• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre |OT| ....the birthplace of Bela Lugosi

cormack12

Gold Member
ySRxsqm.jpg

pk056o5.jpg

bwllbcwm75hb1.jpg

91nQLOG.jpg

Fc6zpUZ.jpg

L1yxhaH.jpg

LXpl0ES.jpg

gPEacak.jpg

texas-chainsaw-massacre-release-times.jpg

u33Fwl9.jpg

VN1X

Banned
So, this is a Dead By Daylight-like right? Personally I never really got the appeal of that but I can appreciate what they've done with their game and the amount of success its garnered.

If this is similar but less, I dunno, chaotic? obtrusive? and more streamlined then I'd be interested in giving it a go.

EDIT: Oh IGN has a review up.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Game was looking really solid from early buyers. Too bad Gun shut down the servers because people were bitching on the discord.

So, this is a Dead By Daylight-like right? Personally I never really got the appeal of that but I can appreciate what they've done with their game and the amount of success its garnered.

If this is similar but less, I dunno, chaotic? obtrusive? and more streamlined then I'd be interested in giving it a go.

EDIT: Oh IGN has a review up.

Ugh sounds perfect for gamepass

M.W.

Played the beta, not a fan. Will try the full game out on GP though. See if it's any better.

Forsythia

Just played my first match. And goddamnit, these games are all the same. F13th, Evil Dead, this... I wonder which horror IP they'll turn into one of these exciting and original asymmetrical multiplayer games next. Child's Play? Hellraiser? Halloween?

Kakax11

Banned
It's an alright game, i thought there was a story mode but it's all Co-op survival so i'll just skip it for now

i survived my 1st match

Played one game, tried my best to be stealthy, someone got killed far away from me, tried opening a door and escape, but as soon as I did leathetface was on me and then the others showed up and I died; it felt like they were camping the exits or something?
Also you really have no idea of where to go as a victim, which in a say is kinda cool I guess, since it mimics the source material? But it's also supposed to be a videogame and you don't want your players to feel completely lost.
The map layout should have some more things that feel more obvious for players; as it is now, the matchups feel completely lopsided, until victim players memorise the map.

Evil dead completely stomps this imo (and any other in the genre tbh), but I'm still a bit intrigued, there might be something good here.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Downloaded this and tried this game and it reaffirmed that this type of gameplay is boring as shit to me. Didn’t even make it through one match of trying to find the victims.

Looks really good and the atmosphere is pretty great though.

Played one game, tried my best to be stealthy, someone got killed far away from me, tried opening a door and escape, but as soon as I did leathetface was on me and then the others showed up and I died; it felt like they were camping the exits or something?
Also you really have no idea of where to go as a victim, which in a say is kinda cool I guess, since it mimics the source material? But it's also supposed to be a videogame and you don't want your players to feel completely lost.
The map layout should have some more things that feel more obvious for players; as it is now, the matchups feel completely lopsided, until victim players memorise the map.

Evil dead completely stomps this imo (and any other in the genre tbh), but I'm still a bit intrigued, there might be something good here.

There are loads of tutorial videos in the main menu. I think most people will get the hang of it pretty quickly, the maps just take getting used to. People caught on super quick in the tech tests.

I only had time for one match this morning, played as Sissy and got three kills 😁

So the game has been available to play the last 4 hours or so…DownloadEd it and started playing (or trying to).
Got into my first game in 3 minutes. Was the only survivor to escape. Then spent over 15 minutes waiting in the Quick match search. Hopefully, the match times improve as the day goes on.
Haven’t even been able to try the family yet. Got lost in the basement more often than expected. So far….Good Atmosphere, Sound, decent controls.
Bad match finding times (10+ minutes is a bit long). Can usually jump into FT13th within 2-3 minutes even now.
Key Phrase of the day would be: “WTF am I supposed to go?!” 😄

kunonabi

Yeah, I'm getting in no problem. Matches have been super exciting although it would be nice if my teammates would live for longer than 2 minutes. Grandpa also levels up way faster than I was expecting.

Laieon

Downloaded this and tried this game and it reaffirmed that this type of gameplay is boring as shit to me. Didn’t even make it through one match of trying to find the victims.

Looks really good and the atmosphere is pretty great though.

Playing as the killer has always been boring in these kinds of games to me, but I absolutely love playing the victim - if only to see how long I can personally survive.

I haven't played Texas Chainsaw yet, but it's from the same developers of Friday the 13th and while that was at a very surface level the same genre, I felt like the approached it from opposite directions. While I haven't played DBD in years, I tried it around the same time I was really into Friday the 13th and I felt like DBD was closer to a "Final Destination - No Items" approach in the sense that it (and it's community) were a lot more serious, while Friday (and it's community) was more than happy with just having fun. Friday was chaotic, but not in a way that stressed me out and more in a way that just really embraced the franchise itself.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Yeah, Dbd is more of an arena sport with a horror theme while stuff like Friday, F13, Ghostbusters, Evil Dead, dbz, or predator, are more about living out your very own experience. Doesn't mean people don't turn it into a sweat fest but the experiences are far more thematic and casual for the most part. Some games manage it better than others though.

mrmustard

Banned
Just played my first match. And goddamnit, these games are all the same. F13th, Evil Dead, this... I wonder which horror IP they'll turn into one of these exciting and original asymmetrical multiplayer games next. Child's Play? Hellraiser? Halloween?
Killer Klowns.

Laieon

While I'm not the biggest fan of the series (the only ones I really enjoy are 1 and New Nightmare), I think Nightmare on Elm Street could be an excellent choice. The template is already there with Dream Warriors.

Last edited:
Lots of viewers on Twitch streams right now. I'll wait to try it later tonight when my wife is asleep :)

Edit: 166k. Probably due to launch title curiosity and will be interesting to see if it has longevity.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Game is a stutterfest on PC when a killer is nearby or hit you. Gonna try the xbox version tomorrow to see if its the same shit...

Top Bottom