• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Story, how Microsoft Squandered Their Reputation Overnight.

bj00rn_

Banned
Which industry exactly is that, that tells you that you need a freaking spy 3d scanner and voice recognition to be always connected to the console, always connected (yeah, once per day?) to their private network, and that you have no control over it?

Even if sony goes the same way in drm, only by not enfocing a scanner on your face they have a much better system in my opinion.

Let alone everything else.

What the hell..?

p3tran

Banned
I didn't ask to tell me what to do dude. If you dont like reading opinions, why you on a forum?

Of course the world will keep turning, thats the only given

People are purposefully changing that context of that quote to spread FUD.

Microsoft has repeatedly said that used games WILL be able to played on the Xbox One. You can take your game to a friends house and then just login with your account, and play the game for free. As for selling the game, they will have a online marketplace to buy/sell used games AND they will work with their retailer to transfer licenses, so if you buy a used game from a store than you won't have to pay a fee once you put that disc in your system.

Anyone implying that you will pay gamestop for a used game AND then pay a fee at home to Microsoft is spreading FUD, plain and simple.

Which industry exactly is that, that tells you that you need a freaking spy 3d scanner and voice recognition to be always connected to the console, always connected (yeah, once per day?) to their private network, and that you have no control over it?

Even if sony goes the same way in drm, only by not enfocing a scanner on your face they have a much better system in my opinion.

Let alone everything else.
I didn't ask to tell me what to do dude. If you dont like reading opinions, why you on a forum?

Of course the world will keep turning, thats the only given
No one's telling you what to do dude. But everyone has the right to point and laugh at you for being a paranoid freak just because Kinect is in an always on state to be able to work instantly.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Haters will always be haters.

The original Xbox was TERRIBLY received. Microsoft supposedly doesn't know shit about gaming. "Stick to making PCs" was the typical insult there.

The 360 was mocked to hell and back for being Xbox 1.5 (just like the One is being mocked for being inferior now). The 360 was going to suffer the fate of the Dreamcast. The PS3 was twice as powerful in Gigaflops, and was going to trounce the 360.

And now the One supposedly doesn't allow used games (it does), is always online (it isn't, only requires internet once every 24 hours, and they'll likely find a solution for if you don't have one), Kinect is shit and doesn't work (almost every demonstration has proven that there is almost no lag, up to 6 people can be tracked, works perfectly in the dark, and has an extremely wide FOV for use in any type of room) and Microsoft doesn't care about games (MS is making more games now than ever, 15 exclusives being developed for the first 12 months, 8 being original IPs).

The haters will hate. But this is a company that is offering more than ever before. You may still be disappointed by their game offerings (I wanted a new PGR instead of Forza), but at least wait 2 damn weeks to see the other dozen exclusive games they'll be showing off.

This will be a whole different ball game once Sony reveals how big their console will be too and how EXACTLY the used game situation will be on their console as well. When all the hardware AND software is revealed about the PS4 and Xbox One...then we can talk. July 10th and 11th are going to be magnificent.

"Haters".

They delivered some absolutely dire, anti-consumer, anti-gamer messaging and you call it the work of "haters".

The only way I could call this reaction the work of haters is if I had some fanboy roadmap in my mind of Microsoft's predetermined success. "Oh they'll learn eventually, those haters!"

What we have seen of Xbox One is bad. Perhaps there is more to the story that is good. Perhaps even if the bad messaging is 100% accurate to the final product, it will sell anyway.

But to dismiss this current reaction as the work of "haters", I really do think your head is in the sand.

Zissou

What's it to you how other people spend their money? People are beginning to sound like recruitment officers. Get a grip.

Of course people can spend their money how they like. It's just annoying that xbone fans don't even understand why people are having a negative reaction. The games are neither here nor there when it comes to what most people are complaining about.

BocoDragon

People are purposefully changing that context of that quote to spread FUD.

Microsoft has repeatedly said that used games WILL be able to played on the Xbox One. You can take your game to a friends house and then just login with your account, and play the game for free. As for selling the game, they will have a online marketplace to buy/sell used games AND they will work with their retailer to transfer licenses, so if you buy a used game from a store than you won't have to pay a fee once you put that disc in your system.

Anyone implying that you will pay gamestop for a used game AND then pay a fee at home to Microsoft is spreading FUD, plain and simple.

Really? because the entire internet seems to be under that impression (or rather, that Gamestop selling used games would be useless in such a case). Could you clear it up for us with a simple link?

Well thank you, appreciated

Sorry, don't take it personally, but the whole KINECT IS SPYING! thing is a little OTT.

Of course people can spend their money how they like. It's just annoying that xbone fans don't even understand why people are having a negative reaction. The games are neither here nor there when it comes to what most people are complaining about.

I think most people understand why there is a negative reaction, but any kind of conversation about it over the past 48 hours has been a farce.

I didn't address the post proper because, quite frankly, it's stupid.
Pretty much. Anyone who think Microsoft is actually listening or watching you through Kinect is just....ugh..
"Haters".

They delivered some absolutely dire, anti-consumer, anti-gamer messaging and you call it the work of "haters".

.... to dismiss this current reaction as the work of "haters", I really do think your head is in the sand.
I think message boards warriors have a way to spinning things VERY quickly, and then propagating their fiction and paranoia as a matter of fact. Literally dozens of times Microsoft said that they will have used games, and that they'll explain the details of how exactly to transfer licenses, yet certain sect of people are still pushing the "no used games" BS.

I will also guarantee that the Microsoft will have a workaround for the 24 hours online requirement. I.e, if you lose your connection for more than 24 hours then you can still play offline if you put the original disc in the tray.

The Kinect hate is also just more FUD being spread around when Microsoft has clearly demonstrated that the limitations of the original Kinect have been removed. Kinect isn't some spy software, it's a part of the system that will be fully integrated and is a huge step forward. It's the difference between Virtual Boy and Occulus Rift. People can hate on it, but anyone whose seen it, understands exactly how big of a step forward it is.
Really? because the entire internet seems to be under that impression (or rather, that Gamestop selling used games would be useless in such a case). Could you clear it up for us with a simple link?
And shit like that is exactly why the "entire internet" is wrong right now and that's the fault of a overzealous people (and Phil Harrison for being coaxed into replying to that hypothetical situation) who are purposely ignoring things that Microsoft has stated dozens of times in the past 48 hours.

RE: "We designed the system to work with used game and we will provide exact details of that shortly".
Read the thread dedicated to that topic here on Neogaf. Pretty much anyone who's stopped for even one second to think about it understands that there will be a license transfer process.

herod

It's quite amusing in hindsight that Microsoft poured billions into gaining a foothold under the TV to get 'into the living room' only for Apple to make billions and gain a much bigger footprint by sidestepping the TV almost altogether. Solution-centred thinking.

I think MS massively underestimated the stubbornness and longevity of the broadcasters. They almost treat gamers like a necessary evil, first attempting to ruin and then abandoning GFWL, now pushing Kinect at all core gaming events despite it being clearly unpopular with the majority of core gamers.

p3tran

Banned
Sorry, don't take it personally

Did I say that "everyone who doesn't get the kinect use in ads is stupid"? I dont think I did.
Did I say that everyone who gets spoonfed on a company's marketing words for facts is stupid? I dont think so.

You want to say that I am stupid? Go ahead if it makes you feel better. My opinion is what it is, not easy to change it, especially by calling it stupid or whatever

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
All Microsoft has to do is explain how users can still trade in games at Gamestop and transfer the license over for a used game and that if a person doesn't have an internet connection in a 24 hour period, then they can still game offline as long as they have the original disc in the tray.

BOOM. Literally all of the "Always Online, Online Required, No Used Games" Bullshit goes away.

They won't do that since they'd be lying.

BocoDragon

I think message boards warriors have a way to spinning things VERY quickly, and then propagating their fiction and paranoia as a matter of fact.

Yes, that is a trait of the web, I agree.

Literally dozens of times Microsoft said that they will have used games, and that they'll explain the details of how exactly to transfer licenses, yet certain sect of people are still pushing the "no used games" BS.

RE: "We designed the system to work with used game and we will provide exact details of that shortly".
Read the thread dedicated to that topic here on Neogaf. Pretty much anyone who's stopped for even one second to think about it understands that there will be a license transfer process.

I have no idea why you are using terms like BS and FUD when people are not being disingenuous. This "license transfer" process should be shouted from the rooftops by Microsoft. They have no one to blame but themselves for people not knowing about it.

I did hear about "license transfer" in the one tiny quote from MS, and I assumed that was a way to resell games digitally. I still thought the leftover disc was useless for others. The point is, I don't know how it is supposed to work, I don't think you do either. Even if things turn out to be hunky dory in the end (I can transfer the license when I turn a physical disc into gamestop?), the negative reaction to this is entirely on Microsoft's shoulders, not "haters".

All Microsoft has to do is explain how users can still trade in games at Gamestop and transfer the license over for a used game and that if a person doesn't have an internet connection in a 24 hour period, then they can still game offline as long as they have the original disc in the tray.

BOOM. Literally all of the "Always Online, Online Required, No Used Games" Bullshit goes away.

You know what? You're right, that would be nice. I would go, whoops, jumped the gun, it's actually fine. So why don't they fucking say that? Or is it because Kinect has to be on at all times to look at what clothes Im wearing and products Im using and listen to me talk so that it can datamine me and throw targeted ads at me?

BocoDragon

You know what? You're right, that would be nice. I would go, whoops, jumped the gun, it's actually fine. So why don't they fucking say that? Or is it because Kinect has to be on at all times to look at what clothes Im wearing and products Im using and listen to me talk so that it can datamine me and throw targeted ads at me?

Emphasis on the bolded!

In fact, because they didn't say it (a PR no-brainer when you are introducing a license scheme) I am inclined to believe it does not work like that....

strata8

Hilarious that people think this will actually happen. Microsoft got in deep shit when someone noticed Windows Phone was accidentally sending location data. Do you really think they'd be able to get away with uploading your conversations and data about your clothing?

BocoDragon

Hilarious that people think this will actually happen. Microsoft got in deep shit when someone noticed Windows Phone was accidentally sending location data. Do you really think they'd be able to get away with uploading your conversations and data about your clothing?

I don't know about clothing.

How many people are typically in the room, that kind of thing... that's a no-brainer to datamine.

It's not 1984. But it is like what Facebook and Google already does... with a really good datamining webcam.

Microsoft Kinect Patent Hints at Emotion-Based Ads

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405678,00.asp

Microsoft’s new Kinect patent goes Big Brother, will spy on you for the MPAA

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Kinect Makes Ads More Interactive

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/06/15/kinect-makes-ads-more-interactive/

"The commercials, dubbed NUads, look to be a combination of a gimmick to get viewers to pay closer attention and a way to further test how well the motion recognition on Kinect works and can be integrated into non-gaming situations.

Samsung Mobile, Toyota, and Unilever have already signed up to use the technology in ads. It seems the main set-up will be to get users to answer a question or “cast a vote” either by waving in a certain way or speaking. If it works as planned, the commercial will display live details of the overall votes among viewers."

It's already hidden in the privacy statements that Microsoft is not responsible for the uses of your data by their "branded partners." People worried about these things aren't fucking making this shit up, it's all right there. The kinect demos showed after the event all had emotion reading as well as engagement levels being tracked on everyone in the room.

p3tran

Banned
To those guys that believe that microsoft has pushed kinect damn hard on consumers, I got one thing to say:

Try to imagine how kinect is pitched to the advertizers.

Did I say that "everyone who doesn't get the kinect use in ads is stupid"? I dont think I did.
Did I say that everyone who gets spoonfed on a company's marketing words for facts is stupid? I dont think so.

You want to say that I am stupid? Go ahead if it makes you feel better. My opinion is what it is, not easy to change it, especially by calling it stupid or whatever

No, not at all and that isn't what I said. I said the post was stupid and then apologised in case you got the wrong impression. I don't think you're stupid, but claiming that the kinect is some glorified form of spying on people is beyond the pale.

BocoDragon

No, it isn't. Facebook does not use a webcam on your laptop or otherwise to watch you/datamine. Period.

Microsoft won't either.

You don't understand... As part of Kinect's normal functioning it will collect data. How many people are in the room. How often you play. How tall the average users are. That kind of thing.

It isn't that they're going to be watching/listening to you like a spy. It's that - like Facebook and Google - they will collect data as a normal part of getting the service to work, and that data will end up being valuable in the aggregate.

As someone who has worked with digital marketing before: This is a no brainer.

You have to go out of your way to flush that data, and no one is going to do that. Especially not on an always-on console. They're gonna collect it for internal purposes of ad targeting and software development, and perhaps they will sell it.

It also doesn't alarm me. I am not one of those people.

MormaPope

Banned
Just realized something.

The amount of purposeful and accidental nude skype calls will be amazing. You thought Uno online was bad for people flashing dicks and balls? Imagine getting a call in the middle of Halo 5 and some dude is stretching his asshole in front of you.

Uno on Xbox One might change my mind.

Durante

As a "high-end" PC gamer to me the speed difference between the two new consoles is marginal, so it would make more sense to me to buy a XbO (if I had to choose only one, which I don't have to) because it seems to offer more functionality no?
I really don't follow that point. I'm mainly a PC gamer as well, and all consoles are for me are hardware DRM boxes -- as such, their worth entirely derives from their exclusives ("real" exclusives, not "console exclusives"). What that means depends on your tastes of course.

But "functionality" doesn't really enter into it, my PC can do all of that and more. Particularly not when that functionality is tied up in a service with a monthly fee.

Built on NT Technology

nttech.png

I dont get what you want to say with that image?
xbox and 360 os were bad?

No, it isn't. Facebook does not use a webcam on your laptop or otherwise to watch you/datamine. Period.

Microsoft won't either.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ve...od-determines-if-viewers-are-laugh/2012-11-30

For years, technology executives have discussed the possibility of using devices such as Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) Xbox 360 Kinect cameras to target advertising and programming to viewers, taking advantage of the ability to determine whether an adult or child is viewing a program.

Similar to the way Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) targets ads to Gmail users based on the content of their emails, Verizon proposes scanning conversations of viewers that are within a "detection zone" near their TV, including telephone conversations.

According to a June 7 patent application, the company that built the Xbox 360 Kinect sensor is looking to target advertisements based on your emotions.

Conventionally, a user enters a search query in a Web browser, and advertisers may bid on the request in order to advertise accordingly, the patent said. Some advertisers may choose to target delivery based on gender, time of day, or location. But the typical ad may have difficulty representing its product because keywords fail to completely convey a user's context, Microsoft said in its patent.

Through the Kinect's camera, users would be studied for reactions, speech patterns, and body movements, all stored in an online log and run through an algorithm to determine an emotional state that is positive, happy, confused, neutral, negative, angry, or sad, according to the patent. Ad targeting will also take into consideration the user's ZIP code, keywords, age, location, or language.

"An advertisement engine selects advertisements that are emotionally compatible based on the assigned emotional states and the desired emotional states provided by the advertisers," the patent said.

strata8

Microsoft Kinect Patent Hints at Emotion-Based Ads

Microsoft’s new Kinect patent goes Big Brother, will spy on you for the MPAA

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Kinect Makes Ads More Interactive

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/06/15/kinect-makes-ads-more-interactive/

"The commercials, dubbed NUads, look to be a combination of a gimmick to get viewers to pay closer attention and a way to further test how well the motion recognition on Kinect works and can be integrated into non-gaming situations.

Samsung Mobile, Toyota, and Unilever have already signed up to use the technology in ads. It seems the main set-up will be to get users to answer a question or “cast a vote” either by waving in a certain way or speaking. If it works as planned, the commercial will display live details of the overall votes among viewers."

It's already hidden in the privacy statements that Microsoft is not responsible for the uses of your data by their "branded partners." People worried about these things aren't fucking making this shit up, it's all right there. The kinect demos showed after the event all had emotion reading as well as engagement levels being tracked on everyone in the room.

A bunch of patents aren't really convincing. Do you have an example of Microsoft using similar data mining now, through the Kinect camera or others?

Ominym

Banned
You don't understand... As part of Kinect's normal functioning it will collect data. How many people are in the room. How often you play. How tall the average users are. That kind of thing.

It isn't that they're going to be watching/listening to you like a spy. It's that - like Facebook and Google - they will collect data as a normal part of getting the service to work, and that data will end up being valuable in the aggregate.

As someone who has worked with digital marketing before: This is a no brainer.

You have to go out of your way to flush that data, and no one is going to do that. Especially not on an always-on console.

It also doesn't alarm me. I am not one of those people.
I do understand. I was correcting you by saying that Facebook doesn't use a camera to watch you so it should not be stated that it is similar to the Kinect.

All we really know so far, is information on patents. This is by no means a reality. These patented ideas could potentially not ever see the light of day as far as we know. Case and point, Apple patents a great deal many things it hasn't capitalized on.

Also, cameras change a lot of legal issues here, so I don't think that it's a "no-brainer" as you say.

A bunch of patents aren't really convincing. Do you have an example of Microsoft using similar data mining now, through the Kinect camera or others?

I have to prove MS is guilty of crimes to be nervous about them committing them in the future now? They have the ability, the resources, and they are desperate to have a camera watching and listening to me at all times. There's a reason the topic that this would fall under is called "privacy concerns"

strata8

I have to prove MS is guilty of crimes to be nervous about them committing them in the future now? They have the ability, the resources, and they are desperate to have a camera watching and listening to me at all times. There's a reason the topic that this would fall under is called "privacy concerns"

I already have a precedent. Where's yours?

Customer_Experience_Improvement_Program_Settings.png

microsoft-free-anti-virus-security-essentials-customer-experience-improvement-program.jpg

I already have a precedent. Where's yours?

Thats Windows. Is there a kinect equivalent? For the existing Kinect? And will there be one for this one? Maybe I am crazy, indeed, but I think many of you are downplaying to a weird degree the fact that a huge corporation wants desperately to have a camera staring at you at all times and listening to you at all times.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

A MS marketing exec even stated outright that they can do this with the 360 Kinect already.

Ominym

Banned

Innocent until proven guilty?

Look, I don't want any of this anymore than you do. But patents are not guarantees. I really don't think Microsoft, one of the world's most well off companies, is that desperate for ad revenue that they'd risk a sea of legal battles.

strata8

Thats Windows. Is there a kinect equivalent? For the existing Kinect? And will there be one for this one? Maybe I am crazy, indeed, but I think many of you are downplaying to a weird degree the fact that a huge corporation wants desperately to have a camera staring at you at all times and listening to you at all times.

I'm not trying to downplay it. I'm just acting under the assumption that Microsoft is upfront about privacy issues and no one has really given me anything that shows otherwise.

Innocent until proven guilty?

Look, I don't want any of this anymore than you do. But patents are not guarantees. I really don't think Microsoft, one of the worlds most well off companies, is that desperate for ad revenue that they'd risk a sea of legal battles.

That's in court. This is them trying to sell me a product. Crack open the guts and make it overwhelmingly clear how the Kinect and the Ads work for the system, make it transparent so they can be taken to court if any funny business allows.

Emphasis on the bolded!

In fact, because they didn't say it (a PR no-brainer when you are introducing a license scheme) I am inclined to believe it does not work like that....
Because they have to get the logistics right in literally dozens of countries around the world, and make sure that their server verification process works without a hitch, and finalize any talks they may be having with retailers at the moment.

Its not as simple as that. They said they will share the exact details in due time. How about we freak out AFTER those details have come. In the same fashion that Sony has not explained their used game strategy AT ALL either. And yet, no one is holding their feet to the fire. Microsoft's faults was in saying anything at all...which was a misstep by Phil Harrison until they could provide the full picture. People latched on to one sentence in one vague example and they've just been running with it.

thuway

I'm pretty sure most people on these forums already hated Microsoft before the Xbone event. All of this is just more of the same.

That is not how it goes. There are so many loyal Xbox fans that have grown frustrated at this ever increasing pro-casual rhetoric. Cyberheater, REMEMBER CITADEL, and even GhaleonEB to name a few.

BocoDragon

I do understand. I was correcting you by saying that Facebook doesn't use a camera to watch you so it should not be stated that it is similar to the Kinect.

That wasn't my intention of comparing to Facebook at all. Of course it isn't watching you through webcam. The point is that it is collecting untold data about what people like, who they socialize with, and even what websites they visit (even if you are not logged in! Check out DoNotTrackMe extension and see how they normally track you all over the web:p). It didn't need to go out of its way to collect this data at all. There is a reason why Facebook was partially funded by the CIA-front corporation In-Q-Tel. The data they have amassed on the human race is insane.

And so Facebook is the prime metaphor for a service that, intentional or not, amasses a wealth of user data that is greatly useful for marketing (and intelligence) reasons.

An always-on Kinect is exactly the same. Without even trying, it would amass personal data about the goings on in your room. It's probably data that is only useful in the aggregate (ie "what percentage of gamers are 5"11'?")... but that's marketing. And you never know. If the government wants to know about a certain household, it's not implausible they'd inquire to Microsoft for information about the bodies that have sat in front of the TV. I'm not a terrorist either, but just saying. This is a real possibility, at least technically.

Ominym

Banned
That's in court. This is them trying to sell me a product. Crack open the guts and make it overwhelmingly clear how the Kinect and the Ads work for the system, make it transparent so they can be taken to court if any funny business allows.

No kidding. I'm saying it's unfair of you to damn a product for something that hasn't been done yet and may never be done. Don't buy one for the myriad of other, factually based reasons. Not something you think might happen.

Because they have to get the logistics right in literally dozens of countries around the world, and make sure that their server verification process works without a hitch, and finalize any talks they may be having with retailers at the moment.

Its not as simple as that. They said they will share the exact details in due time. How about we freak out AFTER those details have come. In the same fashion that Sony has not explained their used game strategy AT ALL either. And yet, no one is holding their feet to the fire. Microsoft's faults was in saying anything at all...which was a misstep by Phil Harrison until they could provide the full picture. People latched on to one sentence in one vague example and they've just been running with it.

Making our voices heard now is the only chance at anything being changed whatsoever prior to launch, as slim as that possibility is. The idea that everyone should play it cool because it'll probably be fine is fucking bullshit. If it talks like a duck and walks like a duck, and you fucking hate ducks, then go for it. It's up to them to pull the curtain back and go "No wait! It was a goose!". If they can't do that when asked, then until they do so they deserve to be shat upon for announcing the thing in the first place without said details.

BocoDragon

Well, if you are right, then I will cool it with criticism. I hope there is more to the story.

But if this negative view of the console is accurate as depicted by those spreading "BS/FUD" then I think we all have a right to be "haters", dig?

Top Bottom