• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sad state of PC gaming(according to Tech Of Tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread sure is "something" lol

Well MS was getting it's ass handed to them so they had to do something.
Wasn't MS original plan as they wanted to take Playstation's place in living rooms with a windows Box.

Sony is milking older software that isn't likely to sell much more on it's consoles.
While the end result is unchanged I do think a lot of people mistake Microsoft's intentions with their move to PC. If Xbox One had been a immediate success and they hadn't sold less then half of what the competition did I don't know if they would be pursuing the same direction.

They got their asses kicked last gen, and had to change (not saying it's a bad thing). The original vision to beat Sony in the living room didn't work out and as a business they needed to do something to stay successful. Consoles have a place obviously in the ecosystem as they sold over 150m consoles not including Nintendo last gen, and I think Sony will be careful about how they proceed for awhile as they are still in "1st place" and are probably more worried about Nintendo then Microsoft. I think their current strategy of releasing older titles that have sold 90% of their life sales on PC will stay for awhile. It's smart because it gets people interested in their franchises which in the long run will get more console sales, and if it doesn't then it still makes them more money.

I'm curious to see how the future unfolds however.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
3 to 5k for a good PC? Not sure where you live, but they're nothing like that in the UK.
pricing is the one thing that is impossible to argue right now and You choose it to counter attack me ?!
My pc was 2k when it was at msrp.. now it's worth at least 3k. Friend build 3080 pc and it came to almost 4k usd and he cheaped on some stuff...

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
You’ve gotta respect PC gaming they get new parts out quick as soon as you leave the store with a new graphics card a better one is already being stocked.
There used to be a time (late 90s - early 2000s) when this was actually true. Something new and better - and actually used by concurrent titles! - every half a year or so.
It wasn't fun, let me tell you....

Nowadays, you'll be fine for many years with pretty much any decent hardware that came out within the last year or two.
I have mine since ~5 years. And will probably use crypto gains to get a new PC once the parts stop being sold way over value - and that will then also last many years again.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
pricing is the one thing that is impossible to argue right now and You choose it to counter attack me ?!
My pc was 2k when it was at msrp.. now it's worth at least 3k. Friend build 3080 pc and it came to almost 4k usd and he cheaped on some stuff...
Because it's nonsense. My friend bought this PC a few weeks ago and I think it constitutes as 'good' - and it was far less than 3 to 5k lol:
T9USwsk.jpg

The only sad thing about pc gaming right now is the out of stock gpus. FU, scalpers and miners.

Otherwise it's been great. Tons of strategy games, space Sims, flight Sims, indies of all sizes, retro fps revivals, jrpgs like tales coming over. Lots of playstation games getting ported. Great controller support.

High frame rate at 1080p. Using a mid range Turing card 2060rtx I can max everything at 1080p with Ray tracing on. Dlss upping the fps count.

Like I said though if your card dies your screwed. Been waiting since Dec 2nd for a 3060ti on evga Stepup. Have a 1650 super and 3gb 1060 for backup purposes just in case.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Friend build 3080 pc and it came to almost 4k usd and he cheaped on some stuff...
You don't need a 3080 for anything, really. Unless you want to play games at resolutions not even invented yet and a framerate beyond the hundreds (why???).
Even if you want to be able to play everything at the highest settings, a 2080 will do just fine.
Hell, I get highest setting in most games with a 1070. And that's on Linux running Windows games through WINE (compatibility layer costing about 10-20% performance).

3080 sure is future proof, but if anyone thinks they NEED it right now, they are a fool.

Last edited:
Or lots of deusional people that their ryzen 5800x with 60 GB/S DDR4 bandwidth can hold a candle to the Series X's CPU that has 336 GB/s bandwidth for future games (now they will spam 5800x performance videos, announcing their lordships over console cpus. i can see them from a mile)

II266y8.jpg

Look at them all custom chips. None of it are there for the majority of PC users. These features will only be used partially for sometime.
You're merely regurgitating a bunch of marketing buzzwords.

CPU and GPU have different tasks to fulfill, hence why they have different memory bandwidth requirements :

9DC9DBL.png

The CPU on your console has the exact same bandwidth as the CPU in your PC system, because they are both functionally the same.
GPUs need higher memory bandwidth because their many cores are designed for parallel computing while CPUs need bigger memory size for performing serial tasks.
Nowadays, the best CPUs have about 60GB/s while the best GPUs have 750GB/s memory bandwidth.

1*jmyW9rqn_qWdVx2LlLdUMQ.png

When consoles are advertising their bandwidth, they are talking about GPU bandwidth. Even an old 780ti has 336 GB/s bandwidth, which is exactly comparable to the series X.
In essence you're comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It still does fuck with USB. My keyboard input sticks sometimes due to usb issues... Many other problems
Check if your motherboard vendor has a BIOS update with AGESA 1.2.0.2 firmware. This fixes the USB dropout issue.

Him: Being playing PC games since... the beginning, and back then we just played games straight out the box.

Me: That's not how I remember it!

You always got the best performance on PC, but you had a lot of faffing about with settings, drivers, etc to get through to reach that. Its appealing when you're young or simply enjoy that sort of tweaking, but it was never the pick-up-and-play experience of a console.
I wonder if anyone here remembers setting up config.sys and autoexec.bat to get memory just right, sound working and mouse to move.

Here is what we used to have to mess with:
Config. Sys file:

Dos = high
Fileshigh=40
Buffershigh = 30,0
Lastdrivehigh=e
Device=c:\dos\himem. Sys
Device=c:\dos\emm386. Exe ram /min=0

Autoexec.bat:
Lh /l:2 c:\windows\command\mscdex /d:mscd000 /m:15 /e /s /l:d
... Smartdrv 2048 16/v
... Ega. Cpi
Lh /l:2 c:windows:mouse
Prompt $p$g
Path....
Set dircmd=/p/a.
Set blaster=a220 i5 d1 h5 p330 t6.
Set midi=synth:1 map:g

That's just a few of the commands. You had to mess with these constantly. Reorganize between extended and expanded memory (if you had more Than 640kb ram)
Mess with ports and irqs.
Edit hex files.

Pc gaming in dos was a lot of fun but plug and play, hahajajahahsha.

Windows 10 is really easy to play games compared to 30 years ago.

S0ULZB0URNE

You don't need a 3080 for anything, really. Unless you want to play games at resolutions not even invented yet and a framerate beyond the hundreds (why???).
Even if you want to be able to play everything at the highest settings, a 2080 will do just fine.
Hell, I get highest setting in most games with a 1070. And that's on Linux running Windows games through WINE (compatibility layer costing about 10-20% performance).

3080 sure is future proof, but if anyone thinks they NEED it right now, they are a fool.
TI3sGUF.jpg

Far from being close to enough for my needs.

Hinedorf

Banned
To even think PC gaming is dying can only come from the opinion of somebody who is insanely incompetent in PC hardware, software, and general information obtained on google.

The unapologetic truth is that consoles exist for dumb/lazy people. PC's are doing just fine and so are consoles.

TI3sGUF.jpg

CP 2077 is a demanding game, how are consoles faring any better?

PlayStation 5 appears to have the simplest implementation - the game seems to have the same 1188p maximum dynamic resolution output as PlayStation 4 Pro (which actually seems to operate in a 972p-1188p DRS window) but the 30fps cap on last-gen is totally removed. The end result is something very close to a locked 60 frames per second through much of the game, with only minor drops in most scenarios. However, it's not a lock - driving at speed through the city seems to hit a CPU limit with drops into the 50s.

So basically 1080p on low to medium settings. Let's compare those settings with current graphics cards:

4ik2ALqmP8aNnegRMTtWn.png

Yeah even a 220$ 1660 super gets comparable performance to a PS5.

junguler

Banned
pc gaming has come a long way and it's so good now that i was able to leave windows and continiue to play all of my favorite games on linux, the only thing that's not working is easy anti cheat games which used to work before epic bought them (fuck epic) and some minor non-steam games that i wasn't going to play anyway.

CP 2077 is a demanding game, how are consoles faring any better?

So basically 1080p on low to medium settings. Let's compare those settings with current graphics cards:

4ik2ALqmP8aNnegRMTtWn.png

Yeah even a 220$ 1660 super gets comparable performance to a PS5.
He says he been a PC player longer than me, yet constantly tries to downplay PC in every post. Most people see through this kinda bullshit already. And your 1000% right on the comparison. It's kinda stupid to use cyberpunk to show PC performance, only to have it blow up right back in his face. Just like this thread.

Sounds like you have just narrow taste or you don't know where to look.
Even the implied assumption that "every indie game is a cute retro-platformer" reeks of ignorance or misinformation, in a world where Pathfinder Kingmaker, its upcoming sequel, Mount & Blade and sequels, Battle Brothers, Solasta, Baldur's Gate 3, Disco Elysium, etc are a thing.

At some point even nostalgic old farts need to hit the brake with their relentless whine and admit it when they see it: "Yeah, this is fucking good. If this was released when I was 12 there would probably be people still masturbating over it for what an amazing classic it was even now, 30 years later".

Aside for a lot of unique and good offering in general, PC gaming is in a great place for plenty of other reasons to:
- it's never been more simple, user-friendly and approachable to use.
- games have never been cheaper on average.
- We are way past the time where every piece of hardware was outdated in few months and a good system can do its job for years.
- emulation is at its PEAK, with notable emulators becoming more sleek, intuitive and powerful than ever. Even auto-updating them is becoming a standard.
- Never before in history we've been so close to simply getting EVERYTHING on PC: PC-centric titles, console exclusives on most fronts, Japanese games that used to never leave the console market, emulation.
- Relatively new technologies like high-refresh rate monitors, G-Sync, VR, etc are broading the offering and the range of capabilities even more, focusing on high performances and high quality above anything else, not to mention conveniently (for us) pushing in the opposite direction of those other shitty trends that are detrimental to a high quality experience (fucking high latency/high compression game-by-streaming, phone gaming, etc).
The games you listed are good, but hardly pushing anything forward. BG3 is fine, but just a modded Divinity OS2 engine. Glad you enjoy those, but dude show me something jaw dropping then you can tell me to fuck off. You want a list of present and upcoming indie and mainstream games that use low resolution textures or none at all? If you don't see it then I don't know what to tell you. Right now MS FlightSim is the benchmark. There's a field of low hanging fruit in VR that's going rotten. Indie marketing is non existent and kills their product even if it is good. Games with furrys. Yea, great times best ever cowboy! The hardware is there, the talent is not (except Japan and a few here and there).

ACESHIGH

Banned
There's something about open ecosystems that really gets on the sleeves of a lot of people. Specially the gaming media. PC gaming is always on its way to die, either by laptops, i pods, smartphones, tablets, phablets, all in ones, streaming, gaming consoles, floods in far east foundries, COVID 19 or something else.

I love how folks in gaming media always associate PC gaming with having the latest and greatest. If you don't have bleeding edge HW you are not a PC gamer. Yet here I am with my old FX 6300 and GTX 760 then RX 580 PC just fine for the past 8 years. Yeah, I know that 60 FPS are out of reach in CPU heavy games but who cares? Most gamers right now still play at 30 FPS.

I do understand that the situation is terrible for someone that wants to get into PC gaming right now. But all the gaming PCs available in the world won't go obsolete all of a sudden. Your average gaming PC according to the Steam survey is at least as powerful as an Xbox one X. This is still a cross gen year. There are only a handful of AAA releases each year that push HW. You may struggle with those as years go by but for every other game you will be just fine.

Don't pay attention to these outlets just continue enjoying PC gaming.

Guilty_AI

The games you listed are good, but hardly pushing anything forward. BG3 is fine, but just a modded Divinity OS2 engine. Glad you enjoy those, but dude show me something jaw dropping then you can tell me to fuck off. You want a list of present and upcoming indie and mainstream games that use low resolution textures or none at all? If you don't see it then I don't know what to tell you. Right now MS FlightSim is the benchmark. There's a field of low hanging fruit in VR that's going rotten. Indie marketing is non existent and kills their product even if it is good. Games with furrys. Yea, great times best ever cowboy! The hardware is there, the talent is not (except Japan and a few here and there).
ok then, lets play a game in that case. I'll give you 3 games and i'll ask you to present me an AAA equivalent than can do the same stuff they do with similar or better level of complexity/quality:

1st contestant:

Important observations: i'm asking for dynamic building fire/arson/smoke simulation. Don't come here showing a game with a bunch of scripted fire/destruction like Battlefield or ARMA3, or some game where molotovs burn some grass.

2nd contestant:

Important observations: Again, don't come here with some GTA game with a city, i want something player built and functional

3rd contestant:

Important observations: I want dynamic battles, aka fully player and AI controlled. No scripted scenario bullshit. And before you bring a RTS game, keep in mind Bannerlord is a game where you personally control a character, AKA its developed to be close and personal and looks the part. If you bring an RTS it needs to be like that too.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

He says he been a PC player longer than me, yet constantly tries to downplay PC in every post. Most people see through this kinda bullshit already. And your 1000% right on the comparison. It's kinda stupid to use cyberpunk to show PC performance, only to have it blow up right back in his face. Just like this thread.
You are the ignorant type thinking you know me.

You can't understand or respect a person's preference that doesn’t line up with yours.
I enjoy consoles much much more get over it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Friend build 3080 pc and it came to almost 4k usd and he cheaped on some stuff...

You sure it was USD? He must not have paid even close to MSRP for the GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
- it's never been more simple, user-friendly and approachable to use.
While that's true relative to where it used to be - the platform is still not actually simple, user-friendly or approachable to use.
It is however - a trade-off I make willingly for the flexibility of things you can't (and probably never will be able to) do on other platforms.

You are the ignorant type thinking you know me.

You can't understand or respect a person's preference that doesn’t line up with yours.
I enjoy consoles much much more get over it.
Me on the other hand, I prefer PC. But when do you see me making threads that are shitting on consoles...? Oh wait, you don't. I never shit on consoles either, I just keep it real and use factual data. You on the other hand.... Well, here's this thread for example.

Point is, there's a hardware shortage on every front. It was stupid as fuck to use cyberpunk as an example, as your preferred console doesn't even have the game on its store for purchase of download. At least be honest with your biased and pointless thread.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I’m gonna admit I’m a graphics whore so console with there lower resolution and lower framerate are always gonna be a last resort if the game is not available on PC.

S0ULZB0URNE

Me on the other hand, I prefer PC. But when do you see me making threads that are shitting on consoles...? Oh wait, you don't. I never shit on consoles either, I just keep it real and use factual data. You on the other hand.... Well, here's this thread for example.

Point is, there's a hardware shortage on every front. It was stupid as fuck to use cyberpunk as an example, as your preferred console doesn't even have the game on its store for purchase of download. At least be honest with your biased and pointless thread.

Said it earlier and I'll say it again.
We can tell who actually watched the video.

That channel is a long time Pro PC Enthusiasts channel.

Poster I quoted basically said 3080 was more than enough and future ready.
I don't agree and gave CP2077 as a example.
It's not the only modern PC game that has to run in fake 4K either.

You nonstop PCMR troll consoles get out of here with the bs man.

Hardware unboxing is nothing but PC, but he doesn't mind shitting on NVIDIA. So that doesn't really say much at all. It's still a very clickbait title, hence when multiple people have called you out already.

Your favorite console is not even current gen capable, if you think a 3080 isn't future proof in comparison to consoles. I don't get why you can't just let people enjoy their better performance, higher refresh rates, higher resolution, higher quality, etc.

S0ULZB0URNE

Hardware unboxing is nothing but PC, but he doesn't mind shitting on NVIDIA. So that doesn't really say much at all. It's still a very clickbait title, hence when multiple people have called you out already.

Your favorite console is not even current gen capable, if you think a 3080 isn't future proof in comparison to consoles. I don't get why you can't just let people enjoy their better performance, higher refresh rates, higher resolution, higher quality, etc.
Hardware Unboxed is a different channel bra.
Told you that you didn't actually watch the video ;)

nVidia has done some shitty things over the years.
This is coming from a person who's last 4 video cards were made by them EVGA Titan SC,980 ti,1080 ti and a 2060.
But that's irrelevant.

Although I disagree and strongly believe PS5 will continue to have this gens best visuals....
Me replying to the poster about the 3080 not being good enough(imo) has nothing to do with console vs talk which you constantly have to throw in the mix 🤷‍♀️

Hardware Unboxed is a different channel bra.
Told you that you didn't actually watch the video ;)

nVidia has done some shitty things over the years.
This is coming from a person who's last 4 video cards were made by them EVGA Titan SC,980 ti,1080 ti and a 2060.
But that's irrelevant.

Although I disagree and strongly believe PS5 will continue to have this gens best visuals....
Me replying to the poster about the 3080 not being good enough(imo) has nothing to do with console vs talk which you constantly have to throw in the mix 🤷‍♀️
Watched the video. NVIDIA has better performance and features than anyone else. Ps5 having best visuals, highly unlikely, but keep thinking what you want. You just brought up consoles, so what's the issue?

Weird video. PC gaming doesn't have much to do with the world's manufacturing struggles. Games are expensive to make and like any good business, being multi-platform is a good way to maximize profits.
Exactly. There's zero incentive to release AAA PC exclusive. You simply scale down to medium or low settings plus lower resolution, so that the game can barely run on next gen consoles and voila, done. Yet so many plebs don't seem to understand that.

I replied to your PCMR vs Console comment.
I'm in no group, gang, nor affiliation. I don't associate with PCMR. I'm a gamer at heart. I've been using PC and consoles longer than you've been alive. But again, I don't make threads to shit on consoles, so why do feel the need to do it for PC? Yeah it's not against the rules to make these kinda threads, which is obvious as this is still open to comment on (which it rightfully should). But I want to know the psychology behind it.

You admit PC gaming provides better performance than consoles. So why make this thread? I'm sure you weren't expecting a thread backfire, so the need to double-down.... Why? Just live and let die. Some prefer consoles, like you. Some prefer PC. No need to do this. I'm going to message you again in a second to check on you. We had this talk a while back.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I'm in no group, gang, nor affiliation. I don't associate with PCMR. I'm a gamer at heart. I've been using PC and consoles longer than you've been alive. But again, I don't make threads to shit on consoles, so why do feel the need to do it for PC? Yeah it's not against the rules to make these kinda threads, which is obvious as this is still open to comment on (which it rightfully should). But I want to know the psychology behind it.

You admit PC gaming provides better performance than consoles. So why make this thread? I'm sure you weren't expecting a thread backfire, so the need to double-down.... Why? Just live and let die. Some prefer consoles, like you. Some prefer PC. No need to do this. I'm going to message you again in a second to check on you. We had this talk a while back.
No you haven't.

Yeah this post is more proof that you haven't actually watched the video.
PC gaming vs console gaming has nothing to do with the video/thread.

No you haven't.

Yeah this post is more proof that you haven't actually watched the video.
PC gaming vs console gaming has nothing to do with the video/thread.
You've painted PC in a bad light based on a video, which is clickbait at the very minimum. You then compared a cyberpunk benchmark for PC, claimed your preference to consoles, and got triggered when someone compared the performance of the GPU you shit on, to your console of choice.

Not sure why none of this clicks in your brain.

Known console warrior makes thread to slick bash PC ---> says 3080 isn't future proof ---> received a reply with a comparison of 3080 to console performance --> SurprisedPikachuFace.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

You've painted PC in a bad light based on a video, which is clickbait at the very minimum. You then compared a cyberpunk benchmark for PC, claimed your preference to consoles, and got triggered when someone compared the performance of the GPU you shit on, to your console of choice.

Not sure why none of this clicks in your brain.

Known console warrior makes thread to slick bash PC ---> says 3080 isn't future proof ---> received a reply with a comparison of 3080 to console performance --> SurprisedPikachuFace.gif
Everything has been replied 2 multiple times already.

<<<snip>>>

Kenpachii

The dude is a idiot for saying PC gaming was better back in the day. And then tells us he actually did experience it. He clearly didn't. I got a IT degree and i made / sold / and fixed PC's already in the 90's. I played games already in that time period all the way from my 8th year. And frankly PC gaming was a fucking disaster on how difficult it was to get going.

Today we have far far far more to our disposal with a simple click, everything is served easy. Even if i tried i couldn't brick my OS with installing crap that's how well software is running. The same goes for GPU drivers. Just click the driver and install. Instead of having to write half of your own drivers to get optimal performance and swap drivers for every game to get maximum performance out of it. Installing as simple as a network driver could blow up your entire OS.

Steam absolutely made life easy as shit and windows xp beyond sp1. And then we are not even talking about game patches oh god the game patches back in the day. It wasn't click and play.

We got access towards practically every single game on the planet, besides a few exclusives of console company's, every single handheld / mobile game is playable on PC through emulation in a even better solution. Counless of gems through indie games, lots of games u can play without paying a cent through free to play solutions. Tons of games coming out instead of that 1-2 games that bricked half the PC userbase's PC and console ip's are all hitting PC now.

Thing Cyberpunk is bad? its a joke in comparison towards games like crysis back in the day. There is a reason why people meme hard on these titles as even today nothing can run it at max settings.

So talking about this guy is a long time PC enthusiasts and knows what he's talking about. Sure he can be and sure he can enjoy his console games on his PC. But his statements are fucking dumb as fuck and anybody out of the pre steam area and pre windows xp s1 area will tell you the same thing.

Then let me tell you about PC settings in games, because u clearly don't understand how it even remotely works.

Games often offer settings far beyond the scope of current gen hardware. This is to future proof it or make it a benchmark while u are at it. U can even go further then that. People where playing with 6gb titan gpu's in sli in the PS3 area maxed out in a game like skyrim and needed more, because they modded the living shit out of it. I could kill a 3080 even in a simple game like minecraft if i wanted too. People mod, people push settings far beyond its scope even in games like assassin creed.

Max settings for PC games do not exist, what does exist are optimized settings such as high settings acceptable resolutions, instead of ultra or modded settings or 8k or even 16k resolutions that people can use to play there games smoothly on. It's all about what u want.

Maybe u never noticed it, but PC gamers on the top end always search for the next card because they never ever have enough performance far beyond the scope of what console games deliver.

Then about your obsession about 4k a resolution nobody on PC cares about?

8e89c80753b79caa898dc2eae335ef33.png

U know why they don't care about it? because they rather sit at higher framerates or higher settings then kill there gpu's on resolutions.

Does that mean a 3080 isn't enough for the entire generation? sure it does, it depends on what your demands are. U want to play at 8k dsr to 16k or even 32k, even a 6080 won't do in a game like metro 2033. U want to play at 1080 and high settings, with some raytracing here and there? like most people? u will be cpu bound before anything else.

PC is all about choice and that's where it stands for. U slamming cyberpunk on ultra settings at a resolution far beyond what consoles could ever offer to make some point as it doesn't run stable at 30 fps is just you being special.

Last edited:

Excess

Enjoy watching whiner-babies rant on YouTube, I guess?
I almost forgot the subtle and passive-aggressive dig at Linus for "selling" cards to his viewers.

The truth is that the cards were provided by Gigabyte because they sponsored the video. It wasn't like Linus had a pallet of 3070's lying around.

Last edited:
I almost forgot the subtle and passive-aggressive dig at Linus for "selling" cards to his viewers.

The truth is that the cards were provided by Gigabyte because they sponsored the video. It wasn't like Linus had a pallet of 3070's lying around.
Is that what happened in the video? I only got a few seconds in before I realized exactly what it was and stopped.

longdi

Banned
Crypto is crashing now. Seems to be breaking the resistance levels.
Hopefully BTC goes to 32K and boom.
3080Ti may be affordable soon!

S0ULZB0URNE

The dude is a idiot for saying PC gaming was better back in the day. And then tells us he actually did experience it. He clearly didn't. I got a IT degree and i made / sold / and fixed PC's already in the 90's. I played games already in that time period all the way from my 8th year. And frankly PC gaming was a fucking disaster on how difficult it was to get going.

Today we have far far far more to our disposal with a simple click, everything is served easy. Even if i tried i couldn't brick my OS with installing crap that's how well software is running. The same goes for GPU drivers. Just click the driver and install. Instead of having to write half of your own drivers to get optimal performance and swap drivers for every game to get maximum performance out of it. Installing as simple as a network driver could blow up your entire OS.

Steam absolutely made life easy as shit and windows xp beyond sp1. And then we are not even talking about game patches oh god the game patches back in the day. It wasn't click and play.

We got access towards practically every single game on the planet, besides a few exclusives of console company's, every single handheld / mobile game is playable on PC through emulation in a even better solution. Counless of gems through indie games, lots of games u can play without paying a cent through free to play solutions. Tons of games coming out instead of that 1-2 games that bricked half the PC userbase's PC and console ip's are all hitting PC now.

Thing Cyberpunk is bad? its a joke in comparison towards games like crysis back in the day. There is a reason why people meme hard on these titles as even today nothing can run it at max settings.

So talking about this guy is a long time PC enthusiasts and knows what he's talking about. Sure he can be and sure he can enjoy his console games on his PC. But his statements are fucking dumb as fuck and anybody out of the pre steam area and pre windows xp s1 area will tell you the same thing.

Then let me tell you about PC settings in games, because u clearly don't understand how it even remotely works.

Games often offer settings far beyond the scope of current gen hardware. This is to future proof it or make it a benchmark while u are at it. U can even go further then that. People where playing with 6gb titan gpu's in sli in the PS3 area maxed out in a game like skyrim and needed more, because they modded the living shit out of it. I could kill a 3080 even in a simple game like minecraft if i wanted too. People mod, people push settings far beyond its scope even in games like assassin creed.

Max settings for PC games do not exist, what does exist are optimized settings such as high settings acceptable resolutions, instead of ultra or modded settings or 8k or even 16k resolutions that people can use to play there games smoothly on. It's all about what u want.

Maybe u never noticed it, but PC gamers on the top end always search for the next card because they never ever have enough performance far beyond the scope of what console games deliver.

Then about your obsession about 4k a resolution nobody on PC cares about?

8e89c80753b79caa898dc2eae335ef33.png

U know why they don't care about it? because they rather sit at higher framerates or higher settings then kill there gpu's on resolutions.

Does that mean a 3080 isn't enough for the entire generation? sure it does, it depends on what your demands are. U want to play at 8k dsr to 16k or even 32k, even a 6080 won't do in a game like metro 2033. U want to play at 1080 and high settings, with some raytracing here and there? like most people? u will be cpu bound before anything else.

PC is all about choice and that's where it stands for. U slamming cyberpunk on ultra settings at a resolution far beyond what consoles could ever offer to make some point as it doesn't run stable at 30 fps is just you being special.
98-2013 ish PC was great for me.
So I kinda agree with the dude you are calling a idiot. :messenger_smirking:

Yes it means 3080 isn't enough for some this generation.
For example I want everything out now to run ULTRA/TRUE 4K/60+ fps if I dump that kind of money.

Cyberpunk can't run maxed setting @ resolutions higher than these consoles with a good fps on a 3090.
True 4K nets the 3090 22 fps and Fake 4K hits 58 fps.

Unless CDPR is completely incompetent to designing games on the XSX/PS5... CP2077 will run the same resolutions if not higher and have a better FPS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because it's nonsense. My friend bought this PC a few weeks ago and I think it constitutes as 'good' - and it was far less than 3 to 5k lol:
T9USwsk.jpg
That's gbp and that's fiction prices lol.v this pc is more expensive.
And yes. By good pc, I mean better than a console. If it would be the same, then just get the console.
Even if you could get parts for those prices, you act like 1300 gbp is not much

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

It's not future proof. I play on 4k120 OLED. There is no new game that don't run 100% of 3080 l. Village for example runs about 90fps maxed. Sure you don't need it but otherwise I can play on much much cheaper consoles which are a great deal.
Nothing future proof about you running 100% so soon after it's release on normal, modern resolution. I've been using 4k for years. It's not new.
1070? You are delusional. If you like to play on lower resolution or without new graphical settings? That's worse than 400usd console nowadays.
Anyway... On a very expensive pc you can max out settings and play at more than 60 fps... So there is absolutely no point right now. If anyone would ask me that he wants to play resident evil 8 I would not suggest him buying a pc. Just get ps5 or Xbox. You get experience as good as very expensive pc. Simple. Where is arguing in that?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

98-2013 ish PC was great for me.
So I kinda agree with the dude you are calling a idiot. :messenger_smirking:

Yes it means 3080 isn't enough for some this generation.
For example I want everything out now to run ULTRA/TRUE 4K/60+ fps if I dump that kind of money.

Cyberpunk can't run maxed setting @ resolutions higher than these consoles with a good fps on a 3090.
True 4K nets the 3090 22 fps and Fake 4K hits 58 fps.

Unless CDPR is completely incompetent to designing games on the XSX/PS5... CP2077 will run the same resolutions if not higher and have a better FPS.

U can have great experiences but doesn't mean its better then what it was. That's factually untrue. Even if u liked the games better at the time. It was still a technical shitfest and far less software available then we have today.

3080 is enough for this generation by far. because its atleast 2x faster then what the PS4 has, its basically a 970+ or higher in the same time frame as the PS4 released ( not sure how the 3080 actually weights up against the PS5 gpu didn't pay much attention towards it but i assume its 2x the performance ). The card will play every game that hits the PS5 without problems.

And about max settings, i already explained in my last reaction why it means nothing. Max settings are builded for future hardware it can go as high as anybody wants it to go and modders will push it further then that. What a 3090 does at 4k max settings on PC isn't much relevant in comparison.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
TI3sGUF.jpg

I said you don't need it for anything.
Nobody needs 4k or DLSS. 1080p is just fine, the rest is pretty superfluous. And I say that as someone who unfortunately bought into the hype and got a 4k monitor - which now is my secondary monitor as most games I have an interest in really don't deal well with 4k resolution (the graphics are usually fine, but the UI sometimes becomes unreadable or otherwise messed up).

Maybe you want 4k and to always be at the edge of whatever is technically possible, but you certainly don't need it.
Anyway, in that case, almost no piece of hardware will ever last you for very long.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Hardware limitation is not just on PC but with every company dealing with hardware.

I think its impossible for PC to have a bad state. And with Denuvo being so strong these days there is no reason not to release good and fixed game to this huge crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom