• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Director of Subscriptions: Gamers need to feel "comfortable with not owning your game"

Get bent and get fucked you condescending moron. Gamers have a right to want to own what they spend THEIR money on. Not what some corporate clown tells them they need to get used to. Ubisoft and it’s management can piss off! This is the type of shite that I hope ruins Ubisoft or any other company bold enough to embrace this mentality. They won’t get any more of my money. I hope they go under from this.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I mean, he’s the director of Subscriptions. Of course he’s going to say this. His entire mission is to get people away from buying games and getting them in the Ubi+ ecosystem.
Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Klayzer

Yep, basically stanning against customer rights. It’s freaking mind boggling. Even if you don’t use it, it’s always good to have options and by it’s very presence physical games help curtail some of the otherwise inevitable digital shenanigans.
I refuse to believe that these are regular gamers. Company plants and shills, are on every gaming site spreading paid bullshit. Nobody in their right (not bought) mind would agree with any of that nonsense.

Every time this subject comes up everyone gets in here and starts REEEEEEEEEEEE'ing and just sperging out, it's as bad as ResetEra. No one really provides any meaningful argument or counter-point just 'FUCK THIS GREEDY PIG', 'HOW BOUT NO ASSHOLE'.

He's 100% right, and the point that keeps getting missed is that just like the vast majority of media today that's available through streaming, YOU HAVE THE OPTION.

I love game pass, I don't care if games come and go, but if I did I could just buy them. Unless the argument is that eventually they will stop making physical copies, but that hasn't happened yet and isn't even being proposed?

You guys can cling to your physical media all you want but it's becoming an increasingly esoteric viewpoint that isn't rooted in reality with the mainstream consumer wants. Enjoy yelling into your echo chamber but that isn't going to stop the future.
No, we don't have options anymore... Companies, like MS or SEGA lately, are doing their best to kill physical mediums, but things are changing.

People, including youths, are starting to realize how fuck they are with online subs, they now understand they own nothing. It's impossible for consumers to watch certain movies online, they neither have never been online or were removed. Meanwhile, more and more people are buying physical music. Last year, there were more vinyls sold than in the year 1990. Even CD and cassettes are making a come back! It's now a mark of a counterculture to own things, so it's cool again!

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Then I hope the director/investors are also comfortable with not owning my money either 😂 cuz I ain't buying shit from them or get in on subscriptions.The only one I still have is Nintendo Online sub for the retro console titles otherwise I wouldn't give a shit about that either.

This is not my gaming future! If they focus on only subscriptions in the future and eliminate the option to buy and own a product then I'll focus on retro gaming and all these companies can die the greedy deaths they so long for.

Ywap

I am a big consumer of Ubi games but with the new 20 euro pricetag i will go from day 1 with Ubisoft+ subscription to wait for deep discounts.

And the "Classics" holds very little value for me since most old games are not Ultimate Editions that includes all DLC:s released.

All in all 👎

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

These sub services need to be more pro consumer. They are just greedy.

Let's say I want to play AC Valhalla. That is at least 100 hours. Let's say I have a busy life and manage to squeeze in 2 hrs per day. So that means I complete the game in 3-4 months. And I pay ubishit 4 * $18 = 72 dollars. How does this make sense for a consumer. Get effed clowns.

Get bent and get fucked you condescending moron. Gamers have a right to want to own what they spend THEIR money on. Not what some corporate clown tells them they need to get used to. Ubisoft and it’s management can piss off! This is the type of shite that I hope ruins Ubisoft or any other company bold enough to embrace this mentality. They won’t get any more of my money. I hope they go under from this.
Mate calm down for crying out loud, he's not forcing you into anything he's just stating what the subscription model is. You are also allowed to buy games, choices are better for everyone and they can coexist. Relax you'll live longer 😃

Chastten

Banned
I personally think 'lack of ownership' isn't the biggest hurdle for most people. Moreso the fact you have to subscribe to a gazzillion different sub platforms to have acces to everything. It's just capitalism taking things too far. None of these companies are satisfied with just a piece of the pie. They all want the entire thing.

And there's the thing, none of these companies offer enough games to justify the monthly fee. Looking at my own games library, the three companies I play the most games from are Nintendo, KoeiTecmo and SquareEnix but even so, I would never subscribe to a GamePass model for any of these companies alone. Just not enough content, I'd rather just buy the games. If you were to combine them together into a single subscription though? That might interest me enough to subscribe. Add Sega/Atlus and a few smaller Japanese publishers and we're golden. I would easily pay €25-30 a month for that.

It's the same for movies. I liked when Netflix was the only one and had sufficient content to justify the pricetag. Nowadays I just went back to pirating. Can't be arsed to subscribe to a million different services just to watch a few movies each month.

Last edited:

Let's say I want to play AC Valhalla. That is at least 100 hours. Let's say I have a busy life and manage to squeeze in 2 hrs per day. So that means I complete the game in 3-4 months. And I pay ubishit 4 * $18 = 72 dollars. How does this make sense for a consumer. Get effed clowns.
Excuse me but this is a very dumb comment, how are you suggesting that a person will only play 1 game over the course 4 months? That's a flawed method of equating value don't you think?

Majormaxxx

Excuse me but this is a very dumb comment, how are you suggesting that a person will only play 1 game over the course 4 months? That's a flawed method of equating value don't you think?
You are excused for making your dumb comment.

How many hours do you intend to game per day? Do you actually finish games? Do you know that ubisoft games are generally very very long? Or do you just want to SAMPLE games? Well yea, then subs make sense. Play a new game every day and never finish anything.

You are excused for making your dumb comment.

How many hours do you intend to game per day? Do you actually finish games? Do you know that ubisoft games are generally very very long? Or do you just want to SAMPLE games? Well yea, then subs make sense. Play a new game every day and never finish anything.
No mate you said if I want to play Ass Creed Valhalla, that's all you mentioned 1 game. What kind of thought process is that if you've subscribed to a gaming platform?

Your comment doesn't make sense because you've basically taken everything positive about the subscription model and focused on your one naive and narrow-minded viewpoint. Only a fool pays for a subscription service to only play 1 game over the course of 4 months 🤣 think next time before posting, although you are funny 😅

Braag

People have gotten way smarter with subscription services compares to 5-6 years ago.
No one I know just subs to something and then forgets about it.
People keep cancelling and subbing to different stuff depending on what they want to watch.
That's gonna happen to gaming too as these services increase. You'll see people paying a month of something to play the games they want to play and then immediately cancel it.
In the long run some games would make more money with people buying them rather than paying $10 to play it day one and then cancel the sub.
But this industry is fixated in this crap so godspeed to them.

Hudo

It won't be long, ladies and gents, until we stop having the option to buy these games outright, and the only way to "enjoy" them will be with a shitty sub. When that happens, I'm out.
If there's no way to sail the high seas, I am out as well.

I will never ever pay for a subscription service.

chilichote

Aren't they already? This Ubi we're talking about after all.
Yes, that's true in a way and yet the games are much better than most of the things in the Android store, for example - for me the games there are the epitome of soulless mass-produced goods. I don't care if I own them, they cost nothing or only a little and if I don't feel like using them anymore, I forget about them faster than I could install them^^

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Death No GIF

The only sub I pay for these days is Amazon Prime because of the free shipping, I don't pay for any video subscription services because they are all shit, not a single one of them are worth the price anymore.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

That's why I think these kinds of services only makes sense for people who can play games all day and night every day. It is like it is planned to keep the already addicted even more addicted.

I don't think the value is worth it for most people who have somewhat of a life. This is the math these guys don't want you to know. It is much more affordable to wait for a deep sale and pay a 1/4.

Kupfer

One subscription active atm. PS+ Essential. Right now I'm thinking about just do 2 month/year (once every 6months) from now on just to keep my cloud saves for my PS3/PS4.
IIRC you can backup PS3 and PS4 saves on a USB stick.

DaGwaphics

I've been renting games for decades. I don't mind not owning some of the games I play. I'll buy the ones I really want.

Exactly. Nothing is stopping someone from buying something that they've rented if it is something they would like to always have in their collection.

Kupfer

Can you do it without having a PS3 or PS4 available though?
Nope, I don't think so.
But you could use a friend's console for this.
I would like it more to have the save files locally stored than renew a subscription now and then. What happens, if you forget about it? Will the savegames be deleted after 6 months?

I still have my Vita, PS3 and PS4, need to do to backup some files I guess. My PS+ essential sub is running out in some months and I'm not going to renew it.

Get bent and get fucked you condescending moron. Gamers have a right to want to own what they spend THEIR money on. Not what some corporate clown tells them they need to get used to. Ubisoft and it’s management can piss off!
Mate calm down for crying out loud, he's not forcing you into anything he's just stating what the subscription model is. You are also allowed to buy games, choices are better for everyone and they can coexist. Relax you'll live longer 😃
Haha……yes mate I know you’re right. I just get a bit annoyed when I see some corporate wanker telling consumers to just accept the shite they are pushing on us.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
"But as people embrace that model, they will see that these games will exist, the service will continue, and you'll be able to access them when you feel like. That's reassuring."
Wouldn't it be great if this quote opened UBI up to lawsuits anytime they pull a game from service? I hope so, just to put this fucker and his company in their place.

Last edited:
This is so stupid. I think a heavy majority of gamers don't give a shit about "owning" their games as a most buy digitally now (I have personally for like 7 years now). Maybe people don't want to pay for a dumb ass sub service that provides next to no value. Video games aren't the same as music and movies. With music, you get a FULL catalog of basically everything. You can use the sub wherever to, at home, at work, driving, at the gym, etc. As for movies, they are so much shorter than games. You realistically can watch 3 or 4 movies a day if that was you main hobby, which would take about 8 hours. How far are you getting in a game in that amount of time, past the first section? I really see no way in which subs work for gaming long term. It's way too expensive for what you actually get.

Last edited:

Alebrije

People must feel confortable not owning houses,cars, properties, etc. Videogames are the less important stuff about this way of think that prevails on most bigger cities.

Del_X

People that buy digital should already be comfortable with this, especially on console. I mean, if they weren't ok with the idea of buying a "license", they'd buy physical.

Longcat

"But as people embrace that model, they will see that these games will exist, the service will continue, and you'll be able to access them when you feel like. That's reassuring."

Coming from the same company that recently ripped DLC content out of loads of their old games. Unfuckingbelievable.

Top Bottom