• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok Review Thread

?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Timu

Right, because directors are always perfectly consistent.
Good ones are like Denis Villeneuve!=p Not to mention, Thor 2 was already a low bar so any director who mostly made decent to great stuff would had a far better chance than a not so good director.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Good ones are like Denis Villeneuve!=p Not to mention, Thor 2 was already a low bar so any director who mostly made decent to great stuff would had a far better chance than a not so good director.
Im glad that Marvel let Taika go ham and do his thing.
The tone and look of the movie is sooo different from Thor and tHoR 2: ThE DaRk WoRlD

Slayven

To play devil's advocate, Scott Weinberg was kinda complaining about it earlier.

But he's framing it as a Disney/Marvel thing, which isn't isolated to them. And regardless, the idea that 7.7 at 100% RT is unusual yet again misunderstanding how Rotten Tomatoes works.

I love a good Tinfoil Hat

DJChuy

Wow! Currently at 98%

Movie looks like a blast, and my gf will most likely enjoy this film if it's more of a comedy. She's not keen on CBM but enjoyed GotG2 and Homecoming because of the humor.

Two more weeks!

zsynqx

Several reviews have felt that it has broken formula actually. This is what the Verge said:

"It all comes together to create a film that’s simply a joy to watch, with a personality that’s wholly its own. That’s no small feat, particularly given how saturated we are with superhero movies. And it is also worth noting that the quirks of Thor: Ragnarok may not be for everyone. There are no sacred cows in Waititi’s movie, and fans who prefer their superheroes straight-faced and without meta-commentary might chafe at its irreverence. But the willingness to play with genre tropes is one of the most exciting things about Thor: Ragnarok. Marvel felt comfortable letting Waititi bring his sensibilities to bear on the material, even if it might go a step too far for some viewers. That’s the kind of creative flexibility that has always seemed difficult for the studio to embrace. But with filmmakers like Waititi, Gunn, and Black Panther director Ryan Coogler all making their marks on the universe, perhaps we’re entering a phase where Marvel is embracing its directors’ individualistic voices instead of trying to beat them down."

Sounds great!

So glad they let Taika do his thing, just a shame they didn't let Edgar do his
yup still salty about that

Finaj

Sounds great!

So glad they let Taika do his thing, just a shame they didn't let Edgar do his
yup still salty about that

It could be because Ike Perlmutter isn't involved in Marvel Studios anymore. Now Kevin Feige just reports to Disney.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm down with it. The best Marvel movies so far have been ones that embrace the the oddity of the situation like GOTG or IM3.

Only one I felt that did the serious story right was WS. Hell, best parts of the OG Capt. America was the first half.

Also, Tessa gonna be eating.

Isn't everything after The Avengers the funniest and most fun Marvel movie ever ?!

After Guardians actually

That went above expectations after people got tired of them rehashing Avengers. Therefore they take for granted that any Marvel movie that doesn't feel like Avengers all over again is "way more than a comic book movie". Last year you had Doctor Strange at like 100% RT while you had people saying stuff like "only movies like Titanic have gotten this kind of unanimous praise" or "I knew it just look at the trailers, it's not just a superhero film it's kind of like Inception and The Matrix" when Doctor Strange is actually one of the most average movies ever

Can't wait! Taika da god!
DFeE0ylWsAA_zpU.jpg

Agreed, Dr. Strange was average as heck. Not sure why people hyped it so much. Maybe Cumberbunch hype?

initial tripping-balls scene (outside of cumberbatch's tiresome yelling), mirror dimension stuff, time-rewinding setpiece are all pretty visually/conceptually neat but yeah the actual story and acting are garbo

I would love it if every superhero movie had a Loganesque tone, but I never expected Thor: Ragnarok to be that once the trailers hit.

Hope one day the MCU movies will get in line with the Netflix aesthetic and tone. I'll be very happy when that day comes ^^

You shut your porky mouth. Shane Black gave us the best film to grace the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If I was in charge of Marvel Studios I would have given Black the keys to Infinity War.

Someone who gets it. IM3 ain't the best but it's definitely up there, movie is flames (no shitty extremis pun intended).

Kept forgetting Karl Urban is in this movie. Thing keeps getting better and better. Taika is a good time - What We Do In The Shadows was better than it had any right to be, and we're looking at the first good Thor movie now.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
So far my favourite movies are Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3. I’m guessing this movie is right up my sleeve.

Yeah well I need to wait to see what my boy has to say about it before I buy a ticket.

I'll also not tolerate IM3 slander. It's a top 5 MCU film.

Agreed, Dr. Strange was average as heck. Not sure why people hyped it so much. Maybe Cumberbunch hype?

Dude stank in it. Maybe if they let him keep his accent he might have been alright. But what we got from his lead character was a bad impression of Dr. House if he got superpowers

I can't imagine this is the dude that is gonna replace stark as the Avengers lead when RDJ leaves

Not sure I'd go that far, but

Iron Man 3 > Avengers

I say unto thee.

Well, yeah. Both Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 3 are top five. Avengers sure ain't.

Dude stank in it. Maybe if they let him keep his accent he might have been alright. But what we got from his lead character was a bad impression of Dr. House if he got superpowers

I can't imagine this is the dude that is gonna replace stark as the Avengers lead when RDJ leaves

He's pretty dull in Doctor Strange but I'll see how he is in other appearances. Most of these actors don't have the immediate appeal of a Hugh Jackman or RDJ. Like, some of these Thor Ragnarok impressions are saying Hemsworth finally found his groove and this is his fifth outing.

Plus, having Black Panther be the new face of the MCU would be better.

Dr Strange might be decent, but its forever tainted for me because I saw it on Election Day.

I was just thinking the other day, but remember the time that the Cubs won the World Series for the first time in over 100 years?

No, because Trump was elected president a week later.

Top Bottom