• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rock confirms (?) he's playing a DC Superhero (Shazam?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? They done goofed. It better be this guy.

Black_Adam_0003.jpg

He's played an Egyptian before (technically not, but whatever), but not a bad-guy, atleast I don't think so. CG RockScorpion doesn't count. Do it casting directors. DO IT.

Penguin

While Black Adam would be cool

Shazam just makes much more sense from a business standpoint
The Rock is one of the hottest actors in the world right now, if you can grab him, you grab him for a role you can create a potential franchise around. And that tends to be the hero, not the villain.

Zubz

Banned

If we even get Shaq as Steel for a cameo, I'll die a happy man.

And I think the Rock's playing Captain Marvel/Shazam based on his hints. Him being in goofy kids' movies like The Tooth Fairy makes me think he can pull of Billy's 10-year-old-in-a-grown-ass-man's-body personality. Still, as much sense as it makes, I'd love to see Lobo, especially a Lobo played by the Rock. Just keep the old personality and we're golden.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What? They done goofed. It better be this guy.

Black_Adam_0003.jpg

The hint was just say the word?

Black Adam also says SHAZAM to become black adam.....im putting my money on the Rock playing Black Adam, not Shazam.....Black Adam isnt exactly a villain yahno.

ReiGun

Guys, it's either Shazam or Adam. "Just say the word" makes that much clear. There's a small chance the Rock is trolling, but I don't think he is.

You don't hire the Rock and have him play Black Adam, no matter how much he "looks" like the character (which isn't even that important). You hire the Rock to carry a Shazam movie, not play the villian in a Shazam movie.

Sanjuro

You don't hire the Rock and have him play Black Adam, no matter how much he "looks" like the character (which isn't even that important). You hire the Rock to carry a Shazam movie, not play the villian in a Shazam movie.

Nobody knows who Black Adam is anyway, and even the Rock wouldn't work him into mainstream titles.

ZeroX03

Banned
While Black Adam would be cool

Shazam just makes much more sense from a business standpoint
The Rock is one of the hottest actors in the world right now, if you can grab him, you grab him for a role you can create a potential franchise around. And that tends to be the hero, not the villain.

Thor franchise leans very hard on Tom Hiddleston / Loki, those films basically made the actor. Black Adam could arguably fill a similar role.

ReiGun

Thor franchise leans very hard on Tom Hiddleston / Loki, those films basically made the actor. Black Adam could arguably fill a similar role.

Right, which makes that a different situation. Hiddleston and Hemsworth weren't big names before they were cast as Loki and Thor; Marvel wasn't banking on their names. The Rock, on the other hand, is a huge star. To have someone like him and not cast him to be the main character of a big summer movie and (potentially) appear in your big superhero crossover event thing just because he looks more like this other villain guy would be baffling.

ZeroX03

Banned
Right, which makes that a different situation. Hiddleston and Hemsworth weren't big names before they were cast as Loki and Thor; Marvel wasn't banking on their names. The Rock, on the other hand, is a huge star. To have someone like him and not cast him to be the main character of a big summer movie and (potentially) appear in your big superhero crossover event thing just because he looks more like this other villain guy would be baffling.

How is the main villain not a main character? A bankable villain is a good thing. And big names get hired to play supporting roles as well. As long as he's in there in a major role they can advertise him. If they want to turn The Rock into a high-profile, recurring villain / anti-hero they could make it happen.

The Rock is third billed in the F&F movies I believe. His name does not have to come first. Marketing prominence is not necessarily a representative of screen time.

Alienous

He's like a big kid. And all they need now is a sassy kid for the role of Billy Batson.

Perfect casting for Shazam. The Rock doesn't have the ruthlessness for Black Adam.

ReiGun

How is the main villain not a main character? A bankable villain is a good thing. And big names get hired to play supporting roles as well. As long as he's in there in a major role they can advertise him. If they want to turn The Rock into a high-profile, recurring villain / anti-hero they could make it happen.

The Rock is third billed in the F&F movies I believe.

A main character, but not the main character. Not the one that's guaranteed to return for sequels, not the one that's going to be in your big superhero crossovers.

Yes, big actors get picked to play supporting roles as well, but in this case, I'd have to ask "why?" What is the advantage of the Rock playing Adam over Shazam beyond his melanin count being closer to the former? The Rock's natural inclinations as an actor lean closer to Shazam (seriously, why do people want someone as charismatic, funny, and energetic as Dwayne Johnson to play some super serious stick in the mud like Black Adam). Shazam is the character they're trying to launch as a franchise, and having a star as big as the Rock play him only helps that. Having the Rock as Shazam opens the door to get a more suitable actor to play Adam.

The FF movies were already a big franchise by the time Rock joined. And even there, they had Vin Diesel and Paul Walker to hang the franchise on, and they were the bigger stars at the time.

Alienous

Wait, The Rock has to convey a child in adult body while playing as Shazam (If this thought is true...). Then that means he's the "comic relief" and I am already starting to be slightly disappointed at the possibility...

Otherwise he'd have to be a dramatic actor. As Shazam he can be a goofy comic relief, still have massive fight scenes, be part of the main Justice League line-up, increase minority representation ... it is perfect casting.

And to think some people wanted The Rock, who has muscles upon muscles, to play Green Lantern's John Stewart, just because of the colour of his skin. Shazam is literally perfect for his acting chops.

Loona

As much as he resembles Black Adam, that's a character with a history of ending his one-shot appearances by reversing his transformation, aging a few thousands years in a matter of seconds, which tends to kill him. Comics tend to bring him back from that because comics, but yeah, the Rock won't sign up for that.

I just hope whomever's cast as Batson doesn't portray the character as a prick, it's possible to handle him well - the animated shows with him did a fine job of it.

Slayven

Did some googling and saw this.
xVkCy4g.jpg

They seriously made black adam black?

He wasn't white to begin with.

Fawcett Comics

The original, Vincent Gomez version of Black Adam (whose alter ego was named Hale) appeared only once during the Fawcett's initial publication run of Captain Marvel comics. In The Marvel Family #1, Black Adam is an ancient Egyptian prince named Teth-Adam (i.e., "Mighty Human"), who is chosen by the wizard Shazam to be his successor due to his presumed moral purity.

In this revised origin, Teth-Adam is the son of the ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Ramesses II, and impresses one of the high priests, the wizard Shazam, with his good deeds. The wizard gives Teth-Adam the power to become the superhero Mighty-Adam by speaking the name "Shazam", an acronym for Mighty Adam's powers: the stamina of Shu, the swiftness of Heru (Horus), the strength of Amon, the wisdom of Zehuti (Thoth), the power of Aton, and the courage of Mehen.[2] He does not draw powers from Shazam due to the demoness Blaze making a deal with the Egyptian god Set.

So his name translate to "Black Human"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom