• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The visual evidence to end the X360/PS3 battle once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Slurpy said:
Why do we care? The in-game snake model will look astounding anyway. I don't see why anyone would doubt that.

Yes it will, because it will be the same freaking model.

Kangu

Banned
Well I can't for the life of me find this interview, but iirc there were 3 models in MGS2. One for the tanker section (lowest detail), one for the indoor sections (medium detail) and one for cutscenes (high detail). I don't know why you find it so incredible, when the fact that no one noticed is a testament to the effectiveness of the technique.

Also people seem to think I have something against MGS4 or Kojima, when nothing could be farther from the truth. The fact is Kojimas team have always prided themselves on doing more with less and using the extra power to make a more believable world. The insanely detailed MGS4 model doesn't seem consistent with that, but hell, if they can do it more power to them.

jett

D-Member
You may have misread or misinterpreted things. You see, Snake does have 3 "models": Snake with a raincoat, Regular Snake, and Pliskin Snake. But there's no 3 different models of Solid Snake. Enough.

eso76

Ben Sones said:
Don't get me wrong--MGS4 looks awesome. But all you folks who think that Snake is made from 6.4 bazillion polys with no normal mapping or anything are on crack. There are a lot of clever tricks that make that Snake model seem like it has a lot more geometry than it does, including (I'd guess) a lot of normal mapping. If you look closely, you can definitely see the edges in the actual model. Large ones. I've highlighted a few, here:

Yeah, i've been saying this for a few days...well, since the shock from the trailer wore off. If you look at the pics you can definately see that mgs4 is not pushing millions polys or hyper high res textures. It's awesomeness has little to do with those things.
Of course the artists were backed up by quite some power, here, but analyzing Gow's visual you can say they are more demanding in terms of pure processing power (details on characters and especially backgrounds, parallax mappung, shadows being casted by every object surrounding the player when he shoots etc): a "vulgar display of power" you'd say.
Mgs4 is a design marvel, the use of polys is well balanced and everything looks natural.
It's also using quite some fogging, which, however, you never perceive as a trick to cut the draw distance, since it looks so natural.
All in all, Mgs4 is not a proof of ps3 superior capabilities, it's once again a proof that team kojima is still, by far, the best out there.
And having the best team out there working on your console means more than having the most powerful console anyway.

Angst

From Gamesindustry.biz:

"Gamers are a very smart bunch, and gamers who still haven't seen a PS3 or seen one played, will make the determination. The English expression is, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. Having videos, having characters in videos... The fact that they feel the need to have Snake tell you that it's powerful, that could be seen as a sign of worry, or weakness, potentially," Moore concluded.

Isn't this kinda stupid? Why would Konami feel worried about PS3's strength or lack of strength and hence feel the need to let Snake tell us about PS3's strength? If it had been Sony stating it I'd see Moore's point...

LInky

Raven.

Banned
I'd expect LOD to kick into action if snake's far enough, it's best that more processing power's freed up to add more detail to what's closer to the camera. As for snake's model, we do know that even models simpler than the human figure have a few sharp edges even with high polycounts, car models with at least 40K verts have a few sharp edges here and there(see gt5 and pgr3 models). So snake may've a few we've not noticed even if he had more verts than those, considering the added complexity of the human figure as compared to a car, and the focus on facial detail so as to better convey emotion.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Why would anyone think that a couple of launch titles that won't be out until next year would be any indication of either of their respective system's peak graphical power? This is nothing more than another Sony vs. Microsoft slap fight.

Both games look stunning. Of course, we know that the MGS4 stuff is cinematic (even Kojima isn't crazy enough to employ game play camera angles that focus on Snake's chin) and that the GoW stuff is layered with a bit of polish that doesn't currently exist in the game engine.

The good news is that both Dev teams still have plenty of time to get their games ready. Both games will look fantastic. Even better news: both games will be surpassed by leaps and bounds in the years to come.

There is so much irony at play here that it makes my brain hurt. Xbox lovers have been lording their system's graphical might over Sony fans this last generation and now they seem a little bit defensive when the shoe is on the other foot. Sony fans, on the other hand, have waded through the current generation telling us all that there are more important things in the video game industry than graphics. Now that their system claims to have the upper hand there, they can't see to talk about anything else.

From the looks of things, I'll own both systems (and Nintendo too). You guys can stick around here, posting screenshots as damning evidence of one system's superiority over another until your eyes bleed. Be content to scrutinize perfectly acceptable shots of Solid Snake's jowls, looking for any sign of polygon edges. Smile while you peer down through the lens of your magnifying glass to inspect a Gear's generous codpiece. In then end, it doesn't matter to me. I'll be playing both and you can be pretty certain that Snake's flabby chin and Phoenix's metal bulge won't be much of a factor to determine whether or not I enjoy the experience.

You guys talk about Polygon count and Texture Mapping a lot. I do a little 3D rendering and I can tell you right now that polygon count and texture mapping, while important, is nothing without proper lighting effect. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Lighting is more important than the other 2. As an example, Doom 3 engine focused on improving 2 things, multiple layers of textures and lighting. The polygon count stayed virtually the same. Almost all game designers never use high polygon counts because they are not needed with the right textures. They rather have the extra resources for proper light and texturing.

It is also true that the PS3 might be able to push close to 1billion polygons, but with all the effects turned on, it will probably reduce the polygon count by 1/8 the original figure. I remember, the PS2 being able to push 80 million polygons, but realistic figures were close to 10 million with all effects on. Please keep this in mind when you try to figure out the PS3 performance, don't fall for the hype again.

The UE3 Engine is very focus on giving off the proper specularity and shadows and you can tell from the images. I'm also pretty sure that the MGS4 Snake model does not use a high polygon count, but clever use of Texture and Bump Mapping. The same is said for GOW, the difference is that the UE3 engine feels rather generic due to the nature of a general engine, while the MGS4 engine is very specific.

In terms of polygon count, I think MSG4 might have the slight edge, but GOW have the superior lighting, shadowing, and texturing. I wouldn't make a call which system is better because the Xbox 360 development kit has been out longer than the PS3 kit. And the MGS4 demo is really just a demo without the calculation of physics or AI. It is a simple animation script focus on just showing an impressive demo.

Truthfully, even if the Xbox360 is underpowered, it will have a development advantage. It takes times to harness the full power of a game console. Xbox360 developers, with a 1 year lead in understanding the hardware, can make games look better than PS3 for the good part of the next generation. PS3 developer will be behind in development by 1 year. It is only at the end of the system lifecycle where you start seeing the superior power of the PS3 over the Xbox360, by then, we will be heading into the next next generation of systems.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I remember, the PS2 being able to push 80 million polygons, but realistic figures were close to 10 million with all effects on. Please keep this in mind when you try to figure out the PS3 performance, don't fall for the hype again.
Things are a bit different this time due to the people involved in the creation of the hardware...

In terms of polygon count, I think MSG4 might have the slight edge, but GOW have the superior lighting, shadowing, and texturing. I wouldn't make a call which system is better because the Xbox 360 development kit has been out longer than the PS3 kit. And the MGS4 demo is really just a demo without the calculation of physics or AI. It is a simple animation script focus on just showing an impressive demo.
What exactly makes you believe that GoW will provide superior lighting, shadows, and textures? How could you possibly make such a judgement at this point?

Also, while the demo is nothing more than an animation script, the history of this series has shown that the final products (in game) will match their demonstrations.

What exactly makes you believe that GoW will provide superior lighting, shadows, and textures? How could you possibly make such a judgement at this point?

I wasn't talking about the hardware. They are probably both very capable in these areas, we will see. It was mainly a comparison of the game engine used at their current stage of development from the previously posted screen shots. Of course the UE3 engine has been in development longer than say the MGS4 engine. I'm sure i'm not alone when I say that those screen shots showed the GOW have much better dynamic lighting and texturing.

WordofGod

Banned
TheJesusFactor said:
You guys talk about Polygon count and Texture Mapping a lot. I do a little 3D rendering and I can tell you right now that polygon count and texture mapping, while important, is nothing without proper lighting effect. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Lighting is more important than the other 2. As an example, Doom 3 engine focused on improving 2 things, multiple layers of textures and lighting. The polygon count stayed virtually the same. Almost all game designers never use high polygon counts because they are not needed with the right textures. They rather have the extra resources for proper light and texturing.

It is also true that the PS3 might be able to push close to 1billion polygons, but with all the effects turned on, it will probably reduce the polygon count by 1/8 the original figure. I remember, the PS2 being able to push 80 million polygons, but realistic figures were close to 10 million with all effects on. Please keep this in mind when you try to figure out the PS3 performance, don't fall for the hype again.

The UE3 Engine is very focus on giving off the proper specularity and shadows and you can tell from the images. I'm also pretty sure that the MGS4 Snake model does not use a high polygon count, but clever use of Texture and Bump Mapping. The same is said for GOW, the difference is that the UE3 engine feels rather generic due to the nature of a general engine, while the MGS4 engine is very specific.

Truthfully, even if the Xbox360 is underpowered, it will have a development advantage. It takes times to harness the full power of a game console. Xbox360 developers, with a 1 year lead in understanding the hardware, can make games look better than PS3 for the good part of the next generation. PS3 developer will be behind in development by 1 year. It is only at the end of the system lifecycle where you start seeing the superior power of the PS3 over the Xbox360, by then, we will be heading into the next next generation of systems.

Have you not seen MTS4 and the Final Fantasy 7 Demo? Everything on Xbox 1.5 looks like a upgraded pc compared to those 2 pieces of software for PS3. No matter what you say the difference is just enormous in how much better the PS3 is in the hardware department compared to xbox 1.5.

dark10x

TheJesusFactor said:
I wasn't talking about the hardware. They are probably both very capable in these areas, we will see. It was mainly a comparison of the game engine used at their current stage of development from the previously posted screen shots. Of course the UE3 engine has been in development longer than say the MGS4 engine. I'm sure i'm not alone when I say that those screen shots showed the GOW have much better dynamic lighting and texturing.
I wasn't talking about the hardware either. I'm saying that I don't understand how you could have made that comment based on the media we are seeing. The shadows in MGS4's trailer were of extremely high quality and were present across a large number of models. I've never seen that many moving characters in Gears of War just yet. The shadows seem to work in a very similar fashion between the two games, but we've seen more objects at one time using them in MGS4's trailer.

It's difficult to pass judgement on any of those aspects, though. The lighting in GoW is a lot less subtle, but that doesn't mean it is more impressive technically.

TheJesusFactor said:
I remember, the PS2 being able to push 80 million polygons, but realistic figures were close to 10 million with all effects on. Please keep this in mind when you try to figure out the PS3 performance, don't fall for the hype again.

The number is ~60 million untextured, unlit tris.

That is a real number. I know, I've cranked out that many, or somewhere near that number, on a Tool myself. Any competent PS2 engineer can do the same. The PS2 is incredibly powerful when it comes to fillrate. It is why so many effects look better on the PS2 than on the other two consoles.

Don't talk about hype if you don't know what you are talking about.

Redbeard

Banned
WordofGod said:
Have you not seen MTS4 and the Final Fantasy 7 Demo? Everything on Xbox 1.5 looks like a upgraded pc compared to those 2 pieces of software for PS3. No matter what you say the difference is just enormous in how much better the PS3 is in the hardware department compared to xbox 1.5.

:lol

WordofGod

Banned
Redbeard said:

I can honestly say this about the difference between PS3 and Xbox1.5:

PS3 = Almost Toy Story quality CG @ 60 FPS in realtime with MGS4. :D

Xbox 1.5 = With GOW you get amazing videogame graphics with horrible framerates. :lol

eso76

dark10x said:
The shadows seem to work in a very similar fashion between the two games, but we've seen more objects at one time using them in MGS4's trailer.

It's difficult to pass judgement on any of those aspects, though. The lighting in GoW is a lot less subtle, but that doesn't mean it is more impressive technically.

You don't listen to me !
Take a look at the trailers or gameplay vids; you'll notice that when characters shoot their weapons, every object in their surroundings cast dynamic shadows.
Take a look at that sequence where Marcus (marcus, wasn't he ?) pushes a car in flames down an alley; you'll see every part of the background casting dynamic shadows as the car passes by.
That's something not present (yet) in mgs4, for example.

dark10x

eso76 said:
You don't listen to me !
Take a look at the trailers or gameplay vids; you'll notice that when characters shoot their weapons, every object in their surroundings cast dynamic shadows.
Take a look at that sequence where Marcus (marcus, wasn't he ?) pushes a car in flames down an alley; you'll see every part of the background casting dynamic shadows as the car passes by.
I think it is, though. Every object is casting shadows on itself and its surroundings. The difference is that the time of day and environment does not allow for any single light source to fly around the environment. It would seem that all of these features are already possibly with the MGS4 engine, but the scenes were saw were not able to demonstrate them. Everything in the trailer was casting shadows based on the sun (and the shadows were accurate and present on all objects). There were no dynamic light sources present.

That Gears of War footage is at night and features distinct sources of light (which also play a role in the level). There are plenty of chances for shadows to be cast as a result of the setting.

WordofGod said:
Keep talkin... :lol
1127159903.jpg

1127159902.jpg

1127159457.jpg

WordofGod

Banned
eso76 said:
You don't listen to me !

I don't agree, but even if this were true, who cares if the dynamic shadows are in GOW when the game looks like it's running @ 20 FPS. :lol

For $400 xbox 1.5 should at least be able to have 60 FPS all the time.

WordofGod said:
I don't agree, but even if this were true, who cares if the dynamic shadows are in GOW when the game looks like it's running @ 20 FPS. :lol

quit trolling

WordofGod said:

Or save $350 and just pickup a copy of FEAR for their peecee.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PUT YO HANDS UP IN THE AIR AND SAY HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1127159457.jpg

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have a question: Do you think the difference in power between the PS3 and Xbox360 will be like going from the PS2 to the Xbox 1?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
WordofGod said:
You want to pay $450 to play GOW on xbox 1.5 @ 20 FPS? :lol

Oh yeah, next gen here I come @ 20 FPS! :lol

Killzone was 5fps and something tells me that you ate that up with a spoon. No matter. Everyone but you seems to realize that only one of the games in the original comparison is playable. Can you guess which one it is?

Right now, you are comparing unfinished gameplay to a cinematic trailer. Laugh it up.

Redbeard said:
789_0012.jpg

789_0015.jpg

Was someone saying something about a Final Fantasy tech demo?

zoom_01.jpg

zoom_03.jpg

The clothing movement Aeris' dress has is incredibly impressive. What's even more impressive is that they created it in a month and a half.

dark10x

Synbios459 said:
I have a question: Do you think the difference in power between the PS3 and Xbox360 will be like going from the PS2 to the Xbox 1?
Yes, but those differences will not be of the same variety.

As I've said, both machines are capable of virtually all of the same effects. It's going to be about just how far you can take everything on each machine before they start to struggle. I really believe the PS3 will have a higher ceiling, but they will compare very favorably and consumers aren't like to see any major differences between them.

Killzone was 5fps and something tells me that you ate that up with a spoon.
The original Killzone (final version) was only like 5 fps too. :p

Was someone saying something about a Final Fantasy tech demo?
The FF7 demo was very impressive looking. Along with the near Advent Children quality models (complete with complex cloth simulation), there was a MASSIVE city with gobs of detail in the demo. It also ran at 60 fps. It looks much nicer than N3, but wasn't actually a game...so it hardly should be compared.

eso76

WordofGod said:

you don't agree ? : )
look, it's not a matter of opinions, it just does : )

In the latest movie (xboxyde) gow has a much more stable framerate. It's 30fps most of the time, there's some tearing and for a split second it pulls 60fps -but to be honest there's nothing on screen, just the main character facing a wall, really-

marmaraS

The only way to compare them is with the same game so when EA release some pics for the any of their sports titles then you can compare

WordofGod

Banned
eso76 said:
you don't agree ? : )
look, it's not a matter of opinions, it just does : )

In the latest movie (xboxyde) gow has a much more stable framerate. It's 30fps most of the time, there's some tearing and for a split second it pulls 60fps -but to be honest there's nothing on screen, just the main character facing a wall, really-

Next Gen has to be about 60 FPS gaming. If it's not, then something is wrong.

Give me GOW @ 60 FPS, then we can talk about this battle for Next Gen being equal between GOW and MGS4.

eso76

WordofGod said:

if it's not it just means devs' priority isn't framerate and they'd rather use twice the polys at 30fps. it was always like this, it will always be like this.

TheInkyVoid said:
The number is ~60 million untextured, unlit tris.

That is a real number. I know, I've cranked out that many, or somewhere near that number, on a Tool myself. Any competent PS2 engineer can do the same. The PS2 is incredibly powerful when it comes to fillrate. It is why so many effects look better on the PS2 than on the other two consoles.

Don't talk about hype if you don't know what you are talking about.

The point was on how unrealistic it is to expect the full polygon count in a real game, but I see you rather troll.

WordofGod said:

Give me GOW @ 60 FPS, then we can talk about this battle for Next Gen being equal between GOW and MGS4.

I know the trailer for MGS4 is 60 FPS but there is no proof the game will run at 60FPS. And people who think every game will run at 60FPS next gen are crazy. I actually think something would be wrong if everything ran 60FPS because that means the devs aren't really pushing the machines for all the graphics they can handle.

I'd rather see some early gen games pushing the machine hard for great graphics and effects at a rock steady 30fps and then as the gen moves on and devs get more familiar with the systems, you can see those same type of graphics at 60fps.

WordofGod said:

I,m not sure why I'm bothering but...GoW is a working title MGS4 is not. Saying MGS4 runs at 60 fps when the game doesn't exist is just plain stupid.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
This thread proves that the barrel is an endless pit of despair, and that their really isn't a bottom to scrape.

Now, continue with your childish dogmatic ways of trying to prove each others opinions wrong, regardless of how futile it is, it's really valuable and a service to all here, no seriously, carry on...

WordofGod

Banned
eso76 said:
if it's not it just means devs' priority isn't framerate and they'd rather use twice the polys at 30fps. it was always like this, it will always be like this.

MGS 4 would like to disagree with u:

926596_20050916_screen007.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Wakune said:
Did you just quote yourself? :b

Yup. I was giving WarofGod trouble about bashing GoW's gameplay framerate while he splooged over Killzone renders.

Immediately following, he posted shots of Killzone to counter other shots (which he edited out after he realized how hypocritical his framerate argument had become).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom