• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Story, how Microsoft Squandered Their Reputation Overnight.

SkareKro

My point was that there is not enough reasonable posts that are on topic in this forum right now. I really liked this post. As others have mentioned, we're in a really weird place with DRM right now, as we get closer to digital only it's going to be trial and error with the Sony and Microsoft when it comes to how they treat games that are still on disc. I'm in the camp of people who sell games to supplement his gaming budget, so the last thing I want is for a hardware company to put crazy strict DRM policies in their consoles. I hope neither console makes it so you have to pay full price to install a used game on your console. I don't think that's going to happen. That's the thing though, we just don't know. The Harrison comments from yesterday were absolutely cause for concern, but let's wait and see what the final plans are, and then have a rational discussion about it. That's all I'm asking.
I know I saw an interview w(Major Nelson yahoo chat) I believe where they said they were working on a way for us to sell our games through Live. I don't know if that was to other gamers or to Live itself. But it sounds like used sales aren't completely out. So yeah like i said earlier we should wait a bit before we bring out the pitchforks. =)

jacobs34

Yes, let's wait until plans are finalized or maybe even wait until launch to bitch about things that can no longer be changed. That's a brilliant plan.

They have already told what they want to do and they are waiting for your reaction.

They have? What is that exactly? You could really clear some things up for me. Because I listend to a number of interviews yesterday where they said they weren't going to talk about it. They could want to charge $800 for the console, and I wouldn't hold it against them, I just wouldn't buy the product they were selling. Here's the thing, I want them to talk about it as much as anyone else on this forum, the same way I want to know what Sony's plans are, but I have a feeling they don't know yet. That's what it sounded like to me yesterday.

Razdek

Banned
Xbox is pretty much their top consumer product they have and they managed to piss off a lot of gamers. It feels like the company is out of touch with all of their products of what consumers want with Windows, Windows Phone, tablets etc.

I know I saw an interview w(Major Nelson yahoo chat) I believe where they said they were working on a way for us to sell our games through Live. I don't know if that was to other gamers or to Live itself. But it sounds like used sales aren't completely out. So yeah like i said earlier we should wait a bit before we bring out the pitchforks. =)

all used games will be sold at the live market in exchange for Xc01n$. xcoins are non transferrable for money but can be exchanged for xbox goods and services.

Knoxcore

Listen, I didn't like the reveal and I will admit that I am rooting for Sony, but people are calling XBox's demise WAY too early. The XBox will be a successful console whether or not MS can deliver on games.

If I could perhaps comment on something we know of... The third console curse... Supposedly the third console of a company will invariably be a failure compared to previous versions. Now this is not true for everything as the only real success of Atari and Sega were the Atari 2600 and the Genesis/Mega Drive respectfully, but I plan to look at it in regards to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. The third console curse affected Nintendo and Sony because the very advantages they brought to the gaming industry became the albatross around their necks by their third console.

It was Nintendo's ability to control third-parties and keep them from making the crappy games that led to the North American video game crash that made them able to succeed where Atari had failed. However, it was that exact ability that drove third-parties away when the Genesis and later the PS1 showed up.

It was also Nintendo's desire to court the causal gamer that led to the success that the Wii had, but with the Wii U, Nintendo's sixth console, that same desire led to the core gamer vanishing and the casual gamers ended up being too fickle to base profits on.

It was PlayStation's urge to push multimedia formats that helped lead to the success of the PS1 and PS2. However, it was that exact pushing that led to Blu-Ray's inclusion into the PS3 and causing the price to be as high as it was allowing Nintendo and Microsoft to reclaim some of the market.

So what made the Xbox line a success? Xbox Live... It was the first popular online video game console. Microsoft was the company pushing online in the console space compared to Sony and Nintendo. Now with the Xbox One, we are being shown the disadvantages of an online console.

The third console curse is not really a magical curse, but instead just the observation that the very selling points of a console line will invariably show its downsides by the third console of the company.

Very appropriate username. It's a different take on the third console curse, and an interesting one.

eastmen

Banned
The ps3 wasn't just expensive. It was a year late for a feature that wasn't important .

The xbox one isn't late it will arrive at the same time and we don't know if it will be more expensive .

So its hard to tell exactly what will happen. We also don't know what ms is willing to spend for exclusive dlc and timed exclusive launches.

That alone could make many buy a xbox .

That's before we even discuss online. MS has had 2 consoles of stellar online capabilities and sony has had 2 generations of pathetic online capabilities. It remains to be seen if sony can catch up.

I thought that it had been confirmed that used games wouldn't have an extra fee? Did that get uncofirmed? I see people saying it all over the place.

MormaPope

Banned
It feels weird playing games on the 360 now, imagining the systems Microsoft has planned being put on the current 360 makes me feel pretty bummed. Like I said, the TV stuff and the rest of the conference wasn't really a bummer at all.

But all the details afterwards are just so menial and ill minded. Why have a authentication system every 24 hours when the user bought the game, used a DVD key, and installed it under their profile?

It feels weird playing games on the 360 now, imagining the systems Microsoft has planned being put on the current 360 makes me feel pretty bummed.
Okay, I thought I was alone in this feeling. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding MS and Xbox in general and I love the 360.

Kusagari

And I'm sure such a service run entirely by MS will be to our benefit.

All of this reaction reminds me of the Wii reveal on GAF. Look how that ended up.
There was negativity regarding the hardware specs but there was also a surge of curiosity of what motion controls could bring.

So far what MS has shown me doesn't really improve gaming in any way. The only thing I thought of was the DVR like function for your games. A similar PS4 feature which could be cool. Other than that it was stuff that doesn't interest me or news that isn't good. It's more inconvienance with no reason or benefit for the consumer. So it then comes to how much will you tolerate. And I'm still not interested in kinect so having it mandatory isn't exciting. Maybe if they show something worthwhile at e3 I might soften my stance but I doubt it.

SkareKro

And I'm sure such a service run entirely by MS will be to our benefit.
I never said it was. Only that it seems like used games aren't out of the picture. I personally dont believe in buying used games ,but to each his own. Not trying to piss on anyone's parade.

soco

There was negativity regarding the hardware specs but there was also a surge of curiosity of what motion controls could bring.

So far what MS has shown me doesn't really improve gaming in any way. The only thing I thought of was the DVR like function for your games. A similar PS4 feature which could be cool. Other than that it was stuff that doesn't interest me or news that isn't good. It's more inconvienance with no reason or benefit for the consumer. So it then comes to how much will you tolerate. And I'm still not interested in kinect so having it mandatory isn't exciting. Maybe if they show something worthwhile at e3 I might soften my stance but I doubt it.

the curiosity was minimal at first aside from some hardcore fans.

I'm sure there's a lot of social features they haven't shared with folks yet. the split screen stuff has a lot of possibilities for a lot of social gaming features.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I keep using this pic (apologies to all who've seen me post it before); it's just so perfect at conveying how I feel about everything Xbone represents:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KJCs4LbA2Yk/TMoaLHYWF7I/AAAAAAAAAK4/tL0IXpS8WNA/s1600/it.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

It's still not funny or clever. Keep spamming that shit though!

Microsoft's reputation will be fine shortly after e3. Most gamers will embrace whatever Microsoft shoves down our throat. The gamers that don't will be sidelined when the system dominates north America again. All the anger and fury now will just fester into a sad realization of just how unimportant core gamers are to huge sales and Microsoft's media box plans moving forward.

Microsoft isn't even competing with Sony and Nintendo anymore. It's Apple and Google and we are just getting dragged into the fight.

Truespeed

Microsoft's reputation will be fine shortly after e3. Most gamers will embrace whatever Microsoft shoves down our throat. The gamers that don't will be sidelined when the system dominates north America again. All the anger and fury now will just fester into a sad realization of just how unimportant core gamers are to huge sales and Microsoft's media box plans moving forward.

Microsoft isn't even competing with Sony and Nintendo anymore. It's Apple and Google and we are just getting dragged into the fight.

In that case they better hope Apple or Google don't get into the console business.

Trike

I agree with most points but..

For $10 or $20 you can get a game that's equal to the experience of a $60 game.

This is total bullocks for the most part. There is maybe a handful of games that can say this.

hidys

I think people need to get some perspective. Yes the conference was bad and everything we heard after the conference was largely bad but at least wait until after E3 before condemning them for the entire generation.

Codeblew

No body hated Microsoft or Xbox 360. People hated paying for Live.

Yes. This is the reason I did not own an XB360. Why would I pay for something that is free everywhere else? Although I still kind of hate MS for Windows 8. Windows 7 is great!

bes.gen

people were ready to hate the reveal because of months long rumors of anti-consumer, anti-core, weak hardware etc.
and ms did confirm every one of them one way or another. so the backlash.

i think (well hope) things will go substantially better with e3 where we will see games in action,
some cool exclusives. etc.
and they are also seemingly reconsidering some of their practices.

Zissou

people were ready to hate the reveal because of months long rumors of anti-consumer, anti-core, weak hardware etc.
and ms did confirm every one of them one way or another. so the backlash.

i think (well hope) things will go substantially better with e3 where we will see games in action,
some cool exclusives. etc.
and they are also seemingly reconsidering some of their practices.

Why would they reconsider? Like you said- they knew about the negative views of their anti-consumer practices for months due people's reactions to the circulating rumors, but Microsoft has changed nothing so far.

bes.gen

Why would they reconsider? Like you said- they knew about the negative views of their anti-consumer practices for months due people's reactions to the circulating rumors, but Microsoft has changed nothing so far.

its wishful thinking to be honest.

Why do you think an MS win is an eventuality in that fight?

We do have a say. Not the only one, but one regardless. We are the early adopters, and ones interested in the details of tech specs. We're the people who put these devices in those living rooms.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm pretty sure most people on these forums already hated Microsoft before the Xbone event. All of this is just more of the same.

I actually do most of my gaming on my 360.

I still haven't seen anything interesting from MS on this XBOne thing. Most of the focus seems to be on things I don't use already so I have a hard time caring.

Trike

There have been plenty of pretty bad games worth $60, same with XBLA/Indie titles too though.

Er, you mean that cost $60? Yeah, there are always bad games coming out. But most games released on XBLA are not close to being worth $60, regardless of quality.

How about we wait to see their games before engaging in sophomoric, hyperbolic, embryonic diatribes.

Let us all hope that the reveal was them getting the bullshit we don't care about out of the way so that they can pound away at on-stage demos and impressive shit at E3.

If they show me Kameo 2, this console is an insta-buy regardless of policies.

p3tran

Banned
Most of my gaming has been done on 360, and xbox before that. Well, until when it was a complete drag to play multiplat on consoles if you had a pc.

Microsoft did indeed zero'ed their gaming rep, as what they brought me to buy, in my opinion looks to be a freakin drm infested, spy camera, underpowered compared to competition , "instant switchin" tv box piece of shit!

Good luck trying to damage control your way to winning the market.
It will be interesting to watch

p3tran

Banned
Fuck them and their games!
Its been many many years since somebody told me to "get a permission", let alone for fun, for games and for things I own.

Let them shove it up their asses. They ve got the money to stay afloat, so punish them but not giving them yours for shitty products

Oh, and by the way, my favorite game ever is forza.

Yes, my system seller was the very first game microsoft informed me I'm getting day 1, but still I say FUCK THEM!

Haters will always be haters.

The original Xbox was TERRIBLY received. Microsoft supposedly doesn't know shit about gaming. "Stick to making PCs" was the typical insult there.

The 360 was mocked to hell and back for being Xbox 1.5 (just like the One is being mocked for being inferior now). The 360 was going to suffer the fate of the Dreamcast. The PS3 was twice as powerful in Gigaflops, and was going to trounce the 360.

And now the One supposedly doesn't allow used games (it does), is always online (it isn't, only requires internet once every 24 hours, and they'll likely find a solution for if you don't have one), Kinect is shit and doesn't work (almost every demonstration has proven that there is almost no lag, up to 6 people can be tracked, works perfectly in the dark, and has an extremely wide FOV for use in any type of room) and Microsoft doesn't care about games (MS is making more games now than ever, 15 exclusives being developed for the first 12 months, 8 being original IPs).

The haters will hate. But this is a company that is offering more than ever before. You may still be disappointed by their game offerings (I wanted a new PGR instead of Forza), but at least wait 2 damn weeks to see the other dozen exclusive games they'll be showing off.

This will be a whole different ball game once Sony reveals how big their console will be too and how EXACTLY the used game situation will be on their console as well. When all the hardware AND software is revealed about the PS4 and Xbox One...then we can talk. July 10th and 11th are going to be magnificent.

Everything that is making so many forum members salty towards Xbox One is exactly what we thought the industry was doing in the future. They are just doing it a generation earlier than we expected.

I'm not buying one. But blaming where the industry is headed on Microsoft is silly and childish.

I'm going to buy a lot more 360 games. It's a hell of a system. And probably the last MS console I will ever own.

Haters will always be haters.

The original Xbox was TERRIBLY received. Microsoft supposedly doesn't know shit about gaming. "Stick to making PCs" was the typical insult there.

The 360 was mocked to hell and back for being Xbox 1.5 (just like the One is being mocked for being inferior now). The 360 was going to suffer the fate of the Dreamcast. The PS3 was twice as powerful in Gigaflops, and was going to trounce the 360.

And now the One supposedly doesn't allow used games (it does), is always online (it isn't, only requires internet once every 24 hours, and they'll likely find a solution for if you don't have one), Kinect is shit and doesn't work (almost every demonstration has proven that there is almost no lag, up to 6 people can be tracked, works perfectly in the dark, and has an extremely wide FOV for use in any type of room) and Microsoft doesn't care about games (MS is making more games now than ever, 15 exclusives being developed for the first 12 months, 8 being original IPs).

The haters will hate. But this is a company that is offering more than ever before. You may still be disappointed by their game offerings (I wanted a new PGR instead of Forza), but at least wait 2 damn weeks to see the other dozen exclusive games they'll be showing off.

This will be a whole different ball game once Sony reveals how big their console will be too and how EXACTLY the used game situation will be on their console as well. When all the hardware AND software is revealed about the PS4 and Xbox One...then we can talk. July 10th and 11th are going to be magnificent.

Yup.

Zissou

What is all this, "OH HO HO... wait until you see the GAMES! Then you'll change your mind!" stuff? You mean you're willing to take it long and hard up the ass for the opportunity to play a decent looking game or two?

All Microsoft has to do is explain how users can still trade in games at Gamestop and transfer the license over for a used game and that if a person doesn't have an internet connection in a 24 hour period, then they can still game offline as long as they have the original disc in the tray.

BOOM. Literally all of the "Always Online, Online Required, No Used Games" Bullshit goes away.

What is all this, "OH HO HO... wait until you see the GAMES! Then you'll change your mind!" stuff? You mean you're willing to take it long and hard up the ass for the opportunity to play a decent looking game or two?

What's it to you how other people spend their money? People are beginning to sound like recruitment officers. Get a grip.

Ushae

Banned
The 360 was my main console this gen, switched to the Original Xbox towards the end of the previous gen. I'm sorry my words make you think I'm trying to be malicious.

You are being over sensetive and premature. We've yet to see their games line up. Wait till E3 then let us know your feelings. They clearly said this before the first conference. And we did the same thing before Sony had their conference too.

bj00rn_

Banned
I actually do most of my gaming on my 360.

I still haven't seen anything interesting from MS on this XBOne thing. Most of the focus seems to be on things I don't use already so I have a hard time caring.

So what are all these mysterious and wonderful things that you can do on a 360/PS4 that you just cannot do on a XbO? Because I'm at a loss here. If you don't find the upgrade useful, fair enough, but that means the PS4 is out as well doesn't it? They all can play games, right?

As a "high-end" PC gamer to me the speed difference between the two new consoles is marginal, so it would make more sense to me to buy a XbO (if I had to choose only one, which I don't have to) because it seems to offer more functionality no?

Jac_Solar

I thought that it had been confirmed that used games wouldn't have an extra fee? Did that get uncofirmed? I see people saying it all over the place.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

p3tran

Banned
I'm not buying one. But blaming where the industry is headed on Microsoft is silly and childish.

Which industry exactly is that, that tells you that you need a freaking spy 3d scanner and voice recognition to be always connected to the console, always connected (yeah, once per day?) to their private network, and that you have no control over it?

Even if sony goes the same way in drm, only by not enfocing a scanner on your face they have a much better system in my opinion.

Let alone everything else.

Which industry exactly is that, that tells you that you need a freaking spy 3d scanner and voice recognition to be always connected to the console, always connected (yeah, once per day?) to their private network, and that you have no control over it?

Even if sony goes the same way in drm, only by not enfocing a scanner on your face they have a much better system in my opinion.

Let alone everything else.

Then don't buy it. The rest of the world will continue to turn.

Top Bottom