• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tidal, lossless Spotify competitor launches

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is FLAC a better quality than 320kbps mp3's?

Didn't notice any diff btw.

Technically yes, but you won't hear any difference if they are from the same master. No matter what your set-up.

It's placebo for people who want to believe they are getting the best out of their equipment.

rezuth

lWrJtFY.png

Dat original

Kibbles

I do most of my streaming in the car so with data plans this FLAC stuff is bad news. 320kbps sounds just as good for my use

Derpyduck

Banned
Wow.... Not surprised considering this thing is owned by Jay Z :p

I wonder if Spotify can sue them for blatantly ripping off their UI.

Right after Dr. Dre sues him for ripping off his method of over-hyping and then over-charging for something that you can get elsewhere much cheaper.

studyguy

How much data does this shit use?
I don't even use the best quality on Google Play due to trying to cut back on data caps for my phone plan.

Also that UI above is two different applications lol?

How much data does this shit use?
I don't even use the best quality on Google Play due to trying to cut back on data caps for my phone plan.

It depends on the song

Since it's loseless, every song will have a different bit rate (anywhere from 500 kbps to higher)

RoKKeR

Been using the free trial for the past day or so with a good pair of headphones and damn, the quality is ridiculous. Not something I would pick up on with my $30 earbuds that I usually use, but when you sit down and take it all in it makes a huge difference.

Not something I'm sure I want to drop $20 a month but it does sound unbelievable.

Sobriquet

I'm more interested in this for the $10 plan as a alternative to Spotify. Can anyone that's used the trial do a quick comparison? How big is the selection?

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm trying it out. The FLAC vs. 320kbps argument is a lot of fact mixed in with a touch of smoke and mirrors and some power of suggestion thrown in. At a fundamental, basic level, there is a difference. Is it perceptible? It depends on a lot. Your headphones, the song in question, the hardware processing the music, etc. In most use-cases, which likely involve just a laptop and a cheap pair of headphones or a mobile device, the answer is "no."

At home I run ALAC; on my iPhone, I have 320kbps. But the headphones I use for my phone are PortaPros, at home I have...more expensive cans. I don't expect to be able to distinguish between lossless and 320 on my iPhone, but on principle I like that someone's finally stating that now is the time to make lossless an option for streaming/download.

I also like the UI of the app a lot more than Spotify's, and I trust that maybe when I delete offline content through Tidal, it will actually delete. The music videos + built-in airplay support is definitely a shot across the bow at Vevo, whose app I absolutely can't stand. Overall it's a slick product, and I have a couple of weeks to determine if it's worth this much more than Spotify.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Isn't lossless format just for archival purposes?

If you're just streaming it... what's the point?

It's the amount of data you're streaming. Compression works by (without over-simplifying too much) removing data. Usually it's the bits - ha - you wouldn't miss anyway. Usually. It depends on how good a job you did. FLAC/ALAC both claim to be "lossless," which is why the finished file is so big. Technically you can stream anything, but if the amount of available bandwidth isn't enough to choke down the file, you'll get breaks, timeouts, etc.

You should probably only stream FLAC over wifi. :)

Ricker

Only one I got right was Hotel California lol...didnt try with my bottom line Sennheiser though :p (regular,I hate ear buds)...I will stick to free Spotify for now :p

rezuth

The only ones that sounded different were the Wilhelm and Dixie Chicks one. 5/5

I'll pass,Spotify offline playlists are too important for me right now.

I guess I'm no audiophile because even though I got 4/5 right I did not hear a difference at all. Might be that I'm wearing Marshall headphones on a MacBook Pro though, I dunno.

E92 M3

20 bucks a month for music that's played everyday on the radio anyway is such a rip off. I pay 5/month for Di.fm and the quality is great.

smiggyRT

I guess I'm no audiophile because even though I got 4/5 right I did not hear a difference at all. Might be that I'm wearing Marshall headphones on a MacBook Pro though, I dunno.

I only have a pair of Sony earphones worth a tenner.

Maybe they're just fudging the results?

RDreamer

lWrJtFY.png

Dat original

I like that their big social media campaign is to turn everyone's avatar and cover photo cyan... and then they don't even fucking carry that through to the product at all? This is now how you create a brand identity... derp.

Is there any hardcore proof that this service is giving more money to musicians? I'm legitimately curious about that aspect as lossless streaming means nothing to me when the majority of music I listen to is synced to my iPhone.

Guevara

I swear this whole Tidal thing is like some covert plan by the record companies to muddle the water around streaming. Operation Fuck Up Spotify, basically.

Some of the artists are probably willing participants, others are seem just confused.

I swear this whole Tidal thing is like some covert plan by the record companies to muddle the water around streaming. Operation Fuck Up Spotify, basically.

Some of the artists are probably willing participants, others are seem just confused.

What sort of long-term plans are you imagining? I'm seeing most people not care, some people care only enough to dig in their heels with Spotify, and a few curious to try out Tidal but ultimately return to Spotify. Are you thinking somehow some people will leave the streaming phenomenon altogether? Because I don't see that.

Every advertisement for Tidal is also an advert for Spotify since their claim to fame is "better than Spotify". This only heightens the use of streaming from my perspective.

So have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7s, which is the exact pair pictured in the background of the audio test, and I got 1/5. It was totally indistinguishable to me. So, busted pair of cans, bad audio setup on my PC, or is this whole thing just snake oil?

Guevara

What sort of long-term plans are you imagining? I'm seeing most people not care, some people care only enough to dig in their heels with Spotify, and a few curious to try out Tidal but ultimately return to Spotify. Are you thinking somehow some people will leave the streaming phenomenon altogether? Because I don't see that.

Every advertisement for Tidal is also an advert for Spotify since their claim to fame is "better than Spotify". This only heightens the use of streaming from my perspective.

Record exec logic: they have to go back to iTunes /record exec logic

xsarien

daedsiluap

I'm currently in the trial period. I think the only reason I'd wind up staying is if I find that I start using it at home without my iPhone.

Levyne

Banned
Can't tell on a Xonar Essence Stx and Sennheiser 558s, the headphones might be too midrange or I have to double check my card setup. Or I just can't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom