• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This gets settled today: hard or soft tacos?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Go_Ly_Dow

3pExHXR.jpg

Soft shell tacos charred on the stove, chicken and chorizo sizzled in a potent spice mix.
Garnish: lime, jalapenos, coriander, lettuce, avacado, fresh onion and a bit of hot sauce.

Dutchy

It's actually genetic. Aldehyde, the chemical in coriander leaves or cilantro will taste heavily like soap to people with well....shit genetics. But it's not their fault. It truly does taste like arse to them.
can confirm. I love food and I don't think there's a single dish or even ingredient that I truly dislike.

But cilantro .. yup .. it's borderline inedible. Very chemical/soapy. The moment it touches my pallette, my brain starts firing warning signals. Like I'm eating something that I'm not supposed to. It's a bummer cause I really wonder what It tastes like to other people.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
can confirm. I love food and I don't think there's a single dish or even ingredient that I truly dislike.

But cilantro .. yup .. it's borderline inedible. Very chemical/soapy. The moment it touches my pallette, my brain starts firing warning signals. Like I'm eating something that I'm not supposed to. It's a bummer cause I really wonder what It tastes like to other people.
You know parsley? I'd describe that as a very green, fresh taste that's kind of woodsy and foresty if that can conjure up an image. Cilantro is just as fresh and green but with more of citrus bite and kind of a light sweetness. Hope that helps.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I was clowning back a few posts. I love both. I turn my QuesoBirria Tacos into "hard shells" while cooking them in the consommé fat that I skim from the top, after finishing off and leaving it in the fridge for 12+ hours. Then, the actual consommé is heated, served with fresh onion cilantro and sliced limes y limons. DIP, smash a lime in there with all that meaty, cheesey, spicy, smokey, earthy goodness. OH MY GAWD!

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I was clowning back a few posts. I love both. I turn my QuesoBirria Tacos into "hard shells" while cooking them in the consommé fat that I skim from the top, after finishing off and leaving it in the fridge for 12+ hours. Then, the actual consommé is heated, served with fresh onion cilantro and sliced limes y limons. DIP, smash a lime in there with all that meaty, cheesey, spicy, smokey, earthy goodness. OH MY GAWD!
This man not only fucks, he knows his tacos, too!

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Sorry guy, but Tex Mex is superior to "authentic" Mexican food in every measurable way
Ok I know you're trolling but what exactly makes it superior is it the grated yellow cheese, sour cream or diced tomatoes? 🤣 Name me a Tex Mex dish better than Tacos Al Pastor, Birria or Cochinita Pibil
U7Bjp2U.jpg
wDOa62I.jpg

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Bro hook me up with a good birria recipe, I’m aiming to make another batch soon and I am east asia tan, not south of the border tan. I need the real shit, I have no idea if Allrecipes knows what they’re doing.
Sorry to disappoint. I'm not much of a cook luckily I live in one of the best food cities in the states which is Houston. I can find pretty much authentic anything here.

This one seems pretty good except authentic Birria is made with lamb https://www.isabeleats.com/authentic-birria/

simpatico

Eating authentic Mexican food and adding yellow cheese doesn't make it Tex Mex. I'm still waiting for you to list your "superior" Tex Mex dishes
Take the ingredients of a taco supreme, but make them better. Let's go shredded beef, fried in the shell, spread open with some chihuaua cheese, nice homemade hot sauce, sour cream and pico. No lettuce though. Lettuce only belongs on salads. I'll also go for a quality steak quesadilla and/or fajitas.

Top Bottom