• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rock confirms (?) he's playing a DC Superhero (Shazam?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a recent interview with Total Film, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson confirms he's playing a DC superhero that will be announced shortly — a character that "has the power of Superman." Unless there's some major disinformation going on here, it sounds like the Rock is almost certainly Shazam.

In terms of DC heroes who are Superman's equal, there's pretty much only Shazam, who powers are magical instead of alien. And assuming that theis rumored Warner Bros. movie calendar is real — and because WB would need to start work on a Shazam movie for 2016 in the exceedingly near future — all signs point to the announcement that the former wrestler has been cast as the Superhero Formerly Known as Captain Marvel.

Given that Shazam is in fact the adult superhero alter-ego on the young boy Billy Batson, I wonder if Johnson can adequately convey the childish personality of Shazam, but I'm cautiously optimistic. The casting could definitely be way, way, way worse, after all. Question: If The Rock is Shazam, who are they going to get to play his archenemy Black Adam? Is there anyone on the planet who looks more like Black Adam than Dwayne Johnson?

http://io9.com/the-rock-has-pretty-...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ef8qx6uOI

dwayne-johnson-shazam.jpg

I was going to say I was surprised DC could afford him, then I remember Bale and such.

That being said..it has to be a pretty massive role to justify him.

Or it's Booster Gold and I will fucking howl laughing at Rock being a butt

ReiGun

"Just say the word" kind of gives it away as being either Shazam or Adam. I'm going Shazam because, come on, it's the Rock. You don't cast the biggest action star on the planet and then not make him the star.

I'm not sure why the article is automatically assuming Shazam...based on what Rock said it could just as easily be Black Adam and he's been rumored to be Black Adam forever so it seems more likely.

theWB27

DC going for that big comic book look huh. Henry Cavill is massive, Ben Affleck buffed up pretty good and now Ro...er..Dwayne Johnson. Rumored Jason Mamoa as Aquaman.

Damn.

Loxley

Seeing as the guy is the biggest action star in the world right now, I doubt WB would want bring him in as a villain. If he's Shazam, it's much easier to potentially create solo or spin-off films if he's the hero. Besides, he's got the biggest "how cool is it that I'm a superhero" grin that's pretty much perfect for the character.

DC going for that big comic book look huh. Henry Cavill is massive, Ben Affleck buffed up pretty good and now Ro...er..Dwayne Johnson. Rumored Jason Mamoa as Aquaman.

Damn.

So ... you're saying Shazam (The Rock) should kick the shit out of the so-called Superman (Cavill)? That's what I'm hearing.

ReiGun

I think The Rock can pull it off, But who would you cast as the kid?
This is what I'm wondering too. Does anyone know of any pre to early teen actors who look like Dwayne and could match his energy well enough that you'd believe they were the same person?

Seeing as the guy is the biggest action star in the world right now, I doubt WB would want bring him in as a villain. If he's Shazam, it's much easier to potentially create solo or spin-off films if he's the hero. Besides, he's got the biggest "how cool is it that I'm a superhero" grin that's pretty much perfect for the character.

Not to mention if they intend to add Shazam to the JLA movie, having The Rock on board for that is just good business.

Looking forward to seeing how they actually squeeze magic into this universe right from the get go. We've gone from a the grimdark Nolan to the relatively grounded Superman flick that tried to go more of a SF route for a lot of things, and now Shazam, Wonder Woman, Aquaman. Even though Nolanverse is separate, I think it's gonna be a tough sell.

theWB27

So ... you're saying Shazam (The Rock) should kick the shit out of the so-called Superman (Cavill)? That's what I'm hearing.

It's gonna be Rock as the rival to Supes. Public opinion is still gonna be against him after the destruction in MoS. Batman will be a little neutral, but go against Supes because he steps on Batman's toes. Shazam is going to be the media darling because of his child like charm. Manipulated by Jesse Eiiiiiiisenberg to do something bad...causing Supes to show, this is how it's done along with Batman. Shazam breaks free of the manipulation to help against the greater threat.

Then you're going to get the shot. The shot that shows all three standing next to each other. The physique shot.

Yeah...

(Assuming the rest are gonna be lil cameos like the rumors suggest.)

BTW...who's a strong enough villain in DC that would be a fight for Supes, Shazam and Batman?

LowerLevel

Wait, The Rock has to convey a child in adult body while playing as Shazam (If this thought is true...). Then that means he's the "comic relief" and I am already starting to be slightly disappointed at the possibility...

ReiGun

Looking forward to seeing how they actually squeeze magic into this universe right from the get go. We've gone from a the grimdark Nolan to the relatively grounded Superman flick that tried to go more of a SF route for a lot of things, and now Shazam, Wonder Woman, Aquaman. Even though Nolanverse is separate, I think it's gonna be a tough sell.

Introducing Shazam's "world" first in a solo before WW or AM is actually the smart play in this regard, I think. Magic in Shazam's story is very much something unnatural and strange in Billy Batson's otherwise normal and grounded life. That'll help it play a bit more than introducing it through Wonder Woman, where gods and mystical creatures and such are everywhere and even stranger than Shazam.

BTW...who's a strong enough villain in DC that would be a fight for Supes, Shazam and Batman?

tumblr_mje98bd1Jm1qg4vcvo1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom