• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

studyguy

Currently mid way through Act 2 on my first run as a mage.
Is there any real reason to put into leadership?
My mage line is filling up so thinks will start spilling over, but so far I'm pretty content to just roll through it.

Also what are the better spells? Started with frost spells and have mostly kept to it along with some CC spells like false pit.

I wish there were more quick action bars. I need something permanent for all of the companion skills, weapon slots, and items, and then a place where I can slot abilities and spells. As it stands something important always gets sidelined.
Currently mid way through Act 2 on my first run as a mage.
Is there any real reason to put into leadership?
My mage line is filling up so thinks will start spilling over, but so far I'm pretty content to just roll through it.

Also what are the better spells? Started with frost spells and have mostly kept to it along with some CC spells like false pit.

I don't have high lore on my team, but there are some amazing accents out there that sound devastating. In the 80-90 range.

mbpm1

I wish there were more quick action bars. I need something permanent for all of the companion skills, weapon slots, and items, and then a place where I can slot abilities and spells. As it stands something important always gets sidelined.

you can just click the buttons at the bottom which pull up a menu of all your characters spells/skills/items

still annoying though

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I don't have high lore on my team, but there are some amazing accents out there that sound devastating. In the 80-90 range.

Thats why I must roll with Lantry next run. His lore can get stupid high. None of my other characters are even close.

studyguy

Aye just hit act 2 and found the library merchant selling goods for some extraordinarly high prices. Like 60gold or whatever rings a pop. The fuck? Do you eventually get easy money? I have like 92 lore right now but fuck me if I can even afford this crap.

Second on my wishlist is functional player character AI. I don't think it has once used an ability outside of my control... (Although now I feel compelled to check if AI is actually enabled for her; I don't actually remember...)
you can just click the buttons at the bottom which pull up a menu of all your characters spells/skills/items

still annoying though

Oh I know. It's just that I always forget what I have on the different characters in the heat of battle--especially with spell loadouts changing so often.
Aye just hit act 2 and found the library merchant selling goods for some extraordinarly high prices. Like 60gold or whatever rings a pop. The fuck? Do you eventually get easy money? I have like 92 lore right now but fuck me if I can even afford this crap.

It seems like most of it comes from gems and extra armour/weapons so far. I'm maybe half through the game, though.

I didn't think I'd ever hit 1.00.00 rings, but you'll accumulate a lot of loot in a seemingly short time and it will suddenly be attainable.

Definitely consider your purchases. There are some great items out there, but you can't buy them all.

Lorcain

I don't think any path forces you to lose party members, it's always in the players hands. Party members are pretty much compartmentalized off from story decisions.
Yep, I was just talking about it from a RP'ng/story perspective, which NPCs line up better for the different faction paths. I've been playing the Disfavored path with Verse as a party member, and while Ashe and company hate having her around, and question my judgment, she's still good to go.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also, favorite abilities: Thrown weapon spec becomes so awesome once you get your 1min cooldown rocket launcher.

Menome

Also, favorite abilities: Thrown weapon spec becomes so awesome once you get your 1min cooldown rocket launcher.

I've taken the Poison Dart from the top of the Ranged tree, as it's a nice opener when used from stealth for a melee character to draw them over to the group. Generally get an enemy from Green to Orange health with that opening throw and give myself enough time to cast a spell before they reach melee range.

Doesn't Kills-in-Shadow have 3 natural armour (in that it reduces every source of damage by 3) with a talent for an additional 3 natural armour? Coupled with her damage-reducing talents and regeneration, it would make her one of the most resilient characters in the game.

Barik can redirect a lot of damage, but Kills-in-Shadow can really soak it up (while keeping an offense).

AcAnchoa

Are there any abilities or spells that cause the wound effect? I’ve seen two of my characters getting them but their health never dropped below 75% or so.

Sanctuary

Barik is pretty bad though. Especially at higher levels.

Also, I do not know about the Chorus, but you can keep the entire party on the Anarchist path.

Unless those numbers are bugged, it seems like Kills-In-Shadow may gain something like 4 armor/level.

I just can't understand all of the dislike for Barik. His recovery time is slow as dirt until you have access to haste, and then it's close to 1s (1s - 1.4s depending on the weapon) once you get the selfless haste. He also has two taunts (three if you count the combo) and some other survivability and offensive talents that syngergize.

I've been putting off using Kills-in-Shadow, but does she even have a single taunt? Because I can't find one. Even if her armor is higher than everyone else's, are you just supposed to send her into a pack and hold off doing anything with anyone else for a bit? Anyway, my level 28 only has 8 armor (maybe her AC is tied to Athletics though?). She's not a "tank" character at all to me, despite her obscene health. She's meant to lose that health to increase her damage, not really "tank" anything aside from what's directly in front of her and currently engaged. I suppose you could always use both Trample and her modified Pounce as a sort of crowd control, but it still doesn't guarantee the enemy will turn towards her.

Anoregon

Where does haste come from? A specific spell sigil, or some kind of enhancement you unlock at spires?

Naito

Where does haste come from? A specific spell sigil, or some kind of enhancement you unlock at spires?

Sigil of Force + Guarded Form = Haste

Regrettably it is very easy to miss the Guarded Form sigil because you can only purchase it from the seller you bumped at the Disfavoured camp at the start of the game.
You need to help him out and allow him to stay at the camp to sell his stuff. Only on my third run (first was bugged at the end and second I missed too many other things)
I was finally able to obtain most sigil, shapes, modifier… :/

On another note, I finally ditched Barik (yay!) and enjoyed bringing along Killsy (2H) and later switched to Verse (because of the humongous dmg of her flurry attack).
Also considering to reroll my Unarmed Mage as an Unarmed melee with all the +20% elemental dmg in the Magic tree: volcanic weapons, haste, and just let him go.
A little bored of micromanaging all the casters and, as mentioned in this thread, melee + buffs overtakes what spells can dish out in dmg.

MartyStu

I just can't understand all of the dislike for Barik. His recovery time is slow as dirt until you have access to haste, and then it's close to 1s (1s - 1.4s depending on the weapon) once you get the selfless haste. He also has two taunts (three if you count the combo) and some other survivability and offensive talents that syngergize.

I've been putting off using Kills-in-Shadow, but does she even have a single taunt? Because I can't find one. Even if her armor is higher than everyone else's, are you just supposed to send her into a pack and hold off doing anything with anyone else for a bit? Anyway, my level 28 only has 8 armor (maybe her AC is tied to Athletics though?). She's not a "tank" character at all to me, despite her obscene health. She's meant to lose that health to increase her damage, not really "tank" anything aside from what's directly in front of her and currently engaged. I suppose you could always use both Trample and her modified Pounce as a sort of crowd control, but it still doesn't guarantee the enemy will turn towards her.

On POTD, Barik's taunts are all largely ineffective at holding aggro. It is generally much more consistent to build your party to handle being physically pressured or to have the MC be your tank.

Anyone have any suggestions for people to hire in the first spire? I see that there isn't a person who can train lore, which is a bummer...

What is good to train in general if lore isn't available? Subterfuge? People's top weapon skills?

Sanctuary

Anyone have any suggestions for people to hire in the first spire? I see that there isn't a person who can train lore, which is a bummer...

What is good to train in general if lore isn't available? Subterfuge? People's top weapon skills?

Top weapon skill for melee, spells for primary casters and whatever if you're using an archer. Honestly though, I'd just suggest not bothering to use any of the trainers from that spire unless a character is close to leveling anyway. You can get your next spire pretty quickly. You just need to decide next if you want a master Lore trainer, or a middle Lore trainer (75) that also grants access to some extremely powerful sigils earlier.

The Infirmary is also where you get the Selfless sigil, which greatly enhances a buff. The caveat is that you can't cast it on yourself. So until you have access to the second or third Sigil of Limitless Boundaries accent (to make it a group buff essentially), you just need to have whoever can cast it cast it on someone else, and then whoever cant, just uses the standard haste on someone until their Lore is up. Once your Lore is high enough (and you have the radius accent), Lantry can just group buff, and then have your second highest Lore character cast the selfless version on him at the same time. This gives you 37.5% movement speed and -63% recovery time. When you have that coupled with a Material Force buff (weapon enchant), groups just explode.

@Naito: What faction did you play when your characters ended up in the low 20's? My last playthrough was with the Rebels, and I ended up with a group of 18/20/20/21, which is a lot higher average than the previous two. It also seems like you actually see more content with that faction too. I guess Anarchist is comparable, but the order in which you acquire things kind of sucks in comparison.

MartyStu

I have no idea what is causing it, but KiS seems to leap in armor. Between levels.

Looking through my old saves, while out of my party, her armor seems to get progressively better.

I do not think leveling is what causes it. I have two level 9 saves with her at the same level and she has 2 different armor values.

I think her armor scaling may be broken. Now I HAVE to figure out what is causing it.

Edit:

Goddamn it, I think I have it figured out.

With the forge spire and KiS NOT in your party:

Rest at a spire. Then make a manual save. Load from the manual save.

She gains her natural armor + the spire bonus as her base armor when you load that file.

Anyone care to try and reproduce?

If you got Blood Chanter dude in Act One to promise you some magic, then when you see him in Bastard City in Act Two you can make him give you infinite copies of the scroll (at least in my playthrough). That's more than enough money to buy whatever you want.

Re KiS, I think she needs a tank initially (and a reach weapon helps too) to cover for her lack of armor, but by midway through Act Two she can obliterate enemies so quickly that her armor is irrelevant. Pair her with Verse, throw in some buffs or blasts from the back row, and watch enemies melt away.

Sanctuary

If you got Blood Chanter dude in Act One to promise you some magic, then when you see him in Bastard City in Act Two you can make him give you infinite copies of the scroll (at least in my playthrough). That's more than enough money to buy whatever you want.

Re KiS, I think she needs a tank initially (and a reach weapon helps too) to cover for her lack of armor, but by midway through Act Two she can obliterate enemies so quickly that her armor is irrelevant. Pair her with Verse, throw in some buffs or blasts from the back row, and watch enemies melt away.

On my next run I was going to go with Lantry, Eb, KiS and as an "Arcane Warrior" build. Wanted it to be between Eb and Verse, but I need to try out KiS at some point. =/

The Blood Chanter magic sounds like a bug. Regardless, weapons and armor sell for quite a bit, so not long after you get the Library, you can buy the most important sigils first: Material Force and Limitless Boundaries.

On my next run I was going to go with Lantry, Eb, KiS and as an "Arcane Warrior" build. Wanted it to be between Eb and Verse, but I need to try out KiS at some point. =/

I will probably go straight physical attacker for my next playthrough, maybe a bit tanky to give me flexibility with the squishier characters. I sidelined Lantry for the second half of the game because I was focused on building up loyalty with Sirin and combat felt too slow with three casters (my MC was a pure caster). I also want to try Eb. She sat at the spire for all but two sidequests in my game.

The Blood Chanter magic sounds like a bug. Regardless, weapons and armor sell for quite a bit, so not long after you get the Library, you can buy the most important sigils first: Material Force and Limitless Boundaries.

Oh, I agree it's a bug. I just wonder if the conditions for triggering the bug are anything more than what I described.

Tacitus_

So what's the earliest way to go on your own - do this after finishing the first edict?
giphy.gif

So for someone who LOVES this game even though I'm generally not a big story/town/npc enjoyer (I'm usually more into rpgs for the combat and character upgrading and such), should I get Pillars as well?

So for someone who LOVES this game even though I'm generally not a big story/town/npc enjoyer (I'm usually more into rpgs for the combat and character upgrading and such), should I get Pillars as well?

If you play these sorts of games for the combat you'll probably like Pillars even more than Tyranny. It's got more variety in the combat scenarios and more options regarding allies, classes, etc.

Sanctuary

Here's something interesting I guess, although it's mostly academic unless you plan on doing a solo run at some point. Damage or healing dealt directly correlates to experience gained. I was curious if there was a difference between hits, crits and grazes in terms of experience (there is, but only in the way that the damage is different), or if experience was simply based more off of the number of uses.

It also seems like any time you use a melee skill that is associated with a support skill, the support skill also raises somewhat. I'm not entirely sure what causes the difference, but sometimes it seems like a skill that say uses Athletics will raise Athletics equal to the damage dealth with that skill, but it seems to either be inconsistent, or I'm not paying attention. I'm also not quite sure what affects Lore's rate of progression either. It's abysmally slow outside of trainers, even with the talents that give the group a bonus.

Also, damage over time effects add experience per tick too, so if you had Magefire (or Bleed) on a cone spell and you hit a bunch of enemies with it and ran away, you'd gain a bunch of experience until the dots expire.

Buffs only seem to add experience when you get hit, or hit with a weapon. Maybe there's a passive effect that kicks in over an extended period, offering you a small gain just for casting the buff and having it on during combat, but it seems like to get any real gains, it has to actually be taken advantage of.

You can really abuse this in Act 1 to gain 1-2 more levels on your main character, if you plan on delving into the Leadership tree, especially if you're a tank, and you don't plan on using Barik or Verse after as soon as you can replace them. You can use something like a low recovery, lower damage weapon, buff yourself and just take hits while healing and slowly killing the enemies. You'll raise Dodge, Parry, Illusion, and Control Life pretty easily.

The skill leveling is about what you'd expect from a TES game as some assumed.

Labadal

Why not? The combat is more fun and better in Pillars of Eternity.

Uriah

The game makes it kinda annoying to side with the
rebellion.
I had to start over once even though I had a high favor ranking with them.

Menome

The game makes it kinda annoying to side with the
rebellion.
I had to start over once even though I had a high favor ranking with them.

It seems that siding with them is a bit of a 'hidden' choice where you have to work out exactly what to do after one or two playthroughs. Couldn't imagine anyone getting it on their first run without any hints from online.

It seems that siding with them is a bit of a 'hidden' choice where you have to work out exactly what to do after one or two playthroughs. Couldn't imagine anyone getting it on their first run without any hints from online.

I fell in with them on my first playthrough with no hints. I don't think any of my decisions were particularly counter-intuitive for someone who wanted to side with the rebels, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

I fell in with them on my first playthrough with no hints. I don't think any of my decisions were particularly counter-intuitive for someone who wanted to side with the rebels, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

Same thing happened to me. First play through here and I got to it completely naturally. It pretty much just amounts to
be nice and don't execute people

Naito

@Naito: What faction did you play when your characters ended up in the low 20's? My last playthrough was with the Rebels, and I ended up with a group of 18/20/20/21, which is a lot higher average than the previous two. It also seems like you actually see more content with that faction too. I guess Anarchist is comparable, but the order in which you acquire things kind of sucks in comparison.

Sorry for the late answer. I played the Anarchist route when my party was at the end around lvl21 (with the guys on the bench at lvl30!) because the two factions didn't pick my interest as much as I wished.
I didn't have a reason to betray my loyalty to Kyros and foment a rebellion with the Vendrian Guard.

I am slightly bummed that Anarchist isn't the "neutral" path I believed it would be. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, I would have been content to keep acting as the loyal enforcer of Kyros' law.
But your ascension to Archon of the Tiers automatically paints a target on your back and you are against everything and everyone, regardless of your previous commitments or statements.
But that's the story they want to tell, so we will hopefully see what comes next. My fiery vampiric volcanic fists are ready. /Glares silently…

MartyStu

Sorry for the late answer. I played the Anarchist route when my party was at the end around lvl21 (with the guys on the bench at lvl30!) because the two factions didn't pick my interest as much as I wished.
I didn't have a reason to betray my loyalty to Kyros and foment a rebellion with the Vendrian Guard.

I am slightly bummed that Anarchist isn't the "neutral" path I believed it would be. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, I would have been content to keep acting as the loyal enforcer of Kyros' law.
But your ascension to Archon of the Tiers automatically paints a target on your back and you are against everything and everyone, regardless of your previous commitments or statements.
But that's the story they want to tell, so we will hopefully see what comes next. My fiery vampiric volcanic fists are ready. /Glares silently…

Hmm. Every path allows you to be loyal to Kyros. You just need to be able to justify your position.

Both the Anarchist path and the Rebel path give you more tools than usual to help you define your position.

In fact, the really big difference between a Rebel and an Anarchist is how you view power.

Naito

Hmm. Every path allows you to be loyal to Kyros. You just need to be able to justify your position.

Both the Anarchist path and the Rebel path give you more tools than usual to help you define your position.

In fact, the really big difference between a Rebel and an Anarchist is how you view power.

No, as in
that you can't end the game being loyal to Kyros. You are always put opposed to her.

CloudWolf

No, as in
that you can't end the game being loyal to Kyros. You are always put opposed to her.

It's hinted throughout the game that you (as in The Fatebinder) probably don't have much of a choice in the matter. One of the missives states that Kyros more than likely knows of you and what you can do even before you get the power to cast edicts and that it's all part of his/her plan. After all, if the Tiers were conquered, Kyros' armies wouldn't have anyone to fight anymore, so he/she creates a new enemy (as in: you) for the armies to fight, all while eliminating/villifying some other troublesome Archons (Nerat and Ashe for obvious reasons, Tunon because he became too strong and Bleden Mark because he's too chaotic-minded). It's a Xanatos gambit, the only way Kyros would lose is if The Fatebinder remained 100% loyal to Kyros, since then the war would end after the Tiers were pacified. Whatever happened in the Tiers, Kyros would always declare war on the last Archon left (which explains how his/her other army could be at the Tiers so quickly even though Kyros' empire is huge.

Labadal

I've been thinking back at my first run and realized that I skipped a lot of stuff. When replaying, I will have to have to pay more attention to what's going on.

Menome

I have finally made it to Act 3 after restarting twice. Can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth in hours played now.

Facism

You shouldn't have much left. Act III was the shortest act for me.

it's a shame the game just ends. Was mad hype for what was unfolding and then BAM GG game over thanks for playing.

Lovely game, otherwise. Really got me back into these types of RPG. Replaying Pillars of Eternity to get my fix, but really i'm just itching for more Tyranny.

CloudWolf

it's a shame the game just ends. Was mad hype for what was unfolding and then BAM GG game over thanks for playing.

Lovely game, otherwise. Really got me back into these types of RPG. Replaying Pillars of Eternity to get my fix, but really i'm just itching for more Tyranny.

Yeah, it makes sense that the game ends there, because the game is about the conflict in The Tiers and at the end of Act III that conflict is settled, but I really hope they can flesh out that area even more with expansions.

Honestly though, I don't think a sequel will directly deal with the
Fatebinder vs. Kyros
conflict, instead having your character being someone else who has to deal with the consequences of the first game. At least, that's how I would do it.

Labadal

Yeah, it makes sense that the game ends there, because the game is about the conflict in The Tiers and at the end of Act III that conflict is settled, but I really hope they can flesh out that area even more with expansions.

Honestly though, I don't think a sequel will directly deal with the
Fatebinder vs. Kyros
conflict, instead having your character being someone else who has to deal with the consequences of the first game. At least, that's how I would do it.
Maybe the fatebinder is the new Overlord that you fight.. Who knows?

Is the order you pick spires a big deal? I got the first one and chose the infirmary because I remembered it had the best lore trainer and Lantry was already in the 90s, so I needed it to continue buffing him. What should I go with next?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is the order you pick spires a big deal? I got the first one and chose the infirmary because I remembered it had the best lore trainer and Lantry was already in the 90s, so I needed it to continue buffing him. What should I go with next?

Blacksmith and Library are the best, other then that it doesn't really matter.

Moff

Infirmary is important if you want to push the lore bottleneck really high.

You also get the last spire when the game is basically over.

Top Bottom