• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre |OT| ....the birthplace of Bela Lugosi

Roberts

It sounds accidental because he wanted it to be viewed as a black comedy and there's only licensed characters from the first film. Maybe they can get more from the second film providing the game is a success. I'll be getting it myself in 2 days or so.
Yeah, you could say that the film does play like a black comedy, but the way it is shot and edited makes it almost feel like somebody accidentally crafted a particularly creepy art film. It never feels particularly scary, but neither it is ever goofy. The game is definitely goofy, but it kind of fits with the gameplay, I think.

kunonabi

Game was fun in the first few days, now its ruined by cheaters, rushers and toxic teabaggers. Really sad. The cheating in this game is insane, if they dont do something ASAP it will kill this game fast. I watched sequisha yesterday and he had a cheater like every other match. So fucking sad. Game is great with obvious problems but the players destroying it.

Also the door slamming perma stun is dumb af too. Poor leatherface getting bullied in the basement all the time
Yeah, the door stuns is a big problem. The door should stop being usable for stuns after the first time you use it. Leatherface can destroy them sure but with the current pace of the game that's a big ask. Cheaters should be a simple, if time consuming, fix so I'm not too worried on that end as annoying as they are. Rushing is probably the most complex issue but there are lot of variables there so I wouldn't them to rush out any changes. Maybe limit tool boxes to just one tool for starters. Connie will have to be rebalanced though. Personally, I think the valve escape should be looked at. Considering how many of the handles are on the map think the family should be able to discard them after shutting the valve off.

Maybe they can get more from the second film providing the game is a success.
They said it's not impossible, they just basically need to get hollywood's attention and make it seem worth it; so as long as people are playing in large numbers it will probably get more content.
For maps they could add texas battle land and the radio station from TCM2, the house from TCM 2003, the house and carnival from TCM3D and the house/little town from TCM2022.

Not sure if we need actor likenesses though, I think only the other looks for leather face would be cool; new characters could just be originals imo.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Really enjoying the game, but a few things need to be addressed.

Phase 1 needs to be slowed down. There should be no reason people are already escaping the basement while the cutscene is still playing. Vice versa, there should be no reason the killers feed grandpa within the first 60 seconds. Even with a blood harvest build, the max speed of the first phase should be minimum 2 min past the initial cutscenes. Maybe they can put the abilities on CD at the start of all matches.

It isn't fun as a victim or a killer.

The hacking is also pretty bad, but less so on consoles. At least I have onyl ran into two hackers so far. I play evenly between victim and killer.

Luipadre

Devs are really slow with updates sadly. It took them almost a week to address 1 server bug and there are many other networking and client issues that needs to be patched asap. They made a really fun game when you get legit matches, but they need to fix these issues fast or people will just stop playing

Phase 1 needs to be slowed down. There should be no reason people are already escaping the basement while the cutscene is still playing.
This only happens with a very lucky spawn + connie, because you still need to walk around and get a tool, and no other victims are smashing through a lock before any cutscene is over.
I think that part is fine for now, because family also has to set up some defences first; if the victims don't get to move before the family do then it will just get extremely family lopsided very quickly. Turn on the batter/set traps, have 1 guard the more popular basement exits, have 1 gather blood; have some shit spawns for tools and you can do all that before the first tool has even been found.

I've run into groups that don't even set up any defences, they just make a dash for their closest basement entrance and immediately start patrolling that area while leatherface runs around.
Vice versa, there should be no reason the killers feed grandpa within the first 60 seconds.
I think the feeding is fine, the problem is more how quickly sissy/cook can get him to level 5, it should just require more blood to get to level 5.

kunonabi

Eh, now that victims are attacking grandpa regularly and lowering his level I think the blood harvesting is fine. Matches could really drag if they slowed it down.

Hunter 99

I actually enjoyed it for a week or so but yesterday I played as victims like for 2 hours and didn't win one game.
I feel its getting tougher and tougher and the family are pretty much see you and your dead.
If you manage to get out the basement I'm usually screwed as sissy and hitchhiker stab me to death as soon as I'm in the open area.
Don't know if you can post this here but I'm down for setting up a team of 3 ( 4 including me) with voice chat to see if we can progress and win matches with communication.
I'm in the UK btw
will be satisfying to get a good team together and just have some fun.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
This only happens with a very lucky spawn + connie, because you still need to walk around and get a tool, and no other victims are smashing through a lock before any cutscene is over.

Seems to happen to about 70% of the matches I play. 20% are Family feeding Gramps within the first min. Then the last 10% are "normal" games for me.

I think that part is fine for now, because family also has to set up some defences first; if the victims don't get to move before the family do then it will just get extremely family lopsided very quickly. Turn on the batter/set traps, have 1 guard the more popular basement exits, have 1 gather blood; have some shit spawns for tools and you can do all that before the first tool has even been found.
I definitely don't want the family to have an advantage, hence why I think that both the rushing for killers and victims should be slowed down, just a bit, for the first phase. Victims should still be able to move during the cutscene, but I think that "rushing" escape and tools without worry of noise should be a bit more restictive. Have too much noise like that wake gramps up faster. Nerf Connies ability so she can't just brute force locks like she currently can. But also nerf blood harvest builds at the start. Maybe a ramp where your blood harvesting gets better/bowels get more full over the course of a match.

I've run into groups that don't even set up any defences, they just make a dash for their closest basement entrance and immediately start patrolling that area while leatherface runs around.

I think the feeding is fine, the problem is more how quickly sissy/cook can get him to level 5, it should just require more blood to get to level 5.
I do notice a lot of Sissy/Whats-his-face players never properly trap, but if a team has a cook, he tends to do his job insanely well.

kunonabi

Seems to happen to about 70% of the matches I play. 20% are Family feeding Gramps within the first min. Then the last 10% are "normal" games for me.

I definitely don't want the family to have an advantage, hence why I think that both the rushing for killers and victims should be slowed down, just a bit, for the first phase. Victims should still be able to move during the cutscene, but I think that "rushing" escape and tools without worry of noise should be a bit more restictive. Have too much noise like that wake gramps up faster. Nerf Connies ability so she can't just brute force locks like she currently can. But also nerf blood harvest builds at the start. Maybe a ramp where your blood harvesting gets better/bowels get more full over the course of a match.

I do notice a lot of Sissy/Whats-his-face players never properly trap, but if a team has a cook, he tends to do his job insanely well.
Sissy's traps kind of suck outside of the health potions. They don't mark the survivor or give any indication that someone sprung them. They really don't hinder the survivor much at all so you're better off using her poison for other things.

I love how easy it is to die as a victim. It makes all of your movements and decisions more important. It’s much different than DbD where you get numerous chances. In this game you fuck up once and your match can be over. But the same goes for family. It requires communication or bad victims to win, otherwise victims can easily escape.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Sissy's traps kind of suck outside of the health potions. They don't mark the survivor or give any indication that someone sprung them. They really don't hinder the survivor much at all so you're better off using her poison for other things.

I mean more for anything. Typically when I play with Randoms the sissy doesn't user her poison, at all. Or she just does it completely randomly with no rhyme or reason.

I love how easy it is to die as a victim. It makes all of your movements and decisions more important. It’s much different than DbD where you get numerous chances. In this game you fuck up once and your match can be over. But the same goes for family. It requires communication or bad victims to win, otherwise victims can easily escape.

I like how victims have far more ways to dodge and maneuver. In DBD you have pallets and windows and maybe a locker, but those rarely ever work from my experience. So survivor in DBD is mostly just rotating who is going to kite the killer around a loop for a bit while others do their thing. In Texas it feels like every action is far more important and you have to make use of your enviornment a lot more than use the same tactic over and over again. Normally I hate playing as the survivor in these kinds of games, but I really enjoy it here in Texas!

kunonabi

I mean more for anything. Typically when I play with Randoms the sissy doesn't user her poison, at all. Or she just does it completely randomly with no rhyme or reason.
Well randoms in TCM have some of the strangest decision making I've seen in awhile. Her poison is so good I can't imagine not using it. Especially now that I get it leveled up, it slows them down, does damage over time, and gives me a stamina boost along with poison dealing melee attacks to boot.

It did take me awhile to start using it in the right spots. It's got much quicker startup and longer range than it looks.

A victim just tossed me to the ground, teabagged me, and ran to the escape where the whole team was just waiting to clown us.
those are just dbd streamer sweats, I've ran into only one when I played family and I just don't engage; it's just an annoying waste of time really, but they think they are being so funny and amazing, it's sad really.

kunonabi

I really hate how Leatherface and sissy/Hitchhiker players refuse to go upstairs in the family house. It makes it impossible to stop victims from getting out through the basement exit.

I thought I’d never get the Fixer achievement but this morning on Family House I got Fixer (open pressure valve, fix fuse, and turn generator off all in one match) AND the Sally achievement for leaping out the window and running down the driveway AND the achievement for four person escape on every map, all in one match. It really helped that the Hitchhiker user DC’d after a couple people escaped.

I think Julie is my main, she’s very good. Also been going back to Sissy on the family side. First person I got to level 10, but I didn’t invest any into her poison utilities. Now I move faster after I walk through my clouds and my melee attacks can inflict poison. It’s great.

kunonabi

Lol, just had a match where I turned on the battery at the family house, ran straight to the front door and Connie picked it just as I got there. Literally, nothing we could do about it. They also need to give rid of super safe pressure tank spawns with bone piles right next to them.

Turns out hacking is just as big a thing on Playstation somehow. Just played a PS group who were completely invulnerable to attacks.

Last edited:
Every couple days I turn on the console hoping to see a patch for this game but still nothing... XP still not counting 90% of games, Hackers still looming.

Kings Field

As a cook and hitchhiker main me and my friends and as a family only player, we have had long conversations about the game and what the family needs to do to win. The biggest mistake we were making espeically on slaughterhouse was trapping/locking the actual generator/battery and the actual exits. This is the wrong and will only hurt the family in the long run. I came up with optimal Cook lock placements on each map , that with proper communication locks the map down and cuts it in half almost, especially the slaughterhouse map which we thought was very victim favorable. After utilizing these strats we go numerous games with no victims escaping and slow the game down significantly to a snails pace which benefits family. If you utilize these lock placements on family house, it turns into a massacre basically as the only escape is by them jumping out window.

I will also do a hitchhiker trap placement maps soon but he is more lenient on every map except for slaughterhouse.

Here are my Cook lock maps:

ez2qUJ0.jpg
R6heE0I.jpg
OI1fO7D.jpg

Last edited:

Danknugz

Every couple days I turn on the console hoping to see a patch for this game but still nothing... XP still not counting 90% of games, Hackers still looming.
it's not that you don't get XP. everyone doesn't understand this for some reason - the end screen is just glitchy and shows you get more xp than you should have, you still get the xp you earned.

kunonabi

As a cook and hitchhiker main me and my friends and as a family only player, we have had long conversations about the game and what the family needs to do to win. The biggest mistake we were making espeically on slaughterhouse was trapping/locking the actual generator/battery and the actual exits. This is the wrong and will only hurt the family in the long run. I came up with optimal Cook lock placements on each map , that with proper communication locks the map down and cuts it in half almost, especially the slaughterhouse map which we thought was very victim favorable. After utilizing these strats we go numerous games with no victims escaping and slow the game down significantly to a snails pace which benefits family. If you utilize these lock placements on family house, it turns into a massacre basically as the only escape is by them jumping out window.

I will also do a hitchhiker trap placement maps soon but he is more lenient on every map except for slaughterhouse.

Here are my Cook lock maps:

ez2qUJ0.jpg
R6heE0I.jpg
OI1fO7D.jpg
Yeah, trapping objectives is just kind of silly especially with bom disposal perk. The main problem with Slaughterhouse is still the valve. Covering everything else isn't so bad really. I've had a good a string of teammates and all those games have gone swimmingly especially since I turned off crossplay.

Family house really does come down just to guarding the fuse if Cook has done his job right. Well that, and the window break noise actually going off, lol. Too bad I rarely get matched up with good Cooks.

I just got my first 4K with Johnny. I figured Id have done it with Sissy since I get 3 kills with her somewhat often but here we are.

Last edited:

Luipadre

First patch finally dropping tomorrow.

We have a rapid patch incoming early tomorrow (Eastern US time), September 5th, 2023. There may be some level of staggered deployment across different platforms due to the patch coming in hot.

The patch will address the following issues:

PATCH NOTES

• Fixed: PC stuttering on Ultra graphics settings
    • This fix resolves graphical issues when running the game on Ultra settings with appropriate hardware.
    • This also fixes an issue causing FPS drops when attacking or grappling with opponents while running the game on Ultra settings with appropriate hardware.
  • Fixed: Voice chat not working in lobbies for party members
    • This fix is for an issue where party members would lose voice chat functionality once in a lobby.
  • Fixed: XP Progression
    • This fix resolves a UI issue that would appear to rank up after every match, despite not gaining the required XP to do so.
    • This fix also resolves inaccurate XP and XP delays related to earning XP.
  • Fixed: Various Crashes and Freezes
    • This includes a PS4 crash related to unlocking trophies.
    • This also includes a fix for high level players experiencing a crash on the match results screen.
  • Changed: Key Rebinding
    • We’ve added key rebinding to the PC version of the game.
  • Changed: Lobbies will now launch with 6 players
    • This change should help lobbies get running smoother, quicker, and with less drops due to incomplete lobbies.
    • Leatherface is STILL required for a match.
  • Changed: Quick Match Menu
    • We’ve moved Quick Match to the top of the menu options when looking to join games.
    • Quick Match will result in not only quicker matchmaking into a lobby, but also fuller lobbies.
  • Changed: PC Removed from Cross Play
    • We are temporarily separating PC from the console player base in cross play while we continue to improve our anti-cheat tools and resources.
  • Tuning: EAC and Anti Cheat Improvements
    • We have made several improvements to our anti-cheat and protection from additional cheat resources.
    • We’ve also improved our tracking and logging for cheat detection and consistent future improvement.
We also plan to run the second edition of The Muerto Times later this week to highlight the next steps for the team. Stay tuned for more on that.

Thanks for your continued support and patience!

Some interesting changes. Removing PC from crossplay temprarily is good for console players, not so much for pc. Also the 6 palyer lobby thing is weird. Who wants to play a match with 6 players? Hopefully it just means the countdown starts with 6 people

kunonabi

First patch finally dropping tomorrow.

We have a rapid patch incoming early tomorrow (Eastern US time), September 5th, 2023. There may be some level of staggered deployment across different platforms due to the patch coming in hot.

The patch will address the following issues:

PATCH NOTES

• Fixed:PC stuttering on Ultra graphics settings
    • This fix resolves graphical issues when running the game on Ultra settings with appropriate hardware.
    • This also fixes an issue causing FPS drops when attacking or grappling with opponents while running the game on Ultra settings with appropriate hardware.
  • Fixed:Voice chat not working in lobbies for party members
    • This fix is for an issue where party members would lose voice chat functionality once in a lobby.
  • Fixed:XP Progression
    • This fix resolves a UI issue that would appear to rank up after every match, despite not gaining the required XP to do so.
    • This fix also resolves inaccurate XP and XP delays related to earning XP.
  • Fixed:Various Crashes and Freezes
    • This includes a PS4 crash related to unlocking trophies.
    • This also includes a fix for high level players experiencing a crash on the match results screen.
  • Changed:Key Rebinding
    • We’ve added key rebinding to the PC version of the game.
  • Changed:Lobbies will now launch with 6 players
    • This change should help lobbies get running smoother, quicker, and with less drops due to incomplete lobbies.
    • Leatherface is STILL required for a match.
  • Changed:Quick Match Menu
    • We’ve moved Quick Match to the top of the menu options when looking to join games.
    • Quick Match will result in not only quicker matchmaking into a lobby, but also fuller lobbies.
  • Changed:PC Removed from Cross Play
    • We are temporarily separating PC from the console player base in cross play while we continue to improve our anti-cheat tools and resources.
  • Tuning:EAC and Anti Cheat Improvements
    • We have made several improvements to our anti-cheat and protection from additional cheat resources.
    • We’ve also improved our tracking and logging for cheat detection and consistent future improvement.
We also plan to run the second edition of The Muerto Times later this week to highlight the next steps for the team. Stay tuned for more on that.

Thanks for your continued support and patience!

Some interesting changes. Removing PC from crossplay temprarily is good for console players, not so much for pc. Also the 6 palyer lobby thing is weird. Who wants to play a match with 6 players? Hopefully it just means the countdown starts with 6 people
I believe that's the idea although I worry that it's just going to make harder for people to get their character and it will just encourage more dropping out of the lobby.

I already turned crossplay off because of the cheaters so I'm all for PC getting fenced off until they get things under control.

So apparently they disabled cross play with pc a few days ago? That's crazy.
Imagine having bought this to play with friends on different platforms, and now that option is just gone while they look into anti-cheat solutions; which is gonna take at least a few weeks according one of the devs...mind blowing, you're never going to stop cheaters.
I have a series X so I can just install the game there I guess, but their reaction is a stupid way to go about handling this.

Also they dropped some patch notes for the latest update
  • Changed: Battery Match Start State
    • The car battery will now start out on and be powered up by default.
    • This will help Family players get to the tasks at hand to set up for the match faster.
  • Changed: Respec in Lobby Option
    • We have removed the option to respec characters in match lobbies.
    • You can still edit the character loadouts and spend any unused skill points.
    • Respec will have to be done via the main menu now.
  • Tuned: Bone Scrap Limits
    • Bone Scrap piles are now limited to 3 uses per pile.
    • This is just one step in terms of balancing the scrap usage and frequency.

I guess those are good changes to start of with.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Glad for all these changes. Still hoping that Connie gets a nerf. They shouldn't be able to escape within 10 seconds of the Family Cutscene ending.

kunonabi

Glad for all these changes. Still hoping that Connie gets a nerf. They shouldn't be able to escape within 10 seconds of the Family Cutscene ending.
Yeah, I've had several matches now that we're over as soon as the game started. I think a lot of things need to happen to slow down the victim rush though not just Connie.

19 September patch notes:

• Fixed: Sissy Poison Attacks
    • This bug resulted in all Sissy attacks having a poison effect.
    • Sissy’s normal attacks will no longer have a poison effect.
    • Special Blend can still provide a poison attack only on her next strike.
    • Rubber Legs can still slow down Victims already affected by poison.
  • Fixed: Players Blocking Themselves
    • We’ve resolved an issue where a player could block themselves resulting in matchmaking issues and errors.
  • Changed: Fusebox Locations on Slaughterhouse
    • The Fusebox will no longer spawn next to the Slaughterhouse door.
    • We have replaced that with a new spawn on the side of the shed near the valve exit gate.
  • Changed: Valve Handle Spawns on Slaughterhouse
    • We’ve moved the spawn location of the valve handle on the side of the Garage to be in a more high traffic area.
    • We’ve moved the spawn location of the valve handle on the side of the Animal Pen to be in a more high traffic area.
  • Tuned: Efficient Grappler Perk Levels Reduced
    • This perk provides a % chance to keep scrap after a close encounter.
    • Level 1: 10% chance to keep scrap
    • Level 2: 15% chance to keep scrap
    • Level 3: 20% chance to keep scrap
  • Tuned: Efficient Backstabber Perk Levels Reduced
    • This perk provides a % chance to keep scrap after a back stab.
    • Level 1: 10% chance to keep scrap
    • Level 2: 15% chance to keep scrap
    • Level 3: 20% chance to keep scrap
  • Tuned: Connie Ability Cooldown
    • We have added to the base cooldown time for Connie’s Focused ability.
  • Tuned: Leland Ability Cooldown
    • We have added to the base cooldown time for Leland’s Life Saver ability.
  • Tuned: Escape Restraints Minigame
    • We have adjusted the minigame to escape your restraints at the start of a match.
    • It will now require slightly more taps to escape and the overall minigame will take slightly longer to complete.
    • Strength and Stealth still affect this minigame and players can build accordingly.
  • Tuned: 7 Player Requirements
    • We have reinstated the 7 player requirement for lobbies to launch.

I'm not too sure about adding cooldown to connie's ability, that's not really gonna impact her imo, most connies really only use it once per match anyway.
I guess the early game is slightly slowed down now with requiring more taps to escape.

kunonabi

19 September patch notes:

I'm not too sure about adding cooldown to connie's ability, that's not really gonna impact her imo, most connies really only use it once per match anyway.
I guess the early game is slightly slowed down now with requiring more taps to escape.
Yeah, cooldown is definitely not the problem with Connie. Sissy change is fine, she's still going to be the second best chaser after hitchhiker and slowing poison melee strikes will still be available. The Slaughterhouse changes are terrible though. Valve is now the only viable escape method so it's going to be completely family sided otherwise. I think we're very close to or at a point where the victims are going to need help.

September 26 patch notes:

• Fixed:Hitchhiker Trap Exploit
    • Fixed an exploit where Hitchhiker players could use his trap to pass through walls and doors.
  • Fixed:Hitchhiker Trap Interaction Issues
    • We’ve resolved an issue where Victims would be unable to interact with gaps, crawl spaces, and other elements after stepping in a Hitchhiker Trap.
  • Fixed:Johnny and Sissy Lunge
    • Johnny and Sissy both had a lunge that was greater than other Family members.
    • We’ve adjusted this to be more in line with the rest of the Family members.
    • This should also correct the Johnny build we’re seeing used in public matches.
  • Fixed:Brightness Cheat
    • Fixed an issue that would allow PC users to adjust their in game brightness outside of accepted levels by editing game files.
  • Changed:Hitchhiker Traps at Ladder Exits
    • We have adjusted the area at the top of a ladder where the Hitchhiker can place a trap.
    • This still allows for strategic play, but will give Victims an opportunity to counter the trap.
  • Changed:Fusebox Reset
    • The Family can now turn the fusebox off after a Victim turns it on.
    • There is a cooldown applied to the switch, similar to generators and car batteries.
  • Changed:Family Stun Immunity
    • Family now has a 10 second stun immunity period after an initial stun ends.
    • There is NO stun immunity after a Family member is stunned by a Victim bursting out of a hiding place.
    • If you attempt to stun a Family member who has immunity, you will not see the prompt for Leland’s ability or a back stab.
    • If you attempt to stun a Family member who has immunity with a door slam, it will have no effect.
    • Close Encounters all vary in duration due to the individual Family members having different stun recovery times, therefore the immunity period is different for each.
  • Tuned:Tae Kwan Door Perk Levels Reduced
    • Level 1: 5 Seconds Stun Duration
    • Level 2: 6 Seconds Stun Duration
    • Level 3: 8 Seconds Stun Duration
  • Tuned:Agitator Perk Levels Reduced
    • Level 1: 1.5 Level Family Bond Reduction
    • Level 2: 2 Level Family Bond Reduction
    • Level 3: 2.5 Level Family Bond Reduction
  • Tuned:Stealth Performance in Minigames
    • We have adjusted the amount of noise generated in gathering minigames when at full Stealth.
  • Tuned:Leland Ability Stun Duration
    • We have adjusted the stun duration upgrades for Leland’s Life Saver ability.

TL; DR stealth got wrecked, fuse box got wrecked, agitator got wrecked, family is now invulnerable for 10 seconds after a stun.

Last edited:

kunonabi

September 26 patch notes:

TL; DR stealth got wrecked, fuse box got wrecked, agitator got wrecked, family is now invulnerable for 10 seconds after a stun.
If there is a cool down before turning off the switch than it probably won't matter. If the cool down starts after the family turns it off then it's a dead option. Nerfing stealth when victims already refuse to be stealthy is a terrible choice.

Danknugz

after last nights patch it feels like they went to heavy handed in nerfing victims, was really struggling to stay undetected and escape after the patch. even level 50 stealth they nerfed.

glad i already got my 100 escapes. never played as family but looks like now might be the good time to do that seeing as it's basically unfair to play as victim now.

I will buy all of it, even that $17 Bubba. Game is really really good, especially now that they have nerfed getting stun locked.

kunonabi

Those prices are complete BS. It sucks that awful monetization is hitting asym games so hard all of a sudden. I give Dbd a lot of shit, which it deserves, but they are way better about this than everybody else. I don't think that premium price is going to hold either. There's no way a licensed character with an actor's likeness is going to be as cheap as some special effects guy's sketch he scribbled out over breakfast.

Lately killers seem to know exactly where you are and i've seen a few victims turn invisible and open locks instantly. Also, the last few patches have somehow nerfed vitims even though there were already at a huge disadvantge. It's not rare to go 20 matches and only escape once if you are up against skilled killers. Definitly some balance issues and hacking at play which is making the game much less fun then it was at launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom