• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto to ban plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humans better stop fucking around with their environment. Cause the Earth is gonna be just fine in the long term. It's us that may not be around. The planet has wonderful ways of purging itself from time to time.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I really hate this shit.

If you want to use a bag from home, go for it. Fuck off when it comes to telling me what to use though, or trying to tax me to change. Given the option, I'd gladly pay more money to shop at a store that didn't charge for bags over paying less for products at one that does - don't give a shit if that's nonsensical, it's the principal of it all.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Also ban milk in a bag, thanks.

Ottawa

shira

What does one use for cat litter if not plastic bags?

Time to potty train your pets.
BullDogToilet.jpg

RobbieNick

It's so fucking stupid.

Plastic is a recyclable material! If people would just use their recycle bins to throw them in then no problem, plus, people tend to re-use them over at least once.

It's so fucking stupid.

Plastic is a recyclable material! If people would just use their recycle bins to throw them in then no problem, plus, people tend to re-use them over at least once.
Not all plastic bags.

Also, plastic bags clog up recycling facilities and cost money to repair and ruin batches of recyclables. Oregon does not accept them in the recycle bins on the curb. You have to take them to a drop-off. Many other states do the same thing. I've seen grocery stores in some states that have drop-offs because they aren't allowed to be recycled at home.

image.cfm

You're showing just how important it is that they get banned.

alazz

I don't get it. They will all inevitably end up in New York mall parking lots with the rest of Toronto's unwanted goods, so what's the fuss?

Meh just buy a reusable bag they are like $1.99 at Metro stores or Walmart

Sac_reutilisable%2009.jpg

The problem is, I don't always have one with me and I don't have a car to keep them in. It's fine if I make a planned trip to the grocery store but just going to a random convenience store to pick up a few things on the way home could be a pain. If there is a paper bag alternative, I'll live.

Humans better stop fucking around with their environment. Cause the Earth is gonna be just fine in the long term. It's us that may not be around. The planet has wonderful ways of purging itself from time to time.

Trying to live up to your name and avatar?

Ledsen

Uhm why would you use plastic bags for organic waste, paper works just as well. If it gets soggy just put some more paper in the bottom.

Willectro

Banned
Not all plastic bags.

Also, plastic bags clog up recycling facilities and cost money to repair and ruin batches of recyclables. Oregon does not accept them in the recycle bins on the curb. You have to take them to a drop-off. Many other states do the same thing. I've seen grocery stores in some states that have drop-offs because they aren't allowed to be recycled at home.

So instead of retooling some machinery, lets just ban plastic bags?

And I think we are forgetting that paper isn't exactly free or infinite.

dubc35

Perhaps posted already but Seattle did this earlier this year. It really hasn't been an issue for me. I prefer the reusable bags anyway as they can hold more and don't tear. The plastic ones were nice for random garbage bags though.

I wish we could keep plastic bags, but have them basically freely available for people who need them in a pinch. But then at that point, over 95% of people would willingly need to start using their own bags, but I really don't think as America goes, that is going to happen.

Valnen

A local wal mart got rid of it's plastic bags for awhile around here. Consumers didn't like it and they were forced to bring them back.

Fuck making me spend money just to carry my groceries. I'm not gonna do it.

M-PG71C

Fine by me. I actually use reuseable bags and I'm good for it. They hold a helluva lot more than the plastic ones which means less bags I have to carry into my aptartment.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's funny to find out the things people believe they're entitled to when they've grown accustomed to it.

Uncle

People use regular plastic bags for organic waste at home? Do they empty the bag manually or just throw the whole thing somewhere?

Dyno

It's funny to find out the things people believe they're entitled to when they've grown accustomed to it.

Yup. It's actually a pretty interesting social experiement.

I like the plastic bags. They get steadily used to collect recycled garbage. If you think for a second though you realise that using some kind of bio-degradable bag would be a better choice. You don't need to use all that plastic for such tasks.

Bags have ruined some cities, clogged rivers, and covered trees. Toronto isn't at that place yet so we should quit now before it gets worse.

leroidys

My city recently banned plastic bags. I like the idea, but a much, much better thing would be to ban plastic bags that don't decompose (quickly). Now people are just going to buy plastic garbage bags and stuff at the store, I'm sure it takes some plastic out of the environment but I'm not sure if it's that significant.

Zoe

People use regular plastic bags for organic waste at home? Do they empty the bag manually or just throw the whole thing somewhere?

Throw the whole thing.

My city recently banned plastic bags. I like the idea, but a much, much better thing would be to ban plastic bags that don't decompose (quickly). Now people are just going to buy plastic garbage bags and stuff at the store, I'm sure it takes some plastic out of the environment but I'm not sure if it's that significant.

That's my issue with all of this. It's not going to change my footprint at all. I'm just going to be spending more to throw out my trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom