• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Stevey

Nice OT, subbing for impressions.
I put like 120 hours into PoE, but this just isn't appealing to me for some reason.

Nzyme32

Cool little bit of info from the AMA:

The biggest challenge has been our level of choice & reactivity in the game. We've mentioned before that there are 4 major quest paths through the game, which give you very different quests, NPCs you interact with, storylines, etc. Weaving all of those paths together through the various areas of the game has been a challenge.
It's taken a lot of dedicated work from our design, narrative, and QA teams to have this all come together in a way that we're proud of. It's been a lot of work, and I hope that everyone enjoys seeing the different stories as much as we've enjoyed creating them.

Moff

the more I hear/read the more I'm hyped
I am just still confused how little exposure this game got so far, general hype seems to be super low compared to POE

Anno

That was actually a pretty solid AMA after scrolling past the first few questions. I like that so many people replied saying they would love to make a game with one of the White Wolf properties. My fingers are definitely crossed.

Shepard

I am just still confused how little exposure this game got so far, general hype seems to be super low compared to POE
POE had the successful Kickstart campaign going for it, giving it early word of mouth/ advertising. Bought mine from nuuvem, they are offering an extra 10% discount on top of the launch 10% one. Use the code nuuvem10. Don't know if it works outside Brazil

Vamphuntr

I would have been so frustrated if I was doing that AMA. My god people are annoying. Half of the questions aren't even related to the game. Are you working on fallout? Are you working on Alpha Protocol? Are you working on KOTOR 3? Are you making more isometric RPG. Cue the romance question. One of the worst crime Bioware has commited is to unleash the Bioware Social forum on the internet.

Sou Da

I would have been so frustrated if I was doing that AMA. My god people are annoying. Half of the questions aren't even related to the game. Are you working on fallout? Are you working on Alpha Protocol? Are you working on KOTOR 3? Are you making more isometric RPG. Cue the romance question. One of the worst crime Bioware has commited is to unleash the Bioware Social forum on the internet.

This is all shit people ask on the Obsidian forum every year lol.

Anyways good stream here: twitch.tv/bikeman

Nzyme32

Yeah I know what you mean. Having said that, there's people like me who are super interested in the game but too lazy to get into all that trying to ask questions, and just watch other do the q&a instead, which doesn't really help that situation

Corpekata

Banned

This is the story of pretty much every AMA. People want to promote something, get asked about all the stuff people already like. And to be fair, I think that's part of the bargain. Not many people going to show up to an AMA just to ask about what you're promoting. So you answer the dumb questions in exchange for some easy advertising.

Ozium

can't wait.. I really appreciate that they are going for a shorter playthrough (though I'm sure I'll take at least twice as long as average since I usually read all tooltips first time through) hope the reactivity and choice/consequences is at least on par w/ alpha protocol

not much marketing outside of paradox's usual streams/dev diaries.. the game is probably on the low budget side of things since they are using the PoE engine and the game is shorter overall (though probably a lot "wider" than PoE was) so why spend that much on marketing to create more overhead for an already niche game... people forget PoE had kickstarter hype behind it.. that said the marketing has been kind of a fail when you have fans of the genre/fans of PoE not even knowing this was coming out...

MashKing

Man i super want to buy this, but i realized i still aint even touched pillars of eternity.
Why must the games i enjoy the most be such big time syncs.

Vamphuntr

can't wait.. I really appreciate that they are going for a shorter playthrough (though I'm sure I'll take at least twice as long as average since I usually read all tooltips first time through) hope the reactivity and choice/consequences is at least on par w/ alpha protocol

not much marketing outside of paradox's usual streams/dev diaries.. the game is probably on the low budget side of things since they are using the PoE engine and the game is shorter overall (though probably a lot "wider" than PoE was) so why spend that much on marketing to create more overhead for an already niche game... people forget PoE had kickstarter hype behind it.. that said the marketing has been kind of a fail when you have fans of the genre/fans of PoE not even knowing this was coming out...

Shorter doesn't really mean cheaper. They already explained how they've designed the game around replayability. There's apparently 4 paths in the game and the quests and NPCs you meet changes accordingly in each path. You can also change the initial world state by picking different options in the Conquest mode part of character creation which changes locales and reputations.

anddo0

Man i super want to buy this, but i realized i still aint even touched pillars of eternity.
Why must the games i enjoy the most be such big time syncs.

Yeah. I'm trying to show some restraint.

If anything, I'll play Pillars first, and get this when it's on sale.
Then again, it's so cheap now. The games can be played in any order

Playing through Trails Cold Steel 2, and it's a drag... I think it's time to put long over drawn RPGs on the back burner. I just don't have the time or patience for RPGs over 40 hours anymore.. Tyranny is just what the doctor ordered.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Is it really a good idea to have these different quest paths that require multiple playthroughs in this day and age? Does anyone really have time to replay games?

Burt

Yes. Not everybody buys everything that comes out. For the average gaffer type, they get one reactive playthrough. For people mostly interested in cRPGs, they'll play it a few times. Maybe in a row. Maybe once a year.

It's not like these are supposed to be 60 hours per run. It's 20-30.

That's perfect.

I saw in some thread the other day someone was talking about taking 150 hours to beat Trails in the Sky, and while I started that game up for a few hours once, now I know for sure that I'll never, ever touch it again.

And, on top of that, I'm in the middle of plaything through UnderRail for the first time (fantastic game, btw), and ~15 hours in my brain is spinning with the build possibilities of another run. Not "Ugh, I fucked up my build, should I start over?" but "I love my build, but these other builds look so different and I'm dying to try them." 20-30 hours is a great length if this game has that same kind of compelling character build system -- let alone the narrative options to explore.

That's perfect.

I saw in some thread the other day someone was talking about taking 150 hours to beat Trails in the Sky, and while I started that game up for a few hours once, now I know for sure that I'll never, ever touch it again.

Trails in the Sky is long, but not that long. I beat First Chapter in 68 hours and that was pretty exhaustive (ie talking to every single game NPC after every major event).

Corpekata

Banned
I have 53 hours on Trails, which was a "do most of everything but not like use a walkthrough for all the hidden extra stuff" run. So I'd wager a mostly straightforward run can be done in the 40-50 range.

I feel like Obsidian should have made a bigger deal out of Conquest. It really seems like a back-of-the-box feature that would be worth mentioning pre-release... Like, I only know about it because of the OP.

Ozium

I feel like Obsidian should have made a bigger deal out of Conquest. It really seems like a back-of-the-box feature that would be worth mentioning pre-release... Like, I only know about it because of the OP.

They've talked about it in their streams (and have shown it) and in their dev blogs.. you can also see it in the first hour of gameplay video on youtube..

it has been featured in most marketing of it, which is only a testament to how undermarketed it has been.

anddo0

Trails in the Sky is long, but not that long. I beat First Chapter in 68 hours and that was pretty exhaustive (ie talking to every single game NPC after every major event).

I have 53 hours on Trails, which was a "do most of everything but not like use a walkthrough for all the hidden extra stuff" run. So I'd wager a mostly straightforward run can be done in the 40-50 range.

I'm a sucker for talking to every NPC :(

I average around 120 hours for each Trails games. I usually try to do everything in one run (no guides) lot's of wondering.

I'm about 85 hours into Cold Steel 2 (end of act 2, no idea how that happened). I'm going take my time and enjoy the rest of the game. But I'm a bit burnt out having finished SC and Cold Steel both earlier this year.

It's like a better version of the tapestry system from Dragon Age Keep. I'm excited to play this.

Durante

I was hyped for this initially, then mostly lost interest, but now the motivation is back just in time for the release.

Funnily enough I could apparently get a physical copy at Amazon.de for cheaper than the Steam one. Any other deals?

tuna_love

Banned
I was hyped for this initially, then mostly lost interest, but now the motivation is back just in time for the release.

Funnily enough I could apparently get a physical copy at Amazon.de for cheaper than the Steam one. Any other deals?
cdkeys is cheap
im insanely pumped for this

aravuus

You also get the code instantly from WinGameStore fwiw.

Damn the late release/unlock time, I could be playing already but noooo. Will be able to play for just an hour or two before I have to go to bed.

Durante

I actually got it on Amazon. I'd like having a box for it, it's cheaper than Steam, and when Amazon tells me it will be delivered tomorrow then that's usually true.

Labadal

Cdkeys.com or wingamestore

Top Bottom