• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Story, how Microsoft Squandered Their Reputation Overnight.

bj00rn_

Banned
I really don't follow that point.

My most important point was to ask the simple question: What can a 360 and a PS4 do that a Xbox One can't?

And I also assumed that if XbO can do everything and more, then it would make sense to buy the one with the most functionality. Personal preference in exclusive games is the next step, yes, but I tried to look at it from a bigger picture perspective.

Well, if you are right, then I will cool it with criticism. I hope there is more to the story.

But if this negative view of the console is accurate as depicted by those spreading "BS/FUD" then I think we all have a right to be "haters", dig?
Got'chya. Quite Understandable.
Making our voices heard now is the only chance at anything being changed whatsoever prior to launch, as slim as that possibility is. The idea that everyone should play it cool because it'll probably be fine is fucking bullshit. If it talks like a duck and walks like a duck, and you fucking hate ducks, then go for it. It's up to them to pull the curtain back and go "No wait! It was a goose!". If they can't do that when asked, then until they do so they deserve to be shat upon for announcing the thing in the first place without said details.
I can appreciate that thought process as well. It's just that it's really hard to have any legitimate discussions with anyone lately when all the focus is on unconfirmed shit that is highly unlikely to be true anyway. This place is a cesspool, and will remain so at least until E3.

Indie devs cannot self publish
XBLA software does not carryover
No B/C
Have to use Kinect instead of a Headset(!?)

Hype train derailed. No survivors.

Got'chya. Quite Understandable.

I can appreciate that thought process as well. It's just that it's really hard to have any legitimate discussions with anyone lately when all the focus is on unconfirmed shit that is highly unlikely to be true anyway. This place is a cesspool, and will remain so at least until E3.

If they're not sure about their online verification, account system and used game plans now, what makes you think they'll know in 3 weeks? They can show me all the pretty games they want but I don't fucking care until they've proved that they won't treat me like a thief. E3 is by no means an end to what you consider a cesspool.

Indie devs cannot self publish
XBLA software does not carryover
No B/C
Have to use Kinect instead of a Headset(!?)

Hype train derailed. No survivors.

Don't know where you got that from, Robbie Bach says otherwise.

He also said that they will talk more about the headset at E3, but I don't think they're going to be packed in.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't recall MS having much of a good reputation among gamers* even before they announced the Xbone, so I'm not sure how they've squandered it.

Before the 360 and E3 06 it was outright hostility (Xbox 1.5, 'I'm buying PSWii'), which turned to begrudged acceptance when it became obvious how much better a deal than the PS3 it was until about 08-09. I think most people couldn't wait to shrug off their feigned acceptance of 360 once the situation improved on PS3. The past three months there hasn't been a non-rumour related Xbox thread that wasn't a thinly-veiled troll thread ('will YOU still buy Durango after perceived MS slight XYZ?', 'how do YOU feel about heinous MS business practice XYZ?').

So while I do think MS fucked it spectacularly by showing exactly the things that its detractors were hoping they would show, I don't buy that they squandered much by doing it.

I'm pretty sure most people on these forums already hated Microsoft before the Xbone event. All of this is just more of the same.

I owned both the Xbox and Xbox 360 from launch, even attended the Zero Hour launch event for the 360. I've had my Xbox Live account since the very day the service came out. I will not be touching this Xbox One with a 50 foot fucking pole, at least in the launch window anyways.

Recall

What is going to happen if Microsofts verification servers go down? Or it can't cope at launch? What happens if its Microsofts connection is poor and not my own?

So many hurdles just to play a game. Simply putting a disc or cartridge into a console and instantly playing was awesome back in the day, now with so many factors to hinder it, it just sours me on gaming as a hobby.

Jack_AG

Banned
A little premature.
Yes. Voice displeasure of Microsoft's handling used titles and online DRM... AFTER the system has been out for at least one year and policies cemented in history. Surely this is the best approach for change, right? When its too late?

No. Do it now BEFORE the box is launched and hope MS hears the backlash, ffs.

Jac_Solar

Then don't buy it. The rest of the world will continue to turn.

What's it to you how other people spend their money? People are beginning to sound like recruitment officers. Get a grip.

The console is marketed at gamers -- of course they will, and have a right to complain.

Because they have to get the logistics right in literally dozens of countries around the world, and make sure that their server verification process works without a hitch, and finalize any talks they may be having with retailers at the moment.

Its not as simple as that. They said they will share the exact details in due time. How about we freak out AFTER those details have come. In the same fashion that Sony has not explained their used game strategy AT ALL either. And yet, no one is holding their feet to the fire. Microsoft's faults was in saying anything at all...which was a misstep by Phil Harrison until they could provide the full picture. People latched on to one sentence in one vague example and they've just been running with it.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Yes. Voice displeasure of Microsoft's handling used titles and online DRM... AFTER the system has been out for at least one year and policies cemented in history. Surely this is the best approach for change, right? When its too late?

No. Do it now BEFORE the box is launched and hope MS hears the backlash, ffs.

Indeed. I don't know why people keep saying it's premature.

Biker19

Banned
Because they have to get the logistics right in literally dozens of countries around the world, and make sure that their server verification process works without a hitch, and finalize any talks they may be having with retailers at the moment.

Its not as simple as that. They said they will share the exact details in due time. How about we freak out AFTER those details have come. In the same fashion that Sony has not explained their used game strategy AT ALL either. And yet, no one is holding their feet to the fire. Microsoft's faults was in saying anything at all...which was a misstep by Phil Harrison until they could provide the full picture. People latched on to one sentence in one vague example and they've just been running with it.

You really think that Sony's dumb enough to try to do something like blocking used games after they did everything in their power to get the PS brand name back on it's feet with PS3?

I have a hard time believing so.

oti

Banned
Maybe someone should start a new thread for this:

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120278904%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904

Remember this old patent by Microsoft? Big German Website SPIEGEL dug it out. Sounds crazy and scary. I can't even imagine Micrososft going that far. What do you think?

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/games/xbox-one-microsoft-patentiert-wohnzimmer-ueberwachung-a-901413.html

The only good things to come out of yesterday's revealing were the nicknames: "Xbone" and "Batsuichi".
aYqI8pB.png

-15 exclusive titles in year 1 (8 original IPs)
-UI features you can use while playing a game (i.e. snap to side bar: skype calls, sports scores, social media feeds)(I think the mistake with this was showing these features running with TV instead of games)
-a highly accurate kinect that seems pretty cool according to the wired youtube video
-internal power supply so no power brick(tiny win)
-Forza 5, COD: Ghosts (dynamic MP environments have me interested(especially if destructible)), new game from remedy
-improved d-pad on the controller

I'm not defending the conference. I thought it was horrible. I thought the information was given in a very strange and disconnected way, but I thought there were some good points that you could take away from it.

Clarifications:
-I'm not worried about the always online bit, because I have internet and I'm not worried about the person without internet.
-The used game thing sucks but I think is inevitable before long.
-I knew it was a long shot but I was hoping for a boost in specs even though I don't think we will see a large gap in the games.

Maybe someone should start a new thread for this:

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120278904%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904

Remember this old patent by Microsoft? Big German Website SPIEGEL dug it out. Sounds crazy and scary. I can't even imagine Micrososft going that far. What do you think?

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/games/xbox-one-microsoft-patentiert-wohnzimmer-ueberwachung-a-901413.html

Whether they're insane enough, who knows? But the upside is that the entertainment (distribution) industry would obliterate itself if they were to take their own Quixotic delusions seriously.

Clockwork5

All I can say is some of you should start buying crow in bulk. You may need it with these sales and market share predictions.

Gaf is and always will be an outlier in the console gaming community.

Clockwork5

You really think that Sony's dumb enough to try to do something like blocking used games after they did everything in their power to get the PS brand name back on it's feet with PS3?

I have a hard time believing so.

If it is not a Sony game it is not Sony's decision. It seems that pressure is coming from the publishers (the company that owns the license, therefore the used game), the hardware manufacturer has little say. MS simply worked it in to the system instead of each publisher having their own authorization process.

If it is not a Sony game it is not Sony's decision. It seems that pressure is coming from the publishers (the company that owns the license, therefore the used game), the hardware manufacturer has little say. MS simply worked it in to the system instead of each publisher having their own authorization process.

It is certainly Sony's decision to make, as all of those games have to pass their certification process. Whether they bend over and take it from the publishers remains to be seen.

Biker19

Banned
It is certainly Sony's decision to make, as all of those games have to pass their certification process. Whether they bend over and take it from the publishers remains to be seen.

They're going to have to develop their games on PS4 anyway; they can't afford to have most of their games "Xbox One exclusive" just because of a possible anti-used method being enabled. They'll lose a lot of money.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This was always their end game.
This
The MS from 2 days ago is the same MS from when the Xbox released
Its just taken the Xbone for people to realize
I still say wait till E3 some stuff may not be all bad

ArjanN

Are games going to make the used games issue, 24 hour check in and always on Kinect go away?

No, but it'll mean people will mostly stop talking about them. And IMO those aren't really as big a deal as GAF is making them out to be in the first place.

Microsoft introduced paid online play. People still paid for it.

After that, I don't think much has changed with this box and don't see much reason why people wouldn't be happy to pay again.

scitek

People are purposefully changing that context of that quote to spread FUD.

Microsoft has repeatedly said that used games WILL be able to played on the Xbox One. You can take your game to a friends house and then just login with your account, and play the game for free. As for selling the game, they will have a online marketplace to buy/sell used games AND they will work with their retailer to transfer licenses, so if you buy a used game from a store than you won't have to pay a fee once you put that disc in your system.

Anyone implying that you will pay gamestop for a used game AND then pay a fee at home to Microsoft is spreading FUD, plain and simple.

No one's telling you what to do dude. But everyone has the right to point and laugh at you for being a paranoid freak just because Kinect is in an always on state to be able to work instantly.

I know you're banned, but there's literally no game on the planet that could get me interested in the One so long as the DRM stays the same.

Sqorgar

Banned
I'm pretty sure most people on these forums already hated Microsoft before the Xbone event. All of this is just more of the same.
After a Thompson Drive, RROD, and spending any time at all on the phone with Microsoft customer service, I'm not sure how Microsoft has any goodwill left to lose.

People use these apps as saying Microsoft has stopped focusing on the gamer. You do realize MS is a huge company right? Its not like 343 or Turn10 stop making games to develop that Pizza Hut app right?

It's not like Rare stopped making games to develop those av...

scitek

So how loudly do we have to yell to get rid of the always-online annd used game disc checking for good?

Well, they literally went from answering questions about the issue with somewhat substantive answers like, "it requires the internet, but not a constant connection," to straight-up, "policy decisions are still being finalized. When they are, we will let you know," within the matter of hours. I think the backlash really caught them off-guard, but I'm not sure why.

snack

Everyday since Tuesday Microsoft has been releasing statements that rendered their prior statements false. It is as if they are releasing info, waiting for a reaction from the internet, then changing their statement accordingly so they don't piss their consumers off. Why release info when you're not gonna stand by it?

Toski

I don't recall MS having much of a good reputation among gamers* even before they announced the Xbone, so I'm not sure how they've squandered it.

Before the 360 and E3 06 it was outright hostility (Xbox 1.5, 'I'm buying PSWii'), which turned to begrudged acceptance when it became obvious how much better a deal than the PS3 it was until about 08-09. I think most people couldn't wait to shrug off their feigned acceptance of 360 once the situation improved on PS3. The past three months there hasn't been a non-rumour related Xbox thread that wasn't a thinly-veiled troll thread ('will YOU still buy Durango after perceived MS slight XYZ?', 'how do YOU feel about heinous MS business practice XYZ?').

So while I do think MS fucked it spectacularly by showing exactly the things that its detractors were hoping they would show, I don't buy that they squandered much by doing it.
This is what astounds me. Doesn't MS know they have an overall negative reputation? If they were going to go this route, shouldn't they have made sure they were the only game in town first? If Xbone pulls Wii U numbers, I wonder who'll feel the heat at MS.

trmas

Banned
I've spoken with MS executives many times in other divisions. Data mining, pay wall, ads - those are the endgame. Why do you think Kinect is being made for PC? They don't care about games. Just the living room. Be naive if you'd like

Top Bottom