• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (20th Anniversary)

Grizzo

I use a big version of that as my computer wallpaper.

Good choice ! :D It's beautiful, right ? I don't know what it is about that picture that makes me feel so happy yet so melancholic too when I look at it... It is such a great scene, nice and simple.

jackal27

Banned
Lots of Zelda games have poignant emotional moments. What specifically worked for you in this scene?

Just something about how relaxing and quiet it is. There really isn't much going on. You guys are just staring out at the ocean. It's fantastic.

Also, why do you guys prefer the original version? DX was the first one I played. Am I missing something?

Beautiful game. I loved my Gameboy for this game alone.

I never played the Gameboy color version. Time to track it down and bust out the Super Gameboy.

YEuJE6R.png

I love this game so much I used it as my phone wallpaper. I have so many fond memories of it. It the first game I've ever finished. I used to play it on my big brother's Game Boy. Plus the soundtrack is lovely.

Whew lovely, where did you find that?

i've tried a quick search and came up empty.

fates

Along with LTTP, my favorite game of the franchise and one of my favorite games of all time. To me it was a perfect game and still holds up.

Zekes!

I use a big version of that as my computer wallpaper.

Same here.

Anyways, as much as I love the game I gotta echo the opinion that the game can be a little cumbersome. Moving around the overworld becomes such a chore as you're having to constantly switch items to move through out the screens. It's also stupid that the Power Bracelet is an equipable item, while the Flippers aren't.

I remember liking the Oracle games more when I was a kid, so it'll be interesting to see if my opinion holds up when I replay those when I'm done with this.

edit: It just dawned on me why the Power Bracelet is equipable: lack of buttons. It still sucks though

DonMigs85

Not my favorite but I have fond memories of this game - it was the first Zelda to really have great, funny characterizations.

Roto13

Easily my favourite Gameboy game and my favourite Zelda, also the first time I saw a name for Mario's Chomps, so they're always Bow-wow to me (taking him for a walk was great).

He was designed for Zelda anyway!

• By the way, there were several characters in this game that also appeared in Mario. Was that your idea, Mr. Tezuka?

Tezuka: We’d had concept art for Bow-Wow lying around for awhile. We’d put it aside thinking we might make use of it if we could, but someone discovered it and ended up using it for their own purposes.

Same here.

Anyways, as much as I love the game I gotta echo the opinion that the game can be a little cumbersome. Moving around the overworld becomes such a chore as you're having to constantly switch items to move through out the screens. It's also stupid that the Power Bracelet is an equipable item, while the Flippers aren't.

That's because lifting is an action that has to be mapped to one of the two buttons. Swimming is just something that happens when you go into deep water. You can't do anything else anyway, so there's no need to manually equip the flippers when you want to swim.

EDIT: Stop editing. :(

I wish Nintendo would've done a full 3D remake of this game instead of remaking Wind Waker.

Yeah, I know what you are going to say "That would've been too much work!".

Yeah, but it also would;ve been far more exciting.

I'm gonna be honest, I never found Link's Awakening to be that great. The world was incredibly annoying to navigate (as were the menus and equipment), the dungeons were weak (the only game with less memorable dungeons is Twilight Princess), and the story was too predictable.

Although I do give it props for being the first game in the series to really have me remember the characters (I find LTTP to be vastly superior, but I don't remember a single character from the game). And the sword combat was the first time in the series where the sword wasn't incredibly annoying to use.

It's definitely a good game, but it was outdone by Seasons/Ages and Minish Cap, even though those have many of the same problems as well.

4lejandro

I enjoyed Link's Awakening and the Oracle series on the GB, though to be honest I played a little of L.A. on the Gameboy when it first came out (not the DX version) and didn't finish it, but later played them on my psp :3

Why aren't there any 2D overhead games with today's graphics? I would love some old school games for my vita (JRPG's and Zelda types with Rayman Legend's graphics :drool).

I'm gonna be honest, I never found Link's Awakening to be that great. The world was incredibly annoying to navigate (as were the menus and equipment), the dungeons were weak (the only game with less memorable dungeons is Twilight Princess), and the story was too predictable.

Although I do give it props for being the first game in the series to really have me remember the characters (I find LTTP to be vastly superior, but I don't remember a single character from the game). And the sword combat was the first time in the series where the sword wasn't incredibly annoying to use.

It's definitely a good game, but it was outdone by Seasons/Ages and Minish Cap, even though those have many of the same problems as well.

I think the vast majority of people here will say that TP's dungeons are easily some of the best and most memorable in the entire series.

CTLance

Doesn't that just mean you can buy the bow sooner since you wouldn't have to wait until you got 999 rupees? ie, After reaching 300 rupees, you'd be able to buy it (assuming it's in the shop, which I think is triggered by buying the shovel?).
Nah, it just means you retain a part of your rupees since you still need to actually buy the item - you just interrupt the game from detracting the full amount from your wallet by saving-and-quitting right in the middle.

Speaking about the bow this means you still need the full 999 rupees to buy it - but you get to keep most of them, usually around 700 (depending on your speed of course).

If you're quick that means the shovel can be bought for less than 200 rupees.

Wow awesome, I remember getting this when it came out. It was such a blast as a kid and it holds up perfectly even today. This is right behind Link to the Past as my favorite in the series.

Heretic

Wow. I'm playing through it for the first time right now and I'm at the boss for Level-7. Meaning I'm very close to the end. Looks like I'll beat it today on the 20th anniversary.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rank it among the best in the series.

I haven't played Ages/Seasons, though, but plan to soon. How do you guys feel it compares to LA? I'm assuming they're built off essentially the same engine.

[edit] Q - was the 'Color Dungeon' or whatever it's called only added in the DX version to show off the GBC capabilities? What else was new?
Awesome! Glad you're loving it. I feel the same.

Other additions were the new tunics, red/blue, that gave you extra strength or defense respectively. One other thing I remember was a little photo album mini side quest where you had to be a certain location doing a certain thing at a certain part of the game. Some guy would appear and take a picture for your photo album.

Mabase

and it's still got the most epic intro of any Zelda

Dude, when the music kicks in.... Goosebumps!

I also got the original version as a kid. Fantastic game that still holds up very well today, especially the music and the amazing love for details, the funny dialogue and... NAKED MERMAIDS!

I love it.

HCgamer

magical game the references to
mario's universe mario luigi yoshi peach chain chomp in game
add to the fun timeles

I felt so bad when I had to fight
Yeta. :( She was so nice.

Yeah :(
Everything works out in the end, though! I love that Yeto was making her food since she was feeling under the weather <3 Goddamn adorable Yetis <3

I like the sad undertones in a lot of the Zelda games. The Ghost quest in Link's Awakening... it serves little else but to add flavor to the game, but I love it so, so much. I love that little ghost.

This is definitely my favorite handheld zelda, and second only to lttp. Such an awesome game. I got busted playing it in my desk during world history class in high school and thankfully didn't have the gameboy taken away.

Great game, in fact just finished LA today for the first time! I was happy with the moderate difficulty, never could find all the seashells though!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Like I've mentioned in the other Link's Awakening thread, this was my first and my favorite Zelda of all time. I am currently playing through it in a LP on YouTube too. I haven't played through it in years. 20 years old? TWENTY YEARS OLD? Seriously? Wow. I am old. I got this when I was 13. And again when it came out on the GBC.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Dude, when the music kicks in.... Goosebumps!

I also got the original version as a kid. Fantastic game that still holds up very well today, especially the music and the amazing love for details, the funny dialogue and... NAKED MERMAIDS!

I love it.

and what about that camera panning while Marin's waking him up?

how ironic it is that a tiny 8-bit cart has been home to such a cinematic scene

I remember I got stuck for two years because I couldn't find the Yoshi doll. I had the B&W version, and I totally thought that thing in the crane game looked like a parrot. To make things worse, I even tried catching it once or twice, but the game did that thing where it looks like you *totally* caught something, but then you dont get it. So I assumed it was nothing.

Great game though!

Played this as a kid, 13 or 14 years ago. Loved it so much! Still remains one of my favorite games ever. Now that I think of it, it's probably the game that really got me into games. It's challenging but never unfair, and it's just... an amazingly charming, engaging game. I still know the Ballad of the Wind Fish by heart.

D.Lo

Equal with Super Metroid for tightest ever game design.

And one of the best games ever made.

Original version is sligtly superior, the added stuff was a bit bolted on.

Roto13

I abused the select glitch in the original version so much that the fish in the fishing minigame were worth random amounts of rupees. In every save file. My copy of the game was "ruined" forever.

I abused the select glitch in the original version so much that the fish in the fishing minigame were worth random amounts of rupees. In every save file. My copy of the game was "ruined" forever.

me too but I never got the fish glitch. I simply found my way to various parts of the dungeons that I shouldn't be in and had a hard time getting back where I needed to be because I couldn't select warp my way back over to the right side of the screen I wanted to be.

:/

Top Bottom