• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition Performance Thread

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Wait so the update isn't optional??? I am currently running through the witcher 3 on my steam deck and I just kinda want to keep the graphics on max in the old version.
Just keep everything on Ultra (not Ultra+) without any RT.

Denton

Looks like it but since RivaTuner isn't working, I can't verify individual thread usage yet. [IMG alt="winjer"]https://www.neogaf.com/data/avatars/s/828/828249.jpg?1664655903[/IMG] winjer said that deleting the d3d11on12 dll fixes the issue and has no adverse effect so I'll try that later and give it a spin while looking at the thread usage.
It works, I am running RTSS and yes, it is limited by couple threads. I kinda doubt CDP will go and rearchitect the game to fix this though, would probably me a massive effort, if it is even possible.

Biggest issue is some horrible microstutter, even with RT off. The framerate itself is good, basically 144 fps no problem but you can easily see frame time spikes every 10 seconds or so. My rig is a 5800X3D with 3080 Ti. 16 GB 3600 CL16 DDR4.

Seems perhaps related to DX12 as I don't think I get as much of it with the DX11 exe.

Last edited:

k_trout

Welp, my 3070 at 1440p is really not holding up with recent RTX releases.

Starting to notice that on my end too. Have a 3070Ti, Ryzen 7 3700x, and 32 gigs of ram.
Know my processor isn't top of the line anymore but just gonna ride out for as long as possible.

At least I have G-sync!
same... 3070 and 3900x here and rt even with dlss is not looking great

Biggest issue is some horrible microstutter, even with RT off. The framerate itself is good, basically 144 fps no problem but you can easily see frame time spikes every 10 seconds or so. My rig is a 5800X3D with 3080 Ti. 16 GB 3600 CL16 DDR4.

Seems perhaps related to DX12 as I don't think I get as much of it with the DX11 exe.
how much VRAM are you using?

my 2080 has 8GB and the game looks like it's using as much as it can (7.7GB) and this is at 1440p with Performance DLSS. i know the 3080 Ti has 12GB VRAM but i wouldn't be surprised if it can make use of that. especially if you're playing at 144fps the game needs a higher frame buffer. it could be that the game needs 16GB or even 20GB.

16GB RAM is also quite low. my game is using 13-14GB but i have 32GB. i'm not sure 16GB is good enough anymore.

while this is branded as "next gen" patch i think on PC it will also be pushing it harder than hardware today can manage. CDPR is know for doing this in all their games. When Witcher 3 came out it was designed to run on the hardware that was available but they also had future hardware in mind. I played the game at launch with a gpu that was recommended by CDPR and i had to turn a lot of shit down and still got frame drops but the game was playable.

Run it how you want basically.

At 4k with everything cranked getting around 70 fps with DLSS Quality. Add in frame gen and that jumps to 100-120+ fps.

You could probably even run it maxed at 4k native with just the frame gen without any upscaling.
4090 is a beast. seriously. also i'm jealous us 2000 series peasants can't get DLSS 3

so far the ps5 performance mode is the way to go on consoles over the series x?

Downloaded the Series X patch last night but was busy with Bayo 3. Didn’t get to download the PS5 patch yet but wondering if it’s worth it or just play on series x?

TrebleShot

Whats The deal with lower res on this game? When I run it at 1440 or 1800 it has some weird windowed mode where the game goes to the centre of the screen, anyone have any experience with it?

RX6800XT btw

iorek21

Tried it last night with a 3080ti at 4K RT Ultra+, got 40fps most of the time, about 80 without RT.

It basically halves performance.

Exentryk

Performance is certainly a surprise. I'm getting about 35 fps at 4k with a 3080 when using RT, Ultra+, DLSS Quality, and no hairworks. This is running around the outskirts near Novigrad and the CPU is at 30%.
Definitely seems like they can do some more optimizations, or can at least clarify why performance is so poor for a 2015 game? Ray Tracing causing low fps is okay, but that's why there is DLSS. But even with DLSS, the performance being so low for an old game doesn't quite make sense.

Anyway, couple of screenshots:

MAyR9Xw.jpg

TaLVyHP.jpg

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
And here I am thinking the game looks stunning in performance mode on Series S haha

Wish I had the same with woman.

poodaddy

RTX 2080 i7 9700k, 1440 p G Sync monitor.

With all settings maxed, DLSS performance and hair works aa set to 4, I'm getting pretty variable performance between 27 and 42 fps, and based on how incredibly gorgeous it is I'd say that's about right in terms of optimization. When on ultra performance DLSS performance was consistently above 45, but the ghosting was just too much to handle. No crashes at all, very stable, definitely some micro stutter but that was always there. If you have VRR remember to disable the in game V Sync and just V Sync through the GPU control panel folks; this game has always had a shite in game V Sync implementation and it still does, don't use it.

Quality of life stuff is hugely cool, truly love the new control options and camera stuff, and the ray tracing is outstanding. It's definitely a heavy, chunky game in terms of performance, but it is an absolutely massive improvement in visuals so I'm not too fussed about it. My 2080 is finally looking like it's nearing retirement age.

how much VRAM are you using?

my 2080 has 8GB and the game looks like it's using as much as it can (7.7GB) and this is at 1440p with Performance DLSS. i know the 3080 Ti has 12GB VRAM but i wouldn't be surprised if it can make use of that. especially if you're playing at 144fps the game needs a higher frame buffer. it could be that the game needs 16GB or even 20GB.

16GB RAM is also quite low. my game is using 13-14GB but i have 32GB. i'm not sure 16GB is good enough anymore.

while this is branded as "next gen" patch i think on PC it will also be pushing it harder than hardware today can manage. CDPR is know for doing this in all their games. When Witcher 3 came out it was designed to run on the hardware that was available but they also had future hardware in mind. I played the game at launch with a gpu that was recommended by CDPR and i had to turn a lot of shit down and still got frame drops but the game was playable.

It's only using between 5.8-8 GB of VRAM with Ultra textures. 8 GB when you're running around Novigrad.

Agree that 16 GB is a little low these days, but that's not the issue here. There are definitely frametime issues, the spikes of which are clear as day on the RTSS frametime graph.

If it was a general performance hit due to a more complex rendering pipeline, we would see variable FPS but consistent frametime.

yamaci17

I find it funny that in 2015 I played witcher 3 locked 30fps on pc because it was so demanding.
And it seems like I will do the same in 2022 on 3080 if I want to play maxed with RT :p
Well, I could lock to 40fps at 120hz or leave vrr

novigrad gonna murder ur 3700x with ray tracing on

otherwise it is somewhat okay

Exentryk

Noticed the GPU was pretty much capped at its VRAM limit of 10 GB. Maybe that's one of the issues? Every blade of grass is creating accurate shadows and since there is so much foliage, it could explain why the game is so heavy.

Last edited:

yamaci17

yamaci17 yamaci17 seriously… 3700x is getting old? Surely not at 4k right?
its not about the framerate average, it is simply too rocky. even with a 30 fps lock, (tried different methods) it is rocky. you can pick up the clue from ps5/sx version actually. their Ray traced modes are also unable to lock to a 30 and have super rocky framerate. im specifically talking about the main square in novigrad. skellige/velen/open world freeroam seems okay. i can get rock solid 40 FPS actually. im happy with that. i just rode in skellige for 20 mins. it is smooth and consistent

I believe this game actually uses a dx12 wrapper...

but 50+ fps with ray tracing seems like pipe dream, even if you combine it with a 3090Ti. it seems like the game is CPU bound in a way to promote... DLSS3's frame generation which simply hacks through the game and pushes 2x framerate without touching or doing anything about CPU. same case with a plague tale requiem, another game that became heavily CPU bound near 40 fps avg. with the likes of 3700x.

That is why THERE SHOULD be 60 fps modes on consoles. if these devs end up optimizing their code around 30 fps while targeting the zen 2 on consoles, we're all doomed lol

it is not specifically getting old. but i feel like if we want to stick to our CPU, we would have to accept the console modes. by that respect, I came to understand, or rather accept that our CPU will only allow whaever a console is capable of and not beyond it. whenever a game's specific graphic mode does not have a 60 FPS mode, that directly translates to PC. most folks that are accustomed to 60 fps will be super gruntled by this and will have to find solace on super expensive zen 4 / 13th gen intel CPUs

me however, im happy as long as I can get stable 30/40 FPS (40 more preferable. 40 FPS in a plague tale requiem was fantastic. all i want is that to be stable.) in the case of witcher 3, i couldn't get novigrad to run with a stable 30 FPS sadly. i dont think it is CPU aging bad however, this time it really is the game. i really dont think it paints a general picture as to how the CPU will perform in future years. i believe we will be good at 30/40 fps lock targets for many years to come. that is of course, if more games take the route of gknights and a plague tale requiem

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
its not about the framerate average, it is simply too rocky. even with a 30 fps lock, (tried different methods) it is rocky. you can pick up the clue from ps5/sx version actually. their Ray traced modes are also unable to lock to a 30 and have super rocky framerate. im specifically talking about the main square in novigrad. skellige/velen/open world freeroam seems okay. i can get rock solid 40 FPS actually. im happy with that. i just rode in skellige for 20 mins. it is smooth and consistent

I believe this game actually uses a dx12 wrapper...

but 50+ fps with ray tracing seems like pipe dream, even if you combine it with a 3090Ti. it seems like the game is CPU bound in a way to promote... DLSS3's frame generation which simply hacks through the game and pushes 2x framerate without touching or doing anything about CPU. same case with a plague tale requiem, another game that became heavily CPU bound near 40 fps avg. with the likes of 3700x.

That is why THERE SHOULD be 60 fps modes on consoles. if these devs end up optimizing their code around 30 fps while targeting the zen 2 on consoles, we're all doomed lol

it is not specifically getting old. but i feel like if we want to stick to our CPU, we would have to accept the console modes. by that respect, I came to understand, or rather accept that our CPU will only allow whaever a console is capable of and not beyond it. whenever a game's specific graphic mode does not have a 60 FPS mode, that directly translates to PC. most folks that are accustomed to 60 fps will be super gruntled by this and will have to find solace on super expensive zen 4 / 13th gen intel CPUs

me however, im happy as long as I can get stable 30/40 FPS (40 more preferable. 40 FPS in a plague tale requiem was fantastic. all i want is that to be stable.) in the case of witcher 3, i couldn't get novigrad to run with a stable 30 FPS sadly. i dont think it is CPU aging bad however, this time it really is the game. i really dont think it paints a general picture as to how the CPU will perform in future years. i believe we will be good at 30/40 fps lock targets for many years to come. that is of course, if more games take the route of gknights and a plague tale requiem
hmm interesting. Going to check it out later today.
I normally don't mind 30fps but I remember this game being laggy as hell in 2015 when I locked it to 30fps.
I doubt consoles have good 30fps either considering that this gen almost nothing has good, low input lag 30fps locks.
If 3700x is taxed becaues of RT, it should be easily benchmarkable. DF video will be interesting.
Meanwhile yeah, I will see what I get and possibly leave unlocked or 40fps. No way I am lowering any graphics :p

Last edited:

yamaci17

hmm interesting. Going to check it out later today.
I normally don't mind 30fps but I remember this game being laggy as hell in 2015 when I locked it to 30fps.
I doubt consoles have good 30fps either considering that this gen almost nothing has good, low input lag 30fps locks.
If 3700x is taxed becaues of RT, it should be easily benchmarkable. DF video will be interesting.
Meanwhile yeah, I will see what I get and possibly leave unlocked or 40fps. No way I am lowering any graphics :p
feels okay to me. locked it through nvidia control panel. give it a try. least hassle, best framelimiter in my opinion

ray tracing is cool in this game

https://imgsli.com/MTM5OTE1

stuff looks so smooth and beautiful colored with GI

MMaRsu

Banned
Starting to notice that on my end too. Have a 3070Ti, Ryzen 7 3700x, and 32 gigs of ram.
Know my processor isn't top of the line anymore but just gonna ride out for as long as possible.

At least I have G-sync!
It runs like shit on 5700x too, 3070 as well

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just to see, I put everything to ultra rt+ 4k no dynamic res and no scaling.
It's like 15 fps but veeery skippy when I look around. Surprisingly nvidia reflex makes mouse movement smoother.

CAn't get rtss to display though

Diddy X

DLSS Quality is enough of an upgrade over the jaggy original, I don't care about RT as I can't run it even with DLSS Performance.

yamaci17

Just to see, I put everything to ultra rt+ 4k no dynamic res and no scaling.
It's like 15 fps but veeery skippy when I look around. Surprisingly nvidia reflex makes mouse movement smoother.

CAn't get rtss to display though
delete d3d11ond12.dll in the x64_d12 folder

DeaDPo0L84

Anyone else's Geralt character look odd in the character inventory screen? He's all fuzzy/sparkly looking, its bizarre, yet totally fine in game, on pc btw.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How customizable are the RTX features? I bet everyone could get a performance boost by disabling one or two things but not the whole RTX thingy.

Skifi28

Anyone else's Geralt character look odd in the character inventory screen? He's all fuzzy/sparkly looking, its bizarre, yet totally fine in game, on pc btw.
Same thing happens on console on performance mode (the one with the higher resolution) while on RT mode he looks fine. Seems like a bug.

yamaci17

How customizable are the RTX features? I bet everyone could get a performance boost by disabling one or two things but not the whole RTX thingy.
thats the main problem, it is not scalable at all. you enable RT GI and that's it. no option to adjust its sample rate, cast rays, internal resolution etc.

you can additionally enable shadows, ao and reflections on top of RT GI. but the biggest performance drop comes from the base RT GI. and you need that RT GI to enable other factors to begin with.

so no, the game is super unscalable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
thats the main problem, it is not scalable at all. you enable RT GI and that's it. no option to adjust its sample rate, cast rays, internal resolution etc.

you can additionally enable shadows, ao and reflections on top of RT GI. but the biggest performance drop comes from the base RT GI. and you need that RT GI to enable other factors to begin with.

so no, the game is super unscalable.
Well, fuck. Thanks for the info man, hope they improve on that with a patch. Or maybe modders can saves us, once again...

Top Bottom