• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: New PS5 with detachable disc drive test kit in people's hands, "works flawlessly"

Mr.ODST

In some weird way its a smart decision, lowers the entry point of getting into the console and £100 for the disc drive if you want discs, most people I know with PS5's or Series X's have digital copies of all their games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I feel like Sony is getting away with murder when it comes to the size and physical design of their console. i.e. its big, ugly and isnt stable, mines on its side and doesnt sit securly in the stand thing.

A separate disc drive is off the charts ugly but I get why they would go down that path to save/make more money.
The disk drive is SUPPOSED to look like it belongs on the console when attached, it doesnt sound like its some unit just sitting on top of it or on your desk

Justin9mm

Can't wait to see the price of this... I bet you it will be double the price then the retail price difference between digital and disc version console. It's a win win for them. Streamline production and make even more revenue. I'm all for the idea but not the ass raping they going to give consumers over it.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the point?

Who really is this console for
everyone GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is what I fear.

I doubt that the disc drive costs 100 dollars. This is just an extra effort into poshing people further into digital only. Which I fear will be quite effective.
I have and external USB 3.0 blu ray drive that I use with my laptop sometimes that I paid like $70 for two years ago. If Sony makes this thing cost more than $100 it would be robbery.

Justin9mm

In some weird way its a smart decision, lowers the entry point of getting into the console and £100 for the disc drive if you want discs, most people I know with PS5's or Series X's have digital copies of all their games.
£100 for the add on disc drive? Oh sweet child.

They going to charge double that or maybe more. This is Sony, they are going to make you pay for the privilege big time!

Banned
I mean they could release it with the current design, and the disc drive comes with the disc face plate, and you just plug that in and over it up with the faceplate.

AmuroChan

For those who want to have multiple PS5s in their home, this will allow you to just buy one disc drive that you can swap between consoles.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the point?

Who really is this console for
It’s for everyone.This is the new PS5 and it is fantastic if you think about it.You go into the shop and you buy a PS5 you have one perfect.But let’s say you hate digital so you buy the addon disc drive.And tada you have a normal PS5 with a disc drive.The prices will be the same as they were earlier.That means 50 or 100 difference between digital or disc version.So the addon will cost 49 0r 99

Last edited:

plip.plop

When this drops they will drop the disc version of the PS5 and go forward with the Digital-only version. It's a good strategy, it's really going to come down to price. Hang on to your PS5 disc console, they are going to be collectible.

Nautilus

Banned
I have and external USB 3.0 blu ray drive that I use with my laptop sometimes that I paid like $70 for two years ago. If Sony makes this thing cost more than $100 it would be robbery.
You also have to take it into account that that 70 dollars you paid for is the final price for customers.The store that you brought from paid probably half of that(Maybe a bit more) and the actual manufacturer spent half of the half(So around 17 dollars to make).

Sony manufactures those disc drives. So it should be relatively cheap for them. So again, I imagine that the reason the digital only version costs that much less is because Sony makes up for having everyone buying digital, which Sony has 100% of the profit, instead of the 60% to 70% that they get from physical sales due to stores taking a cut( Don't know the exact ammount).

//DEVIL//

I like this idea.
Obviously, the PS5 is going to be redesigned to something smaller ( if the newer motherboard found in the newest revision is anything to go buy.

That means Sony will be selling the slim PS5 without a drive for 400$. if you want the drive? here is 150$ extra. this way it's more expensive so Sony will make more money than selling them together.

But on the other hand, if the drive ever fails on you, all you do is just... send that back and continue playing. sure a bit more money but its kinda worth it.

now if they are going to ask for 200$ for the drive.. then can fuck off.

angrod14

I went with the digital ps5 this round because I thought I didn't need another drive. Constantly paying Sony prices with no competition sucks, especially when retail copies go on sale quickly.
I never understood this reasoning. Man there are PS Store sales all the time, most going from 50 up to 85 %, which is insane. Demons Souls is on a 58% sale right now, for example. The lowest a disc is going to get is 20 bucks (unless you're buying used), while digital sales go way under that.

The only way physical still makes sense is if you want to get rid of your stuff right after you beaten the story mode. I'm not on that front anymore; I prefer to keep my games.

I can't really justify buying discs anymore. I remember I bought Part II Collectors Edition and as I couldn't wait for the delivery I also ended up purschasing a digital copy; I was able to preload and play the game the second it was released and never ever touched the collector's after its arrival.

I'm really interested in this PS5 version if it actually ends up being the slim. That disc drive of mine won't have any more use after I finish with my PS4 backlog.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Surely then, this means a redesign. Can't imagine a current looking ps5 with a box off to the side connected with a cord. It'd be nicer than that I hope.

tmlDan

I am not trolling.

Whats the difference between the disc version and the disc-less version?
Price...

I don't buy disks, id prefer it being $100 less and also, from as business perspective they make more off digital games (plus only having one SKU) so why not make it the primary option and then you can buy a disk drive for $50 or less.

You could prob think a lil before posting, lots of people gave good reasons.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I like this idea.
Obviously, the PS5 is going to be redesigned to something smaller ( if the newer motherboard found in the newest revision is anything to go buy.

That means Sony will be selling the slim PS5 without a drive for 400$. if you want the drive? here is 150$ extra. this way it's more expensive so Sony will make more money than selling them together.

But on the other hand, if the drive ever fails on you, all you do is just... send that back and continue playing. sure a bit more money but its kinda worth it.

now if they are going to ask for 200$ for the drive.. then can fuck off.
150 dollars is fine, but 200 dollars is not?

lol

//DEVIL//

150 dollars is fine, but 200 dollars is not?

lol
yup. why is that funny?

the price difference between an internal PS5 drive and not is 100$. knowing Sony + cost of the shipping/boxing/drive housing, and marketing, there will be 50$ markup at least. but to charge 100$ for that is rubbish.

Pedro Motta

I don't understand how they didn't think of this right from the beginning. They could have avoided 2 separate SKU, 2 separate assembly lines, molds, licenses, patents. djeez.

You also have to take it into account that that 70 dollars you paid for is the final price for customers.The store that you brought from paid probably half of that(Maybe a bit more) and the actual manufacturer spent half of the half(So around 17 dollars to make).

Sony manufactures those disc drives. So it should be relatively cheap for them. So again, I imagine that the reason the digital only version costs that much less is because Sony makes up for having everyone buying digital, which Sony has 100% of the profit, instead of the 60% to 70% that they get from physical sales due to stores taking a cut( Don't know the exact ammount).
That’s right the store takes something and the disc production and shipping around the world to the different store cost also something which is all gone with digital sales

Nautilus

Banned
yup. why is that funny?

the price difference between an internal PS5 drive and not is 100$. knowing Sony + cost of the shipping/boxing/drive housing, and marketing, there will be 50$ markup at least. but to charge 100$ for that is rubbish.
I meant as its kinda funny that you think 150 dollars is ok, but 200 isn't, when 150 dollars would already be a robery.

Honestly, a good price would be 50 dollars for it. But I have a feeling that disc reader would land anywhere between 70 to 100 dollars.

Nautilus

Banned
That’s right the store takes something and the disc production and shipping around the world to the different store cost also something which is all gone with digital sales
Digital sales?

No, Sony would simply be cutting off the middle man in this case. Which means less costs, and more profits

danklord

Gold Member
I never understood this reasoning. Man there are PS Store sales all the time, most going from 50 up to 85 %, which is insane. Demons Souls is on a 58% sale right now, for example. The lowest a disc is going to get is 20 bucks (unless you're buying used), while digital sales go way under that.

The only way physical still makes sense is if you want to get rid of your stuff right after you beaten the story mode. I'm not on that front anymore; I prefer to keep my games.

I can't really justify buying discs anymore. I remember I bought Part II Collectors Edition and as I couldn't wait for the delivery I also ended up purschasing a digital copy; I was able to preload and play the game the second it was released and never ever touched the collector's after its arrival.

I'm really interested in this PS5 version if it actually ends up being the slim. That disc drive of mine won't have any more use after I finish with my PS4 backlog.
Demon Souls, a launch title, is a very bad example.

The Last of Us Part 1 is currently $69.99 on the PS Store while it is $49.99 at GameStop, Best Buy, and Amazon.

kyliethicc

I really don't get this at all.

1 PS5 model to produce instead of 2.
No more PS5 Digital Edition. Just PS5.
Make the disc drive an optional accessory for those who want it.
Can redesign the PS5 to be a bit smaller/slimmer.
Will lead to more digital game sales.

Also creates a perception of a price cut because they will be able to say PS5 is now just $399*
*optional disc drive accesory sold separately

9N314pf.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
1 PS5 model to produce instead of 2.
No more PS5 Digital Edition. Just PS5.
Make the disc drive an optional accessory for those who want it.
Can redesign the PS5 to be a bit smaller/slimmer.
Will lead to more digital game sales.

Also creates a perception of a price cut because they will be able to say PS5 is now just $399*
*optional disc drive accesory sold separately

9N314pf.jpg

I guess. As long as the pricing makes sense. We will see.

TheGrat1

I got the Last of Us Part II for $9.99 on disc, new, from Amazon. Black Friday pricing but still. A year and a half old game for next to nothing, and I am not a cheapskate when it comes to what I want either, the deal just fell in my lap for lack of a better term. I buy disc whenever possible and keep all of my games as well.

If nothing else the disc drive is a good 4k Blu-Ray player. I find it hard to turn my nose up at extra functionality.

kyliethicc

I guess. As long as the pricing makes sense. We will see.
Surely you at least understand how it will work and why Sony is gonna do it.

Price wise I guess it'll be something like this

$400 PS5
$500 PS5 + disc drive (bundle)
$120-150? disc drive (standalone)

I got the Last of Us Part II for $9.99 on disc, new, from Amazon. Black Friday pricing but still. A year and a half old game for next to nothing, and I am not a cheapskate when it comes to what I want either, the deal just fell in my lap for lack of a better term. I buy disc whenever possible and keep all of my games as well.

If nothing else the disc drive is a good 4k Blu-Ray player. I find it hard to turn my nose up at extra functionality.
I bought The Last of Us II from Walmart yesterday for 9.99
TLOU2 is 2.5 years old and was on sale for $10 on PSN on black friday too, as were many other games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom