• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This gets settled today: hard or soft tacos?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chromhound

6qI5rwH.jpg

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I’m not Mexican so I have 0 authority in this BUT, soft tacos might as well be a pita bread sandwich, hard shell tacos are unique, nothing like it and I enjoy the crunch and trying not to spill their contents.

Laieon

This was settled decades ago in a TV commercial.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Edit: And I mean both

baked-double-decker-tacos-1.jpg

When I make tacos at home this is seriously how I prefer to make them.

When I buy tacos from a sketchy looking truck in front of a gas station (Houstonian here, best places in town), that's another story.

GeekyDad

Science dictates that it's SOFT tacos. Why? Because the shit don't fall out everywhere after just one bite.

Marvel14

Banned
There are European dishes. There are Asian dishes. There are Polynesian dishes. There are African dishes.

So yeah, tacos can be American dishes. Suck it.
Two points:

1. When someone uses the term American it never means the continent. You need to add North or South otherwise everyone thinks USA.

2. Americans have their own take on Mexican food just like the Brits have on Indian food. It's valid in its own right as a cuisine but it ain't the real thing. Chicken tikka masala you won't find in India and Indians would consider it a tad bland/ inauthentic.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Soft. It's not even fucking close. It's so far, you might as well be from one end of the observable universe to the opposite end.
We've already been through this. Get Cooked, like the Fucking Carne Asada that you are! Undale!

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Let me clear something up. Tacos are soft by default and they are made of corn. So all of you comparing them to gyros, flat bread etc can GTFO. Now if you're referring to flour tortilla tacos which are typically eaten in northern Mexico or in the USA as breakfast tacos carry on.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Legit.

My Latino coworker took us to one of his fav true Mexican places. And the tacos look like that. Double soft shelled, shells arent giant, fillings are mostly meat and just like your pic some cilantro and onions. I forget what the sauces were but totally different than fast food chains. Jarritos pop too.

Not cheap, but 10x better than all the mainstream tex-mex and taco bell crap.

He laughed at all the junky burritos, cheese, and whatever other toppings normally served at fake Mexican places.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Legit.

My Latino coworker took us to one of his fav true Mexican places. And the tacos look like that. Double soft shelled, shells arent giant, fillings are mostly meat and just like your pic some cilantro and onions. I forget what the sauces were but totally different than fast food chains. Jarritos pop too.

Not cheap, but 10x better than all the mainstream tex-mex and taco bell crap.

He laughed at all the junky burritos, cheese, and whatever other toppings normally served at fake Mexican places.
I'm glad you enjoyed some authentic tacos. Just one thing they're not shells they're tortillas

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm glad you enjoyed some authentic tacos. Just one thing they're not shells they're tortillas
Haha. Sounds good.

Another thing about these authentic tacos (for those of you who never had them), looks are deceiving. When you see them on a platter (our coworker ordered a giant platter of different kinds), it looks like you'll be able to smash down half the platter. So untrue. After 3 of these, all of us were pretty full. Very filling

One funny thing. Since none of us except our coworker knew about real Mexican food, he ordered for us. Then he's like there's also Tostadas (I think). It sounded good, so he ordered it.

All of us were waiting for it to come with the tacos. The tostada arrives and he only ordered one serving for himself. wtf? lol

diffusionx

Gold Member
at a restaurant, soft tacos. when I make them at home, hard tacos. this is my final answer.

Last edited:

Alebrije

There is not such a thing called Hard tacos..there are just Tacos.

What some people call hard tacos are just DOBLADAS

dobladas-de-carne-foto-principal.webp

A Doblada is basically a fried bended tortilla with meat and other ingredients , some even add cream and cheese ...

All tacos are made from
soft tortillas...

Last edited:
Top Bottom