• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLoU Part II is on sale for $20. I never played it. Do I want to?

kyliethicc

I played the first one and really enjoyed it.

I've watched the commotion about the second from a distance and was put off enough from what I read to refrain from buying it.

$20 isn't horrible, but I don't want to waste my time with crap. The gameplay seems to be similar to the first, which is fine.

So, simple question: Is the story worth playing through? I'm a big boy, and don't need a story to cater to my sensibilities. I only need it to be good.

Is it a good story? Is it well-told with good pacing and interesting character arcs? Is it worth the 20+ hour investment?

I know the big stink is what happens to Joel. I can live with that, if the story that follows is good. But I do not want another 'subverts expectations for the sake of it' trip.

So what sez you?
Buy it and play it.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Absolutely.

There's intense gameplay moments that I just couldn't put the controller down.

Ultimately, no one can predict if you'll like the game or not. You'll have to play this one.

Ignore the very vocal minority and judge for yourself.

There's a reason it won game of the year 2020 (and no, it's not for 'woke points').

I actively dislike TLoU2 and think it's a major step down from the first game, but for $20 I'd still say you should play it unless you have something else on your docket. The story is bad but it's not so bad that it's not worth playing to form your own opinion about it.

It's really bad, though. Not even because of the woke nonsense, which tends to be overstated (though there is a bit of it, particularly with a certain side character), but because they singularly failed to develop the same sort of relationships between the characters that they did in the first game, and then they continued to fail at doing that for well over twice the first game's runtime.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nope. dont go near it. i fucking loved the first game and was hyped for part 2 but it’s really bad. lmao i remember people would say it didnt need a sequel and i thought thats stupid…why wouldnt you want a sequel to a game you really liked? well…i learned a lesson. sometimes it is best just to leave it the fuck alone and dont ruin a good thing. i know i can just pretend it doesnt exist and try enjoy the first game for what it is but i can’t. i played the shit out the first game but dont have any interest in it anymore or even that world. the tv show is coming but eh… part 2 really pissed me off and now i refuse to play or watch anything naughty dog or neil druckmann are involved in.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
TLOU is by far my favorite modern naughty dog game and I never bought 2 either. I’ll just wait for it to be free at this point. I saw that bigot sandwich scene and the abby sex scene spammed on /v/ for months and it was all just too cringey.

ethomaz

Banned
I actively dislike TLoU2 and think it's a major step down from the first game, but for $20 I'd still say you should play it unless you have something else on your docket. The story is bad but it's not so bad that it's not worth playing to form your own opinion about it.

It's really bad, though. Not even because of the woke nonsense, which tends to be overstated (though there is a bit of it, particularly with a certain side character), but because they singularly failed to develop the same sort of relationships between the characters that they did in the first game, and then they continued to fail at doing that for well over twice the first game's runtime.
I don't believe they ever wanted you to build a relationship with the characters but instead to see the reality of the characters.
They are not developing Saint Heroes but humans with the good and bads.

The fact they build a mass murderer serial killer in the first game and gamers loved the characters as a hero tells a lot about the reality check they will have playing TLOU2..

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
TLOU is by far my favorite modern naughty dog game and I never bought 2 either. I’ll just wait for it to be free at this point. I saw that bigot sandwich scene and the abby sex scene spammed on /v/ for months and it was all just too cringey.
There are worst offenders imo. My favorite is when you are finally going to strt playing the damn game after many cutscenes but... Nope! Time to watch a Take on Me cover for a few minutes.

It's like they forgot everything about game design and just wanted to make a very good looking movie.

Mahavastu

Yes, it is a great game
there were some questionable story decisions, but it is still a great story and and even better game.

I had quite some fun with the game and with 20 bucks you can not make so much wrong.

If you have a PS5, the game even got a 60fps patch and it plays really good and smooth :pie_beaming_smiling:

ethomaz

Banned
So people saying the game story is bad without point any reason to it have their posts allowed in the thread.
My post that explained the points about the story that doesn't make it bad is deleted from the thread.

I mean... did TLOU2 hurt you or your family, mod?

Last edited:
I don't believe they ever wanted you to build a relationship with the characters but instead to see the reality of the characters.
They are not developing Saint Heroes but humans with the good and bads.

The fact they build a mass murderer serial killer in the first game and gamers loved the characters as a hero tells a lot about the reality check they will have playing TLOU2..
I'm not talking about the player's relationship with the characters, I'm talking about the characters' relationships with each other. TLoU2 introduces a large number of characters, many of whom are quite uncharismatic, tells us that they have relationships with each other rather than building these relationships organically through the story, and then kills them off at a rapid clip. But who cares if a bunch of people you barely know and don't particularly like die? This is one of the main issues with the game: it thinks it doesn't need to do the work to establish these characters for whatever reason.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not talking about the player's relationship with the characters, I'm talking about the characters' relationships with each other. TLoU2 introduces a large number of characters, many of whom are quite uncharismatic, tells us that they have relationships with each other rather than building these relationships organically through the story, and then kills them off at a rapid clip. But who cares if a bunch of people you barely know and don't particularly like die? This is one of the main issues with the game: it thinks it doesn't need to do the work to establish these characters for whatever reason.
I understand you points but for that the story should not have a point of view.
But it actually have two points of view focused in two characters... these characters won't know the point of view of others characters.

Unless you do narrative that has a omnipresent narrator that is not what TLOU or TLOU2 do... they use the point of view of the characters you are playing... characters relationship will only be build with interactions with the characters your are playing.

Said that the subplots are really subdeveloped to focus in the main plot but that was the same for TLOU... people loved that cannibal guy in the first even without he got any screen time to let people understand he was a cannibal (most people played the game and had no ideia).

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
They judge the entire game from two minuscule cutscenes?
Posters from /v?

You do you boo
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Absolutely brilliant gameplay, some awesome sections and we'll worth a play through but it is too long and doesn't hold a candle to the first game imo. I basically think Bruce Staley was the guy that made the first amazing and rained drunkman in. Just my guess and could be completely wrong on that though.

Last edited:

Fbh

For $20 it's absolutely worth it.
I do think it has pacing issues it's too long and gets a bit monotonous towards the end, but the combat is great, the visuals are still fantastic and overall it's still a game worth experiencing.

The story is all over the place IMO, the main core narrative is solid but some of the sub plots aren't very good (have said it in other threads but IMO if you removed the aquarium and the whole Owen sub plot the game would have been much better)

Arthimura

I had a good experience playing TLOU 2. The story is interesting and kept me involved.

In addition to the story, people really underestimates the gameplay. There's huge sections of combat and exploration, environments are bigger than in the first game and the mechanics are improved. For me it's worth for the gameplay and attention to the details alone.

They judge the entire game from two minuscule cutscenes?
Posters from /v?

You do you boo
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey
What about the
"trans" child
you spend half the game coöping with who's
pretending to be a boy because she's traumatized from her arranged marriage to an old man but who the game insists is actually a boy and has kill her own mother for refusing to recognize her gender identity

scydrex

I've watched the commotion about the second from a distance and was put off enough from what I read to refrain from buying it.

$20 isn't horrible, but I don't want to waste my time with crap. The gameplay seems to be similar to the first, which is fine.

So, simple question: Is the story worth playing through? I'm a big boy, and don't need a story to cater to my sensibilities. I only need it to be good.

Is it a good story? Is it well-told with good pacing and interesting character arcs? Is it worth the 20+ hour investment?

I know the big stink is what happens to Joel. I can live with that, if the story that follows is good. But I do not want another 'subverts expectations for the sake of it' trip.

So what sez you?
I brought it for $20. I knew about the story and everything. It´s a very good game but didn´t like the story. The woke stuff and how they executed the story is not for me. The gameplay is the same as the first... the only thing they added was the prone position but excellent, sound, music, graphics, details top notch. I played it on PS5 at 60fps.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Whatever you end up doing OP, make sure to look at the Fat Geralt memes. Best thing to come out of the game.

What about the
"trans" child
pretending to be a boy because she's traumatized from her arranged marriage to an old man but who the game insists is actually a boy and has kill her own mother for refusing to recognize her gender identity
And I bought the game thinking it was about surviving a mushroom apocalypse. Fuck me.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
yeah it wasnt because her mother was trying to kill her or something

ethomaz

Banned
What about the
"trans" child
Did you really played the game? Because that was not what happened in the game story.

Last edited:
Did you really played the game? Because that was not what happened in the game story.
That is literally what happened.

yeah it wasnt because her mother was trying to kill her or something
Try to approach this as a work of art for a second. Is this really quality storytelling? Really? If a patriarchal society tries to force a girl to do something she doesn't want to do and she rebels it's because she's actually a trans boy? And instead of humanizing her mom in some way the game just treats her as another deranged cultist and kills her offscreen. If you can't see how hackneyed and adolescent this plot is I don't know what to tell you.

Heres an opinion who is in neither the OMG BEST GAME 10/10 nor in the 1/10 WORST GAME GARBAGE LUL WOKE: From a technical point the fact that his game runs on base PS4 it's insane, from incredible character details to the way animations were made. It;s not a very pretty game tho, it looks depressing and most places are just ugly looking/lack detail. The gameplay is pretty much an improved version of the first and theres 0 reasons not to like it. Won't be something exciting like say God of War or Doom but it does the job done, and its even better if you play it on harder difficulties. The story has many issues but mainly the pacing and how it was constructed just does not feel right. I think the way things unfold was kinda poorly made but other than that, the main story, is fine, the characters themselves are great, it's for sure a more modern mature game and yes for what is worth even some of the Abby parts are really amazing later in the game. Audio is overall fine, nothing rly worth talking about, great voice acting as expected, good music, decent atmospheric sounds, etc. Basically a 7 at low 8 at best kind of game. Take that as you will.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

So what sez you?
Yes
This game shits on anything
And it living proof that the ceiling is budget not talent

Last edited:

El Muerto

The 2nd half of the game ruins the whole experience. And there's no closure at the very end. I really enjoyed the first one and i wish i never played the 2nd. The writing was just horrible and the gameplay was super generic.

SLB1904

Banned
Try to approach this as a work of art for a second. Is this really quality storytelling? Really? If a patriarchal society tries to force a girl to do something she doesn't want to do and she rebels it's because she's actually a trans boy? And instead of humanizing her mom in some way the game just treats her as another deranged cultist and kills her offscreen. If you can't see how hackneyed and adolescent this plot is I don't know what to tell you.
there is nothing patriarch about the scars, they are a cult. with extreme beliefs, but go on with your nonsense as you know better at storytelling than the people that get paid for it. i mean people getting stoned for being gay or having different religious beliefs is something unheard of in real life.
but at the end of the day, she killed her mother after being stabbed multiple times.

anyway instead of going back and forth here is pretty much what happened take your own conclusions

Last edited:
Is the physical ver on sale for 20$?

I may buy if so.

Granted i bought GOW and didnt even get past the intro… just dont have time for this shit anymore.

Really loved the first tho

avin

You owe it to yourself to have experienced it, irrespective of whether you end up loving or hating it. I don't love it, but it has heart-rending moments, and flashes of beauty mixed in with all the ugliness. I have to respect what was attempted here, and the technical polish with which it's delivered.

avin

Top Bottom