• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The pandemic in the US is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This is dumb messaging so i expect no less from the current administration. I don't understand why they would word it to stop wearing masks rather than to say they're not required or mandated for vaccinated individuals.

this just causes mixed messaging with the unvaccinated likely also to stop using masks now. Also they should include details like vaccines take 2 weeks to reach full efficacy.
Agreed. I saw a red flag with how the majority interpreted this message that mask less means "no more virus." The pandemic is crushing the U.S. and other larger developed countries still. Numbers are down but there's enough foreign tourism coming to the U.S. from countries with the same strain or a mutation thereof to say, probably should be safe. I figured the vaccine was the right route for everyone to go as another means for helping reduce the current level of pandemic, but by no means eliminating it. Society should learn better that if you feel sick with anything, don't go out, and wear a mask if you do. Seems like things will go sour fast as there are twice as many loons in the West who are anti-vax carriers who will go out without a mask or contract from a new strain.

I get it too. I miss how things were. But I'm willing to wait another year until numbers have gone down more before going into mass gatherings of people. It's not fun quarantining or being stuck indoors. It sucks. It sucks they shutdown many of my favorite hang outs. But I can bargain that more than I can from starting all over again with this because people now want to go mask less in crowded public areas again.

TheContact

Let the man do what he wants. If he gets it cool, if not just as cool. With kids now getting vaccines there will be more than enough people in the country who are vaccinated. People who don’t want to get it won’t effect anyone else.

it’s not about people catching it and dealing with it themselves until herd immunity is established at least. If you don’t want to get the vaccine I completely understand; just don’t go in public unmasked until it’s safe to do so (for others)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it’s not about people catching it and dealing with it themselves until herd immunity is established at least. If you don’t want to get the vaccine I completely understand; just don’t go in public unmasked until it’s safe to do so (for others)

Herd immunity for this is almost certainly a complete pipe dream. If you want heightened protection, get a vaccine. If you can't get a vaccine, take whatever precautions make you comfortable. That's the only sane way forward with the options at hand.

Also "safe" is arbitrarily defined. Yesterday, it wasn't "safe" for vaccinated people to not wear masks.

The economy will not be around in another year. This has to happen now or the country may never rebound from this economic down turn.

Not sure if this is getting too political, but I have to suspect that the awful jobs report and heightened inflation we're seeing contributed to the issuing of this new guidance. Surely they also wanted to provide a carrot for people to get vaccinated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The economy will not be around in another year. This has to happen now or the country may never rebound from this economic down turn.
Life will find a way. The U.S. has survived harsher economic fallout in the past. People can wait.the issue isn't economics. It's the 16-year old brain in 30 + year old adults that feels the pandemic was punishment for them not to go party, not to get drunk in public, not to go to unsanitary gathers. Same mentality down here in Mexico. People don't want to be told to stay home on the weekend. They feel "we have to party or we die." I understand your frustration but the CDC banner will be read the same way by anti-maskers and anti-vax people and numbers will go sky high.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
Fourth Of July Wrestling GIF

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Life will find a way. The U.S. has survived harsher economic fallout in the past. People can wait.the issue isn't economics. It's the 16-year old brain in 30 + year old adults that feels the pandemic was punishment for them not to go party, not to get drunk in public, not to go to unsanitary gathers. Same mentality down here in Mexico. People don't want to be told to stay home on the weekend. They feel "we have to party or we die." I understand your frustration but the CDC banner will be read the same way by anti-maskers and anti-vax people and numbers will go sky high.

I don't plan to belabor the point with you much more, but I feel that your view on this is extremely narrow. Of course the issue is economics, because that is people's lives and wellbeing you are talking about.

Yes there are selfish people out there and a lot of them, but to say that they are the main problem and responsible for holding us all back is preposterous.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just a friendly PSA to encourage everyone to get a vaccine. You see, the last thing I want is for anyone to think I’m anti-vax because I am not.

I am happy to know that everyone around me that is most exposed to the worst of the COVID symptoms have all been vaccinated. Because, see, I’m not anti-vax and I would hate for anyone here to think that I was. I might end up catching a ban or something.

Furthermore, I want to encourage everyone who has not been vaccinated to consider being vaccinated and until you are, to please be honest with others that you aren’t.

For example, I was denied entrance into a business today for the first time in weeks because I didn’t have a mask on. And since I refuse to wear one, I could’ve lied and said I was vaccinated (I’m not) and told the owner that I didn’t need one.

But I refuse to lie. So, I told him politely, “Ray’s across town sells the same stuff and they don’t require a mask. I’ll just do all my business there from now on. Have a good day.”

Oh, in case you missed it: I fully support people being vaccinated and see nothing wrong with the COVID vaccinations.
And that business owner...Albert Einstein.

“Ray’s across town sells the same stuff and they don’t require a mask. I’ll just do all my business there from now on. "

People like you are the worst, even besides the whole Q anon shit you got going on there.

You talked to a cashier, not the owner. They didn't give a fuck where you shop. They probably smiled behind their masks knowing they won't have to see you anymore.

Nobody cares where you shop. Stop telling workers that you're changing the place where you buy hotdogs and hand lotion. The employees literally laughed at you after you left and made lots of comments about your weight.

I'll never understand people like this Karen here that feel the need to announce that they won't be buying from a store anymore. Find me a person who works at the store that is upset that they lost your business. I'll wait.

Pol Pot

Banned
How do you think that would work? I mean I would just NOT do that either.

The only way that would work is if you started putting unvaccinated people in prisons or at the very least deny them entrance into any businesses. Well, I guess it works in some cultures. Like Germanic ones in the 1930s.

Oh wait I better hurry up and restate that I support the vaccines or I might catch a ban. I do appreciate the hard work that goes into producing and distributing these vaccines. I’m proud to say my wife, my dad, my in-laws all have theirs.

I have like a ton friends that work in pharmacies and hospitals and they’ve been working tirelessly to get these vaccines out and I do appreciate all their hard work.

I watch the vaccine numbers go up and up in my state every day and it puts a smile on my face.Thank you Pfizer, Moderna, and even you J&J for being there with those vaxs!
I appreciate this kind of true sincerity. The self awareness, the sacrifice... Truly stunning.

And brave.

USA has been crushing it with vaccine availability. its not a concern for me, wife and i have our shots (PFE). hate wearing a fucking mask

Canada not doing so well, parents are both in the at risk category and have been waiting for a while now

Hulk_Smash

Banned
People like you are the worst, even besides the whole Q anon shit you got going on there.

You talked to a cashier, not the owner. They didn't give a fuck where you shop. They probably smiled behind their masks knowing they won't have to see you anymore.

Nobody cares where you shop. Stop telling workers that you're changing the place where you buy hotdogs and hand lotion. The employees literally laughed at you after you left and made lots of comments about your weight.

I'll never understand people like this Karen here that feel the need to announce that they won't be buying from a store anymore. Find me a person who works at the store that is upset that they lost your business. I'll wait.
And just think. I caught a ban for just saying I won’t wear a mask or get a vaccine. That’s it. And I get personally attacked.
the dark knight joker GIF

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I’m really puzzled why Canada made the 2nd shot 4 months later rather than the recommendations.

Grats USA, what a turnaround from a few months ago.

We're at the point now where if you want the vaccine, most americans can easily get it. So yes its time for life to come back, and those who choose not to get vacciniated are taking their lives into their own hands, which is perfectly fine as I do believe most who choose that life style will accept the consequences.

You're right. I didn't get a vaccine and I got Covid (back in late December last year), and I was at peace with letting it play out. I figured my body would fight it and win or I'd die. Congrats body. :p

RAÏSanÏa

I’m really puzzled why Canada made the 2nd shot 4 months later rather than the recommendations.
Supply and distribution considerations. One shot provides some protection plus reduced syptoms if getting sick, and gettng the second later is said to still be effective.

CloudNull

Banned
Life will find a way. The U.S. has survived harsher economic fallout in the past. People can wait.the issue isn't economics.
Have we?

What has currently happened over the past year has never happened before. Have you seen how much money the country has printed? Are you seeing the job crisis which is happening before our eyes? Companies are closing because workers will not work. Many states are removing unemployment next month.

There is no way of knowing how bad this could get. Things are spiraling out of control fast and this needs to happen.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been answered but what I don't get is, if asymptomatic person can infect other people, why are they saying someone who got the vaccine likely cannot?

Not sure if this has been answered but what I don't get is, if asymptomatic person can infect other people, why are they saying someone who got the vaccine likely cannot?

Nobody knows for sure. Vaccinated people still get infected and after a short while get rid of that infection, far quicker then without vaccine, but for a short time they can be contagious. So it's likely that with everyone being together again in busy settings infections will be common and many unvaccinated will be infected. Those infections will be milder then in a situation where no one is vaccinated. Unless you're not vaccinated and are infected by someone else who is not vaccinated, then there is no difference from what you would see now.

Nobody knows for sure. Vaccinated people still get infected and after a short while get rid of that infection, far quicker then without vaccine, but for a short time they can be contagious. So it's likely that with everyone being together again in busy settings infections will be common and many unvaccinated will be infected. Those infections will be milder then in a situation where no one is vaccinated. Unless you're not vaccinated and are infected by someone else who is not vaccinated, then there is no difference from what you would see now.
Ok that's what i thought. It's just weird how we do not know for sure how virus gets transmitted yet. So i guess the real concern is for unvaccinated person to come in contact with another unvaccinated person who just happens to be infected, adding the 40% possibility that person is asymptomatic.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

Grats USA, what a turnaround from a few months ago.
Supply and distribution considerations. One shot provides some protection plus reduced syptoms if getting sick, and gettng the second later is said to still be effective.
Newer studies also show that there's 3.5x more protection giving doses 12 weeks in between for the mRNA vaccines. But yes vaccinating 2x more people at 0,80 than x at 0,95 was a good choice.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Have we?

What has currently happened over the past year has never happened before. Have you seen how much money the country has printed? Are you seeing the job crisis which is happening before our eyes? Companies are closing because workers will not work. Many states are removing unemployment next month.

This is no way of knowing how bad this could get. Things are spiraling out of control fast and this needs to happen.
I understand man! And I don't want that to happen either. But there's a way to go out (for those vaxxed without a mask) that won't risk putting society back to square one. The title of the thread reads the same way I believe many ready the CDC statement (which you know there will be those to take it literally) "The Pandemic in the U.S. is over." But it's not. So, think of it like this. If you're vaxxed and ready to go out. Small groups for a few months and keep it responsible. That way, there's less risk of another mass outbreak and the numbers can be better contained.

Yeah its nuts. A lot of people I know are saying they don't need the CDC to tell them that its over.... its like wtf.

I get that people don't need a government entity to tell them what to do, I personally did not follow all of their advice but businesses follow them. Everything at my company has been "we look to the CDC for further guidance." If the CDC says it many of the business will stop with the rules.

I wonder what the CDC could have possibly done recently to create such mistrust with the public. :unsure::messenger_neutral:

The pabdemic ain't over. People who work at the flea market or do online sales are fucked. I've seen people not get any new merch for over a year. Storage lockers can't be sold, estate sales not happening and so on. Certain portions are fucked for a long time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The pabdemic ain't over. People who work at the flea market or do online sales are fucked. I've seen people not get any new merch for over a year. Storage lockers can't be sold, estate sales not happening and so on. Certain portions are fucked for a long time.
The Pandemic is almost over, the economic fallout is what is just beginning. The two are not the same. The pandemic was a gaping wound that was still gushing blood until recently. The process of healing is going to be where we feel all the economic pain. All thats happening right now is the blood has stopped gushing and we're moving into the healing phase.

Sadly places like India are still in the trama center.

CloudNull

Banned
The Pandemic is almost over, the economic fallout is what is just beginning. The two are not the same. The pandemic was a gaping wound that was still gushing blood until recently. The process of healing is going to be where we feel all the economic pain. All thats happening right now is the blood has stopped gushing and we're moving into the healing phase.

Sadly places like India are still in the trama center.

Fantastic analogy. I couldn't explain it any better.

Star Trek Applause GIF

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Like I said, from a serious adult perspective of things -- I'm not going with a Tweet to guilt those who want to take precautions after the pandemic effects slow down. As negligent as some have been in Mexico (throwing house parties and getting half their guests sick during the pandemic); there was still a large majority who wore masks in public when I first moved here in 2016. Sick were always encouraged to wear masks in public. The same for the elderly. It wasn't something uncommon to see. But what's going on right now...this is what it sounds like retrospectively:

May 2020:
Pandemic numbers in U.S./other Western countries super high. The media says, "Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to."
The irrational public, "I don't want to wear a mask because it's against muh freedom rights as a 'murican and they make me look stupid"
Rational public, ""Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to and DON'T ACT LIKE THE RETARD ABOVE! Practicing safety during a pandemic shouldn't be grounds for shaming those who choose to act with precaution."

May 2021:
Pandemic number just as high if not higher in most U.S. states but due to "fear of economic collapse vs. ending a pandemic" businesses MUST re-open! The media says, "If you've had your vaccine - stop wearing a mask publicly (nothing wrong with that for those with the vax, honestly)."
The irrational public, "The virus is a hoax or was created in a lab! Masks are from satan! Vaccines are a government trick to control population and give you the virus! Muh freedom!"
The rational public, "My country is still really infected but who cares! I'm with the guys above on not wearing a masks. Let's join them in is much crowd gathering as possible this Summer and shame anyone who thinks taking precaution during the ongoing pandemic is normal!"

CloudNull

Banned
Like I said, from a serious adult perspective of things -- I'm not going with a Tweet to guilt those who want to take precautions after the pandemic effects slow down. As negligent as some have been in Mexico (throwing house parties and getting half their guests sick during the pandemic); there was still a large majority who wore masks in public when I first moved here in 2016. Sick were always encouraged to wear masks in public. The same for the elderly. It wasn't something uncommon to see. But what's going on right now...this is what it sounds like retrospectively:

May 2020:
Pandemic numbers in U.S./other Western countries super high. The media says, "Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to."
The irrational public, "I don't want to wear a mask because it's against muh freedom rights as a 'murican and they make me look stupid"
Rational public, ""Wear masks, keep socially distanced, practice good hygienic habits, don't go out if you don't have to and DON'T ACT LIKE THE RETARD ABOVE! Practicing safety during a pandemic shouldn't be grounds for shaming those who choose to act with precaution."

May 2021:
Pandemic number just as high if not higher in most U.S. states but due to "fear of economic collapse vs. ending a pandemic" businesses MUST re-open! The media says, "If you've had your vaccine - stop wearing a mask publicly (nothing wrong with that for those with the vax, honestly)."
The irrational public, "The virus is a hoax or was created in a lab! Masks are from satan! Vaccines are a government trick to control population and give you the virus! Muh freedom!"
The rational public, "My country is still really infected but who cares! I'm with the guys above on not wearing a masks. Let's join them in is much crowd gathering as possible this Summer and shame anyone who thinks taking precaution during the ongoing pandemic is normal!"
I don't know what you are trying to argue here.

You conflate many things that are unrelated. It is not irrational to question the origin of the virus, which currently the most logical explanation is it came from a lab. This is backed by hard science and not the emotional type the media runs with.

The logic coming from our institutes is inconsistent or illogical but that doesn't change the fact that most the country follows what the CDC says. When I say country I am talking about most major organizations/state government. Many of these companies and states wont even consider removing the mask wearing unless the CDC says it is okay. It does not mean they will lift the requirement immediately but it means we have officially reached the point of healing. Hence the clickbaitish thread title. The threat has been minimized and states can start focusing on recovery. Healing takes time and it will not happen overnight. As we heal their will be screechers who refuse to believe that we have made it this far. These will be the people still wearing a mask in a year. If they do, good for them, whatever makes them feel safe. Just don't be yelling at others who want to get back to normalish.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'll probably wear my mask for awhile longer just to be safe, but it's refreshing to see things finally start getting back to normal. I've also noticed that most people I know have reacted the same way in that they will still be wearing their masks out of caution.

People aren't dumb. They know the risk isn't magically gone just because the White House put out a tweet.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The most vulnerable (elderly) have had their vaccinations.
My grandparents included too. They've had their vaccines twice so far. And it's great that my family in the MidWest is doing that. However, there are indeed new strains of the virus documented in at least three parts of the world at this time and the vaccines were never designed to wipe-out a pandemic this large. The vaccine is a means to reduce the number of those transmitting the virus as the U.S. is one of the most infected countries by this pandemic. A vaccine by no means will wipe the virus out. It's for control and that's provided people continue to gradually restart normal functions. But if the mindset is that everyone vaccinated needs to go to every crowded baseball stadium, concert, or night club; then we're just repeating history of last year. What no one's looking at is the fact that if a new strain gets in and people have disregarded all lessons learned during the pandemic; then the amount of infected + economic impacts will be far more grave than they already have been.

"

But what about the limits of vaccines?​

Reducing the risk of transmitting the coronavirus relies on developing strong immunity against the virus. But immunity, even from the vaccines, fades over time. Scientists are actively monitoring people who’ve had COVID-19 vaccines to understand how long vaccine immunity is likely to last, and if and when booster shots will be required."

Bottom line: Get the vaccination but don't be stupid. Other pandemics prior to modern medicine knew that 2-3 year quarantines would happen and the economies will struggle. But if we act responsibly, at least it gives the world an eventual recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom