• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tidal, lossless Spotify competitor launches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobriquet

I swear this whole Tidal thing is like some covert plan by the record companies to muddle the water around streaming. Operation Fuck Up Spotify, basically.

Some of the artists are probably willing participants, others are seem just confused.

It's artist-owned.

RDreamer

I swear this whole Tidal thing is like some covert plan by the record companies to muddle the water around streaming. Operation Fuck Up Spotify, basically.

Some of the artists are probably willing participants, others are seem just confused.

It's just Jay Z and friends wanting to make some mad cash like Dre did. They realized (correctly) that the next big format for music was streaming. Unfortunately they realized it a bit late in the game.

Rookje

lWrJtFY.png

Dat original

25qRkNL.gif

You tried Jay Z.

It's just Jay Z and friends wanting to make some mad cash like Dre did. They realized (correctly) that the next big format for music was streaming. Unfortunately they realized it a bit late in the game.

Was Beat Streaming making that much money? I'd never even heard of it until I read an article saying that it was the real reason that Apple bought the Beats brand.

I suppose that may answer my question right there though...

knicks

Was Beat Streaming making that much money? I'd never even heard of it until I read an article saying that it was the real reason that Apple bought the Beats brand.

Diddy also has a streaming service I believe. None of them are successful except for Spotify. A lot of Jay-Z's success is due to who he is as a person, not because whatever he is doing is "smart business." Robinson Cano and Kevin Durant went with his agency because he is Jay-Z. No other reason. They could have got contracts/endorsements just as big without him. People will sign up for this shit due to the same reason.

I honestly don't understand how Roc Nation sold for as much as it did, but that's with many things. Beats got way more than I thought it was worth. WhatsApp...I think everything nowadays just gets way overpriced.

MercuryLS

Banned

This is like Google going after Facebook with Google+, it's already over, Spotify won. A higher quality version isn't going to do shit.

RDreamer

I'm not referring to Dre's money with Beats streaming. I'm just referring to him making money on other music-related business ventures. Beats streaming didn't do much at all. The headphones (and buyout) did.

I honestly don't understand how Roc Nation sold for as much as it did, but that's with many things. Beats got way more than I thought it was worth. WhatsApp...I think everything nowadays just gets way overpriced.

Eh, Apple got Dre and Iovine, took out a competitor, got a foundation and some experience for their foray into streaming music, and got a really well known and profitable headphones brand in one swoop. And it's not like they didn't have a shit-ton of money lying around.

Diddy also has a streaming service I believe. None of them are successful except for Spotify. A lot of Jay-Z's success is due to who he is as a person, not because whatever he is doing is "smart business." Robinson Cano and Kevin Durant went with his agency because he is Jay-Z. No other reason. They could have got contracts/endorsements just as big without him. People will sign up for this shit due to the same reason.

I'm not referring to Dre's money with Beats streaming. I'm just referring to him making money on other music-related business ventures. Beats streaming didn't do much at all. The headphones (and buyout) did.
Well Jay-Z, I guess to his credit, has been trying other business ventures outside of hip-hop for as long as anyone in the business. Dre just did it much better.

Daria

This is going to be a major flop and I almost feel bad for the artists. The idea behind this (and The Verge makes sense) is that it's similar to the United Artists move in Hollywood. The sad thing though, is that this is just another ploy from Hov to gobble up more profits. He's getting irrelevant in hiphop, the only thing he has holding him above water is his reputation and label.

Kanye and other artists are jumping on this to be in more control of their music, a la Taylor Swift putting her catalog on Tidal instead of other streaming services. Yet the average consumer will not understand or notice the difference between FLAC and a 320kbps MP3 they have in iTunes. The $20/month is a joke for anybody but audiophiles.

iNvid02

the lossless option is £20 per month here, the promo video is framing it to be some sort of revolution. get the fuck outta here

Allforce

Isn't the obvious rebuttal to this just Spotify offering a "320kbps" upgrade for cheaper than Tidal does? Am I crazy for thinking that nobody running this Tidal thing would see that as a viable answer to their strategy?

I don't understand how this Tidal service aims to overtake or even grab a substantial portion of the market. Hell I won't even pay for Spotify, I use it on occasion (holidays with family around) but Google Play Music just lets me store 50,000 songs online for free to access wherever I want.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This is going to be a major flop and I almost feel bad for the artists. The idea behind this (and The Verge makes sense) is that it's similar to the United Artists move in Hollywood. The sad thing though, is that this is just another ploy from Hov to gobble up more profits. He's getting irrelevant in hiphop, the only thing he has holding him above water is his reputation and label.

Kanye and other artists are jumping on this to be in more control of their music, a la Taylor Swift putting her catalog on Tidal instead of other streaming services. Yet the average consumer will not understand or notice the difference between FLAC and a 320kbps MP3 they have in iTunes. The $20/month is a joke for anybody but audiophiles.
Service looks fine but them pleading the 'for the people' and 'revolution' angle - when it's for all intents and purposes a bog standard streaming app if you don't need lossless - is a load of pretentious shit designed to pad their own bank accounts. You couldn't ask for a less relatable bunch of rich people to push this product on the public.

I lol'd at Kanye looking miserable as per.

Really though, what codec is this? If it's FLAC, shouldn't it be all or nothing if your reception dips? Otherwise, it's build-to-lossless, in which case, you might as well have 320kbps, not that you're getting that all the time on Spotify anyways.

Yeah so I guess the outrage about spotify from that bony ass famous chick probably wasnt so genuine and she's actually on this service. the whole thing against spotify was just BS.

knicks

Eh, Apple got Dre and Iovine, took out a competitor, got a foundation and some experience for their foray into streaming music, and got a really well known and profitable headphones brand in one swoop. And it's not like they didn't have a shit-ton of money lying around.

Well Jay-Z, I guess to his credit, has been trying other business ventures outside of hip-hop for as long as anyone in the business. Dre just did it much better.

I would credit Monster for the success of Beats by "Dre."

He got lucky and won a lawsuit that essentially gave him the company.

KHarvey16

I don't understand why you would want to stream lossless audio. The major benefit is having a compressed music library you don't have to transcode and ruin when producing copies. As far as audio quality goes controlled blind testing generally eliminates any perception differences between properly encoded 320kbps MP3 and lossless or source. I don't know if many can consistently tell the difference to any statistically valid level.

DOWN

Banned
what's wrong with flac

It has huge file sizes and in blind testing, no one can tell the difference between that and 320kbps. No matter what the audio experts of the internet tell you. This means it is a nonsense distinction for streaming. For storage archives, fine, but streaming? Nah

mreddie

So I should stick with Pandora, Spotify or even Beats Music...I had that sub.

Seriously, there are cheaper alternatives and those are the ones who are succeeding right now.

FZZ

Banned
Got 4/5 on the lossless test, dunno if it is worth it honestly. Some songs I could really tell the difference, other songs it just seemed like minute details I wouldn't really care about.

Karl2177

I like lossless audio. I like streaming audio. I would like to stream lossless audio. I'm also smart enough to know that the US (aka primary market for this) has piss poor infrastructure. While the demand for such a product may exist, there isn't a good method of delivery. To add to that, it seems really silly to charge $20/month for this. Try again in 15 years.

Melon Husk

No thanks! 320kbps MP3 is good enough on-the-go. FLAC is great for storage though.

Spotify's current UI isn't even their best version, Tidal's is shamelessly copied from the current one.

I only got 3/5 correct on that test.

Using Fostex T50RP with a cheap ass Fiio E7. Not really getting the most out of these headphones tbh.

Don't think my headphones could do the sub-bass on James Blake justice either way and there was nothing else to listen for so I just guessed. Then I got the Eagles song wrong but I didn't feel the recording was super good. The Dixie Chicks song I could tell instantly it was crazy.

Seems like a cool site tho.

Goldrush

Isn't the obvious rebuttal to this just Spotify offering a "320kbps" upgrade for cheaper than Tidal does? Am I crazy for thinking that nobody running this Tidal thing would see that as a viable answer to their strategy?

I don't understand how this Tidal service aims to overtake or even grab a substantial portion of the market. Hell I won't even pay for Spotify, I use it on occasion (holidays with family around) but Google Play Music just lets me store 50,000 songs online for free to access wherever I want.

I'm guessing Spotify will have to negotiate for the ability to stream lossless audio. While I could see a future where Spotify, Google Play, and Beats stream lossless audio also, I doubt it'll be any cheaper. With this service, I think the industry collectively "decided" that regular streaming will be $10/month and lossless will be $20/month. Considering that even Apple can't get them to budge on the $10/month, I doubt anyone else will be able to.

So have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7s, which is the exact pair pictured in the background of the audio test, and I got 1/5. It was totally indistinguishable to me. So, busted pair of cans, bad audio setup on my PC, or is this whole thing just snake oil?

You can call it "snake oil" if you wish. The main point is, there is almost nobody that can really tell the difference between 320 kbps and lossless. The human ear simply isn't capable on most people.

I'm going to give the test a shot once I get home on very high end headphones and see if I can tell a difference. I suspect the answer will be no.

Holy fuck is this real? That's so similar that i'm sure there's grounds for a copyright lawsuit here.

Nope. that's exactly how it is lol. I noted the same in the other Tidal thread. I'm sure in a week or two, you'll see a Tidal top US and viral 50.

I mean I guess it's good for people who are really used to the Spotify interface.

edit: They also copied Beats Music's fast forwarding and rewinding with the circle scroll.

BraXzy

I got 4/5 correct but the difference wasn't so extreme that I'd feel happy paying that much for it. Interesting service though.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just curious, does ANYONE think Tidal is a good idea?

Anyone?

Is anyone defending it?
I'm not sure anyone could say it is a bad idea though - it's just another competing music streaming service. It's just the marketing of it that is making everyone think, 'WTF?'.

Yeah so I guess the outrage about spotify from that bony ass famous chick probably wasnt so genuine and she's actually on this service. the whole thing against spotify was just BS.

I just did a search and yes her music is on Tidal. LOL

But she didn't put 1989 on there though.

This seems like realizing movies are going to be huge a few months after Titanic releases. They're way, way waaaaaay late to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom