• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The visual evidence to end the X360/PS3 battle once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GitarooMan said:
It's funny, I was thinking the same exact thing. Neither system is even out yet, and it's likely that before this gen is over both systems will have games better looking than that trailer. MGS2 was surpassed, as an example of another trailer that people fawned over

Well, I'm not going to question if the either consoles can do what seeing as they both are a clean sheet to next generation and powerful as hell, but most of arguments contain whether that MGS4 looks better than Gears of War and it's the best looking game seen yet.

As for whether they will be surpassed, that's a given, if that is what Team Kojima can do now on, what can they and other talented devs can do latter?

Insertia

Goreomedy said:
I'm sorry, Insertia, but what does that have to do with this coming generation?

Goreamedy said:
Oh SNAP!
But yeah, saying the Xbox360 will never be capable of MGS4 quality graphics is quite ignorant. The games we've seen are first generation, and hardly tap the full potential of either console.

Just making a comparison to last gen.
It's possible I read your comment wrong. :)

Speevy said:
Do you really believe Halo and DOA3 are as good as Xbox graphics got?

I think he was saying that PS2 was never even able to match those graphics ever. I disagree (I think God of War surpasses both for example) but it's arguable I guess

Insertia

GitarooMan said:
I think he was saying that PS2 was never even able to match those graphics ever. I disagree (I think God of War surpasses both for example) but it's arguable I guess

Exactly.
MGS3, GT4, God of War among other PS2 games *look* better than most first gen xbox games, but technically they don't compare.

Davew49

Insertia said:
PS2 was never able to match Halo or DOA3 technically.

Hmm, I don't know about that. There are several games on the PS2 that IMO are just as impressive from a technical standpoint as Halo. IMO the thing the PS2 had against it, was a lack of RAM in comparison to the XBox.

The upcoming Black, may show there is still a bit of life left in the PS2 architecture.

DAVEW

Speevy

Banned
But it's a different kind of impressive. PS2 games just don't do what Halo does at a stable framerate. Killzone proved that.

jett

D-Member
RE5 is a target render(confirmed by Capcom themselves, sorry don't have a link). The trailer was running at what seemed to be an unflinching 60fps. I doub either system could manage that back in May. :p

Speevy

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Black seems to much more impressive than Killzone so what would that prove?

I'm not sure. But I know that there are no PS2 FPS games with the size of Halo's levels, the detail of characters/vehicles, and things like bump mapping going on.

Davew49

Speevy said:
But it's a different kind of impressive. PS2 games just don't do what Halo does at a stable framerate. Killzone proved that.

With all due respect, you are going to base that fact on one developers attempt at a similar type of game?

I'm not saying Halo can or can't be done on the PS2, but what I am saying is that the PS2 has games that are as technically impressive, regardless of genre. The upcoming Shadow of Colossus "could" be one such title that fits my criteria for games that are just as technically impressive.

IMO as always.

DAVE

Mrbob said:
The Kojima love fest here has been great and fun, but I think all this gloom and doom about the X360 being underpowered is too prevelant. Here is my supporting evidence:

mgs4gow_1.jpg

Look at the detail in both pictures. It is extremely close in quality. In fact, juding on picture alone I would give the edge to Gears of War. GoW is a 2006 game too. ;) Just goes to show you that X360 is not doomed nor is it supremely underpowered compared to the PS3. The PS3 will be more powerful, but the difference won't be huge. Enjoy both! The PS3/X360 two console future is the way to go! :D

I've seen Mario 128 on the Rev and it puts those two to shame. The detail in Mario's belly and his penile bulge is just so wickedly awesome....you can even count the hairs on his 'stache!!!

Speevy

Banned
Davew49 said:
With all due respect, you are going to base that fact on one developers attempt at a similar type of game?

I'm not saying Halo can or can't be done on the PS2, but what I am saying is that the PS2 has games that are as technically impressive, regardless of genre. The upcoming "could" be one such title that fits my criteria for games that are just as technically impressive.

IMO as always.

DAVE

I'm no tech guy. The proof is in what I've seen. Like I said, the PS2 excels in other areas. For example, large levels and geometry is an idea I've heard thrown about quite often. But for the size present in the first Halo, I just haven't seen an equally detailed world on the PS2. Perhaps Ratchet and Clank 3 comes close? I'll have to get back to you on that.

jett

D-Member
Speevy said:

Uh...the point was that (according to the other poster) that since PS2 games didn't technically surpass first-gen xbox games, xbox360 games won't surpass first-gen PS3. With that statement you're saying he's correct. :p

Speevy

Banned
Well I'm not going to switch positions just because of what it may imply. Both PS2 and Xbox graphics got considerably better, just within their own little limitations.

Speevy said:
I'm no tech guy. The proof is in what I've seen. Like I said, the PS2 excels in other areas. For example, large levels and geometry is an idea I've heard thrown about quite often. But for the size present in the first Halo, I just haven't seen an equally detailed world on the PS2. Perhaps Ratchet and Clank 3 comes close? I'll have to get back to you on that.

Can you guess at what point I stopped reading your post?

Of course Xbox is more powerful than the PS2, but if you dont know wtf you're talking about (evidently so) then just don't talk.

Davew49

ManDudeChild said:
Can you guess at what point I stopped reading your post?

Of course Xbox is more powerful than the PS2, but if you dont know wtf you're talking about (evidently so) then just don't talk.

Dude that is somewhat harsh. Besides since the great majority of the GAF community are not "technically" inclined, then everyone should "just don't talk". eh?

Hell, we all are allowed the right to our own opinions.

DAVEW

bill0527

Davew49 said:
Dude that is somewhat harsh. Besides since the great majority of the GAF community are not "technically" inclined, then everyone should "just don't talk". eh?

Hell, we all are allowed the right to our own opinions.

DAVEW

Actually you're not entitled to your own opinions, especially if a moderator thinks your opinion is not factual based on his own judgement. You'll find youself at the end of the ban stick.

We seem to have to a Xbox PS2 tangent here, but anyway I'ill make this comment.

The biggest difference between last gen and this gen was what the consoles could natively support. Xbox supported effects natively from the get go on hardware, like the per pixel effects of dot3 and lighting, texture compression, etc over PS2.

Now this gen, it seems to be all there for PS3 and Xbox360.

512 MB of ram: Check
Support for new advance fancy per pixel effects of Shader Model 3: Check
Higher levels of anti-aliasing and texture compression: Check
Fancy HDR lighting: Check

The difference isn't what the consoles can't do, they both have the tech to do each others effects, but how much faster and better they do over each other.

Davew49

bill0527 said:
Actually you're not entitled to your own opinions, especially if a moderator thinks your opinion is not factual based on his own judgement. You'll find youself at the end of the ban stick.

I think you probably have a good idea the parameters that I was implying with my statement. There is a difference between a persons opinion, vs blatant trolling or just posting complete nonsense.

To each there own I guess.

DAVEW

HokieJoe

Dave Long said:
I've lived it since the 2600/Intellivision days. I'm tired of it.

Haha, I had a 2600 and my buddy had an Intellivision. It was the same business. :lol

I have to admit though, Intellivision football rocked!

raYne

ddkawaii said:
What is X05 everyone is referring to?
European MS trade show where MS is planning to reveal some supposedly huge news/info. It's next month(?) FYI.

Hmm... I was promised this topic would end some kind of battle. Was I lied to? :( :)

FightyF

Banned
My guess is that Halo 3 is being developed right now, but MS is holding it (patiently) until the PS3 launches to steal thunder.

It's all sort of like argueing over which gun is better the shotgun or the pistol.
In the end, they both have the potential to blow you away.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
64MB of RAM wouldn't do much to raise the PS2 to match Xbox's T&L, pixel shading, mipmapping, and texture filtering.

The one thing this does make completely clear is the BS TeamXbox was spewing when they claimed MGS4 looked exactly like GoW. Even if you ignore the technical aspects, artistically they're not even remotely similar.

Insertia

SolidSnakex said:
The one thing this does make completely clear is the BS TeamXbox was spewing when they claimed MGS4 looked exactly like GoW. Even if you ignore the technical aspects, artistically they're not even remotely similar.

Sooo true. MGS4 is Black Hawk Down while GoW is...not.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
SolidSnakex said:

You seem to imply that MGS4 art style is superior. MGS4's animation and attention to detail is exemplary. The sweat stain on his head after was a great touch, but I personally prefer the art direction in GoW.

cyberheater said:
You seem to imply that MGS4 art style is superior. MGS4's animation and attention to detail is exemplary. The sweat stain on his head after was a great touch, but I personally prefer the art direction in GoW.

I wasn't implying that (although I do think it). I'm simply saying artistically they're nothing alike. Finally seeing MGS4 just made it clear that it was a poor attempt to downplay the game by Team Xbox before it was shown.

Redbeard

Banned
He means TXB compared the two games, saying MGS4 is a lot like GoW. I don't think they ever said the two games looked alike, though.

Speevy

Banned
Would you guys please get rid of those silly Kojima/MGS4 avatars? You can even convey your love for the game/Sony, just in a smooth animation. Those give me a headache.

Flo_Evans

Lazy8s
Banned

oh thank heaven for 7-11. :lol

On paper the PS3 is more powerfull. I don't see how anyone can even debate that. We have yet to see real world performance of either machine running actual game code. Logic would say the PS3 would win in real world situations too, but it may be hard to get to all that power ala PS2.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
SolidSnakex said:
I wasn't implying that (although I do think it). I'm simply saying artistically they're nothing alike. Finally seeing MGS4 just made it clear that it was a poor attempt to downplay the game by Team Xbox before it was shown.

I see your point.

Back onto the subject.

I've not seen anything in the MSG4 trailer that couldn't be done on 360 but I do think it was put together so well.

Stars of the show for me where:-

* The particle/smoke effects. Done extremely nicely.

* Animation. Benchmark performance. Awesome.

* The bit where he licks his lips with his tongue. Once again amazing attention to detail.

Like I said. I believe the 360 could handle that trailer but it took the vision of the developer to get it there.

A round of applause from me. Amazing job.

Now let's hope some 360 devs see that and learn from it...

I'm hoping for war games with art direction like Band of Brothers. The only reason I bring it up is History channel is currently running the series. I've seen it a million times and I love it more and more every time.

Speevy said:
Would you guys please get rid of those silly Kojima/MGS4 avatars? You can even convey your love for the game/Sony, just in a smooth animation. Those give me a headache.
HAHAHAH THAT'S WHY I'M KEEPING MINE

LONG LIVE KOJIMAAAAAA

just kidding, but i'm still keeping it. it was annoying at first, but now I find it hilarious

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I still believe it is too early to judge what each machine can do. Unlike last gen, both machines support virtually the same features all the way around. You can't simply look at a shot and say "yeah, X360 can't do that" or something.

If you looked at an XBOX game with shaders all over the place, you could easily know right then that the PS2 could not duplicate it. The differences this time won't be so cut and dried.

Their capabilities will be proven over time...

cyberheater

dark10x said:
I still believe it is too early to judge what each machine can do. Unlike last gen, both machines support virtually the same features all the way around. You can't simply look at a shot and say "yeah, X360 can't do that" or something.

If you looked at an XBOX game with shaders all over the place, you could easily know right then that the PS2 could not duplicate it. The differences this time won't be so cut and dried.

Their capabilities will be proven over time...

I totally agree with you. It's going to be a fun generation that's for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom