• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The pandemic in the US is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudNull

Banned
I am creating a new thread because many people don't go into the Covid thread anymore.

Also, I do not want to get political even though it is a post from the white house.

Anyways......

Looks like the pandemic is officially over in the US. The vaccines are currently effective to all legs of the virus.

I cannot wait to go to a concert. What are you guys going to do with social distancing rules being removed?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Me burning my masks:

tom hanks castaway GIF

Irobot82

Yeah man. I promised the wife I would buy Alicia Keys ticket if this ends soon..... shit lol. I am actually stoked.... I will see anything live at this point.

I wonder if this means I can go to a movie this weekend without a mask.
I saw Tom Segura a month or two ago at West Palm Improv and it felt really weird. I work from home so I am not around a ton of people anyhow but seeing so many people made me nervous and there were a lot more people than I expected not wearing masks walking around.

I'll integrate back into society one day. In the meantime........more fishing......alone.....

CloudNull

Banned
The Twitter meltdowns from the doomsayers over this are amusing.
Yeah its nuts. A lot of people I know are saying they don't need the CDC to tell them that its over.... its like wtf.

I get that people don't need a government entity to tell them what to do, I personally did not follow all of their advice but businesses follow them. Everything at my company has been "we look to the CDC for further guidance." If the CDC says it many of the business will stop with the rules.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah its nuts. A lot of people I know are saying they don't need the CDC to tell them that its over.... its like wtf.

I get that people don't need a government entity to tell them what to do, I personally, did not follow all of their advice but businesses follow them. Everything at my company has been "we look to the CDC for further guidance." If the CDC says it many of the business will stop with the rules.

Now people are crying that there's no way to tell who has been vaccinated or not. Wait for it...

I get that people don't need a government entity to tell them what to do, I personally did not follow all of their advice but businesses follow them. Everything at my company has been "we look to the CDC for further guidance." If the CDC says it many of the business will stop with the rules.

I've started to realize some of these people *need* this pandemic. They've shaped an identity out of social distance and mask policing, and love the isolation.

It's fucking crazy.

CloudNull

Banned
I've started to realize some of these people *need* this pandemic. They've shaped an identity out of social distance and mask policing, and love the isolation.

It's fucking crazy.
You are not wrong. This is going to be a major issue.

My company has developed a whole business plan of reopening around these people. Some people have experienced extreme mental trauma from all this. It is easy to mock them but some have never seen this side of the world.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Hurray, the pandemic is over! The vaccines are working! Rich countries won! Take that covid! With money and scientists, we can defeat everything! USA, USA, USA!!

*meanwhile... in some very poor 3rd world country that's been completely neglected by the world: a new, deadlier mutation evolves that's resistant to all current vaccines*

daveonezero

Banned
Hurray, the pandemic is over! The vaccines are working! Rich countries won! Take that covid! With money and scientists, we can defeat everything! USA, USA, USA!!

*meanwhile... in some very poor 3rd world country that's been completely neglected by the world: a new, deadlier mutation evolves that's resistant to all current vaccines*
This would be the case no matter what humans did.

this vaccine will mean nothing and do nothing in the near future.

just in time for the next one. And the insanity will continue.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Don't know if that's really good news or not. People are still going to get sick from other things.
I'll still wear my mask. Haven't NOT gotten sick for over a year has been a great time. :D
There are places were it makes sense to wear a mask but otherwise let it go my man.

I was wearing a mask before the pandemic when on the train because of how nasty people are but besides close areas with Randoms I will never wear a mask again unless the business requires it.

RAÏSanÏa

Congratulations USA.
Polls suggested the country was only going to be able to vaccinate a little over half the population without making it mandatory(not going to happen). CDC maybe reached a conclusion where restrictions were only going to benefit the reluctant and antivaxxers at the majorities cost.

Outlier

There are places were it makes sense to wear a mask but otherwise let it go my man.

I was wearing a mask before the pandemic when on the train because of how nasty people are but besides close areas with Randoms I will never wear a mask again unless the business requires it.
Oh I pretty much only wear it when I'm at work (mandatory) or if I'm shopping (store request). I wouldn't wear it out in public, but I barely ever leave the house, anyway. Hahah

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I already have concert tickets for this year for Purity Ring, Deftones, Gojira, Jinjer, and System of a Down. Going to Chicago for a week in about 10 days. Going to Seattle and LA later this year for concerts.

My only real remaining concern is just timely boosters for people already vaccinated. Waiting to see when Pfizer recommends I go again since I was vaccinated in December.

Ballistik

Always have been a germaphobe so I hope the trend of having hand sanitizer available everywhere sticks.

I'm also likely sticking with a mask in larger crowded areas like venues, farmers markets, and theme parks. But my local supermarket, at work, and hanging out with friends or family, no mask sounds good to me!

I'll be curious to see how this shakes out on a state by state basis. In Chicago we're still not at the bridge phase yet where everything can open with a few limitations. I have a feeling we're still going to be stuck with masks here through summer.

CloudNull

Banned
How do you draw that conclusion (and title the thread as such) from this:

"...please protect yourself until we get to the finish line."
No social distancing is pretty much the deciding factor. The was the first limitation created that started all this. Long as we don't see massive spikes this shit is over my man.

Now we just need to focus on getting out extra vaccines to India.

Now people are crying that there's no way to tell who has been vaccinated or not. Wait for it...

Yeah, well that's what most people have been asking this entire time. Let them take the risk and make choices. I'm fine with this.

The only thing the WH or CDC needs to do is show cohesive severe illness and death data of those vaccinated versus not vaccinated.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am going to Outside Lands this year for the Tame Impala headliner, and a month after to see Roger Waters.

Fuck the pandemic, a year without concerts was too much.

I'll be happy to do very mundane things in groups again like watching a movie in a theater, and eating at my favorite steakhouse without all of the distancing and masking rules.

Also wearing masks in the summer just plain sucks.

I wonder if we'll have to bring our vaccine cards around in the near term.

I anticipate some states requiring such measures through the end of winter. Probably not mine.

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll have to bring our vaccine cards around in the near term.

Not sure that's going to happen...

But just in case, NY does have the Excelsior app where you can plug in your name/dob and answer a couple questions about where/when you got vaxxed and issue you a QR code for your phone.

I'd rather not carry a paper card around that someone can steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom