• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Mark Cerny talks Dolby Atmos support for PlayStation 5

Drew1440

XSX does of course have a audio chip, but it isn't anything alike to Tempest Engine architecturally. There is a possibility that it is just more performant/faster at this particular processing.
Developers probably are not making full use of it whilst their games are cross-gen, as the Xbox One has to do audio processing on the APU (AMD TrueAudio), hopefully once more advanced games come out we can see better use.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Smart? It is imho overdue.
I am kinda perplexed that audio hasn't been a major marketing thing since at least previous PS4 days. Any game that has proper directional infos when playing was instantly much more fun, and we should know that since Audigy some 20+ years ago, or practically any half decent onboard sound card as well. Always a bummer when I have no idea where the enemy is coming from especially in an arena like setting where they spawn anywhere and you have to rely on visual spoting.
Adding this (and 1440 support) so late is just weird. Improving some stuff over the platform's lifetime is absolutely necessary but features that should be there from the get go coming so late is kinda disappointing. This should be stuff coming alongside Tempest at launch and not Tempest first and then only after months or years supporting other standards.

You're asking for everything to be done at launch which is literally impossible. Nothing on Planet Earth works this way!

John getting raked over the coals

Not sure if I have any sympathy. Remember df you enabled these nutters. Reap what you sow.

Might not follow the crowd, but on LG Oled seting HDMI Input Audio Format to PCM on Series X allows for Dolby Atmos (not stereo) without lag (or as much lag)

i know John Linneman wants everyone to use 5.1 uncompressed to avoid delay, but if this PCM setting improves the delay witj Dolby Atmos with no audio downgrade I can perceive, it feels like the better trade off (if its trading anything at all)

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

XSX does of course have a audio chip, but it isn't anything alike to Tempest Engine architecturally. There is a possibility that it is just more performant/faster at this particular processing.
If that were the case, wouldn't there be a delay when using headphones? I can confirm that this isn't the case.

Might not follow the crowd, but on LG Oled seting HDMI Input Audio Format to PCM on Series X allows for Dolby Atmos (not stereo) without lag (or as much lag)

i know John Linneman wants everyone to use 5.1 uncompressed to avoid delay, but if this PCM setting improves the delay witj Dolby Atmos with no audio downgrade I can perceive, it feels like the better trade off (if its trading anything at all)
This is my experience with my LG as well. I can output atmos and dolby digital to the TV and the lag is almost imperceivable. I then throw the signal to my soundbar over eArc, and it's close to a half of a second delay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom