• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOMBA IS COMING BACK!! (PS4/PS5/SWITCH/STEAM) 😍☺😚

What platform will you be picking up the Tomba re-release on (choose all that apply)?

• PS4

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • PS5

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • Switch

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • Steam

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • What's a "Tomba"?

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tomba-2.0.jpg

tomba1.jpg

This is the gaming news of the week so far IMO; Tomba 1 and 2 are among two of my favorite games ever, especially on the PS1, and I'm very glad to see that the first game is getting a re-release (remaster) for most modern platforms. I'm assuming if it does well enough, we will get a Tomba 2 re-release as well.

Even better, the original creator (Tokuro Fujiwara, aka also the creator of the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts games) is involved, and I'm suspecting if this and Tomba 2 do well enough, we could even get a Tomba 3! Needless to say, I'm picking this up Day 1, might even get the physical copy alongside it. I'll be getting it for PS4 and that should be BC on PS5 as well.

And as I'm just finding this out, apparently the original Gex is coming back as well for PS4, PS5, Switch, Steam, and Xbox. We're getting some really neat old-school platforming love this week 🤩. If you've got any interest in whimsical, quirky, adventurous Metroidvania-ish platformer-adventurers, Tomba should be on your radar as a pick-up. Trust me, it's more than worth playing.

So who is still boycotting Limited Run?

I'm having troubling remembering...is this about the girl who was let go?

when all else fails and you are clean out of ideas, revive an old IP that 4 people in the world care about and make a quick cash in

Hey, at least they remembered we still exist. I'm not letting this moment pass by!

I can't tell if he's about to laugh or cry, but either way he's happy and you're happy and I'm happy!

I can without a doubt say that right now is probably in the top 100 best moments to be a Tomba fan.

We don't get many, so surprise we get one that actually means something substantial. I'm for it.

MiguelItUp

Are they the actual publisher, or just for the physical version?
They're the publisher and the maker of the "carbon engine" which just seems like an emulator that runs for all platforms, lol.

It's cool that they're releasing older and beloved games. But, I'm really curious to know what's "new" to justify buying it again. Other than just owning an older game on a newer console.

Last edited:

Pejo

We don't get many, so surprise we get one that actually means something substantial. I'm for it.
I have to admit, it's funny/ironic that they chose to celebrate this announcement with an unimpressively upscaled version of the CG intro of the PS1 game.

Like old devs learning new tricks from modern devs that only announce games with CG trailers and no gameplay. For a game released 20+ years ago.

graywolf323

I’m a bit surprised it’s coming to Switch since I thought Sony owns the IP?

I’ll get it on Steam for my Steam Deck, if I get ownership of the PlayStation version from owning it on PS3 PSN that’d be awesome but it seems unlikely

They're the publisher and the maker of the "carbon engine" which just seems like an emulator that runs for all platforms, lol.

It's cool that they're releasing older and beloved games. But, I'm really curious to know what's "new" to justify buying it again. Other than just owning an older game on a newer console.

Apparently their releases with Carbon Engine are a mix between a remaster and remake. Just going off what some random people have said on Twitter.

The original game did the DKC thing with 3D graphics turned into prerendered sprites, and I don't know if those will be retouched. But the background elements were 3D, guessing those could see a boost.

I have to admit, it's funny/ironic that they chose to celebrate this announcement with an unimpressively upscaled version of the CG intro of the PS1 game.

Like old devs learning new tricks from modern devs that only announce games with CG trailers and no gameplay. For a game released 20+ years ago.

TBH I didn't even notice it was upscaled :/

Some gameplay snippets of how this new release will look would have been neat, particularly for new people who don't know the game (which is a lot). But personally, don't need that just yet. The announcement alone is great!

Id really prefer you be quiet

We don't always get what we want.

Today that applies to you 🤣

Ow man I have the PS3 BC versions. There will be a new ost though?

Yep.

with a new OST by the legendary @soundfujita

I don’t think I ever played it. I might have tried it on some pack-in demo disc once.

Do you remember enjoying it?

If so, or at least found it interesting, I'd consider looking a bit into the game to decide if it's worth picking up when they release it. The more you are into Metroidvanias and such, though, then the more likely you'll be into this.

I’m a bit surprised it’s coming to Switch since I thought Sony owns the IP?

I’ll get it on Steam for my Steam Deck, if I get ownership of the PlayStation version from owning it on PS3 PSN that’d be awesome but it seems unlikely

Thought so, too, but I guess Whoopee Camp was alive this whole time. Can't even think of games they've made since Tomba 2.

Hopefully if this and Tomba 2 do well enough, they'll give us a Tomba 3.

Camreezie

Apparently their releases with Carbon Engine are a mix between a remaster and remake. Just going off what some random people have said on Twitter.

The original game did the DKC thing with 3D graphics turned into prerendered sprites, and I don't know if those will be retouched. But the background elements were 3D, guessing those could see a boost.

TBH I didn't even notice it was upscaled :/

Some gameplay snippets of how this new release will look would have been neat, particularly for new people who don't know the game (which is a lot). But personally, don't need that just yet. The announcement alone is great!

We don't always get what we want.

Today that applies to you 🤣

Yep.

If so, or at least found it interesting, I'd consider looking a bit into the game to decide if it's worth picking up when they release it. The more you are into Metroidvanias and such, though, then the more likely you'll be into this.
I was referring to the Tomba guy meme on the couch

CamHostage

Thought so, too, but I guess Whoopee Camp was alive this whole time. Can't even think of games they've made since Tomba 2.

Nope, Whoopee Camp has been gone since Tomba 2 came out, and only made those two games. Probably it's just a holding company for Fujiwara (and he was able to incorporate the new project under the same trademark that he kept on file all this time for whatever reason. )

I don't think Whoopee Camp did any big development work on this besides supervision. The screens show 4:3 gameplay (I assume those are from this version, not just cut in as an example?)(4:3 makes sense for a 2d remaster btw, everybody gets whiny that developers didn't somehow redo old games in widescreen but that's such a complicated and questionable reconstruction.) It's probably Whoopee Camp in legal terms only, though it would be cool if this was the start of a revival somehow...

I was referring to the Tomba guy meme on the couch

I failed a great test today in not catching on to that reference 😥. It's been a few years since I've played through Tomba 2 though. I think it was from a part in the ice world...memory is hazy.

I'll pick this up on Xbox lol

You might have to wait for a while. Or, just put your system in Dev Mode and play it with an emulator.

Nope, Whoopee Camp has been gone since Tomba 2 came out, and only made those two games. Probably it's just a holding company for Fujiwara (and he was able to incorporate the new project under the same trademark that he kept on file all this time for whatever reason. )

I don't think Whoopee Camp did any big development work on this besides supervision. The screens show 4:3 gameplay (I assume those are from this version, not just cut in as an example?)(4:3 makes sense for a 2d remaster btw, everybody gets whiny that developers didn't somehow redo old games in widescreen but that's such a complicated and questionable reconstruction.) It's probably Whoopee Camp in legal terms only, though it would be cool if this was the start of a revival somehow...

That makes sense. Fujiwara was really smart to do it as he did, though. Prevented the game rights being lost in limbo for all of time; IIRC Night Dive had to jump through lots of hoops for the System Shock rights for example.

Maybe it's a holding company for now, but I really hope this results in a proper Tomba 3. I'd be there Day 1, just like for this and a Tomba 2 remaster (hopefully Tomba 2 is on the docket).

Looks like they're doing Gex too.

Today's just been too good.

CamHostage

Ah, interesting question...

I remember being excited for Tomba 1, a cartoon playable with all of the power of PlayStation, and I was going to beat it in a weekend and tell kids about it at school... and then, I never finished it or really got very far in. There's some bizarre mechanics (starting with the odd way he jumps, ) and i remember it has this adventure game structure where you're finishing quests and roaming around to solve puzzles rather than just platforming for fun for hours. And the platfirming i believe was deceptively hard (though no surprises from the GnG crew.) Lots of stage design where the challenge was to throw pigs into weird stuff which would then move in a weird way allowing you to do some weird move around to make weird stuff happen...

My feelings and memories of it are complicated, but I'm curious to see it back.

Last edited:
Ah, interesting question...

I remember being excited for Tomba 1, a cartoon playable with all of the power of PlayStation, and I was going to beat it in a weekend and tell kids about it at school... and then, I never finished it or really got very far in. There's some bizarre mechanics (starting with the odd way he jumps, ) and i remember it has this adventure game structure where you're finishing quests and roaming around to solve puzzles rather than just platforming for fun for hours. Lots of stage design where the challenge was to throw pigs into weird stuff which would then move in a weird way allowing you to do some weird move to make stuff happen...

My feelings and memories of it are complicated, but I'm curious to see it back.

Yeah, one thing that's immediately obvious is it's not "just" a platformer. The jumping physics threw me off at first too, but when I found out who the creator was, it immediately made sense (though your skills with them will be quickly tested in the lava section and later the jungle). The Events are really cool, though I wish the US version kept a journal of them the way I believe the PAL version did. Why that got removed I'll never know.

The boss fights in the first one aren't very elaborate, but they can get tricky with the way the pigs move and the hazards on the stage. Personally preferred the sequel for the boss encounters. Still though, I think if you approach it as an adventure game with platforming and Ghouls 'n Ghosts-style jumping mechanics (and some similar fiendish areas here and there), you'll love it.

Fuz

Banned
Your comment made me go watch the original on Youtube and... uh... it looks better? Those squished, flattened colors and lines are very unappealing to me.

Top Bottom