• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOMBA IS COMING BACK!! (PS4/PS5/SWITCH/STEAM) 😍☺😚

What platform will you be picking up the Tomba re-release on (choose all that apply)?

• PS4

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • PS5

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • Switch

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • Steam

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • What's a "Tomba"?

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trilobit

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?! I've been waiting for this day for over 15 years!!! I could never find it to play on my PS2, but one day I suddenly found Tomba! 2 in my local Gameshop instead. I was beyond happy!

Now I'm even more beyond happy! Wow, incredible!

Me right now:

Vadjr8Q.jpg

---------

Edit: Oh...it's sort of emulated, not a remaster? And they're making a new soundtrack for it? Well...that hampers my mood a bit, but I'll prolly get it anyway if it gets good reviews.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Hmm.. I might get this for my Switch depending on what resolution the PS5 version has. Don't know how well this kind of remaster translates on a 4K OLED TV. Might be cozy to have it on a portable.

I'll be honest, EGM got me real hyped for Tomba! back in the day, then I rented it and... It was just fine. I remember nothing about it now, maybe it's better than I remember.

The game may be a bit of an acquired taste, it's not going to have the mass appeal of straight-up platformers like Mario & Sonic, or "normal" Metroidvanias.

But if you ever fancied the weirder side of PS1 games, you will likely find something really fun here to get into.

I hope this re-release gets Tomba/Tombi the attention it deserves. There was a very generous demo for it released back in the day that I played the absolute Hell out of as a kid. Didn't get the game til the ps3 download version and then just didn't have time to play.

If you're a younger sort, or we're just a little curious about it, let me tell you it's well worth picking up!

mcjmetroid

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?! I've been waiting for this day for over 15 years!!! I could never find it to play on my PS2, but one day I suddenly found Tomba! 2 in my local Gameshop instead. I was beyond happy!

Now I'm even more beyond happy! Wow, incredible!

Me right now:

Vadjr8Q.jpg

---------

Edit: Oh...it's sort of emulated, not a remaster? And they're making a new soundtrack for it? Well...that hampers my mood a bit, but I'll prolly get it anyway if it gets good reviews.
To be fair the music was the weakest part of the game I would say. The section in the mushroom forest section is burned into my memory.

I would like the option for sure.. Wonder why the music was a sticking point?

Also can't wait for this!

So how is this available for Switch and not Xbox?

Seriously, what’s the excuse for no Xbox version?

Sometimes Xbox...just doesn't get certain games. Happens with all platforms. Plus I'm guessing the makers of this port have sales data of previous somewhat-similar games they've had on Xbox and maybe those didn't do very well.

They are probably not flushed with cash or manpower and had to prioritize the systems most pertinent. It is what it is, but maybe there'll be a port to Xbox in the future, maybe even in Game Pass.

Tombi 2 3d graphic was so off putting coming from tomba1 that i played like 5 hours and just bailed out.

Lemme tell 'ya, you missed out on an amazing game. The shift to polys for 2 was also jarring for me at first, and I do feel there are some parts later (like the haunted forest) where the switch and certain perspectives make a few jumps harder than they should be, so it's easy to mess those parts up.

But, you get used to it very quickly, and honestly moments like those are very few and far between. I'd say Tomba 2 is at least as good as the 1st, and I'm almost tempted to say it's the better of the two all things considered, but I haven't played through it in a few years while Tomba 1 is more recent.

AREYOUOKAY?

Loving how my Switch is a portable second chance system for PS1 games that are rare and expensive. They may or may not be as good as the original version, but it’s that or paying a couple hundred for them.

Of course there’s a pathway to play those versions that some consider to be… unnatural.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sometimes Xbox...just doesn't get certain games. Happens with all platforms. Plus I'm guessing the makers of this port have sales data of previous somewhat-similar games they've had on Xbox and maybe those didn't do very well.
They are also porting Gex Trilogy and Clock f'in Tower and those are getting a Xbox version. I'm not buying this explanation. How is Clock Tower more of a fit for Xbox than Tomba??

They are also porting Gex Trilogy and Clock f'in Tower and those are getting a Xbox version. I'm not buying this explanation. How is Clock Tower more of a fit for Xbox than Tomba??

Well, Clock Tower's a horror point 'n click game; horror games are pretty common on Xbox, and they've gotten a few exclusive pseudo-point'n click games like As Dusk Falls and Tell Me Why. So I'm guessing those are reasons why they feel an Xbox version of Clock Tower could do okay.

if firing a woman gets me a tomba rerelease imagine what we could get by firing 3.5 billion women

Lol, well let's try finding a way that doesn't piss off half the world's population.

For example, me willing to eat actual grass for a week to get a re-release of Planet Laika physically with an English translation!

Loving how my Switch is a portable second chance system for PS1 games that are rare and expensive. They may or may not be as good as the original version, but it’s that or paying a couple hundred for them.

Of course there’s a pathway to play those versions that some consider to be… unnatural.

That's a good point. A lot of these older rare gems go for so high a price on eBay, and don't have modern releases, that very few ever bother to play them. I'm glad games like this and Moon RPG Remix (which got a few enhancements) are getting new releases.

GymWolf

They are probably not flushed with cash or manpower and had to prioritize the systems most pertinent. It is what it is, but maybe there'll be a port to Xbox in the future, maybe even in Game Pass.

Lemme tell 'ya, you missed out on an amazing game. The shift to polys for 2 was also jarring for me at first, and I do feel there are some parts later (like the haunted forest) where the switch and certain perspectives make a few jumps harder than they should be, so it's easy to mess those parts up.

But, you get used to it very quickly, and honestly moments like those are very few and far between. I'd say Tomba 2 is at least as good as the 1st, and I'm almost tempted to say it's the better of the two all things considered, but I haven't played through it in a few years while Tomba 1 is more recent.
I was just in love with tomba1 artstyle so that 3d graphic looked like absolute ass, also the beginning of the game just didn't felt good.

If the remake the second one aswell i'm gonna play it.

I doubt it can be as good as the first one tho, that one just had a particular charm.

Melon Husk

I was just in love with tomba1 artstyle so that 3d graphic looked like absolute ass, also the beginning of the game just didn't felt good.

If the remake the second one aswell i'm gonna play it.

I doubt it can be as good as the first one tho, that one just had a particular charm.
Funny. I played T2 first and when I checked out T1 it looked like total ass without the charm of the sequel. First one looked like a prototype version in comparison.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Another cheap emulation.... I'll stick with duckstation on Xbox , wide-screen, perspective and polygon correction, texture filtering, achievements, etc....

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Well, Clock Tower's a horror point 'n click game; horror games are pretty common on Xbox, and they've gotten a few exclusive pseudo-point'n click games like As Dusk Falls and Tell Me Why. So I'm guessing those are reasons why they feel an Xbox version of Clock Tower could do okay.
Fren, are you really arguing that a sprite-based, slow-as-molasses point-n-click SNES adventure with some horror elements has so much of a better chance at sales on Xbox in 2023 than a PlayStation platformer, that the second one is just skipping a release on the system altogether? When the same company is behind the release of both? When the same company is also rereleasing Gex, and that one is coming to Xbox?

I mean, I’ve all but resigned myself to devs and publishers skipping Xbox just because, but

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

Top Bottom