• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (20th Anniversary)

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
oCGefg2.jpg

Wikipedia said:
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is a 1993 action-adventure video game developed by Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development and published by Nintendo for the Game Boy. It is the fourth installment in the Legend of Zelda series, and the first for a handheld game console. What became Link's Awakening began as a port of the Super Nintendo title The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, developed after-hours by Nintendo staff. It grew into an original project under the direction of Takashi Tezuka, with a story and script created by Yoshiaki Koizumi and Kensuke Tanabe. The protagonist Link begins the game stranded on Koholint Island, a place guarded by a creature called the Wind Fish. Link then searches for eight musical instruments that will awaken the sleeping Wind Fish and allow him to escape. A remake called The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX was released for the Game Boy Color in 1998; it features color graphics, compatibility with the Game Boy Printer, and an exclusive color-based dungeon. Together, the two versions of the game have sold more than six million units worldwide, and have appeared on multiple game publications' lists of the best games of all time.

The best Gameboy game of all time, and arguably the best in the Zelda series, was released today twenty years ago. This was my most memorable experience with Link with the first console I ever owned. It's my favorite soundtrack of the series and the best play style as well.

What were your experiences with this epic game? Where were you when you first heard the Ballad of the Wind Fish? ^_^

tumblr_m4excsCDzI1qh9dbgo1_500.gif

darylbaxter

Neo Member
It was the first Zelda game I ever played.
I used to get stuck in the second dungeon where you had to kill 3 enemies in a certain order to get the Nightmare Key, I remember that taking me forever.
Then collecting all the shells to get the L2 Sword.
I finally completed my save a couple of years ago which has been there since I got it for a birthday, I think it was about 18 years ago now, incredible it still survives today.
For me, it's the Zelda game that I highly regard more than any other in the series.

I'm slowly making my way through it for the first time.

...Might be the best Zelda. The level of invention on display here is insane. The feeling of empowerment is also handled here better than a lot of the games in the series; each new addition to Link's arsenal is seriously appreciated and almost immediately put to use in a million great ways.

It's got great character, too. The photography scenes are all so worth tracking down.

Roto13

This was my first Zelda (well, aside from little bits of Link to the Past and stuff, but I never played them "seriously") and I loved it. Love the overworld. It's so small but packed so full that it feels a lot bigger than it is.

Now I love the whole series, but Link's Awakening is still my favourite. I replayed it last week, actually, before the Oracles games were released on the 3DS Virtual Console. Still so great.

Cess007

Sorry, but i'll always say that the best GB game was and is Tetris.

That aside, this was the first Zelda i fully played and it was awesome. Totally blew me away with tht Story and the dungeons.

It is, at least, the best portable Zelda of all.

Cyryus

Absolute great game. I am actually a new-comer to Link's Awakening. I missed it all those years ago and just 2 weeks ago, decided I want to play all the hand-held Zelda games that I missed over the years. I wanted to finish Link's Awakening before I picked up the Oracle series on the 3DS VC and then Minishing Cap. I can't believe I skipped over all theses great versions of Zelda! Happy 20 years Koholint Island!

SodaBeam

Neo Member
Great, great game, with a simple and very effective story. I love how the dungeons all have their own music, rather than one overarching dungeon theme like in the games before it.

I didn't have a Game Boy until I was 10 in the year 2000, so I only played Link's Awakening on others' Game Boys as I was in Elementary. I didn't know it was a Zelda game. I always thought of it as "that game with the shovel" and I really thought you were supposed to shovel everything. lol

I first played it seriously in High school, and it became my very favorite 2D Zelda. It is whimsical (characters from various Nintendo games, the "dream" element, Animal Village), different (it has sidescrolling sections, and again, the whimsy), and most interestingly to me, it has a pretty great story.

I really think that it has the best story of all Zelda games, and I feel more *ahem* emotional playing this game than any other Zelda game.

I also like the action in Link's Awakening (and the Oracle games) more than any other 2D Zelda. Your sword really feels like it packs a punch, especially with the Piece of Power, and it makes fighting much more satisfying than other Zelda games.

Banned
Replaying at the moment but still falls flat in the middle. Amazing game asides though, especially with its age and limitations. Incredible

jackal27

Banned
I didn't play it until 1999 or 2000. It was my first 2D Zelda and I got stuck so many times. It's still my favorite 2D Zelda even though I have yet to beat it (gonna do that today actually!)

I love the setting and characters so much. Everything feels like a chill, tiny little adventure.

What other Zelda game has scenes like this?

LinkMarinBeach-400x360.png

Morts

The best Zelda in my opinion. I just replayed it on the 3DS and it holds up amazingly well. So much charm packed in there.

Zekes!

Replaying this too and it's still an awesome game. I doubt I'd call it the best Zelda game, but it's high up there.

Playing through it for the first time now, on the fifth dungeon I think. Unlike Majora's Mask, I actually agree with and can understand the praise.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
My first Game Boy game (had the pack-in with the fat one). Still one of my favorite games of all time. Played the shit out of it as a kid. I remember I accidentally did the select glitch (before I knew that it was a thing) my first playthrough in Eagle's Tower, and go to the instrument and could never go back and beat the boss for that last heart container :(

I really need to pick up DX on my 3DS just so I can have it with me at all times. It's just the perfect handheld game.

I remember when I got this as a kid, I had just gotten the gameboy and played through Mario Land and wanted something else to play. Had money from my bday and bought it at Toys R Us. First Zelda Ive played through and def my favorite. Great memories as a kid, struggling through dungeons and stuff, before the internet was available.

I remember my brother got this game for free from a classmate, complete with the manual. :D

My second favorite Zelda game after Alttp. Simply amazing on every aspect and so full of memorable moments. It had great atmosphere too, especially every time the game foreshadowed what would happen if you wake the wind fish. And that music! So good.

One of the best games ever. I still remember how satisfying it felt to play it. I must have completed this game like 24 times. I mastered up to an art. Cutting every piece of grass, trying to lift every rock, bombing every wall that looked odd, every jump, fall, etc. The overworld felt so rich, man this game is a masterpiece.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Link's Awakening isn't my favorite game ever, but it's probably my most beloved game, if that makes any sense. I still play the original cart version every few years. I've never played the DX version, haha.

And it's my favorite Zelda, barely edging out LTTP.

jackal27

Banned
One of my favorite moments:

YougotMarin.jpg

More adorable sentimental stuff that you won't find in other Zelda games (maybe a little of Skyward Sword)

tumblr_lxmfueqxaU1qfjlqfo1_500.gif

tumblr_m9dmkhBOwY1r4rd9ao1_400.gif

tumblr_m4excsCDzI1qh9dbgo1_500.gif

tumblr_mg0mmlyYxz1rnmjr5o1_r1_500.gif

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Wow... what's funny is I just started playing this game a few days ago amd half way done. I haven't played it since I was 11 years old. Second time I'm playing this game.

Why is it I'm having way more fun playing the original 20 year old, two tone colored (not the dx), Link's Awakening than I did with Wind Waker?

izakq

I thought this would be a short game. But after playing it, I couldn't believe how much was packed into a Gameboy game. Really good game.

Tarin02543

It was the first Zelda game I ever played.
I used to get stuck in the second dungeon where you had to kill 3 enemies in a certain order to get the Nightmare Key, I remember that taking me forever.
Then collecting all the shells to get the L2 Sword.

Same here, I also got stuck at this part. This marked the first and last time I ever phoned a Nintendo hotline (this was pre-internet aka medieval times).

I'm playing this for the first time right now on 3DS.

It's pretty great.

I've just bought Zelda: Oracle of Ages. I tried playing it on an emulator a few years ago but this really needs a small screen for it to be enjoyable.

I'm still in the intro, can't wait to see of the Oracle games are any good.

Jackano

I remember it taking me forever to figure out how to defeat the second dungeon boss.

Me too. Well, not exactly. I figured out I had to throw him with the bracelet but never be able to actually grab him for a while. Had to touch it with the sword or somehting before iirc. Stuck two weeks on that :/

Zoctan

One of the first games I played and I loved it. I'll be downloading it soon on 3DS after I clear some of my backlog.

Top Bottom