• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Combat Trump, Democrats Ready a G.O.P. Tactic: Lawsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Keep digging that hole. Getting rid of the filibuster didn't work out so well for Democrats. I'm sure this will also not backfire in any way.

Policy fights and compromise are the best way forward.

We're not compromising on equality, or protecting the environment, or justice. Fuck off with that unity bullshit.

Sulik2

The DNC still isn't unified on being obstructionist. They are planning lawsuits the same day Tom Wheeler announces he is stepping down on 1/20 when he could have stayed on as FCC commissioner for another year to help obstruct Republican changes there.

necrosis

Keep digging that hole. Getting rid of the filibuster didn't work out so well for Democrats. I'm sure this will also not backfire in any way.

compromise is absolutely not the best way forward when dealing with literal fascists

talking about compromise and working across "both sides of the aisle" has only resulted in hitler reincarnate being made president-elect

The difference between the GOP suing Obama and his administration and the Dems doing it to Trump is Trump is actually fucking evil and his cabinet is full of exploiters of legal grey areas.

As far as I'm concerned, the Dems are just doing their jobs and I applaud them for finally putting into words that they will have a backbone when it comes to Trump's shitty policies.
This.

Barzul

LOL, you worried? Half the country did not vote for him. We will dig that hole till we get to the other side. This country has checks and balances and every side is welcome to use them.

California and New York appeals courts are going to become the new Texas.

trembli0s

Good luck with immigration. That's a tough road to hoe unless you can show actual deviation from laws which benefit the government with respect to removal and deportation.

Averon

Shit like this drive me up the wall. Why is it ALWAYS on the Democrats the placate the GOP? This double standard where the Democrats are always expected to kowtow to the GOP's demands, regardless of whether they are in power or not, is maddening.

Fuck that.

Republicans spent the last eight years being vociferously and blindly obstructionist.

Don't just challenge them on the unconstitutional shit. Throw everything they do under the bus. Obstruct every attempt they make to do anything in government; it's not even that hard, most of them barely work a day out of the year and only push boilerplate legislation from ALEC anyway. If you just take their parking spot they'll probably give up on being lawmakers for the day and go punt kittens.

Make the next four years exactly as shitty for them as they want them to be for everyone else.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

As someone advocating for good-faith policy fights and compromise, you voted Republican.

Do you know what accountability is?

BamfMeat

Aren't you the dude that was in the thread that got closed when people asked opinions on why you voted for Trump? Props to you for responding in that thread in a civil manner.

With that said, I know you won't respond. IMO, the team you are rooting for is getting their just desserts. They've tried to fight tooth and nail everything the dems have done the last 8 years.

The repubs made their bed, now they get to lay in it. There is very little you can "splain" away that would make this any better.

Policy fights and compromise are the best way forward

This is fucking hysterical.

The side you shill for actively prevented the federal government from FUNCTIONING for six years.

So no, "compromise" is not the way forward, since at this point, compromise means "give the GOP everything they want and maybe you get thrown a bone".

Block. Obfuscate. Gridlock.

Fuck them.

gabbo

If the Dems sue and obstruct the GoP, won't that just create a precedent that the GoP could use later? /s

The Republicans already spin things are Dems/Obama/The Left obstructing things, regardless of issue or actual facts. This will at least have some bite to it.

theguy

What hole are you referring to? Democrats have every right to use the legal system to battle Trump. It's funny how folks like you selectively choose what is and isn't legally acceptable.

And compromise? Republicans are the ones incapable of compromising. They're idea of a compromise is adding a toxic rider (e.g., repeal ACA) to every bill the Democrats attempt to pass, then blaming the Democrats for blocking "progress" when the bill is killed.

Gloat while you can. This entire country - especially those po' folk in the Rust Belt - are in for a rude awakening. And this time around, with Republicans running all three branches, there's no way you and your ilk will be able to pin it on the Dems. No. Way.

You broke it; and you'll soon be forced to buy it.

Jeffrey

It's a shame our government is in this state now. Wonder if anytime in the future both sides got tired of waging war with each other and actually try to get something productive done.

Can't imagine GOP abandoning the scorch earth strategy, although I do wonder if they are gonna do some soul searching for what they want out of there party post trump/putin america.

It's a shame our government is in this state now. Wonder if anytime in the future both sides got tired of waging war with each other and actually try to get something productive done.

Can't imagine GOP abandoning the scorch earth strategy, although I do wonder if they are gonna do some soul searching for what they want out of there party post trump/putin america.

I'm getting sick of seeing people fall for this bullshit narrative or purposefully perpetuating it.

This isn't remotely a both sides thing.

Republicans lobbed countless baseless lawsuits against Obama and Obamacare simply because he was a black man. No basis of him violating laws.

Trump and the GOP are preparing to break countless laws and a number of constitutional amendments, one that Trump already has a extensive history of doing.

So please stop this nonsense.

digdug2k

Asking the republicans to compromise is like asking a wolf to personally bite your hand.
What? They're fine compromising. All they were asking these last 8 years is for you to stop doing anything the Democrats voted to have done, and instead focus on just letting them do whatever they wanted. Simple compromise. Dems are the one's being unreasonable here.

Jeffrey

I'm getting sick of seeing people fall for this bullshit narrative or purposefully perpetuating it.

This isn't remotely a both sides thing.

Republicans lobbed countless baseless lawsuits against Obama and Obamacare simply because he was a black man. No basis of him violating laws.

Trump and the GOP are preparing to break countless laws and a number of constitutional amendments, one that Trump already has a extensive history of doing.

So please stop this nonsense.

Yep. And seems like Dems will fight back against muslim bans climate change etc. Just saying its a bummer how we ended up like this, with how much further right and the tactics the GOP will resolve to.

What? They're fine compromising. All they were asking these last 8 years is for you to stop doing anything the Democrats voted to have done, and instead focus on just letting them do whatever they wanted. Simple compromise. Dems are the one's being unreasonable here.

This may be the most naive thing I've ever read.
Not sure if joking...? Hard to tell these days...

Damerman

Risk government shutdown and all that other shit. Obstruct trump at every turn... hell if we could keep them from picking a justice until 2020, go for it... dead ass.

Acosta

Awesome, that's what USA needs: more suing.

Hard to argue when GOP is basically unable to compromise on anything but you know, doesn't sound too inspiring to me.

Ogodei

I was in the mindset that Democrats should hold themselves to a higher standard than Republicans held themselves to for the last eight years, but looking at the horrifying people he's stacking his cabinet with, it's honestly for the good of humanity and the planet that they do everything in their power to make his government as non-functional as possible.

Yup. Being the bigger man now just leads to you lying in a fetal position after the lesser man kicks you in the junk. Means you have to throw some sand in his face so that you can nutshot him first now.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
baseless lawsuits against Obama and Obamacare . . . No basis of him violating laws.

How many of those did they win? How many did they lose 9-0 (or 8-0, as the case may be)? I'm guessing you can't back up your "baseless lawsuits" rhetoric with actual data.

As for the OP, good. It's long past time federalism became a point of bipartisan agreement again.

IMO, the team you are rooting for is getting their just desserts.

The House, Senate, presidency, a majority of state governments, and a majority on the Supreme Court?

Oh, and a minor nitpick that I have to remind myself of from time to time: it's just deserts, not desserts (though it's pronounced the same way). They are getting that which they deserve, not a delicious treat.

The side you shill for actively prevented the federal government from FUNCTIONING for six years.

The Democrats not getting the policies they wanted isn't the same as the federal government not functioning. It's been doing plenty.

Asking the republicans to compromise is like asking a wolf to personally bite your hand.

Wouldn't the wolf bite your hand whether you asked it to or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom