• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The possible console PS5 Slim leaked? (Update: possible video)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
just like the PS4 everyone is calling it ugly

it's looking good so far i always liked slim version more on PS consoles

the super slim PS3 was the console with the most disc drive failures

PS4 slim was ugly. But the original PS4 was a beautiful piece of hardware. I had a limited Destiny edition and it was stunning.

81T7r9VrWzL.jpg

81F5qi287ML.jpg

Last edited:

Xtib81

Oh come on. Sony (and every other consumer electronics company) put tons and tons of effort into the aesthetics of their products. This is something that’s intended to sit in your living room. The size/appearance are fair game for criticism.
It sits well, it's just that some people like to remind everyone, everytime how they find it hideous (Whatever that means btw). If that's the case, put it out of sight and call it a day.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Why would they only post part of the image and cut off the actual interesting bit. The detachable disk drive.

Reason: They were too lazy to fake the detachable disc drive. A lot easier to just put black lines on a ps5.

Yeah... I'm gonna say that it is fake image
Seriously doubt it's a fake image since this revised PS5 model is supposedly launching very soon (this fall). Someone already mentioned that it's a picture of the packaging and not of the console itself. So this tells me that the image was snapped by a rando working in the distribution chain.

Team real for me!!!

Last edited:

Solidus_T

the super slim PS3 was the console with the most disc drive failures
That's interesting. I must have been unlucky with my fat PS3 and gotten a robust super slim. I only had minor temporary issues with my fat PS3, but that's where a minor issue occurred with the drive. For a bit, I had to use the eject button from the OS. It works now though

skit_data

Possibly fake but anyway;
That slit doesn't look like the best idea for something sitting in a cabinet tbh. I can see cables and loose sleeves getting caught in the groove while tinkering with the rear outputs (which you do every now and then if you're cleaning the console properly) and risk accidentaly sending the console straight to hardware heaven if you pull the cables/hands out too quickly.

Sounds a bit far fetched and clumsy but that was the first thing I thought of seeing that picture :p

Three

Assuming this isn't complete bullshit.

They put slits on both side to allow disc drive to be attached on either side?

Trying to understand why they need that ugly slit on both sides.
I don't think you can attach to either side, only one. The top is just to copy the familiar PS4 design. If it is a removable panel it might be for easy SSD access too. The bottom/right hand side will likely still be for the optional drive and you won't need to have a drive include the entire panel.

DaGwaphics

Assuming this isn't complete bullshit.

They put slits on both side to allow disc drive to be attached on either side?

Trying to understand why they need that ugly slit on both sides.

If the disk drive attaches in that way it seems like it could only attach on one side of the unit. Unless they were going to put the attaching clip/mechanism on both sides of the drive which would be extra ugly (and not doing that would result in the drive facing the wall). They may have put the stripe on both sides just to give the unit symmetry but only one functions as an attachment point. If the drive attaches in that way at all.

The folks in charge of aesthetic design at PS have clearly lost the plot this gen if that image is legit. LOL

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wtf is up with everyone criticising ps5 design and now the new sleeker design with black slit.
You bunch of up tight boring assholes. Loosen up a bit jeez. Have some fun. Thank god it’s not another boring box.

Let’s wait for full reveal. How can people criticise already based on quarter of an image

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If the disk drive attaches in that way it seems like it could only attach on one side of the unit. Unless they were going to put the attaching clip/mechanism on both sides of the drive which would be extra ugly (and not doing that would result in the drive facing the wall). They may have put the stripe on both sides just to give the unit symmetry but only one functions as an attachment point. If the drive attaches in that way at all.

The folks in charge of aesthetic design at PS have clearly lost the plot this gen if that image is legit. LOL
The folks in charge of the design have more taste than you ever will. You guys are always unhappy. The only way you would accept it is black square box like ps2

DaGwaphics

The folks in charge of the design have more taste than you ever will. You guys are always unhappy. The only way you would accept it is black square box like ps2

It's like that moment when one student thinks 2+2=5 and the rest of the class thinks the result is 4. Clearly that student is just more advanced than the others. My bad. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Someone on reee posted this comparision.

KGZCaCg.png
Now with 25% smaller labia.

It sits well, it's just that some people like to remind everyone, everytime how they find it hideous (Whatever that means btw). If that's the case, put it out of sight and call it a day.
whatever dude, it’s a forum, people are sharing their opinions about some new thing just like they do about everything. Nobody’s going to read your post and be like “wow, how come I never thought of that!?!? How unreasonable of me to criticize the appearance, I should just find some place where I can hide it from sight instead! Thanks for solving my problem!!”

Elios83

Looks good if true but the interesting part is the detachable drive system and it's still not clear how it works.
Personally I'm perfectly fine with my launch PS5, I want the PS5 Pro and as new Playstation hardware I'll buy the bluetooth earbuds later this year.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Plenty of folks called PS4 ugly. But every console gets called ugly by someone. Typical console war madness.
I must have missed that. Havent't seen many negative posts about the last gen designs, just some people saying Xbox = videorecorder. This gen on the other hand many people, and yes that includes me, call the PS5 ugly.

Matsuchezz

Phil Spencer acknowledges that this is gonna sell like hot cakes and starfield can’t do anything against it. He also states that the new design is a design choice more than anything else.

Topher

Gold Member
I must have missed that. Havent't seen many negative posts about the last gen designs, just some people saying Xbox = videorecorder. This gen on the other hand many people, and yes that includes me, call the PS5 ugly.

Complaints about the PS5's aesthetics are certainly more numerous than what it was with PS4. To me, the design/shape is ok, it's just too damn big.

Mowcno

This is only a shot of the packaging supposedly
Still doesn't answer why the image is cropped. Just show the whole package then. Cropped close-up images in leaks just raises red flags because there are few valid reasons to do it with a real image and many reasons to do it with a fake one. It may be real after all but I'm never going to see a image like this and believe it's trustworthy.

DaGwaphics

Someone on reee posted this comparison.

KGZCaCg.png

Hey Daniel_Mallorca1985 Daniel_Mallorca1985 can you add this pic in the OP?

If they had shown the USBc port you could actually do this in a way that was within a margin of error accurate. The only thing we have to sync scale with here is the embossed Sony logo which may in fact be smaller on the new design.

At any rate, even if she is going to be an ugly beast at least she might be easier to hide. That will still be a plus.

Last edited:

Little Mac

I think the pic is real. It's probably the box. Hopefully the announcement is soon. If Starfield isn't a GOTY contender, I might pick one up.

mrmustard

Banned
Complaints about the PS5's aesthetics are certainly more numerous than what it was with PS4. To me, the design/shape is ok, it's just too damn big.
I always wondered why they made it so big. Big = more material = more expensive to make, store and transport.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Still doesn't answer why the image is cropped. Just show the whole package then. Cropped close-up images in leaks just raises red flags because there are few valid reasons to do it with a real image and many reasons to do it with a fake one. It may be real after all but I'm never going to see a image like this and believe it's trustworthy.
Cropped doesn't scream fake to me as I have been sent several cropped pictures of things that were 100% real and they could be cropped for a number of reasons

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What’s with the color of the image? Lol it’s 2023 even leaks shouldn’t look like it was captured off a 1930s newspaper. 😵‍💫

I say fake

Last edited:

jm89

My guess will be $450/£400/€450, maybe drop it down if they want go nuclear.

Basically i think their discounted price they have going on now in various region is what they price it.

Going any higher is risky as that discounted price has been available for a while and has set peoples expectations.

SSfox

WHITE........

AGAIN............

FUCK YOU SONY, WHY??? WHY??????????????? :pie_lcry:

EDIT: Those MFs really want to force you to buy those black plates, aren't they? SMH

Last edited:
Top Bottom