• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney Studios to Hit Industry-First $7B at Global Box Office Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
lol what about Sony and other studios? have they even cracked the 2 billion mark?

I dont care for this btw. Disney is forcing Pixar to make sequels, they are making Marvel make safe as fuck comic book movies. I was hoping Dr. Strange would be different but its literally the same movie as their other origin flicks. They are now pimping out star wars movies every year which for some reason get A scores and great reviews despite being very mediocre and forgettable. Jungle book had a nice twist and some crazy good CGi, but it was mostly meh and left me wondering why it needed to be remade along with Cindrella and Beauty.

I guess they know the audience wants dumbed down shit and deliver on that every year. but looking at their portfolio this year, only Zootopia stands out as a true great movie with an original idea.

Of course, other studios are pumping out the same trash only worse so Disney is just beating others at this really forgettable movie season.

Pretty much. I like what they're doing with Star Wars and certain animated movies but the MCU is assembly line trash, just the exact same movie every time and people eat it up.

while there are always a few examples those kind of films are few and far between and only really the oscar season keeps them going at this point. the situation for smaller films is so much worse than it was even in 2006 let alone 1996 or 1976. the diversity of films on our screens these days is terrible and the mid-tier original film is being squeezed out completely by existing properties.

this effect goes hand in hand with disney's dominance of these huge budget franchise films. there's always been blockbusters, like another gaffer said, but there's not been such dominance by these films before.

i personally find it baffling that disney's record takes are being treated with fawning adulation here as if it's something to be cheered or impressed by. it's like if someone posted a thread highlighting exxon mobil's huge 2016 profits and everyone remarked at how brilliant their slate of oil refineries are and acted like their business had zero impact on climate change.

GAF loves corporations. Defends them to the death.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Now use that money to properly sort the parks out.

Ahahaha, that's a good one. Nah, they'll be raising ticket prices again, allowing quality control to sink, and pulling fan favorite attractions out of parks to replace with more Frozen nonsense. (I will forever be bitter about the fate of Maelstrom)

while there are always a few examples those kind of films are few and far between and only really the oscar season keeps them going at this point. the situation for smaller films is so much worse than it was even in 2006 let alone 1996 or 1976. the diversity of films on our screens these days is terrible and the mid-tier original film is being squeezed out completely by existing properties.

I mean this is not true? Like not even remotely? There's never been a better time to make films and find an audience. It's only become more accessible to hit a reasonable standard of technical quality and their are so many more avenues to get a film notice than there were 10 years, much less 40. The internet allows audiences that would never have a chance of seeing certain films in previous decades to actually see them. So many different niches that couldn't be reasonably served in the past that can be now.

If you love film, there's no better time to be alive, IMO. It's only getting better and more diverse. The existence of blockbusters has always existed in parallel with that.

Glass Rebel

Pretty much. I like what they're doing with Star Wars and certain animated movies but the MCU is assembly line trash, just the exact same movie every time and people eat it up.

yawn3.png
typical boring ass post by a boring ass person who has to feel validated in their boring ass tastes by posting about how everybody but them is just happily lapping up shitty movies. Congrats champ, you really broke the code here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hope they step up on the live action adaptations. All have been mediocre to okay. Still waiting for the one that feels worth the admission fee. Their animation is the exact opposite.

Garlador

Lmao the $$$ = quality argument.

So Donald Trump, Justin Bieber, and Michael Bay are all brilliant intellects right?

The MCU is a critical AND commercial success.

You're free to dislike them, but you'd be in the minority.

Most people globally think those films are actually quality, a consensus among professional critics and mainstream audiences.

Chumley

Banned
yawn3.png
typical boring ass post by a boring ass person who has to feel validated in their boring ass tastes by posting about how everybody but them is just happily lapping up shitty movies. Congrats champ, you really broke the code here.

Not liking Marvel movies is boring ass taste, mmk. Got it.

Most people globally think those films are actually quality, a consensus among professional critics and mainstream audiences.

Poster I was replying to said the money they make automatically means they aren't bad.

Their movies are well suited to get good rottentomato scores but that doesn't necessarily make them great movies.

Sheroking

Their 2019 is absolutely nuts. They'll break it then for sure.

Star Wars: Episode IX
Avengers 3: PT2
Spider-Man Homecoming 2
Indiana Jones 5
Captain Marvel
Unrevealed Live Action Fairy-tale movie
Unrevealed original animated movie

Oh, and we don't have a date for Frozen 2. Could be 2018 or 2019.

Chumley

Banned
Nope, going on message boards and complaining about how audiences are "eating up" "assembly line trash" leads me to believe that you have boring ass taste.

I could point to several accomplished directors who are also dismayed at the blockbusters audiences watch right now but I guess they all have boring ass taste too. If it's mainstream you'd better like it or shut up about it, right?

We're talking movies fam. lol

If it's so easy WB and Paramount should be with Disney.

Michael Bay is a director. Since Transformers makes a lot of money, he's a great director, right?

all horrible boardroom directed shit. laser focused to appeal to all four quadrants and bland enough to be able to appeal to all of the emerging global film market. these huge brands with their hugely expensive films are monopolizing more and more of the money in cinema and making it near impossible for anything with any genuine vision or creativity to compete.

Am I going blind, or are movies like Moonlight, Edge of Seventeen, Midnight Special, The Nice Guys, Hell or High Water, Arrival, and La La Land (among many many others) still continuing to get screens and critical acclaim. Nothing is being "taken away", these movies are still thriving. And please tell me you're not serious with that Exxon comparison. Fuck ALLLLLLLL the way off with that bullshit.

GAF loves corporations. Defends them to the death.

Be sure to throw your sock away when you finish jerking yourself off.

Glass Rebel

We could go to metacritic were none of them are even in the 80s.

And catch them chilling with the likes of Terminator 2, Matrix and Die Hard?

Yea I don't think they're terribly worried about their company.

I could point to several accomplished directors who are also dismayed at the blockbusters audiences watch right now but I guess they all have boring ass taste too. If it's mainstream you'd better like it or shut up about it, right?

Please, point me to those accomplished directors so I can laugh at their bitter opinions about how much better they know what is good and what's not. I'd love to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
We could go to metacritic were none of them are even in the 80s.

Sure, but keep in mind that Metacritic's movie scoring system considers anything above a 60 to be "favorable." We aren't talking inflated video game scores here. The 80s are considered "universal acclaim".

Cheebo

Banned
Came here for this, was not disappointed.

When does Disney start gutting ESPN and firing people for underperformance?
ESPN is still MUUUUUUUCH bigger than their film division despite recent tumbles. And generates far more revenue.

That is never going to change. People rather watch NBA and NFL than any film.

Toa TAK

Banned
Then it's kind of a pointless statement.

They've been successful both critically as well as financially so there's no reason to assume that they will change course any time soon unless something unexpected happens.

Not really.

Everyone's gonna start bitching when that time comes, whether they recognize it or not. It's a weird thing to assume they're gonna be on an uphill streak for the rest of the studio's existence. It may not be today, two years from now, or 10 years from now, but nothing lasts forever.

And catch them chilling with the likes of Terminator 2, Matrix and Die Hard?

Yea I don't think they're terribly worried about their company.

I don't have a problem with any of those scores. Matrix could be a little higher I guess but they aren't egregious. They're all solid blockbuster films, none of them are great.

Alienfan

Deserved. They took two franchises that were struggling with their movie output and managed to turn them into billion dollar printing machines. All while taking more risks with their animation studios, that paid off in the billions too. Most companies that old die into obscurity, but Disney have continued to be industry leaders.

They did the impossible and made superheros "cool" in the eyes of the mainstream

Sure, but keep in mind that Metacritic's movie scoring system considers anything above a 60 to be "favorable." We aren't talking inflated video game scores here. The 80s are considered "universal acclaim".

Especially since we aren't counting like, 35 reviews like most AAA games.

We're talking upwards of 300 reviews per blockbuster. For example, Arrival is sitting at an 81 on Metacritic.

Anybody gonna shit on Arrival's creative merit?

Yeah but those scores are pretty middle of the road relative to what's released every year. If you look at the highest rated movies of the year there are a good amount of 90s and 80s. It looks like the highest up any Marvel movie got was Iron Man which was the 46th highest rated movie of 2008.\

This doesn't even make sense. They are well suited to get good scores because they are good movies. Average at worse.

They are well suited because they are movies that you walk out of thinking "that was pretty fun" and it's a good or bad rating on rottentomatoes. 90% of people saying "that was pretty fun" doesn't mean it's a great movie.

Michael Bay is a director. Since Transformers makes a lot of money, he's a great director, right?

IMO, yes. Also Transformers is also slowly losing money and relevancy.

Glass Rebel

Not really.

Everyone's gonna start bitching when that time comes, whether they recognize it or not. It's a weird thing to assume they're gonna be on an uphill streak for the rest of the studio's existence. It may not be today, two years from now, or 10 years from now, but nothing lasts forever.

It's a good thing nobody is doing that then.

I don't have a problem with any of those scores. Matrix could be a little higher I guess but they aren't egregious. They're all solid blockbuster films, none of them are great.

Ah, I'm very curious, since we're using Metascore as an objective metric of a movie's "greatness", where do they set the cutoff point for "great" movies?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They are well suited because they are movies that you walk out of thinking "that was pretty fun" and it's a good or bad rating on rottentomatoes. 90% of people saying "that was pretty fun" doesn't mean it's a great movie.

So why doesn't the Transformer movies or the TNMT movies rate well on Rotten Tomatoes?

Ah, I'm very curious, since we're using Metascore as an objective metric of a movie's "greatness", where do they set the cutoff point for "great" movies?

Again, I'm looking at them relative to how other movies are scored. A Marvel movie has never been in the top FORTY highest rated movies of any given year.

So why doesn't the Transformer movies or the TNMT movies rate well on Rotten Tomatoes?

Because they are terrible movies. I don't think the Marvel movies are terrible.

If I come out of a movie about talking animals or space monks and go "that was pretty fun," then for me it was usually what I'd call a great movie. I'm not looking for it to change my life.

Again, I'm looking at them relative to how other movies are scored. A Marvel movie has never been in the top FORTY highest rated movies of any given year.

There's not a single blockbuster release in the top 40 though. Heck, even Zootopia (the highest RT score for a Disney release this year) isn't on the top 40.

Neither is Arrival.

There's not a single blockbuster release in the top 40 though. Heck, even Zootopia (the highest RT score for a Disney release this year) isn't on the top 40.

Because there are multiple films in the top-40 that barely have half, if not less (I found one in the top-5 that had eight reviews) of the total reviews Marvel/Disney movies have.

Neither is Arrival.

Wat.

Arrival is #21 on the list. I'm looking right at it.

Glass Rebel

Neither is Arrival.

I guess none of Disney's movies are "great" then.

By this metric.

And neither is Arrival. Not that I'd now because I've yet to see it. But it's not in the Top 40 of the year so it clearly is just a "solid blockbuster".

Neither is Arrival.

A lot of bad blockbusters came out this year, so that doesn't really surprise me (I havent seen arrival). Fury Road was 11 last year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom