• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok Review Thread

?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Uh... care to explain what you mean?

To play devil's advocate, Scott Weinberg was kinda complaining about it earlier.

https://twitter.com/scottEweinberg/status/921051578555097090 said:
Critics* agree! Thor Ragnarok is great! ( * a few hand-picked critics in NY and LA )

Disney pulls this on every Marvel movie. Certain NY & LA critics see movie. THEN the embargo is lifted. A week LATER all critics see it.

So when an embargo is lifted on a Marvel movie, that only applies to their chosen press. The rest have to wait another week. It's shady.

This screws over so many other outlets too. It's like 25 sites get a head start on their reviews and everyone else has to just stand there.

I'm not jealous, petty, or angry. This practice sucks. You don't lift a review embargo after showing a film to two markets. That's shady.

But he's framing it as a Disney/Marvel thing, which isn't isolated to them. And regardless, the idea that 7.7 at 100% RT is unusual yet again misunderstanding how Rotten Tomatoes works.

I am actually disappointed that this appears to be a poorly written story with lots of laughs. I am all for comedy, but I was hoping the tone of this movie would have a serious dramatic plot and be more in line with some of the more recent Marvel movies like Dr Strange and Civil War. I also really thought Guardians of the Galaxy II was fairly bad.

Trace

Banned
I am actually disappointed that this appears to be a poorly written story with lots of laughs. I am all for comedy, but I was hoping the tone of this movie would have a serious dramatic plot and be more in line with some of the more recent Marvel movies like Dr Strange and Civil War. I also really thought Guardians of the Galaxy II was fairly bad.

Have you seen ANY of the trailers for this? The entire marketing has oozed 80s buddy movie vibes. You're not going to get a serious dramatic plot out of that, that's what Infinity War is far.

That's entirely your fault. This movie was never marketed as being that.

Even when many responses here are disappointed with the direction I am very happy to hear it is pretty much a comedy.

The Team Thor short clips were amazing and I thought the trailers made it seem too much like the other Marvel movies at times.

shira

This clip seems to be a good example of finding pathos in the humor if anyone is worried about that.

giphy.gif

It's the most fun I've had with a Marvel movie. It's funnier than Guardians, has better action than Civil War and it's so.fucking.colorful! It even has a good soundtrack! A Marvel movie! With a good Soundtrack!

It's a straight-up comedy and I can already see quite a few people not being OK with that but I loved every single minute of it. ANd yes, I aboslutely did care about the characters. This movie had the most captivating side characters I can remember for a Marvel movie. Saying much more would spoil the movie but Tessa Thompson is fucking amazing in this.

Thank you for this.

*Omega-Level Hype Engaged*

I knew Mothersbaugh would deliver on the soundtrack, he was very very enthusiastic about working with Taika, Mark also mentioned he was going back through earlier Devo archives to get the right synths and the right feel.

Supposedly Taika plays a mean theremin app.

Adhere to formula. Pack it with humor and “witty banter”. Add loads of CG infused action. Make sure the loveable characters have some semblance of an “arc”.

Yep, that’s a Marvel movie. Critics always lap this shit up.

It’ll be a fun diversion that my mind will erase from the data banks within a couple of hours.

Comic book movies are so played out. Thank god for Logan this year.

Adhere to formula. Pack it with humor and “witty banter”. Add loads of CG infused action. Make sure the loveable characters have some semblance of an “arc”.

It’ll be a fun diversion that my mind will erase from the data banks within a couple of hours.

"I'll have a lot of fun"

"I'm tired of this shit"

Confusedguy.jpg

Finaj

Several reviews have felt that it has broken formula actually. This is what the Verge said:

"It all comes together to create a film that’s simply a joy to watch, with a personality that’s wholly its own. That’s no small feat, particularly given how saturated we are with superhero movies. And it is also worth noting that the quirks of Thor: Ragnarok may not be for everyone. There are no sacred cows in Waititi’s movie, and fans who prefer their superheroes straight-faced and without meta-commentary might chafe at its irreverence. But the willingness to play with genre tropes is one of the most exciting things about Thor: Ragnarok. Marvel felt comfortable letting Waititi bring his sensibilities to bear on the material, even if it might go a step too far for some viewers. That’s the kind of creative flexibility that has always seemed difficult for the studio to embrace. But with filmmakers like Waititi, Gunn, and Black Panther director Ryan Coogler all making their marks on the universe, perhaps we’re entering a phase where Marvel is embracing its directors’ individualistic voices instead of trying to beat them down."

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Critics don't know shit, Ima right?

neoanarch

Yes. It's just as overrated.
Logan is a good movie. But what that poster is doing is shitposting and then adding the Logan bit to try and give his bs some sort of authority. As if because someone likes what is considered one of the better comic book based movies then that gives extra weight to their opinion. Its not even subtle.

Betty

Banned
Is Logan the new Dark Knight?
yes! The shit the "film lovers" will trot out and beat like some sort of dead horse

Logan is fantastic but lacks a truly great villain like Dark Knight had.

Also, wow at that rotten tomatoes consensus, good stuff.

Prompto

Banned
Why are we comparing Logan and Thor anyway? Ones more of a drama. The other a comedy. They're aiming for two separate things.

Glad I'm able to appreciate that we live in a world where we can have both Logan and Thor 3 come out in the same year and both be awesome for entirely different reasons.

I just hope the humor in this one is better than the "humor" in Thor: The Dark World, which wasn't funny at all yet permeated that film incessantly.

(Well, to be fair, Loki doing Cap was hilarious)

I'm sorta bummed that there's a poll and Thor 2: The Dark World isn't an option. Of all the places, shouldn't this one have it?

Watching this next saturday (Thanks UK!) hopefully it's gonna be great.

I really liked Logan, but not everything needs to be dark and gritty. But that ending was terrible.

Winter Soldier is easily my favorite MCU movie and I wished more of the movies would take a similar approach. Civil War and Dr Strange were also really good with solid stories that took the drama seriously and mixed in a bit of light comedy. Homecoming was fairly good in this respect also (same with the first two Avenger movies). But I'll keep an open mind when I see Thor. But the comparison to Gardians 2 has me worried because that's really the only MCU movie that I really did not like so far.

This clip seems to be a good example of finding pathos in the humor if anyone is worried about that.

I like this. And I really liked the clip with Thor and Hulk talking about being like a raging fire. That was good also.

EDIT: Just realized I am no longer a junior, only took about three years!

Tagg9

Wait... this got good reviews? Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are impressively consistent in quality - I thought for sure this was going to be worse than the Thor 2 shitshow.

Seesaw15

Logan was a solid western buoyed by 17 years of attachment to a character. It was a nice swan song for Jackman but I don't think it should be dictating the direction of comic book movies. There's enough rooms for dark westerns and space adventures.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait... this got good reviews? Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are impressively consistent in quality - I thought for sure this was going to be worse than the Thor 2 shitshow.

The director Taika Waititi is legit good.
LEGIT

I do wonder how do studios pick directors:
"Man, who should we choose to direct the sequel to our weakest super hero movie yet and save the franchise"
"Oh i know, that dude that made the funny vampire movie"

ZeoVGM

Banned

I always feel really embarrassed for people when they try to pretend they push their feelings on others.

I certainly remember Guardians 2 very well! I remember Ant-Man very well and that was WAAAY back in 2015.

Top Bottom