and sports. But most stuff you can just wait and buy TV episodes digitally or as DVD sets. But most people still have cable subs, watch TV shows and never own them.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is coming from Philippe Tremblay, Director of Subscription at Ubisoft:

Full article available at GiBiz:
The problems for all these companies, which is inversely why MS started buying all these big publishers to consolidate most of the industry, is that the premise of giving people something new to play constantly to feed their ADHD addiction is not sustainable even by designing games for this. Lowering quality, pushing out more games with less of a critical look at the concept or gameplay polish, etc. even then they are all too little to rule their own little turf like little despots.

So, for them, if they really wanted this utopia, it would be on someone else’s platform (like Steam, Gog, GamePass, PS+, etc…) at which point the real owner kind of becomes the live platform where gamers actually end up getting the games on more than each of the publishers.

So how comfortable are you Ubisoft of not owning your own games I ask you ;)?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm trying to think of how many videogame cartridges and CDs/DVDs I bought that are now floating in the ocean because I don't care about owning junk.

A lot.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
The amount of users here who are defending and celebrating a future which embraces a non-ownership of media and culture is alarming. You think you're going to be better off by giving more power to publishers and media conglomerates?

Truly, you are useful idiots.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Every time this subject comes up everyone gets in here and starts REEEEEEEEEEEE'ing and just sperging out, it's as bad as ResetEra. No one really provides any meaningful argument or counter-point just 'FUCK THIS GREEDY PIG', 'HOW BOUT NO ASSHOLE'.

He's 100% right, and the point that keeps getting missed is that just like the vast majority of media today that's available through streaming, YOU HAVE THE OPTION.

I love game pass, I don't care if games come and go, but if I did I could just buy them. Unless the argument is that eventually they will stop making physical copies, but that hasn't happened yet and isn't even being proposed?

You guys can cling to your physical media all you want but it's becoming an increasingly esoteric viewpoint that isn't rooted in reality with the mainstream consumer wants. Enjoy yelling into your echo chamber but that isn't going to stop the future.

Options are great. But that's not the language he's using in that paragraph.

"That's the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection."

The implication is there, even if he may not have intended it.

Top Bottom