• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft is considering increasing the price of Game Pass Ultimate again.

The only reason I have gamepass is because the core level that just allows you to play multiplayer is more than half the price of full gamepass so you may as well.

A price increase would make me switch

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Jigsaah Jigsaah
"Microsoft’s gaming business isn’t growing without Activision Blizzard right now "
"Microsoft’s latest earnings showed that Xbox content and services, which includes Game Pass, would have only been up a single percent without Activision Blizzard"
"overall gaming revenue would have declined without this giant acquisition"
I'm sorry, is anybody arguing that this isn't the case?

Also, I'm going to shower soon, just curious about how long you plan to be on my nuts.

Last edited:

Barakov

Via The Verge

Microsoft is considering increasing the price of Game Pass Ultimate again. It's also had internal debates on whether to put new Call of Duty releases on Game Pass

"Hellblade II is another game that Microsoft has been considering for the PS5"

The best deal in gaming is just getting worse.
darth vader disneyland GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
Egg and Microsoft’s leadership now having to face the reality which Bobby Kotick told them free of charge in court: Game Pass doesn’t work and devalues the product.

They spent a year frantically doing anything and everything to get ABK, doesn’t seem like they thought about what would happen when they actually did. It’s beggar’s belief that questions like ‘will the games be on Game Pass’ weren’t already set in stone prior to the regulator scrutiny.

They hoped the rest of the industry would follow them down this unsustainable loss-leader path, which would effectively bankrupt both Sony and Nintendo ( and even Valve if they got involved).

But everybody else just sat back and left them to execute on their stupidity alone and this is the result.
To be fair, Gamepass was the only chance for them to stay competitive in the console market. Who would own an Xbox if wasn't for Gamepass? I don't think they ever thought Sony would follow suit because no way would two gamepass subscription services between Xbox and Playstation ever be viable. Spencer said in a leaked email that Microsoft would kill Gamepass if they didn't reach 100mil subscribers by 2026, which was never happening. Games subscriptions are not like movie subscriptions

Last edited:

GHG

To be fair, Gamepass was the only chance for them to stay competitive in the console market. Who would own an Xbox if wasn't for Gamepass? I don't think they ever thought Sony would follow suit because no way would two gamepass subscription services between Xbox and Playstation ever be viable. Spencer said in a leaked email that Microsoft would kill Gamepass if they didn't reach 100mil subscribers by 2026m, which was never happening. Games subscriptions are not like movie subscriptions

Matt Booty's emails stated otherwise.

eNT1TY

Even at $20 a month for ultimate it's cheaper than buying 4 games a year, and if you buy and play only 4 games a year spread throughout the year you can accomplish that with gamepass for a bit more than the price of 1 retail game by just paying for the month the game is on while playing the abundance of f2p options during off months. It is actually the most consumer friendly service in gaming, but few saw the true value being offered. I feel when all is said and done and the "final" iteration of the dominant service is upon us, regardless of who is providing it, will not offer anywhere near as much content as GP does at a similar price points.

I'm looking forward to seeing where all of this takes Microsoft in 6 months time. I think they'll just become a third party publisher with an expensive streaming platform. This talk of the next Xbox is just that at the moment, I just can't see another console happening which would be disappointing.

MS need to let Phil Spencer go as soon as possible, the only good thing that I remember coming from his time there was the Xbox One X.

Killjoy-NL

To be fair, Gamepass was the only chance for them to stay competitive in the console market. Who would own an Xbox if wasn't for Gamepass? I don't think they ever thought Sony would follow suit because no way would two gamepass subscription services between Xbox and Playstation ever be viable. Spencer said in a leaked email that Microsoft would kill Gamepass if they didn't reach 100mil subscribers by 2026, which was never happening. Games subscriptions are not like movie subscriptions
It actually said they would kill Xbox if they didn't reach 100M subs by 2027.

LordCBH

Well well well. I’ve only been saying for years it was gonna happen. If they drop cod on the service this year, they’ll raise the prices RIGHT before it hits.

XXL

Just so everyone is aware, if the new CODs indeed do go to GamePass Day 1.....the price increase will be substantial.

Pelta88

I’m guessing the debate about GP being profitable is over. Finally.

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised to hear Nadella sold the COD marketing rights back to PS for the next decade. For posterity reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: XXL

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well well well. I’ve only been saying for years it was gonna happen. If they drop cod on the service this year, they’ll raise the prices RIGHT before it hits.
Yeah, probably restructure it all to make it so that only Ultimate get day 1 releases and the price of that will go up 20%. Might be in another shit storm if they do that though.

LordCBH

Yeah, probably restructure it all to make it so that only Ultimate get day 1 releases and the price of that will go up 20%. Might be in another shit storm if they do that though.

Eventually, I think day one releases stop altogether. But I do think they strip it back to Ultimate Only for a while

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m out if they do.

I like it plenty and use it, but if it’s just going to climb without more first party games coming in worth playing then I don’t see the value at that point.

I called it as soon as the Activision deal went through. How do you expect them to cover their losses if they keep it at the same price? Plus, Microsoft does not care about its Xbox audience.

Don Mattrick got so much shit, but Phil Spencer has done a much worse job.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The most I would pay for PC GamePass is 15 bucks, and only if they keep day and date for indies and 3rd party games. Don't really care about 1st party cuz I end up buying those games on Steam anyways if they interest me that much.

IMO, Gamepass real value is in finding hidden gems and trying games I would have never thought to buy. The moment that's no longer a thing is the day I unsub.

Top Bottom