• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto to ban plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Austin passed this ordinance as well although it hasn't gone into full effect yet. I think they're going to still offer them as well but you'll have to pay 10 cents or something for them?

Zoe

Are they all bio-degradable? If not, then what's the point in even seperating organic waste?

Edit: it's possible that I am misunderstanding the term organic waste.

Most people don't bother to do anything special with organic waste. It goes with the rest of the trash.

Uncle

Most people don't bother to do anything special with organic waste. It goes with the rest of the trash.

Oh, ok. The counter argument by the plastic industry reps saying that people use them for organic waste just made very little sense to me.

I use them in my house for organic waste. We actually divert about a green bin full (the tall ones they give houses) of our trash into the green bin program because we can easily put it all in the plastic bags we get some of the time when we go shopping. (we also use reusable bags when we shop). It seems to me like a behavioral consequence of a ban would've been for people to not participate in the green bin program fully.

Ideally people would be willing to pay for bags but I don't see it happening. I would like to see some kind of mandate though that would have the plastic bags being used being altered in some way so that they don't clog up the recycling machines, and are more biodegradable than they currently are.

Edit: Too elaborate a little, what happens is people put the plastic bag inside the bins in their house where they throw their organic waste. By doing this there is no residue on the bins themselves that end up rotting, smelling, and becoming a health concern.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Slightly extreme. In Wales, retailers have to charge £0.05 for a bag, which is donated to charity. Works quite well.

5 cent fee was imposed in Toronto for a while, but retailers could do whatever they wanted with the money. People bitched and moaned about that too. I'm not sure people see the difference in a fee, or a ban. They hate them both.

It takes a long time to change some ideals when people think it's their right to have something. Council should have stuck it out and taken a chance. If the people were really so upset about it, let them vote those Councillors out. Of course they're not going to risk their career for this, so there was this massive reversal.

Zoe

I use them in my house for organic waste. We actually divert about a green bin full (the tall ones they give houses) of our trash into the green bin program because we can easily put it all in the plastic bags we get some of the time when we go shopping. (we also use reusable bags when we shop). It seems to me like a behavioral consequence of a ban would've been for people to not participate in the green bin program fully.

Ideally people would be willing to pay for bags but I don't see it happening. I would like to see some kind of mandate though that would have the plastic bags being used being altered in some way so that they don't clog up the recycling machines, and are more biodegradable than they currently are.

Edit: Too elaborate a little, what happens is people put the plastic bag inside the bins in their house where they throw their organic waste. By doing this there is no residue on the bins themselves that end up rotting, smelling, and becoming a health concern.

The bags aren't bad for processing the waste?

Dyno

Meh. I live in Toronto and used the bags to collect my recycling. Not having as many around has proven to be but a minor inconvenience. There's usually a simple work around. If it's going to help our waste stream and even the environment then keep the ban.

What's most amusing is hearing politicians respond to this. They make big statements as if they're talking about union negotiations or a fiscal cliff. The rhetoic and emphatic tone is identical from issue to issue. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom