• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The possible console PS5 Slim leaked? (Update: possible video)

ReBurn

Gold Member
My guess will be $450/£400/€450, maybe drop it down if they want go nuclear.

Basically i think their discounted price they have going on now in various region is what they price it.

Going any higher is risky as that discounted price has been available for a while and has set peoples expectations.
But DE is still $399. If this has an optional drive then releasing this without a drive at $449 would be a price increase. Releasing it at $449 with the drive would be amazing but $50 for the drive alone is a probably a stretch.

skit_data

I always wondered why they made it so big. Big = more material = more expensive to make, store and transport.
I suspect it might have been to really ensure proper cooling, the white panels stretching out far enough to ensure there's proper air intake for the fan. Same thing with the curved surfaces, makes it very hard to position it in a way that risks leading to improper cooling.
But as we've seen with the revisions they might have went a little overboard with it, they could probably have made the exterior of the console either thinner or shorter by removing parts of the heat sink.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So how much are the tickets to said video?

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight
Yeah I dunno what to think

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Plenty of folks called PS4 ugly. But every console gets called ugly by someone. Typical console war madness.
I own a PS5, still think it has probably the worst aesthetic design of any console I’ve owned. It’s ugly, comically huge, and requires an unnecessarily large space to house it thanks to its “form over function” design (weirdly curved bottom that requires a stand just to prop it up horizontally, vagina lips sticking out the side)

Pretty ridiculous to dismiss all criticism as “console war madness”

jm89

WHITE........

AGAIN............

FUCK YOU SONY, WHY??? WHY??????????????? :pie_lcry:

EDIT: Those MFs really want to force you to buy those black plates, aren't they?
When they can get away with charging £45 for 2 pieces of plastic that's what happens unfortunately.

Look at third party offerings, decent and much cheaper.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I own a PS5, still think it has probably the worst aesthetic design of any console I’ve owned. It’s ugly, comically huge, and requires an unnecessarily large space to house it thanks to its “form over function” design (weirdly curved bottom that requires a stand just to prop it up horizontally, vagina lips sticking out the side)

Pretty ridiculous to dismiss all criticism as “console war madness”

Reread my post as that isn't what I said. I said every console gets called ugly in reference to PS4.

REDRZA MWS

There really is zero need for this. I own d brand plates on my launch ps5 and already sleeker. Also a detachable hard drive? Seriously? You already sell a digital sleeker console for 100 bucks less. Just release the pro.

Roufianos

Wtf is up with everyone criticising ps5 design and now the new sleeker design with black slit.
You bunch of up tight boring assholes. Loosen up a bit jeez. Have some fun. Thank god it’s not another boring box.

Let’s wait for full reveal
People are entitled to their opinions. I'd say you're the one who needs to loosen up and stop being offended by people lightheartedly making fun of a box.

MrA

Wow thanks for sharing, I was expecting everyone to throw their launch PS5 in the trash and spend $450 on a replacement that’s functionally identical to the original.
I known I followed that advice when I bought my pro game 2000

I threw away all my expensive video cartridges and never looked back

Hugare

I must have some really shitty taste 'cause I love how the PS5 looks and this version also doesnt look that bad

I think PS5 looks better than most PC cabinets, for example. Slicker and without flashy lights everywhere. Matches a lot of different environments.

Would like to know what designs look good in your opinions (Series X looks better)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I must have some really shitty taste 'cause I love how the PS5 looks and this version also doesnt look that bad

I think PS5 looks better than most PC cabinets, for example. Slicker and without flashy lights everywhere. Matches a lot of different environments.

Would like to know what designs look good in your opinions (Series X looks better)

Like I said previously, I don't mind the design, just the size. XSX is definitely looks better, imo, but I'm guessing its more compact design and higher quality materials are the reason why MS loses so much money on each unit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Like I said previously, I don't mind the design, just the size. XSX is definitely looks better, imo, but I'm guessing its more compact design and higher quality materials are the reason why MS loses so much money on each unit.
It's not the materials, since the PS5 rocks all that copper and liquid metal as well, it's the split mobo design which is expensive to produce.

I personally think the XSX is boring, and both are pretty much the same volume wise (XSX being .4 cubic volume smaller). XSS looking the better of the bunch, just that thing is a POS in 2023 and beyond spec wise.

Last edited:
I'm amazed how much some say they care about the appearance of a console. I don't give a fuck about it, also how a PC looks. For me games comes first, since my first console (Sega Genesis). :messenger_poop:

ShakenG

There really is zero need for this. I own d brand plates on my launch ps5 and already sleeker. Also a detachable hard drive? Seriously? You already sell a digital sleeker console for 100 bucks less. Just release the pro.
You haveing zero need for this doesn't make it pointless mate. Especially if its a revision and meant to save sony some coin. These changes happen nearly every generation.
We're both waiting on the Pro. But new customers will obviously want to pick this up when its smaller and possibly comes with other changes.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

You haveing zero need for this doesn't make it pointless mate. Especially if its a revision and meant to save sony some coin. These changes happen nearly every generation.
We're both waiting on the Pro. But new customers will obviously want to pick this up when its smaller and possibly comes with other changes.
Point is the new consumers can easily buy the digital edition, save coin, then have a choice of an optional add on disc drive.

About your point on Sony saving coin, im pretty sure a 3 year old console is cheaper yo make nowadays.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love the color as well. Matte black. None of this glossy shit Sony keeps putting on their products.
I prefer matte too, thankfully the plates on the PS5 are matte. But what's odd, is that it's just as much a fingerprint magnet (XSX). Thankfully I don't fondle consoles like some seem to do. Just dust it daily and move on.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Lol it’s hilarious how some people get so defensive when the thing they own is no longer the absolute latest and greatest.

It’s a hardware revision meant to cut some costs and simplify their product line. Nobody is asking you to replace your existing PS5 with this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like this one,
761ja6Y.jpg
What a bunch of sad, ugly black boxes.
Just like X and S are right now.
360, the original fat white model was beautiful. Creative, fun, evocative of gaming... not a millionaire ceo furniture.
ps3 was also looking fantastic. I didn't like original ps4 that much. Slim was a bit better. ps5 is top tier. just bit

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Reread my post as that isn't what I said. I said every console gets called ugly in reference to PS4.
OK I took you post as an attempt to downplay any criticism of any console’s aesthetics. If you’re taking specifically about PS4 then yeah I would agree most of the criticism was from console warriors who would hate on anything Sony made.

Top Bottom