• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Nzyme32

Awesome about the Kyros name thing.

Super sad about the lay offs. Hopefully it isn't something too severe and everyone lands on their feet. They absolutely don't seem to catch a break.

Lister

Banned
A studio putting some of the best content out there in the industry and they barely make ends meet, meanwhile copy paste basic efforts are rolling in dough. Pisses me off.

Almighty

Layoff news sucks, but I am not personally surprised. My armchair analysis says that the writing seems to be on the wall that either Obsidian gets bought or they go under sooner rather than later.

I was hoping the would scale down and focus on making games like Pillars or this game, but the vibe I get from a few interviews is they still have those AAA dreams.

But I won't discount the possibility that 2016 has made me too damn pessimistic and these layoffs are just standard winding down after a project or something has finished.

Sad to hear about the layoffs. Hopefully everyone effected lands on their feet. Unfortunate time of year to lose a job too. Hopefully Tyranny didn't underperform too badly.

I am close to finishing my first playthrough. I have really enjoyed it so far, love the world they have made. The Conquest phase was really compelling.

Nzyme32

Layoff news sucks, but I am not personally surprised. My armchair analysis says that the writing seems to be on the wall that either Obsidian gets bought or they go under sooner rather than later.

I was hoping the would scale down and focus on making games like Pillars or this game, but the vibe I get from a few interviews is they still have those AAA dreams.

But I won't discount the possibility that 2016 has made me too damn pessimistic and these layoffs are just standard winding down after a project or something is finished.

I'm gonna ask uncle Paradox if they can buy them!

JC Sera

Baryk
not leaving the party ASAP if you side with the Chorus is bananas.
he will
leave if you have high enough fear, but you can force him to stay

I think the main reason he stays with you is
he does actually care about verse and her wellbeing

Philxor

I just wanted to let you all know that I picked this up for the princely sum of £1.98 (with the additional use of a gift card). Created a character and did the
Overlord's invasion prologue
. Found myself siding with the
Disfavored
about 95% of the time. So far, so good. I like that they have built the glossary into the dialogue boxes now although I do wish they kept all of the text the same colour and maybe just underlined it instead. The combat is quite a good bit different and will probably take some getting used to.

Taruranto

About the Disfavored, I actually appreciated that
they made the Disfavored legitimately evil, at the first glance they look better than the two, but once you dig a little, they obvious fallings start to show: huge racist, don't believe in second chances, would rather murder and burn down an entire village than let the villagers live.

Labadal

About the layoffs:

"I would talk about this, but I am not sure what I am allowed to say. One thing to note though is that the layoffs aren't happening immediately. They are happening over the course of a few months early next year."

About the layoffs:

"I would talk about this, but I am not sure what I am allowed to say. One thing to note though is that the layoffs aren't happening immediately. They are happening over the course of a few months early next year."

At least that gives people some time to look for a new job.

Kvik

CDPR should acquire those Obsidian talents. Hell, just purchase the whole studio outright, maybe.

I want to keep playing games like Pillars and Tyranny.

MartyStu

he will
leave if you have high enough fear, but you can force him to stay

I think the main reason he stays with you is
he does actually care about verse and her wellbeing

Agreed with this 100%. I think Obsidian could have been a dash less subtle about it though.

Labadal

Obsidian lays off some Armored Warfare devs as project moves to Moscow

Fallout: New Vegas and Tyranny developer Obsidian Entertainment has laid off an undisclosed number of developers working on the free-to-play game, Armored Warfare.

The cuts, scheduled to take effect early next year, are the result of a decision made by Armored Warfare publisher My.com to partially move development of the project to the company’s headquarters in Moscow.

Despite the shift, Obsidian will continue to work on Armored Warfare, which entered open beta last year, in partnership with IllFonic and My.com.

A representative from Obsidian confirmed the layoffs to Gamasutra and offered the following statement from Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart:

"This week we let some of our developers on Armored Warfare know that they are being laid off early next year. The publisher of Armored Warfare decided to move a portion of the development of the product to their headquarters in Moscow. We remain extremely proud of Armored Warfare and all the work we have and will continue to put into it. None of the other products at Obsidian were affected by this. We wish our people the best, and are working with them to find homes with other developers."

If you or someone you know was affected by these layoffs, you can email Gamasutra to tell your story confidentially.

CloudWolf

Man, the
Battle of Lethian's Crossing
on the Rebel path was brutal for me and my team. RIP Kills-in-Shadows, you died well.

Taruranto

hCUhmBn.jpg

Well, this I didn't expect. Will have to think this one. Do
Barik and Verse leave if I pick this path?

plushyp

I didn't know you could trip on Lantry's ink.

Apparently this results in strange things
Wow, that's impressive. I actually prefer Tyranny to PoE primarily because I love dialogue and interaction more than fighting.

The one thing I don't like is how the skill checks here are quite boring and lead to the best result unlike PoE where selecting a skill check option would land you in trouble more than half the time.

Hope Obisidian can expand the scope of the second game like Bioware did for BG2.

I enjoyed and completed Tyranny, it was a nice albeit small but extremely dense experience, like crab cakes!

I just wish that Obsidian could work on a dragon age origins or similar game engine and have full 3d combat and cut scenes.

Prolly too expensive though.

@guy above me. We'll nevet get a BG2 experience in terms of content again. It's too expensive for them to go after.

Labadal

I enjoyed and completed Tyranny, it was a nice albeit small but extremely dense experience, like crab cakes!

I just wish that Obsidian could work on a dragon age origins or similar game engine and have full 3d combat and cut scenes.

Prolly too expensive though.

@guy above me. We'll nevet get a BG2 experience in terms of content again. It's too expensive for them to go after.
It depends. Pillars of Eternity 2 has a shot.

Frankly, I like the way the game currently is. If anything, I'd go with proper painted sprites rather than 3D models even.
The game would lose a lot of its charm if it played like Dragon Age and had fully voice acted cutscenes rather than written dialogue.
It would certainly scare away players like me who love these isometric CRPGs and want a similar experience - the gameplay is one of the main reasons I've wanted this game after all.

Bebpo

Banned
I didn't know you could trip on Lantry's ink.

Apparently this results in strange things

Really impressed by all depth of the narrative details in this game. Would like a sequel for sure, or if it doesn't sell enough to get one, an expansion would be really nice. I'd take a prequel expansion about Cairn.

I've still only done one playthrough with the Disfavored path. After reading the short stories and guide book, Voices of Nerat makes the Scarlet Chorus path seem like it'd be very interesting. I'm definitely going to at least do one more playthrough on that path when I have time.

Taruranto

Man, some parts of the writing is so weird, like
Tunon's court.
It's like the writers can't decide whatever the PC is some kind of amnesia-protagonist that knows nothing or an important political player to the world.
Why am I asking Tunon why he refers to Kiros as "she"? I shouldn't be surprised by this!

Almighty

Man, some parts of the writing is so weird, like
Tunon's court.
It's like the writers can't decide whatever the PC is some kind of amnesia-protagonist that knows nothing or an important political player to the world.
Why am I asking Tunon why he refers to Kiros as "she"? I shouldn't be surprised by this!

Pretty sure that is because Tunon refers to Kyros as both he and she in the same conversation.

Taruranto

Pretty sure that is because Tunon refers to Kyros as both he and she in the same conversation.

No, he only refers to Kyros as she. That's Sirin. Either way Tunon is my boss, I shouldn't have questions about that! We never talked about Kyros before, ever, ever? The whole conversation only works if I just meet him for the first time.

Almighty

No, he only refers to Kyros as she. That's Sirin. Either way Tunon is my boss, I shouldn't have questions about that! We never talked about Kyros before, ever, ever? The whole conversation only works if I just meet him for the first time.

Interesting. I could have sworn they both did it. I will have to pay special attention when I replay it this week.

Taruranto

I'm still enjoying the game for the plot/setting/role playing but gosh, the actual mechanics feel pretty rubbish. Battles basically become about spamming all your skills over and over (And I have two mages too) and basically they feel all samey, loot and character progression are just... whatever. Also skill checks are pointless if I can pass all of them anytime!

At least there aren't many trash mobs, it's pretty tightly designed but not in a way that feels restrictive.

Dunkelgrau

So this game has dialogues and decisions with real consequences, right?

I normally play on my PS4 only, but I love games with consequences, so I'm thinking about going back to my PC only for Tyranny.

Picked this up on the Steam sale and just started playing it today.

I back Pillars and was super hyped for it but put maybe 20-25 hours into it before just falling off of it. I still want to get back to Pillars but in the handful of hours I've already put into Tyranny, its already grabbed me more than Pillars did. I'm just really digging the world and the setup is great.

I do wish the visuals in these Obsidian games had a little more going on. I don't need it to look like The Witcher or anything but Pillars and Tyranny just look so sparse visually. That and the animations. Its like the actual animations look so fast which kind of contrasts with how slow the combat can be when you're waiting on cooldowns.

The story and world so far (end of act 1) is interesting, and the amount of dialog options is welcome, but I'm really thinking I'll turn the difficulty to the brain dead setting, since the combat is so unenjoyable to me. I thought PoE had average combat (sometimes good), but it really feels like a slog here.

Labadal

The story and world so far (end of act 1) is interesting, and the amount of dialog options is welcome, but I'm really thinking I'll turn the difficulty to the brain dead setting, since the combat is so unenjoyable to me. I thought PoE had average combat (sometimes good), but it really feels like a slog here.

It stays the same for the entire game.

Nudull

Banned
Been a while since I played an Obsidian RPG, and I haven't gotten around to playing Pillars. I take this is as good as dark fantasy RPG gets? Discovered it not too long ago, and I'm a little tempted.

It stays the same for the entire game.

That's too bad, but at least things seem to be dying a little quicker now. I'm just not a big fan of rotating through abilities on cooldown.. Reminds me of playing World of Warcraft or something. The rest of the game is really good, so I'll live. :)

Lime

Bought this during the Steam winter sale (mostly to support such a game and I'm in the mood for a RPG again). The question is that I still have White March (both parts) that I haven't started yet. Should I finish White March and then later on play Tyranny or vice versa and just jump into Tyranny?

I know they're not related, I'm just wondering if White March will be worse off from going to Tyranny and then back to PoE.

Bought this during the Steam winter sale (mostly to support such a game and I'm in the mood for a RPG again). The question is that I still have White March (both parts) that I haven't started yet. Should I finish White March and then later on play Tyranny or vice versa and just jump into Tyranny?

I know they're not related, I'm just wondering if White March will be worse off from going to Tyranny and then back to PoE.

I don't think The White March will suffer if you play Tyranny first. First, the games are mechanically quite different. Tyranny's combat is cooldown-based, stats progress with use, and characters take abilities along trees. Second, Tyranny is much more story and C&C focused. You're playing a relatively short story designed for you to go again and make different choices.

The upshot is that little in Tyranny could be called a direct progression on Pillars of Eternity. Although you may end up liking some things better or worse (certainly, I think most people wished Pillars featured as much reactivity as Tyranny), you're not going to say, "oh, I can't deal with this rough draft combat system any more."

One other thing I would say is that the White March contains high-level content and the most challenging combat in Pillars of Eternity, so if you've been playing Pillars recently, it might be easier to continue on now rather than have to re-learn the system during the White March.

Taruranto

I'm just about to kill
the Regent
, how much until the end of the game?

Man, this has been incredibly disappointing. Just a chore to play honestly, the battle system being the worst offender with every battle ending in the same way. I just want it to end.

I'm not even enjoying the plot since it turned into
"hunt some macguffins".

Top Bottom