• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The visual evidence to end the X360/PS3 battle once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raytow

Pay no attention to the joke character aka optimusprime, he is just comical relief for the forum, not to be taken seriously :D

Gaspode

Someone I know from a spanish forum has done this:

caras.gif

gowviejo.jpg

:lol

Thanks to OtogiNeverDies.

Zer0

Banned
Ryudo said:
Ha ha, so now after stealing Marcus's face .... Solid oldie is no longer great art.

mm.when i moves old snake rapes marcus so badly,what expressions marcus face have? angry,and angrier ?

pestul

If Konami was making MGS4 for X360.. I have no doubt it would look identical to the PS3 trailer. The animations are pretty much similiar to thier two previous games (which is awesome), and they could pull that off on much inferior hardware to the 360. It's just a great developer, who actually cares. I'm looking forward to seeing a nice Bungie teaser..

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Zer0 said:
mm.when i moves old snake rapes marcus so badly,what expressions marcus face have? angry,and angrier ?

I would think something along the lines of your avatar :)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mrbob said:
The Kojima love fest here has been great and fun, but I think all this gloom and doom about the X360 being underpowered is too prevelant. Here is my supporting evidence:

mgs4gow_1.jpg

Look at the detail in both pictures. It is extremely close in quality. In fact, juding on picture alone I would give the edge to Gears of War. GoW is a 2006 game too. ;) Just goes to show you that X360 is not doomed nor is it supremely underpowered compared to the PS3. The PS3 will be more powerful, but the difference won't be huge. Enjoy both! The PS3/X360 two console future is the way to go! :D

the gears of war character is using a form of polybump.. do we know if the mgs character is using something similar.. ? if it isnt.. its clearly superior.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
quadriplegicjon said:
the gears of war character is using a form of polybump.. do we know if the mgs character is using something similar.. ? if it isnt.. its clearly superior.

The Snake model is quite evidently modelling things with a lot more geometry than the GoW character. They may be using some texturing tricks for some of the smaller detail, but a lot of it is geometric. And in not hiding the human form, the complexity evident goes up all the more.

quadriplegicjon said:

Whatever they're using, its impressive

mgs4suit22jj.jpg

mgs4hair1js.jpg

JMPovoa

Sometimes using polygons to create depth in small objects is a lot less taxing than using special effects. That's what i would call intelligent programming.

Cuth

I suppose a comparison between MGS4 and the other PS3 games should prove that PS3 is more powerful than PS3 ;)

Raven.

Banned
Bodom78 said:
MGS4 had better animation because it was motion captured. I prefer the MGS theme so far bat GOW looks way better, espically the face detail.

Way better? Maybe in stills you can call it comparable, but I've just seen the high-rez vid from gearsofwar.com and you can easily tell it's not just the animation. The lighting on the characters themselves looks better in MGS4, the actual lvl of geometry on the GoW models becomes apparent when they move, when interacting with shadows and when they get close to the camera, and you can tell that most of it is just textury as it doesn't look properly 3d in that vid, outside of the face it looks like the rest of the body is low-poly and limbs are low-poly cylinders with some tacked on textures in motion, at least to me.

Anyone who sees these vids/trailers side by side will obviously notice it, you won't get away with it like with pic comparisons, and it's not just animations, framerate, Particle Effects, Polycounts, lighting, etc. Epic won't get away with using 4-5k poly bodies and tacking on Normal Maps, I've been complaining about UE3-epic models for quite a while now(ever since that engine was unveiled, prior to even knowing anything about GoW.), and I'll keep doing it till I see a vid where the characters impress me.

Excelion

Banned
op_ivy said:
it looks the same, as in, the same graphics running the show, yeah. but obviously any time you run a cut scene, you get artistic camera angles and perfect scene placement. a while back there was a clip of gears of war and cliffy b from g4. this clip had both gameplay footage and some breif cinema clips of the game. the cinema clips of gears of war looked incredible. arguably comparable to this mgs cinema footage.

Quoted for great truth. Seems to have been ignored though. MGS4 is of a cutscene, GoW's screenshots and movies show actual gameplay. And here's a screen from the Gears of Ware Cinema on G4 you were refering to. Has incredible lighting with dust particles flying everywhere and nice animation. Every bit as impressive as anything shown for MGS4 so far.

gearsofwarg4tvavi0202fu.jpg

Divus Masterei said:
Way better? Maybe in stills you can call it comparable, but I've just seen the high-rez vid from gearsofwar.com and you can easily tell it's not just the animation. The lighting on the characters themselves looks better in MGS4, the actual lvl of geometry on the GoW models becomes apparent when they move, when interacting with shadows and when they get close to the camera, and you can tell that most of it is just textury as it doesn't look properly 3d in that vid, outside of the face it looks like the rest of the body is low-poly and limbs are low-poly cylinders with some tacked on textures in motion, at least to me.

Anyone who sees these vids/trailers side by side will obviously notice it, you won't get away with it like with pic comparisons, and it's not just animations, framerate, Particle Effects, Polycounts, lighting, etc. Epic won't get away with using 4-5k poly bodies and tacking on Normal Maps, I've been complaining about UE3-epic models for quite a while now(ever since that engine was unveiled, prior to even knowing anything about GoW.), and I'll keep doing it till I see a vid where the characters impress me.

word!

Excelion said:
Quoted for great truth. Seems to have been ignored though. MGS4 is of a cutscene, GoW's screenshots and movies show actual gameplay. And here's a screen from the Gears of Ware Cinema on G4 you were refering to. Has incredible lighting with dust particles flying everywhere and nice animation. Every bit as impressive as anything shown for MGS4 so far.

Dude, no it does not. The Gears Of War cutscenes have no where near the minute details that the MGS4 trailer has. And if it was just as impressive as MGS4, then why isn't everyone going batshit insane over it?

Mrbob said:
Gears of War doesn't look too bad in motion. The problems with its animation in gameplay are overstated.

Don't touch that subject, you'll get owned. Better stick with the graphics arguments. I'm doing you a favor here.

MetalAlien

Banned
I see all this fighting and it reminds me of the good ole days of GAF... I read whole threads that are pages deep and I want to join in.... but all the damn games look so good... I just don't have the heart for it anymore.

HEY, snake does have camel toe! WTF?

Bodom78

Divus Masterei said:

Fair enough, if you look at it fram a technical side well I dont know. Im not really intrested in what mapping they use, how the generate lighting and all the tech jargon that comes with next gen gaming. I think that the problem these days is too much focus on the development techniques. It tends to distract people from enjoying what they see.

Dont know how exact the lighting is in GOW compared to real life, and I dont care too much either. I just know that I enjoyed it alot more when watching it.

Insertia

OptimusPrime said:
HAAUAUAUAH well they are there...

I like fucking you people up....cos your all so damn easy. :lol

You fucked yourself up and made yourself look stupid at the same time. There isn't a single jaggy in that shot.

Insertia

pestul said:
If Konami was making MGS4 for X360.. I have no doubt it would look identical to the PS3 trailer. The animations are pretty much similiar to thier two previous games (which is awesome), and they could pull that off on much inferior hardware to the 360. It's just a great developer, who actually cares. I'm looking forward to seeing a nice Bungie teaser..

So far there hasn't been a single 360 that matches MGS4 from a technical angle. I highly doubt MGS4 can be replicated perfectly on 360. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure GoW can be done PS3 without any loss in detail.

DCharlie

Banned
"So far there hasn't been a single 360 that matches MGS4 from a technical angle. I highly doubt MGS4 can be replicated perfectly on 360."
Out of interest, what exactly can't the X360 do that the PS3 can do as shown in MGS4?

I mean, i know we haven't seen anything to match the game on the X360 so far, but does that mean as fact that the X360 can't do it?

Just wondering.

On a spec sheet basis - is there anything in that MGS4 demo that , on paper, the X360 can't do? and if so , what is it?

"So far there hasn't been a single 360 that matches MGS4 from a technical angle."

RE5 is the closest so far.

DCharlie said:
Out of interest, what exactly can't the X360 do that the PS3 can do as shown in MGS4?

I mean, i know we haven't seen anything to match the game on the X360 so far, but does that mean as fact that the X360 can't do it?

Just wondering.

On a spec sheet basis - is there anything in that MGS4 demo that , on paper, the X360 can't do? and if so , what is it?

It's funny, I was thinking the same exact thing. Neither system is even out yet, and it's likely that before this gen is over both systems will have games better looking than that trailer. MGS2 was surpassed, as an example of another trailer that people fawned over

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
DCharlie said:
... is there anything in that MGS4 demo that , on paper, the X360 can't do? and if so , what is it?

Excite the masses? *bad-da-dish* :p

*Runs*

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Vennt said:
Excite the masses? *bad-da-dish* :p

*Runs*

Oh SNAP!

But yeah, saying the Xbox360 will never be capable of MGS4 quality graphics is quite ignorant. The games we've seen are first generation, and hardly tap the full potential of either console.

The future is very bright for both systems. Perhaps brighter for one... but the proof will be in the puddin', baby.

Insertia

DCharlie said:

Just wondering.

I'm basing this purely on what I've seen of MGS4 and the games shown so far for Xbox360.
Besides maybe the enviroment textures of MGS4 (which can easily be a lot better i'm sure) I've yet to see a single 360 game that matches the models, lighting, shadowing, polygon count, and particle effects of MGS4.

RE5 is the closest so far.

I agree. I may be wrong though but I believe it's only target footage.

Insertia

Goreomedy said:
Oh SNAP!

But yeah, saying the Xbox360 will never be capable of MGS4 quality graphics is quite ignorant. The games we've seen are first generation, and hardly tap the full potential of either console.

The future is very bright for both systems. Perhaps brighter for one... but the proof will be in the puddin', baby.

PS2 was never able to match Halo or DOA3 technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom