• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Order: 1886 Retrospective + PS5 60fps Gameplay

Spyxos

Gold Member
Still a beautiful game, but I have not managed to finish it after several attempts. I think if they had gotten a second chance for this game, it could have been something good.

Anyway, still a gorgeous looking game and one of my favorite sony 1st party games last gen (bought it twice both physically and digitally). I'm dumbfounded at Sony for not getting Ready at Dawn into the fold when they had the chance...

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Serious question…can anyone remember why people were so hard on this game? I somewhat remember it being mostly about the length of it, but can’t fully remember.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It came out during a time when most people wanted every game to be a 50hr open world game.
That’s what I was thinking too…it’s like we’ve come full circle and people want shorter games lol.

I’d have to look, but I think I got like 12-14 hours or so out of it for the platinum. That’s really not terrible…especially since I wanted Assassins Creed Valhalla to end at like 5 hours lol

Last edited:
I try and pretend this game doesn't exist. Makes it easier to digest we will never get a sequel.

I just love that world, victorian london and secret order fighting different creatures.
Not to mention the fact that you're saved by mother fucking King Arthur in the end. Unbelievable.

We also could have gotten to see 1900's New York CIty or something with Vampires!

End me.

angrod14

I've never seen a game get so much hate before launch. I was super hyped for it but ended up really underwhelmed; it just wasn't fun. Also, I was deeply dissapointed all the cool historical figures were wasted, like Tesla, Jack the Ripper. There were only mere references to them.

VN1X

Banned
Actually really enjoyed this game and would've loved a sequel. The dialogue and character development was a cut above for sure.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I try and pretend this game doesn't exist. Makes it easier to digest we will never get a sequel.

I just love that world, victorian london and secret order fighting different creatures.
Not to mention the fact that you're saved by mother fucking King Arthur in the end. Unbelievable.

We also could have gotten to see 1900's New York CIty or something with Vampires!

End me.
Yep. Was like Underworld meets Kingsman. Man, this hurts even more.

A young Tesla designed your tech. MOTHERFUCKING NIKOLA TESLA!
44170ea40362d9036567ba411ddd2244.png

The lab was so cool too.

Last edited:

squarealex

Defenitly it was Sony mistake not to buy Ready at dawn. More time to polish gameplay and order 1886 sequel on ps5 could be awsome.
If I remember correctly, that was "Ready at Dawn" to be wanted bought by Facebook / Meta. At least, they more favor for Facebook than Sony.... Now they so much lay-off, thanks Meta

Last edited:

The lab was so cool too.
I know man! Do you understand how fucking sick it would be to make Westminster the game's hub world and have Tesla's Lab as the place to upgrade weapons and gear as well as change outfits. If this game had a sequel presented in a more linear-open world fashion comparable to God of War 2018 it would sell like hot cakes.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

The lab was so cool too.

Young Tesla making your Ratchet & Clank esque weapons. Perfection.gif

That's all the first game really needed to me. The length was never an issue for me personally. It released when everyone pined for Ubishit lengths at all times. It was refreshing as shit in 2014 to get a tight experience that didnt waste your time.

What sucked was only being able to play with that thermite gun and whatever the thing was that shot out those electrical bolts and literally nuke popped guys into blood and dust (reminded me A LOT of that one gun from District 9).

We needed more experimental weaponry. What a dick tease :messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

leizzra

As much as I’d like to see a sequel to The Order I believe it’s unfair to blame only Sony. Non of us worked there so you don’t know how the cooperation looked.

As I recall Sony Santa Monica helped with the production. There were also rumors that Sony is buying RaD. Maybe that was the plan but the production wasn’t going smooth and after launch Sony decided that they don’t want to go through this again.

Anyway for RaD it wasn’t easy, they had new CEO and left AAA games. Maybe it speaks about the problems they had. Now they belong to Meta and it’s over. Still I like to think that some day Sony or one of their studios purpose a sequel and they contact Ru for cooperation. Eh, won’t happen but I can dream;).

This game was absolute trash. It would have been a mediocre budget priced tech demo launch title, let alone a full priced release a year+ into the generation. I got the plat in one four hour play through and never went back.

Idk what is worse, the terribly written story or the fact that the developers treated the story like a high quality work of art. Also hated how any time you got a cool weapon the game seemed to tease you with it for a couple of firefights then took it away. Really killed any potential replay value for me.

Game has a lots of potential. It's still a mediocre game but the world, character concept, lore,.. are really interesting. Core gameplay is good too except the melee.
Would be great if we can see a sequel. Naughty Dog can be a perfect fit for this IP.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Impressive graphics. A 4k update and I'd think it was a new release. Surely got to be up there as one the best graphics of last gen.

havoc00

I enjoyed the game tbh, I only got it for 5 bucks so that may be why, if I paid 60 i'd prob feel differently

Mokus

Serious question…can anyone remember why people were so hard on this game? I somewhat remember it being mostly about the length of it, but can’t fully remember.
If I remember well, the gameplay was the biggest issue. I liked the atmosphere and the story also was interesting. There are well liked games with bad gameplay, but with great story and atmosphere like the "Deadly Premonition", but The Order 1886 was also very short... like you only got half of the game.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The gameplay was total mess & boring as hell. They tried to make their own Gears of war & failed hard.
Fair enough! Yea I do remember the gameplay being slow, with potential. The story did it for me. I’m still putting it at a 7/10 tops though. Would love to revisit with quality of life improvements though.

PeteBull

Game was too short/unfinished, i played my copy few weeks after launch, it bombed so hard it got discounted to like 20-25$ only after few weeks, enjoyed it a lot for the graphics and setting, shooting mechanics were great too, what sucked were boss fights vs those werewolves, which was terrible quick time event, very boring, so basically game started great, then after like 5-6hours of fun time u got 2 boring qte bossfights and thats it, story was basically ended half way with it barely picking up w/o culmination or ending.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Game was too short/unfinished, i played my copy few weeks after launch, it bombed so hard it got discounted to like 20-25$ only after few weeks, enjoyed it a lot for the graphics and setting, shooting mechanics were great too, what sucked were boss fights vs those werewolves, which was terrible quick time event, very boring, so basically game started great, then after like 5-6hours of fun time u got 2 boring qte bossfights and thats it, story was basically ended half way with it barely picking up w/o culmination or ending.
With you on the price for sure. I think I got it around $19.99 or something not terribly long after releases. I might feel different about it if I paid full price lol

Top Bottom