• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

r3n4ud

Jeebus, they took viral marketing for this game a little too far!

Fantastic OT, preordered already. Thinking about upgrading from Archon to Overlord for that guide book...

Who has the best deal?

I'd love to order the guide separately :(

Lovely OT Nzyme

Hadn't looked into them until now, but the companions sound awesome.

And that Barik fellow has an awesome look to him, so in true Tyranny fashion I took it for myself.

Kimaka

This can't drop soon enough. Tyranny will be the first time I will have spent more than $20 on a digital only game.

Burt

I really don't want to derail the thread too much here, but I'm just not really familiar with cdkeys.com, so: do we have concrete information on how developers get compensated through cdkeys.com?

I normally don't buy from shadier sites, period, but the deal is pretty good over there -- I just want to be sure that Obsidian is being properly compensated, because if anyone deserves it it's them. I'd feel crappy(-er) if they didn't get any money from me for their non-Kickstarter PoE follow up.

Labadal

I really don't want to derail the thread too much here, but I'm just not really familiar with cdkeys.com, so: do we have concrete information on how developers get compensated through cdkeys.com?

I normally don't buy from shadier sites, period, but the deal is pretty good over there -- I just want to be sure that Obsidian is being properly compensated, because if anyone deserves it it's them. I'd feel crappy(-er) if they didn't get any money from me for their non-Kickstarter PoE follow up.
I honestly don't know. I don't use them myself, but I see them recommended everywhere.

deleted

Pretty excited for this, even if I won't buy it at launch. Still have to get through Pillars.

I watched a Let's play yesterday that was really in depth about the start of the game. The way you are able to influence your backstory before the game starts is pretty neat.

Corpekata

Banned

They buy retail copies from wholesalers, sometimes exploiting low income region loopholes, and rip the codes from the boxes. They are compensated from the original wholesaler sale, so there's no direct line from buying it there to Paradox/ Obsidian.

So if you are feeling iffy, I'd suggest Wingamestore. Only like 5 dollars difference and more money will be going to them.

FWIW Cdkeys is probably the most legit grey market site out there though, so if you have to indulge in that side of gaming sites, they are probably the least harmful.

Nzyme32

I'm feeling depressed and want to see somebody take it to the evil overlord. What's a good Let's Play?

I have some bad news - in Tyranny, you are on the side of evil and Overlord Kyros. Your character serves as a judge and excecutioner to Kyros' Law. So you will pretty much do the opposite in your own way.

The stream I watch a large chunk of was Day9's stream. It's probably a bit sillier and slower than the other ones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUQO4CZFzE

I have some bad news - in Tyranny, you are on the side of evil and Overlord Kyros. Your character serves as a judge and excecutioner to Kyros' Law. So you will pretty much do the opposite in your own way.

The stream I watch a large chunk of was Day9's stream. It's probably a bit sillier and slower than the other ones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUQO4CZFzE

No, I know that, but I saw a bit during one of the gameplay reveals where the character was fighting on the side of the rebels (or at least against both the Unfavored and the Chorus). Is that not a valid path?

ed: this one.

Corpekata

Banned
No, I know that, but I saw a bit during one of the gameplay reveals where the character was fighting on the side of the rebels (or at least against both the Unfavored and the Chorus). Is that not a valid path?

The game isn't out yet so if you want an LP you'll probably have to wait a week or so.

The game isn't out yet so if you want an LP you'll probably have to wait a week or so.

I saw that the steaming embargo was up a few days ago and figured somebody might have at least started that. Ah well. Will check out the Day9 steam, I could do with some silly.

Nzyme32

ed: this one.

Well I haven't played the game through so I have no idea where the story will go. I wouldn't count on that being a valid path as much as I wouldn't count on anything in this kind of game.

i... should not cave in..
so many preorders to arrive in november..
so many recent games in my backlog..
but.. obsidian.. rpg..
i.. ugh....
i will cave in as soon as i get back home... damn you man, the ot killed my resolve to wait... ;_;

Purchased. The relatively quiet marketing campaign plus my difficulty watching LPs of RPGs have left me in a position to go into this game fresh. I'm looking forward to it.

At first I was disappointed by news of the length of the game, but now that I think about some of my favorite RPGs of the last couple of years has been the Shadowrun games by Harebrained. An Obsidian game of this size (especially one that is so replayable!) seems like it could be legit amazing.

Just kind of annoyed because I'm still gunning for the Skyrim plat, and Dishonored comes out the same day. Then next week Pokemon comes out. Then Walking Dead Season 3. Then Final Fantasy 15.

THERE ARE TOO MANY EXCEPTIONAL GAMES

Burt

I honestly don't know. I don't use them myself, but I see them recommended everywhere.

They buy retail copies from wholesalers, sometimes exploiting low income region loopholes, and rip the codes from the boxes. They are compensated from the original wholesaler sale, so there's no direct line from buying it there to Paradox/ Obsidian.

So if you are feeling iffy, I'd suggest Wingamestore. Only like 5 dollars difference and more money will be going to them.

FWIW Cdkeys is probably the most legit grey market site out there though, so if you have to indulge in that side of gaming sites, they are probably the least harmful.

Thanks.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Damn this is too real. Tremendous OT OP.

Also despite this being on my radar for a while now I am still amazed it's out tomorrow. I really wasn't paying attention to it at all because I thought it was so far off at first and when I did see it was coming out tomorrow a month or more ago it never really sunk in. So great to have another Obsidian RPG.

Khoryos

Hell, this comes out tomorrow?
...I really want to buy it, but I'd be cramming it in before Dishonored 2, which I'm cramming in before Watch_Dogs. And I still haven't gotten around to finishing Pillars!

brian!

Is it safe to assume that this game will require some patching in the incoming weeks, trying to figure out if i should play it on release vs. waiting a bit

Labadal

Well I haven't played the game through so I have no idea where the story will go. I wouldn't count on that being a valid path as much as I wouldn't count on anything in this kind of game.
There are three major factions in the game.
@brains!
Probably, it will need some patches. That's usually the case for most rpgs.

Anno

Sitting at number 2 in global seller list behind Dishonored. Not bad given what feels like a light marketing campaign. Hopefully it has some good legs and pays off well for both.

iiicon

So this unlocks tomorrow in the AM? Gonna be hard to juggle this and Dishonored 2 at the same time.

On a slightly related matter, was the PoE novella Chris Avellone agreed to write ever completed? I stopped following that game shortly after the expansion wrapped up but IIRC it wasn't available then.

Kimaka

So this unlocks tomorrow in the AM? Gonna be hard to juggle this and Dishonored 2 at the same time.

On a slightly related matter, was the PoE novella Chris Avellone agreed to write ever completed? I stopped following that game shortly after the expansion wrapped up but IIRC it wasn't available then.

It has been out since at least October. I haven't read it yet nor heard any impressions about it.

Damnit. Why couldn't they have done turned base combat?

My main problem with RtwP is that after doing it for 20 hours it gets very boring.

Does anyone know if they improved the combat over PoE?

brian!

Depends on what you mean by improved, from the look of things it seems that the system from poe has been streamlined for tyranny

aravuus

Streamline RTwP sounds great.

The skill progression system still sounds like shit, though. It "works" in games like Skyrim, where I can just grind skills if I wanted to, but I really can't see it working very well in a CRPG.

Looks great, and the linked article in the op got me hyped. Great OT. I'm a physical whore, I actually imported a copy from the U.K. Don't actually know if it will work or not, but I'm excited to give the game a go. What I'm reading certainly makes it seem like a narrow slice of content, so price is disappointing. But hopefully it's concentrated awesome.

Labadal

Streamline RTwP sounds great.

The skill progression system still sounds like shit, though. It "works" in games like Skyrim, where I can just grind skills if I wanted to, but I really can't see it working very well in a CRPG.
The learn by doing system is my least favorie part pre-release. I hope I am proven wrong.

Damnit. Why couldn't they have done turned base combat?

My main problem with RtwP is that after doing it for 20 hours it gets very boring.

Does anyone know if they improved the combat over PoE?

Yeah, I decided not to get this until it's bargain bin because of that. I mean, I loved BG2 in the day, and enjoyed PoE, but the combat just turned into a mess by the end for me personally, it was not fun at all.

ghostjoke

Banned
Has marketing gone too far?

Really interested to see how the choices are handled and just now evil I can go. With
Obsidian at the helm, I'm hopeful.

Top Bottom