• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

The Last of Us has shown us that games can aspire to more than being an interactive movie. You can tell a story in a way that is particular this medium. Naughty Dog are truly masters of their craft.

Ready at Dawn are PSP developers with a big budget.

totally missed the point

the two games I mentioned were in an unfinished state yet they recieved higher scores.

give me a damn good reason why MCC and ACU deserve better scores than the order

you cant

Dude, if Order runs above 17 FPS it's already better than ACU. And I finished ACU for some stupid reason... What a waste of time...

Beyond the issues the games are simply more fun and enjoyable. A game can still be fun with bugs and performance issues.

You can't make a boring experience fun. You can fix bugs.

and yet the order 1886 is a fun experience which doesnt need bug fixing :)

it works properly out of the gate

Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.
- Dana Jan, Game Director

And I wonder where it all went wrong.

I didn't think that statement was a big deal at the time, but when a game is roughly 9 hours and ~2 hours of non gameplay, it shows me where their head was this whole time.

GAMEPLAY>>>>STORY>>>>GRAPHICS everytime IMO

w00zey

It's not the overall score for some of us, it's the content of the reviews.

I don't care if a game got a 6/10 or "thumbs down/no". All of the reviews are basically saying the same thing but in different words. The game just isn't that good. There is a bit of fun to be had but not much.

After much thought I'm renting this bitch. Do places still rent?

Really is a shame that these reviews are resoundingly middling. The Order was definitely on my radar as a reason to buy a PS4. Guess I'll have to keep waiting for Uncharted.

jmood88

Yeah, if there's any use for professional critiques is that they look at the games on their own merits. Judge them as objectively as possible, and impartial to other games .

Lately though, it seems more and more like game critics utilize their personal favourites as the metric for which other games need to be measured, and using the PR environment surrounding the game's release to craft the narrative in their reviews. Like Jeff G. from Giabtbomb comparing DriveClub to FH2 and citing the game's delays and deeming it "not good" as such.

It's just a piss poor job of actually assessing a game's merits.
That makes no sense whatsoever and people need to stop asking for objectivity when reviews are inherently subjective. These games don't exist in a vacuum and if there are similar games out there that do things better, then that should be taken in consideration when reviewing.

3DShovel

If there is a god somewhere between now and next month this game and bloodborne will swap graphic engines.

Even in it's current state, I think Bloodborne looks better than this game. I consider art far more than technical prowess. For instance, I've been playing Majora's Mask 3D and have been consistently going through areas saying, "wow, this is beautiful".

Graphics are more than particle effects and motion blur.

It's not the overall score for some of us, it's the content of the reviews.

I don't care if a game got a 6/10 or "thumbs down/no". All of the reviews are basically saying the same thing but in different words. The game just isn't that good. There is a bit of fun to be had but not much.

Good point, most of the complaints in the reviews seem like they won't bother me. The interesting thing is that a lot of them say the game doesn't feel good to play, which kind of contradicts what a lot of people on here have said about the combat feeling quite solid.

I just can't to play it to see for myself.

Mustafo

Banned
Wow I'm really disappointed so far by how PS4's exclusives are turning out, let's hope the rest of this year can turn that around. Everybody's touting this thing as PS2's spiritual successor yet PS3's first party seemed stronger at this point and that shit was nearly impossible to develop for.

graywolf323

Seems similar to Knack reviews. I thought Knack was a great rental, so I'm still quite optimistic. :)

Also all the reviews that say what Order doesn't do are just stupid. They can say that there's not enough of this game or what is there is not enjoyable, but complaining about not upgrade weapons is just insane...

yeah but this is what game reviews have turned into, seems more and more they review a game for what they wanted it to be not what it is

not saying The Order deserved 8+ scores but a 1/5? that seems insane

This reminds me of Ryse. Spectacular game to buy at a discount play through once and trade.

I really dont like how some reviewers are docking points for lack of needless stat upgrades and stuff. Not all games need xp and in thus type of game it would have felt superficial imo.
Ryse was short and repetitive but it wasn't boring for one or two playthroughs especially on the highest difficulty. I really thought that the Order would surprise people who where turned off by all the shitty gameplay footage they kept showing but it seems to have confirmed my concerns. Its sad that such a beautiful game had to be lackluster. The positive in all this is that gameplay still matters to people and a pretty game isn't going to get great scores for presentation without substance. Interactivity is still a foundational aspect of this medium and that wont ever change. Also on the positive side bloodborne should be amazing and uncharted isnt too far off.

I honestly don't know why people go with review scores to justify there purchase. I honestly go with my personal feelin of I'd like the game and is it something i'll enjoy. I've seen gameplay and intrigued by it. But nowadays people tend to put too much weight on scores. I'd still buy a game if it gets a 2, if its something i'll enjoy. Give it a chance, GAF.

hqdefault.jpg

I go by what gaf says most of the time on games I haven't played before.

The set piece heavy cinematic big budget game is already feeling dated, and it's only been like six years since Uncharted 2. The industry should move away from that trend I guess. This makes me worried about Uncharted 4 too.
That kind of game isn't really dated, but certain trends relating to it are. It seems The Order takes all the bad trends and capitalizes on them, hence the backlash. Uncharted has always taken the good aspects of that and built on them, which is why they're successful critically and commercially.

UC4, from that PSX demo alone, has absolutely nothing to worry about (and if you worry for that, you should worry for RotTR and Quantum Break as well). I felt that demo, in a way I haven't for anything regarding The Order other than visuals sadly.

Wow I'm really disappointed so far by PS4's first party performance, let's hope the rest of this year can turn that around. Everybody's touting this thing as PS2's spiritual successor yet PS3's first party seemed stronger at this point and that shit was nearly impossible to develop for.
I don't remember the first 1 1/2 years of PS3 1st-party games being too incredible iirc.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This is when I lost faith in this game:

- Dana Jan, Game Director
It's actually pretty damn amazing to me that people were so firmly on the hype train after that nonsense. I was 100% on board for this bad boy, and then that happened.

This isn't even hindsight. There were a shit ton of people who saw the writing on the wall. But my god were there still an army of folks ready to still "believe".

Then again, I really shouldn't be amazed by this. I've seen the same thing happen (just never on this scale) to other poor to mediocre games like Too Human, Ryse, Knack, etc. Like, anyone with even the faintest bit of common gaming sense should have known those games were going to range from poor to mediocre before they released. But you still had(have) people fighting the good fight despite all the tell tell signs... *shrugs*

Osahi

Why is it so hard for Sony to understand that we want innovative games which focus more on gameplay than story? Death to cinematic games!

And what with people who do enjoy these kind of games? Who like games as a narrative, easy to get into medium?

It's not like Sony does not invest in other types of games. Driveclub can be pretty hardcore driving game. Bloodborne is a hardcore RPG. LBP is a stylish, family friendly platformer. Second son isn't exactly a cinematic corridor shooter either. They made Street Fighter V possible. And they support guys like Hello Games with something like No Man's Sky. Etc. MS is just the same. They funded Ryse and Quantum Break, but also Sunset Overdrive and Forza.

There is no reason whatsoever for Sony not to invest in games like The Order too. They have another ambition maybe then what you seek in a game, but that doesn't mean this type of game is bad. (I felt that The Order was a TPS mixed with some Telltale-like stuff, but without the choices). The Order isn't a very good game (in my opinion it is not a bad one either that warrants the 5s and 6es). RAD made some wrong design decisions and failed to deliver on a compelling story. But that means jack shit for the worth of the genre...

If you don't like these kind of games. Fine. Just stay clear of them, and don't whine because they are not what you want them to be, nor do have the ambition to.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Visually it's moved the bar however the first gameplay footage they showed way back was kinda a hint this game wouldn't fare so well as it didn't show anything new.

I'm glad l waited for the reviews as i'd prefer to wait until it's cheaper.

Wow I'm really disappointed so far by PS4's first party performance, let's hope the rest of this year can turn that around. Everybody's touting this thing as PS2's spiritual successor yet PS3's first party seemed stronger at this point and that shit was nearly impossible to develop for.
Not first party.

The game seems like a waste of potential due to some questionable prioritization by RAD, ultimately resulting in them running out of time to do what they set out to do (which might be why they recycle certain things and don't develop certain story elements). They could have done so much more with it.

I can't understand why gamers give such an importance to reviews ? I never do. And not because I'm some kind of super gamer but because a game reviewer who don't know me, neither my taste or what makes me tick in a game (and it can be a variety of things depending on the game) can't possibly tell me what I'm gonna like. It's not possible unless he or she is a remote mind reader but so far I never met one. I always read the reviews afterward and sometimes I agree and sometimes not.

So I buy the games that I think I will like because I know the kind of gamer that I am. Sometimes it leads me to sadness like when I bought Excalibur on PS1 and sometimes it's a pleasing surprise. In the case of The Order, I was hoping for a good cinematic game with a generic (but effective) gameplay and I got exactly that. Nothing more, nothing less. Plus the visuals are jaw dropping.

I can't spend the time to properly play every game that sort of interests me to see if it's something I really want to play.

Review scores should fill that gap. More and more they don't. The games I always seem to like these days get 7s, while the stuff that gets 10s I hate.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
so you prefer your games rushed out of the gate ala MCC & AC U?

those games are still broken to this day
ACU is most definitely not still broken, it's not as polished as this linear game but it's definitely more than playable now. And it's shocking that even with five years of dev time/two years of full production, that they created a short campaign that leaves plot threads open with only two types of human enemies that you fight throughout the game, with very short samey lycan encounters on top of at best competent TPS gameplay. With little replay value or secrets. Basically

Beyond the issues the games are simply more fun and enjoyable. A game can still be fun with bugs and performance issues.

You can't make a boring experience fun. You can fix bugs.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So many posts in this thread read like high fives and fist bumps. Lol

Feel bad for RAD. What desire would any dev have to make anything better for people after getting spit on like this?

Jobbs

Banned
looks like a fair bit of "gameplay isn't next gen" type stuff, which may or may not be a viable criticism, but nonetheless is one I don't care about. I'll play this and form my own opinion.

I'm curious how much hype influenced the lower scores. I mean, if there was little marketing and hype and this game came out, would the scores differ?

I could be wrong but I think this is the case. I pre-ordered the game and get it shipped tomorrow. I'm not going to refuse shipment or try to get it refunded in any way. I like what I've seen so far so I'm going to play it and judge it for myself.

QaaQer

By the game review score standard, this is a bad game (lol @ anything < 8). However, the reviews lend it as mediocre (outside of a few of the lower scores). I'm still looking forward to playing this in the future at some point. I had no plans to preorder and have no plans to buy at full price.

All of that said, I'm glad this game was made. People saying that cinematic games shouldn't be made for whatever ridiculous reason just shouldn't play them. I'm sure these are the same people that rip on Gone Home any time it is mentioned in the context of it being a game. If someone wants to make a game, they should make a game. Don't let other people control your vision when you have the choice.

That 'death to cinematic games' post being particularly moronic.

BriGuy

The more I think of it, the more this game seems like the first Zone of the Enders. That was also an incredibly hyped game that ended up being really short and really underwhelming.

Unfortunately, 1886 lacks the inclusion of something as awesome as the MGS2 demo to make up for it.

Skynet87

Neo Member
I feel bad for RAD because these guys and girls worked hard on this game and were so happy that it went gold and everything, but it's just not a good game. It's pretty but great graphics don't make a game good. And now they have to deal with a lot of people shitting on something they put so much work into but that's life in the big leagues.

Kowalski

Banned
Might as well get the game since I need a game for my system that rarely gets played. The Order and MLB The Show, my top 2 games baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom