• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: New PS5 with detachable disc drive test kit in people's hands, "works flawlessly"

Topher

Gold Member
I just can't see this happening. No way they drop the only SKU to $399 when the price went up in the other territories. We'll see soon enough, but I think it's much easier to just keep the price "the same" without the disc drive.

Take away the disc and still charge $500. That doesn't make any sense at all.

746760.jpg

The problem is that the margins on the disc model are better and I imagine plenty of disc buyers still buy digital games. Raising the price to $450 and selling the disc drive for $50 seems pretty realistic.
$450 just seems like an odd price. I don't see
Take away the disc and still charge $500. That doesn't make any sense at all.

746760.jpg
It's already selling out at $499. It just makes sense. No sticker shock and no "Sony raises prices" story.

kyliethicc

$450 just seems like an odd price. I don't see

It's already selling out at $499. It just makes sense. No sticker shock and no "Sony raises prices" story.
Sony have been careful to keep the disc PS5 at the same $499 as xbsx

Doubt they change that so do the math

digital + disc = 500
400 + 100
450 + 50
430 + 70
etc

If anything the point will be to "lower" the price of the PS5 (not really) by now allowing everyone a chance to buy a PS5 at $400-450, without losing out on the option to play discs. You'll just have to pay an extra 50-100 for the drive if/when. And inevitably the drive sold standalone will cost more than the bundle adds onto the base model's price. So like say 400 (digital default) and 500 (drive bundle) and then $130 for the drive standalone.

gundalf

what's the point of the detachable disc drive?

My guess is, that its not detachable but instead onward only the digital edition will be produced while changing the case design in way where you can snap-on the special external BD-Drive. And then there will be 2 main SKUs, plain without drive and the other one has the drive included in the box.

And then Sony may follow a strategy where they produce small quantities of the external BD-Drive to sales towards their PSN store.

Last edited:
A price hike in the single biggest region would be nothing? No....it would be a shitshow.
The real retail price doesn't change as the $399 model was so limited in availability anyway. Also, the new console would be an upgrade over the $399 edition by just having the option of adding a disc drive.

Also, $449.99 is visually a weak price. $429.99 is even weaker. $399.99 is the price that would move consoles, and they are already doing that without issue.

Topher

Gold Member
The real retail price doesn't change as the $399 model was so limited in availability anyway. Also, the new console would be an upgrade over the $399 edition by just having the option of adding a disc drive.

Also, $449.99 is visually a weak price. $429.99 is even weaker. $399.99 is the price that would move consoles, and they are already doing that without issue.

Adding the option for a drive isn't a $100 upgrade. A $499 console without the drive is a downgrade to the $499 console with the drive.

The Alien

Banned
"Works flawlessly". Lol. Ya mean as it should.

External drives are old and simple tech. HDDVD player the X360 had also worked "flawlessly"....more than 1.5 decades ago.

Also...Sony just answered the question: Could the PS5 get any bigger?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Surely then, this means a redesign. Can't imagine a current looking ps5 with a box off to the side connected with a cord. It'd be nicer than that I hope.
To be fair they could include a plate that replaces the default one to add the drive to the existing form factor along with buttons for eject etc.
The connection will probably be concealed.
I doubt they'll go the USB external route.
So basically like it is now but the digital being the only one purchasable with add-on as an optio.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Works flawlessly". Lol. Ya mean as it should.

External drives are old and simple tech. HDDVD player the X360 had also worked "flawlessly"....more than 1.5 decades ago.

Also...Sony just answered the question: Could the PS5 get any bigger?
It might mean more than just working, obviously it works and is tried and true, but it may mean in aesthetics design as well.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Disk drives give you an edge if you’re into collecting. I have no reason for one, ps sales and download times are really good.

Its like making people pay more for thr Disk PS5 than the Digital Edition.

That's really what this is but designed to help manufacturing.

No, the PS5 will be the same price either way, the extra money spend will be for the disc drive. The margins are very low on the PS5 and slimming it down and making it easier to manufacture doesn't mean the margins jump up astronomically. Especially if they add improvements which they likely will, and they already raised the price elsewhere in the world for hardware and games (first) for the same reason.

No, the PS5 will be the same price either way, the extra money spend will be for the disc drive. The margins are very low on the PS5 and slimming it down and making it easier to manufacture doesn't mean the margins jump up astronomically. Especially if they add improvements which they likely will, and they already raised the price elsewhere in the world for hardware and games (first) for the same reason.

Not really since it will be cheaper without the disk drive. Which is the current situation. The only difference is that you can buy the disk drive if you want it.

Can't believe you don't see that.

Not really since it will be cheaper without the disk drive. Which is the current situation. The only difference is that you can buy the disk drive if you want it.

Can't believe you don't see that.

Because you don't see that it's not going to be the same hardware or shape. You basically expect it to be a cheaper PS5 despite it likely being a slimmer redesign with some changes.

Easier to produce =/= cheaper to sell with the current price obstacles and low margins in the way. It just means they can make more stock faster to put on shelves. If you think this PS5 is going to be $399 when it comes out that's silly. The best that may happen is that the other countries were the current PS5 has a price rise will fall back to the old originally price. But then adding the disc drive put it back to the current price they pay now.

kyliethicc

This makes sense for a ps5 Pro too. By current standards they'd have to produce 4 skus.

Ps5 disc
Ps5 digital
Ps5 pro disc
Ps5 pro digital

Now they'll sell
ps5 digital
Ps5 Pro digital
Separate disc drive attachment optional

And in future
PS6 digital
Optional drive.

The new slim model will just be called PS5 not PS5 Digital.

There will no longer be a PS5 DE. (Its not a digital edition if it can play discs.)

They're getting rid of both existing models next year and going forward with just one model.

Because you don't see that it's not going to be the same hardware or shape. You basically expect it to be a cheaper PS5 despite it likely being a slimmer redesign with some changes.

Easier to produce =/= cheaper to sell with the current price obstacles and low margins in the way. It just means they can make more stock faster to put on shelves. If you think this PS5 is going to be $399 when it comes out that's silly. The best that may happen is that the other countries were the current PS5 has a price rise will fall back to the old originally price. But then adding the disc drive put it back to the current price they pay now.

Not really at this point your just making things up.

You will have the one SKU and then a disk drive that you can buy separately.

That's how it's going to work and depending on if you want disks or not then the total price will change.

There will no longer be a PS5 DE. (Its not a digital edition if it can play discs.)

They're getting rid of both existing models next year and going forward with just one model.

Basically and it seems like Sony will try and cut costs again with this. Doesn't mean there will be a price drop but it can help prevent a further price increase.

No idea why some believe that Sony will charge extra because its a new model.

Ar¢tos

This should replace the digital version since there would be no need for 2 discless systems.
Thry would have to, no way Sony is releasing a Blu-ray drive that reads ps5 discs with a basic USB connector, they will have to add a proprietary port to the consoles to connect it. A USB drive would just make piracy easier (in the future).

BootsLoader

Banned
From a business point of view it makes sense.
1. More digital sales which mean more revenue.
2. Make money from the peripheral also.
3. You ban account, all games are lost, person will have to buy again.

Sony wins, we lose.

JaksGhost

People are saying no shit about it "working flawlessly" but how many Switch docks got messed up because people couldn't slide a device into a connector?

People are saying no shit about it "working flawlessly" but how many Switch docks got messed up because people couldn't slide a device into a connector?

I think the difference is how often you have to do that. I can see why Switch Docks might be more prone to failure than a disk drive.

Kerotan

I don't know what they'll be called I'm Just labelling them those names to make my point clear.

Swift_Star

Banned
Sorry, but who really wants a separate disc drive for their console.

Sony is already, affectively making one SKU, with one version which has a internal disc drive and the other doesn't. All the effort making an external disc drive which most likely will use more materials than what is required to produce the disc version PS5.
That's not how this works.
The production line isn't the same. The SKU isn't the same.
You clearly have no idea of what you're saying.

splattered

I wanted to wait for a full on slim model but no idea if this is that or when this will release... so gonna bite the bullet and finally pick up a ragnarok ps5 bundle so my kiddo can play ragnarok for christmas. Also he's gonna want Horizon's new DLC eventually and that's PS5 only so i guess time to buy this chonky bitch.

Justin9mm

35+ years of gaming and life experience, I don't need a source to tell me that Sony won't charge more than the retail difference between digital and physical edition console. It's called simple analytics, logic and business 101.

Last edited:
Top Bottom