• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto to ban plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Following LA with their ban earlier in the year..

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1266319--toronto-plastic-bag-ban-upheld

In another blow to Mayor Rob Ford, city council has voted not to reconsider its June decision to ban plastic bags as of Jan. 1.

Ford had urged the public to lobby their councillors to keep the bags. But Councillor David Shiner, the architect of the ban, said he only received eight calls.

The council decision in June to ban the bags could only be re-opened if two thirds of council agreed. The vote was 27-18, short of the two thirds threshold.

The move to reopen came in the wake of advice from the city solicitor that the ban was open to legal challenge because it was passed without first consulting the public and stakeholders.

The Canadian Plastics Industry Association, which has been fighting the ban since June, said legal action was an option.

“Bags are a necessity in Toronto,” said association director general Marion Axmith. “Torontonians like plastic bags and they want to continue to have the option to use them.”

Plastic shopping bags have received a bad rap, Axmith said.

“Torontonians rely on them for household pet and organic waste, 85 per cent of the bags are re-used, very few go to landfill and the balance are recycled in the blue box system into useful products.”

Shiner, whose surprise motion in June to ban the bags passed 24-20, said public opinion is on his side.

“It’s not the public that’s outraged,” he told reporters. “The mayor said call your councillor. I had eight phone calls. I have 65,000 people in my ward. People understand that it’s the right thing to do.

Shiner said he will push for public consultations at the public works committee on what type of ban should be imposed.

He suggested that details such as the precise types of bags could be thrashed out in consultations; as well as whether retailers could use up existing stocks.

He expected a bylaw implementing the ban could be prepared by staff for next month’s council meeting.

Technically, the bylaw could need to pass by a majority vote. If that didn’t happen, then the ban wouldn’t take effect.

What do you think about plastic bag bans at stores? For grocery shopping we have reusable fabric bags, and smaller mesh bags for fruits and veggies.. so this doesn't effect me at all. I don't think this will stop people from being pigs and trashing their city with garbage, but it's probably best people get their heads around reusing bags.

Too little too late.

2012_Poster.jpg

That sucks. I live in a building, I use those bags for trash. Now I'll have to buy them separately :( I'll still use plastic bags, only difference is I'll have to buy them in a box myself.

Mik2121

That sucks. I live in a building, I use those bags for trash. Now I'll have to buy them separately :( I'll still use plastic bags, only difference is I'll have to buy them in a box myself.

You guys don't have specific garbage bags? Where I live we have bags for plastic, bottles, food waste, etc..

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
For fabric bags get the Canadian Tire ones they're tough and won't rip at the handles like those piece of shit Wal-Mart bags.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Stupid decision based on emotions, especially that plastic bags are often biodegradable (made from potatoes), while reusable bags are made in China..

coldvein

Banned
if you need plastic bags, you should have to buy plastic bags. yeah, it's gonna cost you some money. it's been costing the environment for a long time, deal with it suckas.

Zoe

A ban passed in Austin. Starting March 2013 :\

You guys don't have specific garbage bags? Where I live we have bags for plastic, bottles, food waste, etc..

Japan's pretty strict about that. Here all the trash goes to the same place.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I LOVE plastic bags personally just because it lets me never have to buy trash bags, and I use them to put stinky clothes in so my gym bag doesn't reak etc.

zoku88

Following LA with their ban earlier in the year..

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1266319--toronto-plastic-bag-ban-upheld

What do you think about plastic bag bans at stores? For grocery shopping we have reusable fabric bags, and smaller mesh bags for fruits and veggies.. so this doesn't effect me at all. I don't think this will stop people from being pigs and trashing their city with garbage, but it's probably best people get their heads around reusing bags.

California banned plastic bags. I see a lot of people using reusable bags when going shopping now. (though, sometimes I forget mine and buy a paper bag for like 10 cents.)

It's not really a big deal.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They did this in Portland, and I tend to go up the street to Gresham to shop because of it. paper bags suck ass, and I hate having to carry a bunch of reusable ones to get a load of groceries for a 4-person family.

We never toss the bags either, recycle them or re-use them for other purposes until they break then recycle them.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Reusable fabric bags.

A reusable bag for my dog shit? No thanks

Resuable bag to keep my gym clothes from smelling up the rest of my gym bag/car. What am I Xhibit with a bag in a bag in a bag? I'll have to wash that bag. No thanks.

A reusable bag for trash? Noooooo

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stupid decision based on emotions, especially that plastic bags are often biodegradable (made from potatoes), while reusable bags are made in China..

Most common plastic bags in the US and Canada are made up of polyethylene, which might break down over time, but is not truly biodegradable. And the laughable 'reusable bags are made in China' argument could apply to any product. If you want to buy eco-friendly, locally made products you can for almost anything. You just have to stick in the time and money to do it.

Who's going to carry those around though? x_x

lol, wat. I bring a gigantic backpack to the grocery store, with two cloth bags, and my reusable mesh bags for veggies and fruits. Not exactly a hassle.

A reusable bag for my dog shit? No thanks

Resuable bag to keep my gym clothes from smelling up the rest of my gym bag/car. What am I Xhibit with a bag in a bag in a bag? I'll have to wash that bag. No thanks.

A reusable bag for trash? Noooooo

You use bags from the grocery store for your dog shit? Not that the terrible dollar store polyethylene dog bags are any better.

zoku88

Exactly this. It seems another solution for the car-centric household. I often find myself to buy about 10 reusable bags a month since I walk a lot and don't always carry them.

I don't use a car to shop and I'm fine.

I always carry a bag of some sort with me. I just put the reusable bag in there.

And if I don't? I just pay the 10 cents for the paper bag.

It's not really a big deal...

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Most common plastic bags in the US and Canada are made up of polyethylene, which might break down over time, but is not truly biodegradable. And the laughable 'reusable bags are made in China' argument could apply to any product. If you want to buy eco-friendly, locally made products you can for almost anything. You just have to stick in the time and money to do it.

Not in Quebec, there are environmental laws for these bags. You do know that buying locally produced food in a Northern environment actually pollutes more than having the food shipped from another country?

Just leave them in the car.

Though my problem with canvas bags is so many people are too stupid to realize they actually need to be washed...

Some ~30% of Toronto relies on public transport for their daily commute though, and that number is growing with all the subway expansions and LRT construction going around.

Not a smart move for a city inspiring to be more transit orientated.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I don't use a car to shop and I'm fine.

I always carry a bag of some sort with me. I just put the reusable bag in there.

And if I don't? I just pay the 10 cents for the paper bag.

It's not really a big deal...

I found it odd in Toronto that you guys still have paper bags. I haven't seen one in years in Montréal.

coldvein

Banned
Some ~30% of Toronto relies on public transport for their daily commute though, and that number is growing with all the subway expansions and LRT construction going around.

there are other types of bags besides plastic bags.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

How this deterring use of public transit? My wife and I only use public transit and we manage to shop without taking any bags home from the grocery store at all.

Now if stores could just realise how over-packaged everything is.

I found it odd in Toronto that you guys still have paper bags. I haven't seen one in years in Montréal.

I haven't seen paper bags in a long time in Toronto. I never see them as an option at Sobey's, No Frills, etc.

zoku88

I don't actually live in Toronto. I live in CA, which had a ban since... at least half a year ago (or at least, where i live.) At least in the Safeway I go to, if we don't have our own bags, we can purchase a recyclable paper bag for about 10 cents or so.

But given the fact that
1) I don't use a car to shop
2) public transit here sucks

and am still able to use a reusable bag just fine, I really can't see what people are really complaining about. I can't even fathom how it's anything more than just possibly mildly inconvenient...

lol, wat. I bring a gigantic backpack to the grocery store, with two cloth bags, and my reusable mesh bags for veggies and fruits. Not exactly a hassle..

I only carry my school bag with me and I can barely close it a lot of times. I definitely do not have space for groceries. This kind of thing only works if you go home first and unload all your stuff and then go to the grocery store afterwards, rather than stopping by the store on your way back.

there are other types of bags besides plastic bags.

I'm pretty sure paper bags (and most other alternatives) are more wasteful than plastic bags in the end. If they weren't, then plastic bags would have naturally been replaced.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't actually live in Toronto. I live in CA, which had a ban since... at least half a year ago (or at least, where i live.)

But given the fact that
1) I don't use a car to shop
2) public transit here sucks

and am still able to use a reusable bag just fine, I really can't see what people are really complaining about. I can't even fathom how it's anything more than just possibly mildly inconvenient...

You should have seen the public outrage when the city imposed a 5 cent fee on plastic bags a couple of years ago. People want to go to war over things like this.

I only carry my school bag with me and I can barely close it a lot of times. I definitely do not have space for groceries. This kind of thing only works if you go home first and unload all your stuff and then go to the grocery store afterwards, rather than stopping by the store on your way back.

You can crumble two cloth bags of decent size into the size of your fist and toss it in your bag. You can toss one into a pocket in your pants. You can tie one around the handle / strap on your backpack. It's very doable.

t26

There are cities just as depended on public transportation that did just fine after getting rid of plastic bag.

iammeiam

I use grocery bags for dog waste, and small trash bags if I'm just picking up a small mess, so if this happens here I'll be irritated. The grocery store I usually shop at uses these Eco Hippo bags that are apparently made out of some kind of recycled resin and are apparently not environmentally damaging; I assume they must be more expensive than the kind bringing on the bannings.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Buy some bio-degradable dog bags. You should have been doing this for years anyway before the ban.

Fuck that I'm not paying 50-1$ a bag just to pick up my dog shit when he poops during a walk. At that point I would just carry a mini shovel and fling it into the woods.

You use bags from the grocery store for your dog shit? Not that the terrible dollar store polyethylene dog bags are any better.

Why wouldn't I? I have a giant drawer full of grocery store/walmart/gamestop/CVS plastic bags. Fit easy in my pocket.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
LCBO exclusively uses paper bags.

Shit, good point. I was thinking strictly grocery stores.

Fuck that I'm not paying 50-1$ a bag just to pick up my dog shit when he poops during a walk.

Why wouldn't I? I have a giant drawer full of grocery store/walmart/gamestop/CVS plastic bags. Fit easy in my pocket.

Good to see you have your priorities straight. At least you pick up the shit I supposed, unlike some GAFers which shall remain nameless.

no we don't at all. Everything but recycling goes into plastic bags and down the chute. Recycling and big items go into the dumpster outside or recycling.

So basically no matter what I'm gonna need plastic bags whether they're given to me when grocery shopping or I have to buy them myself.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
no we don't at all. Everything but recycling goes into plastic bags and down the chute. Recycling and big items go into the dumpster outside or recycling.

So basically no matter what I'm gonna need plastic bags whether they're given to me when grocery shopping or I have to buy them myself.

Our apartment building is terrible at sorting recycling. Half the time people toss garbage into the recycling bins and no one ever separates them by plastic / paper like they're supposed to do. I wonder how much recycling in Toronto just ends up in a landfill in the end.

Our apartment building is terrible at sorting recycling. Half the time people toss garbage into the recycling bins and no one ever separates them by plastic / paper like they're supposed to do. I wonder how much recycling in Toronto just ends up in a landfill in the end.
the super of my condo would literally go through garbage and fine people if he found evidence like your name on a letter that went into the garbage. Huge recycling sticklers, almost annoyingly so lol.

Quick

Banned
I'm okay with this. I rely partly on grocery bags for dog shit, but I'm sure I can find an alternate solution.

Slayven

I like how banning shit makes you look like you are doing something in government. I am going to run for office on a platform of banning death, taxes, and crime.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I like how banning shit makes you look like you are doing something in government. I am going to run for office on a platform of banning death, taxes, and crime.

Rob Ford would like to ban bicycle lanes, streetcars and LRTs. WAR ON THE CAR CONTINUES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom