• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (20th Anniversary)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Was lucky enough to be a kid when it first released.

Incredible game and up there as one of the best in the series. Some of the dungeons are maddening. Great stuff.

The very first game I owned with my OG fat Gameboy. Never got a chance to play the DX version, I should probably look into that.

Ithil

vBdb7XI.jpg

THIEF.

I feel this was easily one of the best GameBoy games. I remember getting this when it came out as a birthday present. And it was probably one of the most played games I've ever owned. There was even the time where my younger brother stole my Gameboy with Zelda and had left it at a friends house, on their porch and in the rain. Totally ruined it. Thankfully my mom came through (either on Christmas or my Birthday) with a new Gameboy Pocket (clear) and a new copy of Zelda.

I would play this game non-stop on my time off. I even got to the point where I would clear the entire thing in just under a day. Trading mission and all. It had great level design, the story was memorable and it had a really sad ending.

I played Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 on the NES, but this is the one that really drew me in. This is the one where I'll always remember little things like the Yoshi doll, Chomp-omp and more. This was also my first purchase on the 3DS eShop. There was just no possible way I could NOT have this game with me.

Besides the Pokemon games and Metroid Fusion, I can't think of anything better portable than the handheld Zelda games. Simply amazing, I could replay them all any day.

Kyzon

This (Along with the Oracles), is my favorite game of all time. The art is perfect in game.
You have enough detail to get the picture, but not so much that you won't leave the game without your own interpretations in your mind.

I miss games like this, where they gave you a building block visually, and you filled in the spaces yourself. It's what fuels imagination and give me the motivation to think outside of the box.

Also, this was my first Zelda game. My Godmother bought me a Gameboy and this game one Christmas. Best Christmas ever.

Jak140

Oh man the memories. I never really played console games as much as the Game Boy. So many of my favorite games on were on GB: Wario Land 1 & 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Pokemon R&B, Metal Gear Ghost Babel, and my favorite single player game of all time, Link's Awakening.

MrKaepora

My first Zelda game and maybe because of that, I still consider it the best one in the series.

Had a lot of history with it too:
- The game was given to me as replacement by a friend of mine because he lost my copy of Mario Land.
- It was thanks to this game that I learned english (always with a dictionary while playing)
- When I was just about to finish it, there was a power failure in my house and I had to end the game under an oil lamp. It was the original version. I can't believe I'm not wearing glasses.

That ending still gets me.

Absolutely fantastic game. Started playing through it on the 3ds a little while ago but got stuck on the fetch quest for a doll using bananas or something? :(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This is my favorite Legend of Zelda game. I didn't even beat it until like 2 years ago but man did I love every second of it. Tal Tal heights is such a good tune.

I still can't decide if I like this or ALttP better. They really need to bring back the piece of power, though (albeit minus the kinda blaring music), it made it practically impossible for me to become bored of the combat.

RedSwirl

So the wind fish is is the dreamer, and Link is populating Koholint with his subconscious (LA characters being based on ALTTP characters)?

Edit: Holy shit, and the dream dungeon is then a dream within a dream.

Socreges

Banned
So the wind fish is is the dreamer, and Link is populating Koholint with his subconscious (LA characters being based on ALTTP characters)?

Edit: Holy shit, and the dream dungeon is then a dream within a dream.
20 years after its release, on the last dungeon and about to beat the game, and I get the game spoiled. Nice...

My fault for reading this thread, I guess, but I didn't expect people to discuss it openly.

Roto13

20 years after its release, on the last dungeon and about to beat the game, and I get the game spoiled. Nice...

My fault for reading this thread, I guess, but I didn't expect people to discuss it openly.

If you're on the last dungeon, how do you not know this already?

CTLance

I'm-
Ah-yup.

Has it been 20 years already?! Hot diggity damn. Such a great game. I remember playing it until the batteries gave out while saving after harrassing a certain mermaid. Shrugged off the inevitably corrupted save file and was happy to be able to play through the game AGAIN. That's how addicted to this game I was, and in a sense, still am.

My friend accused me of spoiling the game for him... when the game's been out 20 years... and he's owned it like 15 years. And he's never completed it. And the first thing the owl says to you is "Hoo! So you've come to wake the dreamer!"

Cheebo

Banned
I can't believe we went 5 years without any Nintendo Zelda games.

Well if you count Yoshi's Island as a spin-off rather than a mainline Mario game we went about 5 years between Mario platformers too. Nintendo released way less games in the 90's they do now.

Honestly my favorite Zelda, just as i was the right age when it came out to really truly be captivated by the world, design and music.

I've recently started playing through the Oracle games for the first time (almost done seasons, though left my bloody 3DS at work or i'd be polishing it off right now) and am kind of shocked at the amount of sprite, tile and music recycling from Links Awakening given the large amount of time between releases, and what is new when it comes to sprites or music or sound effects in the oracle games is pretty weak compared to Links Awakening. Though it certainly as a lovely overworld. Anyway, not what this thread is about.

Links Awakening, truly one of the best games of my child hood and i still love playing through it every year or two.

CTLance

Oh, and just for the record, I'm throwing my gauntlet down for the original version. Color may be all nice and dandy, but nothing will ever come close to playing this game in its original green-gray beauty.

Also, boy what a neat ending and general theme. So sad. Love that they went and included a certain small addition that took a bit of the sting out of the ending... if you played well enough. You know which one. (Also one of the reason why the color version is worse, IIRC it's easier to get that ending... boooh.)

Who else was crazy enough to get the bow before entering the first dungeon? I always did.

Confession: I didn't understand how to get the Yoshi puppet at first. It never occurred to me to do the obvious, I thought it was some sort of grand prize on display, to be won after cleaning out everything else/spending a certain amount of rupees/etc pp. Boy did I ever try many things to get that damn puppet.

Hint for new players: The shop owner will substract rupees from your wallet rather slowly, so you can save a bunch if you mash buttons to end the dialogue directly after a big purchase when your rupee counter is decreasing and then save quickly while it's still high. IIRC this allows you to purchase the bow for around 2-300 rupees (i.e. 999->699). What you would spend the bonus rupees on I have no idea, but it's neat anyway.

BasilZero

One of the first Zelda games I played.

Loved it so much...never finished it though, managed to get to the end but never really finished it.

I should get back into it and complete it this time ;p.

Socreges

Banned
Oh, and just for the record, I'm throwing my gauntlet down for the original version. Color may be all nice and dandy, but nothing will ever come close to playing this game in its original green-gray beauty.

Also, boy what a neat ending and general theme. So sad. Love that they went and included a certain small addition that took a bit of the sting out of the ending... if you played well enough. You know which one. (Also one of the reason why the color version is worse, IIRC it's easier to get that ending... boooh.)

Who else was crazy enough to get the bow before entering the first dungeon? I always did.

Confession: I didn't understand how to get the Yoshi puppet at first. It never occurred to me to do the obvious, I thought it was some sort of grand prize on display, to be won after cleaning out everything else/spending a certain amount of rupees/etc pp. Boy did I ever try many things to get that damn puppet.

Hint for new players: The shop owner will substract rupees from your wallet rather slowly, so you can save a bunch if you mash buttons to end the dialogue directly after a big purchase when your rupee counter is decreasing and then save quickly while it's still high. IIRC this allows you to purchase the bow for around 2-300 rupees (i.e. 999->699). What you would spend the bonus rupees on I have no idea, but it's neat anyway.
Doesn't that just mean you can buy the bow sooner since you wouldn't have to wait until you got 999 rupees? ie, After reaching 300 rupees, you'd be able to buy it (assuming it's in the shop, which I think is triggered by buying the shovel?).

Yeah well.. you are entering a thread about a 20 year old game. That's the gamble you take. Still great experience nonetheless.

Roto13

Ha, I like that

Kasumin

20th anniversary? Perfect excuse for me to finally get this from the eshop and finish it at last. I remember really enjoying it as a kid, but I got stuck on the Face Shrine. Was there another entrance to that dungeon? To this day, I'm still not sure what had me baffled so much about that one particular dungeon. But I was so confused I just didn't finish it, which was a shame.

Roto13

20th anniversary? Perfect excuse for me to finally get this from the eshop and finish it at last. I remember really enjoying it as a kid, but I got stuck on the Face Shrine. Was there another entrance to that dungeon? To this day, I'm still not sure what had me baffled so much about that one particular dungeon. But I was so confused I just didn't finish it, which was a shame.

There's the Face Shrine where you get the dungeon key, and north of that is the Face SHrine dungeon. Only one entrance to the dungeon itself. But it's a confusing dungeon that a lot of people have trouble with.

Kasumin

There's the Face Shrine where you get the dungeon key, and north of that is the Face SHrine dungeon. Only one entrance to the dungeon itself. But it's a confusing dungeon that a lot of people have trouble with.

Ahhh, okay. I don't think I was so good at puzzle solving back then. I might've even gotten the two confused. It'd be nice to finally figure out that dungeon after all these years, though!

Socreges

Banned
Yeah well.. you are entering a thread about a 20 year old game. That's the gamble you take. Still great experience nonetheless.
Oh yeah. Not complaining at all. I actually skimmed through his post initially and thought there was more to it (eg, forgot that I'd already made it to the Dream Dungeon), but I pretty much knew/suspected everything he'd said.

Top Bottom