• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thomas Game Docs polls the best to worst mainline Zelda game

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Obligatory

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Whoever this guy is, I'll let him do his own promotion. There is way too much cross-promotion to video channels on GAF as is.

Worst Zelda game? Undoubtedly Zelda II. But if we get to count the CD-i games, then all of those.

fart town usa

Gold Member
worst to best - based on a survey

Zelda 2
Triforce Heroes
4 Swords Adventures (GBA)
Legend of Zelda
4 Swords Adventures (GCN)
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
Minish Cap
Skyward Sword HD
Link's Awakening
Link to the Past
Link Between Worlds
Twilight Princess
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
Breath of the Wild

fart town usa

Gold Member
I hear it has good dungeons? That alone will put it above botw for me.
When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's really bad.

The music is awesome, parts of the story are really cool. Some of the dungeons are awesome but it has some serious padding issues in the later parts of the game and the swimming controls are laughably bad, aiming is kinda shit too cause it relies on Motion + and not IR.

Not sure if the HD version addresses the aiming/swimming or anything else.

I wouldn't recommend it for full price but would get it if you can find it for $30 on the Switch. The Wii version is $20 on the WiiU eShop.

Trogdor1123

Zelda 2
Triforce Heroes
Legend of Zelda
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
Minish Cap
Skyward Sword HD
Link's Awakening
Link to the Past
Link Between Worlds
Twilight Princess
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
Breath of the Wild
Not that bad, other than Majoras being way too high.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
If you swap BOTW and Ocarina, put the Oracle games above Minish Cap, and swap LTTP ahead of Link Between Worlds and I'm on board.

Codes 208

I dont know who this is, or why i should care,

But the top five are respectable choices imo. Not too far off from my own (just swap botw with majoras mask and boom, perfect)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not that bad, other than Majoras being way too high.
Yea, I still can't get into Majora's. Some day hopefully. Can't really form an opinion on it cause I never make it past the first dungeon, it's just a slog having to jump through all the fetch quest type things but I still can't write it off cause so many people speak so highly of it.

I never understood the absolute adoration for Wind Waker, i don't think it's a bad game but it's always been underwhelming to me. I think the dungeons are flat out boring and I really dislike the boat aspect. HD version is definitely an improvement but it's never been one of my favorites. I do love the art style and the OST though. I actually think Phantom Hourglass is a better game, lol.

LTTP, Link's Awakening, Twilight Princess, and OOT are my personal favorites.

Zelda 2 gets way too much hate. It's weird as hell, but it really is a great (albeit flawed) game

I still want to l play skyward sword. Is it really as bad as people say? Isn't it linear zelda? How bad can it be?
There's almost no exploration since getting to the dungeons themselves kinda play like dungeons themselves and the sky is just a glorified hub. If the lack of exploration doesn't bother you, you'll probably like it. I personally think it's one of the better Zelda games, especially the HD remaster - it fixes a lot of the little things that were annoying.

When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's really bad.

The music is awesome, parts of the story are really cool. Some of the dungeons are awesome but it has some serious padding issues in the later parts of the game and the swimming controls are laughably bad, aiming is kinda shit too cause it relies on Motion + and not IR.

Not sure if the HD version addresses the aiming/swimming or anything else.

I wouldn't recommend it for full price but would get it if you can find it for $30 on the Switch. The Wii version is $20 on the WiiU eShop.

I think I'll give it a shot. It's been on my radar for a while and is the only main zelda game I have never played. I'll never forget the botched e3 live gameplay demo.

nkarafo

Zelda 2
Triforce Heroes
Legend of Zelda
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
Minish Cap
Skyward Sword HD
Link's Awakening
Link to the Past
Link Between Worlds
Twilight Princess
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
Breath of the Wild

Link Between Worlds is good enough to beat Link to the Past?

Never played that one. Dual screen Zeldas bored me out on DS so i skipped that as well.

I still want to l play skyward sword. Is it really as bad as people say? Isn't it linear zelda? How bad can it be?

It has some of the best dungeons in the series IMO.

But the sky is the most boring overworld. I thought the sea in Wind Waker was bad enough but this is worse.

Last edited:
I think I'll give it a shot. It's been on my radar for a while and is the only main zelda game I have never played. I'll never forget the botched e3 live gameplay demo.
Just keep in mind you'll need to be extremely patient with playing the game, because it will definitely test it. It is overly tutorialized, rigid, and has horrid pacing. It is the Anti-BotW in multiple ways.

Just keep in mind you'll need to be extremely patient with playing the game, because it will definitely test it. It is overly tutorialized, rigid, and has horrid pacing. It is the Anti-BotW in multiple ways.

oh dont worry. i spent over 100 hours on death stranding, so i think im good when it comes to patience. anyway, didnt they fix some of these issues on the switch version?

oh dont worry. i spent over 100 hours on death stranding, so i think im good when it comes to patience. anyway, didnt they fix some of these issues on the switch version?
Ya some of the tutorials can be skipped and you can scroll through text way faster if you're just trying to get through boring NPC talk. There's quite a few little improvements that help the game progress smoother.
Link Between Worlds is good enough to beat Link to the Past?

Never played that one. Dual screen Zeldas bored me out on DS so i skipped that as well.
It's good, but I like LttP better. The problem with Link between worlds is due to its open nature (you can go to the dungeons in any order) the dungeons can't really build puzzles with more than a couple items and your wall merge technique. It turns most puzzles into, "ok what do I use this dungeons item for in this room? oh ok, now I do the merge thing too"

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ya some of the tutorials can be skipped and you can scroll through text way faster if you're just trying to get through boring NPC talk. There's quite a few little improvements that help the game progress smoother.

It's good, but I like LttP better. The problem with Link between worlds is due to its open nature (you can go to the dungeons in any order) the dungeons can't really build puzzles with more than a couple items and your wall merge technique. It turns most puzzles into, "ok what do I use this dungeons item for in this room? oh ok, now I do the merge thing too"

LInk Between was a fine, even great game. But its not touching LttP.

Top Bottom