• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre |OT| ....the birthplace of Bela Lugosi

kunonabi

How so? Just curious. It's bound to happen unfortunately. I hope that they're able to improve the anti-cheat.
Match started, I was in the loading docks on the slaughter house map so I started the battery, grabbed some blood, and then opened the first door into the building. Immediately there were 3 victims right there and there wasn't even an alert from grandpa that someone had escaped.

dem

Played a few hours of this now..

The maps are just so confusing to me. Apparently I have no sense of direction.

I love this game. I’ve tried everything and don’t think you can go wrong, it’s fun from a lot of angles. I’ve had to figure out quite a bit which has made it fun, but I wish there was a little bit of a stronger tutorial.

I just hit level 10 Hitchhiker and wow.

I’m excited to level up the characters and see what you can do. I just don’t know if that’s going to happen.

I picked it up on PS5 and I’m happy it’s on GamePass because 95% of players I’ve seen are on other platforms.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Trying playing more as the family if you haven't. I have a much better sense of the maps now especially since they can focus and see where the important spots are. I was totally lost as a victim in the beginning.

Great, the hackers are already doing their thing.
Yeah I saw some stuff on reddit with family teleporting to victims and insta-killing them, and being able to jump; sad.

Just keep playing, you'll get a feel for it eventually; also I feel it's a part of the thrill to get chased without knowing where go initially.

Edit:
For those who don't know, they did a bit of viral marketing for this game and it culminated in this other game called "Petals", it basically functions as a prequel to the game and explains why the victims have been captured:

Last edited:
Still getting screwed with the XP glitch. Can’t level up without extreme luck by waiting out each match to the very end. 🤬. Two nights in a row where 90% of my games didn’t count. Hope they fix this soon.
Other than that liking the game so far.

Downloaded, but haven't tried it yet. It looks fun from the streams I've seen, but I can also see myself getting really lost in some of these maps.
Even the streamers that have played a ton of games seem to get lost pretty easy.

This is the fastest game I had yet.
Escaped from the restraints, got a tool right where I spawned, then started looking for a bone shard and the connie had already gone upstairs and the others followed; they managed to get a fuse very quickly and opened the basement exit while I was moving towards the door connie had opened lol:

So I was like, wtf and just ran for the exit, the connie stayed behind because the others wouldn't make it down in time.

She then went back up, stabbed grandpa ( I don't think he was even level 1 yet lol), ran down to the basement door, while the leland opened the door and the julie dropped down the well next to the door; I think the whole thing took less than 3 minutes

jm4PPF4.png

Everybody was on different platforms and there was no talking in-game, so either they were in a group chat somewhere else, or just very lucky set of events from high level players.

Kings Field

As a big fan of F13 I was initially disappointed with TCM but then it clocked and I’ve been slaughtering everybody and anybody even solo. Nothing feels better than gutting Connie in the basement. If I’m playing with my friends it’s usually a wrap unless we are facing a good team. Sissy is easily the best killer in the game followed by Hitchhiker.

xp requirements get a bit silly after level 12; I'm level 15 now and it takes about 10 games to go up 1 level; so basically you're allowed to level up one character reasonably quickly, but then it just slows to an insane crawl.
I hope they remedy this.

Luipadre

xp requirements get a bit silly after level 12; I'm level 15 now and it takes about 10 games to go up 1 level; so basically you're allowed to level up one character reasonably quickly, but then it just slows to an insane crawl.
I hope they remedy this.

Yeah its pretty insane and it makes the lobby dodging even worse because people are leaving if they cant get their precious leveled up character...

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Is this another one of those online only multiplayer games where you have to gather gas, repair a car, or block off a door while running from the killer? I wish we could get single player games about these 80's slasher villains like Alien Isolation.

kunonabi

I hope they remedy this.

Character progression and leveling is all kinds of wack unfortunately. Like there isn't much point to having to different load outs when you can't have a different skill tree setup for each one. It's also kind of bunk that you have to level up perks character by character. Rerolling for the random perks you want is also annoying especially since the pool is so limited. The system basically forces you to respec every time you want to play a character since getting enough skill points for each character is such a grind. I mean getting enough for 2 characters isn't so bad but once you get past 3 it's going to absolutely miserable.

It's better than dbd but still could be so much better.

What does stabbing Grandpa do? Lowers his level?
There's a perk that lowers it another level per level, maxed out you can lower it by 4 levels in one stab.
Character progression and leveling is all kinds of wack unfortunately. Like there isn't much point to having to different load outs when you can't have a different skill tree setup for each one. It's also kind of bunk that you have to level up perks character by character. Rerolling for the random perks you want is also annoying especially since the pool is so limited. The system basically forces you to respec every time you want to play a character since getting enough skill points for each character is such a grind. I mean getting enough for 2 characters isn't so bad but once you get past 3 it's going to absolutely miserable.

It's better than dbd but still could be so much better.

Yeah all of this, load outs are useless, leveling perks per character sucks and rerolling is just a time waster.
I really felt like they thought there is more longevity by having this artificial grind for levels; but it's honestly just having the opposite effect, I want to level all the characters, but it's really hard to win matches against fully leveled killers that are partied up, you're basically forced into getting carried by others if you can't play your mains.
And then even if you win the amount of XP is sooo little, it still feels like you've not moved the needle on leveling up; XP should really be 3-4 times what it is now IMO.

Luipadre

lmao just watched lirik and this was so funny. He literally stunlocked leatherface for minutes. Leatherface started to run away from him as a family member, because he couldnt rev his chainsaw and he kept stabbing him, It was funny af

Twitch clip

Last edited:

Robochobo

Family House out of any map is absolutely awful to play as victim unless you get a seal team six squad or the family is eating crayons. It's becoming harder and harder to win on it just due to needing to communicate well, which most don't, and try to distract one or two family members so the others on the team can progress. I've quite literally told my team, "Hey I'm jumping out the front window and I have two of them chasing me to the backyard, go work on something." Only to end up falling down a well and noticing that two of them are still in the basement 4 minutes in, and one of them is getting murdered by the leftover killer. Every other map I can at least consistently escape by myself without help but on that map it feels helpless.

kunonabi

Family House out of any map is absolutely awful to play as victim unless you get a seal team six squad or the family is eating crayons. It's becoming harder and harder to win on it just due to needing to communicate well, which most don't, and try to distract one or two family members so the others on the team can progress. I've quite literally told my team, "Hey I'm jumping out the front window and I have two of them chasing me to the backyard, go work on something." Only to end up falling down a well and noticing that two of them are still in the basement 4 minutes in, and one of them is getting murdered by the leftover killer. Every other map I can at least consistently escape by myself without help but on that map it feels helpless.
I feel gas station is far worse assuming the family aren't complete idiots. Family House feels the most balance to me since slaughter house is so victim sided.

Of course, my teammates just follow me around like puppy dogs so I haven't had a competitive match in awhile.

Family House out of any map is absolutely awful to play as victim unless you get a seal team six squad or the family is eating crayons.
Yeah it's really overtuned for the family, I mean you go to that one garden exit and you STILL have to go through the house, just wtf; Cook and sissy are super powerful on that map cause cook can just lock two of the main doors and Sissy can gather blood crazy fast.
There really should be an extra exit out of the garden that doesn't lead into the house, that would fix a lot for the victims

Lots of new players and the game doesn't really have a good tutorial to figure out how things work.

I've seen some decent players stuck in the basement trying to figure out what to do, so just give it time and be patient. At least for me, just watching, I'm lost af. It probably would be too much to ask for a minimap as I guess that would break the immersion.

Macaron

Banned
Lots of new players and the game doesn't really have a good tutorial to figure out how things work.

I've seen some decent players stuck in the basement trying to figure out what to do, so just give it time and be patient. At least for me, just watching, I'm lost af. It probably would be too much to ask for a minimap as I guess that would break the immersion.
I just had my first game as a survivor on that map and yeah, this so much. Idk how as a new person you're supposed to know what to do? Lol the people playing the family I think sucked and it still was a horribleeee experience trying to navigate what to do and where to go. Hoping other maps are better and the game gets more fun as I pick up on what to do/where to go.

Robochobo

Yeah it's really overtuned for the family
I've basically reserved myself to playing Ana, making as much of a nuisance as possible, then throwing myself out the front window so hopefully at least two of thr killers will chase me all the way to the back exit gate before I fall down a well. It's the best way to get them out of the house as they can't leave you alone and the other 3 can have an easier time inside the house without running into a killer every corner.

I feel gas station is far worse assuming the family aren't complete idiots. Family House feels the most balance to me since slaughter house is so victim sided.

Of course, my teammates just follow me around like puppy dogs so I haven't had a competitive match in awhile.
Gas station to me is much easier. Valve is located up top without needing to unlock exit gates, and the fuse is there too although risky. I just wait for a killer to check a gate, then run off, and only finish one lockpick section at a time before hiding again and waiting for a rotation. Once they swing back round, repeat, then they have to worry about a gate being open.

Danknugz

There's a perk that lowers it another level per level, maxed out you can lower it by 4 levels in one stab.

Yeah all of this, load outs are useless, leveling perks per character sucks and rerolling is just a time waster.
I really felt like they thought there is more longevity by having this artificial grind for levels; but it's honestly just having the opposite effect, I want to level all the characters, but it's really hard to win matches against fully leveled killers that are partied up, you're basically forced into getting carried by others if you can't play your mains.
And then even if you win the amount of XP is sooo little, it still feels like you've not moved the needle on leveling up; XP should really be 3-4 times what it is now IMO.
load outs aren't completely useless, for example you might want to have one more geared towards endurance on the house level where the generator is all the way across the level from the associated exit.

kunonabi

I've basically reserved myself to playing Ana, making as much of a nuisance as possible, then throwing myself out the front window so hopefully at least two of thr killers will chase me all the way to the back exit gate before I fall down a well. It's the best way to get them out of the house as they can't leave you alone and the other 3 can have an easier time inside the house without running into a killer every corner.

Gas station to me is much easier. Valve is located up top without needing to unlock exit gates, and the fuse is there too although risky. I just wait for a killer to check a gate, then run off, and only finish one lockpick section at a time before hiding again and waiting for a rotation. Once they swing back round, repeat, then they have to worry about a gate being open.
Thing is if they're patrolling properly with good spawns they can keep an eye on the fusebox and pressure tank without much trouble and the gate exits are super close. Slaughterhouse you're almost completely screwed with the pressure tank being underground. Family house has the fusebox upstairs with the basement exit being super close to the stairs.

Like the gas station really shouldn't be hard at all even with the BS fifth exit.

Robochobo

Thing is if they're patrolling properly with good spawns they can keep an eye on the fusebox and pressure tank without much trouble and the gate exits are super close. Slaughterhouse you're almost completely screwed with the pressure tank being underground. Family house has the fusebox upstairs with the basement exit being super close to the stairs.

Like the gas station really shouldn't be hard at all even with the BS fifth exit.
Pressure tank underground is good. Just release it, run off and if one of them doesn't stop it another has to try and guard the gate, so it's another 3v2 regardless of if they go downstairs or not. I actually just escaped on gas station my first match with 2 other survivors dying in the first 2 minutes (less than 300 score combined). Yet I still hold the same complaints about the house. I have a 59-41 escape/death stat which isn’t anything to showboat, but the majority of those is from family House which in my opinion is far easier to patrol than either match. Fusebox as I understand only spawns upstairs, so it's easy to watch the side stair entrance, and the backdoor without having to move or do much. Once you have someone just check the 2 front entrances/stairs, the other can freely roam. It's the only map where the valve spawns outside of reach when you leave basement, so there's no worry while playing Family that someone might open the valve exit.

kunonabi

Pressure tank underground is good. Just release it, run off and if one of them doesn't stop it another has to try and guard the gate, so it's another 3v2 regardless of if they go downstairs or not. I actually just escaped on gas station my first match with 2 other survivors dying in the first 2 minutes (less than 300 score combined). Yet I still hold the same complaints about the house. I have a 59-41 escape/death stat which isn’t anything to showboat, but the majority of those is from family House which in my opinion is far easier to patrol than either match. Fusebox as I understand only spawns upstairs, so it's easy to watch the side stair entrance, and the backdoor without having to move or do much. Once you have someone just check the 2 front entrances/stairs, the other can freely roam. It's the only map where the valve spawns outside of reach when you leave basement, so there's no worry while playing Family that someone might open the valve exit.
Yeah, I don't think I've seen a pressure valve attempt at the family house since the first day. 90% of escapes have been the basement.

drotahorror

I haven't dove into this yet, I want to but only played a couple games.

Looks like you can shit on killers pretty hard. Looks fun. These are some clips of really good DBD players playing TCM:

Doom85

I had a match that ended exactly like the movie, victim jumped out of the window and then ran for the main road while leatherface and hitchhiker were chasing.

If you’re saying it ended like the movie, then there better have been a random truck driver who proceeds to run over the hitchhiker and then kick Leatherface’s ass.

I’ve put in a ton of games. It seems pretty victim sided, especially if they communicate. The Slaughterhouse and Gas Station levels especially.

Some of the achievements seem almost impossible, too. The kill a victim within thirty seconds seems like it’s only possible with Bubba and only possible playing against idiots. And then the ten gallow executions, yikes.

Game is fun though.

If you’re saying it ended like the movie, then there better have been a random truck driver who proceeds to run over the hitchhiker and then kick Leatherface’s ass.
Unfortunately the game stops right as you step on to the road, so no truck to destroy hitchhiker.
The killer can chase for a bit though, so it would make for a nice little cutscene if you do escape that way.

I have it downloaded, but still haven't tried it yet.
Is there a way to do a custom game with just friends on both sides?

Edit: And most importantly, is there a way to T-bag you friends if you are able to kill them as the family.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I have it downloaded, but still haven't tried it yet.
Is there a way to do a custom game with just friends on both sides?

Edit: And most importantly, is there a way to T-bag you friends if you are able to kill them as the family.
There is a private lobby option that supposedly can be played with just friends. Most of the family can't crouch so teabagging isn't really a thing. Even the victims can't do it all that effectively.

Roberts

I have only seen Tobe Hooper's 1974 (most likely accidental) masterpiece which I love dearly but when it comes to the tone and the mood, the game is very different. That said, I played a few matches and even though it is not my kind of game, I actually had tons of fun playing on team family and I think I will come back. Another win for GP.

Luipadre

Game was fun in the first few days, now its ruined by cheaters, rushers and toxic teabaggers. Really sad. The cheating in this game is insane, if they dont do something ASAP it will kill this game fast. I watched sequisha yesterday and he had a cheater like every other match. So fucking sad. Game is great with obvious problems but the players destroying it.

Also the door slamming perma stun is dumb af too. Poor leatherface getting bullied in the basement all the time

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I have only seen Tobe Hooper's 1974 (most likely accidental) masterpiece which I love dearly but when it comes to the tone and the mood, the game is very different. That said, I played a few matches and even though it is not my kind of game, I actually had tons of fun playing on team family and I think I will come back. Another win for GP.
It sounds accidental because he wanted it to be viewed as a black comedy and there's only licensed characters from the first film. Maybe they can get more from the second film providing the game is a success. I'll be getting it myself in 2 days or so.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Game was fun in the first few days, now its ruined by cheaters, rushers and toxic teabaggers. Really sad. The cheating in this game is insane, if they dont do something ASAP it will kill this game fast. I watched sequisha yesterday and he had a cheater like every other match. So fucking sad. Game is great with obvious problems but the players destroying it.

Also the door slamming perma stun is dumb af too. Poor leatherface getting bullied in the basement all the time
Yo this game is DOA already? What the FUCK. Should've got on it day 1.

Top Bottom