• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOMBA IS COMING BACK!! (PS4/PS5/SWITCH/STEAM) 😍☺😚

What platform will you be picking up the Tomba re-release on (choose all that apply)?

• PS4

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • PS5

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • Switch

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • Steam

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • What's a "Tomba"?

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lmimmfn

Expected new Tomb Raider

tumblr_ml01gvUPCG1r18fjgo1_500.gif

Trilobit

Funny. I played T2 first and when I checked out T1 it looked like total ass without the charm of the sequel. First one looked like a prototype version in comparison.

I only got to(I think) this level in the PS1 demo-CD I borrowed:
Tomba-Pic-2.png

But I remember thinking that it had a certain charm and looked quite good.

I later happily found and bought Tombi 2 and it was with its 2.5D not a looker to put it mildly:
maxresdefault.jpg

But the gameplay and events/quests were quite challenging and fun so it's one of my favourite PS1 games. I'm really looking forward to play the whole Tombi 1 game and I hope the gameplay is as fun as the sequel. But nevertheless this kind of game is so unique so I'll enjoy it anyway.

Last edited:
I was just in love with tomba1 artstyle so that 3d graphic looked like absolute ass, also the beginning of the game just didn't felt good.

If the remake the second one aswell i'm gonna play it.

I doubt it can be as good as the first one tho, that one just had a particular charm.

Nah, Tomba 2 IMO is at least just as good as the first one, arguably better. But, it's true that the first area or two in the sequel require a lot of adjustment in terms of jumping and judging distances in a way not needed for the first game. I can understand how it might've been a bit off-putting going from the first to the second.

Funny. I played T2 first and when I checked out T1 it looked like total ass without the charm of the sequel. First one looked like a prototype version in comparison.

There are definitely areas where T2 makes the first game feel antiquated. In general though, I'd say T1 is the easier of the two games, because with the sequel you need a bit of time to get adjusted to the 2.5D camera changes that can make some jump pretty tricky, in a way that wasn't present in the first game.

Sony gets more open with multiplatform releases it seems.

Don't think Tomba is their IP. Whoopee Camp is still around; CamHostage CamHostage 's posts explain it pretty well in terms of what's likely happened.

Fren, are you really arguing that a sprite-based, slow-as-molasses point-n-click SNES adventure with some horror elements has so much of a better chance at sales on Xbox in 2023 than a PlayStation platformer, that the second one is just skipping a release on the system altogether? When the same company is behind the release of both? When the same company is also rereleasing Gex, and that one is coming to Xbox?

I mean, I’ve all but resigned myself to devs and publishers skipping Xbox just because, but

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

Yes, that's what I'm saying :/ I don't see why Clock Tower being a slower-paced game means it's a bad fit for Xbox. Again, it's a horror-themed game, more mature in style, and 2D. There's a decent audience for at least the first two on Xbox outside of Game Pass.

Most of the audience for games like Tomba are just going to be on PlayStation, Nintendo and PC/Steam statistically speaking. I'm guessing Gex is somewhat different because for starters I don't even know who holds the IP rights anymore (is it Crystal Dynamics?). Besides that, it's rife with Hollywood pop-culture references and is way more "wacky American" than "wacky Japanese" like Tomba, so I guess WayForward feel it'd be a better fit for the Xbox audience at least for a B2P game.

Tomba might show up on Xbox through a Game Pass deal maybe 6-12 months after.

I only got to(I think) this level in the PS1 demo-CD I borrowed:
Tomba-Pic-2.png

But I remember thinking that it had a certain charm and looked quite good.

I later happily found and bought Tombi 2 and it was with its 2.5D not a looker to put it mildly:
maxresdefault.jpg

But the gameplay and events/quests were quite challenging and fun so it's one of my favourite PS1 games. I'm really looking forward to play the whole Tombi 1 game and I hope the gameplay is as fun as the sequel. But nevertheless this kind of game is so unique so I'll enjoy it anyway.

IIRC the sequel changed how you gained EXP from defeating enemies...maybe it was them eliminating the Levels specifically?

I haven't played through it in a long time; waiting for a good time to fire it up again but depending on when the re-release for the original comes up and if WayForward have Tomba 2 lined up shortly afterwards, I might wait until I pick up the re-release for the sequel to play it again.

Top Bottom